Author Topic: Charlottesville and I can't even  (Read 595 times)

Offline jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1031/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
Charlottesville and I can't even
« on: August 12, 2017, 02:26:25 AM »
k what in the actual fuck is going on.

Nazi salutes, Nazi slogans, tiki torches.

What in the actual fuck is going on.

March of white supremacists at University of Virginia ends in skirmishes
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/fights-in-advance-of-saturday-protest-in-charlottesville/2017/08/12/155fb636-7f13-11e7-83c7-5bd5460f0d7e_story.html?utm_term=.9d0e514f426d

This is so fucking surreal to me.  I dunno.  I'm just speechless and wanted to throw my exasperation out in the universe somewhere.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +364/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Charlottesville and I can't even
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 07:24:36 AM »
Free speech, baby!

But yeah, here we are.

Thanks Trump voters. We knew they were cowering below the surface, but now they are crawling out of their holes and playing victims, among other things.

Offline jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1031/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 10:52:55 AM »
...I feel ill.

I keep thinking that I'm overreacting.

I keep hoping that I'm overreacting.

Maybe I'm just overreacting because I'm brown.

Maybe my fear is entirely irrational.

It's just economic anxiety, not fueled by hatred and bigotry.

There is nothing to fear.  This is fine.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

Offline jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1031/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 10:59:39 AM »

Oh and here is this motherfucker's money shot:

- Eddie Izzard

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-9
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 02:27:00 PM »
Remember during the 2016 campaign when Trump said to his followers, "this was the best last change they had" in terms of electing someone who would support them or wink at their activities.  Well, we are seeing the fruits of this development.  Illegal immigrants and now legal immigration are being stopped so whites can maintain their numbers.  This is them taking control.  This is "American Exceptionalism" as they see it.  This is the beginning of a very  ugly period in American history.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +562/-55
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 02:56:07 PM »
So who was it that said Trump supporters aren't white supremacists? I forget.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +139/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 10:56:04 PM »
I feel very strongly about this. Nazis are our ENEMIES. They should be DEALT WITH like enemies. My grandfather slaughtered Nazis like cattle in the 40s and I have the trophies to prove it. Additionally one of them committed an act of terrorism that has left 1 dead and 19 injured. And our SHITBRAIN president says that both sides are equally at fault?  People who are opposed to Nazis are the same as Nazis? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! you can be an American or you can be a Nazi, but any Nazi in America should expect summary execution. Are people really still going to say that Der Fuhrer was elected for reasons other than racism?  Any trump supporter who thinks that still is a bona-fide jackass of the highest order.
"A resurrected person who is also the son of a virgin could still be talking nonsense. There's no logic that says he must be right. " Christopher Hitchens

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +226/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 11:11:57 PM »
I can't believe Trump said both sides are at fault.  How can he think it is wrong to have a peaceful protest against Nazis?  Every time I think he has said the stupidest thing possible he tops himself.

It is chilling how young some of those Nazis are.  These people are our future?  Is there even a chance that these people can be turned from their hate? 
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +139/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 11:17:39 PM »
I can't believe Trump said both sides are at fault.  How can he think it is wrong to have a peaceful protest against Nazis?  Every time I think he has said the stupidest thing possible he tops himself.
indeed, he makes Dubya look like Shakespeare.

It is chilling how young some of those Nazis are.  These people are our future?  Is there even a chance that these people can be turned from their hate?
with copious amounts of bullet therapy.
"A resurrected person who is also the son of a virgin could still be talking nonsense. There's no logic that says he must be right. " Christopher Hitchens

Offline wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +189/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 11:59:32 PM »
Fascism, literally wrapped in US flags. I wonder if Death over Life, Nazi apologist that he is, attended.

...I feel ill.

So do I.

Nausea and fear in response to such hatred and bigotry are entirely appropriate. It's not as if the rounding up, deporting and killing these people want would magically stop once this country's collective melanin content dropped past a certain point.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +308/-114
  • MIGHT DOES NOT MAKE RIGHT
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 04:28:16 AM »

His speech wasn't even sincere.  He kept looking down at his prepared statement that most likely was not written by him.  I was born in 1972 and this is literally the worst thing I've seen in my lifetime! :o :o :o

This opinion may not be popular here but I'm sharing it anyways.  I was thankful for the Christians there on the peaceful protestors side. :angel:  I'm sure there were atheists there but they didn't get an interview and I watched this most of the day yesterday. 

I'm not sure but I think their protest was successful because the statue of Robert E. Lee remains erect.  I'm also not sure if this is accurate but I heard that Lee refused to be buried or have anyone attend his funeral in the Confederate uniform.  Also no Confederate flags. 

MY POSTS CAN TAKE DAYS FOR APPROVAL.....

Online jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1087/-26
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 07:41:31 AM »
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.  This goes for both Trump and the fascists both.

Trump doesn't care about stuff like this unless it affects him, for example.  That's why his prepared (by someone else) speech came across so badly, because he couldn't make it about him.  To be honest, I think most of the people attending that protest only care about themselves too.

Which just emphasizes the need to put a stop to this.  This sort of "protesting" is acutely dangerous.
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +364/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 07:52:06 AM »
[snip]
That's why his prepared (by someone else) speech came across so badly, because he couldn't make it about him. 
[snip]

This is a nuance that far too many will never recognize. At the core of Trump is Trump himself - a level of narcissism not seen in this position in my lifetime. Yes, narcissistic attributes are found all over, especially with people of power, but even in other more subtle ways. But to have a person hold the office of POTUS, and be as selfish and narcissistic as Trump takes it to a new level in the United States.

When every thought, every decision, every desire, every action revolves around self aggrandizement, there is no leadership to be found. It is telling that enough people in this country were unable to distinguish between what they thought was so bad (Hillary Clinton) and what truly is likely the worst personality to ever be considered. The collective conclusions of so many people who thought Trump would be better than Hillary is astounding. What's worse, even if she were truly guilty of "Benghazi" and "emails" and every other accusation they could muster, she was still a better choice for POTUS.

Here we are.

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-2
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 08:17:58 AM »
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 08:20:02 AM by shnozzola »
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-9
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 09:48:06 AM »
Sad day for our country.  I have lost hope of progressing to a society that values knowledge and creating a world of amazement.  The world is regressing and it is not going to be pretty.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +562/-55
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 01:13:08 PM »
Sad day for our country. I have lost hope of progressing to a society that values knowledge and creating a world of amazement. The world is regressing and it is not going to be pretty.

Bold mine.
I see a huge leap of logic here. Care to explain?
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Offline jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1031/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 10:23:48 PM »
Sad day for our country. I have lost hope of progressing to a society that values knowledge and creating a world of amazement. The world is regressing and it is not going to be pretty.

Bold mine.

I think it was screwtape who alluded to what he observed as a global phenomenon of right-wing nationalism growing.  Such phenomenon have been growing in countries besides the US (like France and Britain for example), and yeah it kinda does feel like xenophobic anti-intellectual rhetoric and agendas are more than just in the US.

It feels like our country (the US) is being pulled down in the same way, or in the same undercurrent, as the world.  Now whether or not that's all true, or where some of that originates...I dunno.  There seems to be a growing trend, but I have no solid numbers or anything like that so it's nothing more than a weird gut feeling so I'm not yet acting like it's a real phenomenon yet.

Maybe that isn't what Nick is referring to.  I don't think he was linking this Charlottesville thing specifically with the world regressing comment.  I think it was an afterthought; something he wanted to say after reflecting on how sad this situation is specifically for our country.  I dunno.

On the other hand Ameri-centrism, I think, is still a thing a lot of us Americans suffer from so perhaps it was that too but I don't think so.

- Eddie Izzard

Offline jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1031/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 10:31:57 PM »
Fascism, literally wrapped in US flags. I wonder if Death over Life, Nazi apologist that he is, attended.

If that Holocaust-denying sack of shit didn't go I'm sure he jerked off to the news at home.

- Eddie Izzard

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +434/-5
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 04:51:32 AM »
It seems to be a wealth based problem, and accelerated by the refugee crisis caused by USA. USA caused the GFC, by continually pushing interest rates down to avoid recession. The rest of the world had to follow, because interest rates are global, and arbitrage auto-happens. Greenspan's deregulation idiocy then caused terrible debt packages and ratings fraud. All in all, it's the type of nationalism that occurs when a depression or world war would like to happen, to fix up the economic cycle.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +364/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 08:18:39 AM »

Bold mine.

My opinion, not intending to put words in Nick's reply:

If you know Nick, there is no "leap of logic", just a comment intended to share some dismay. The U.S. is experiencing some severe regression on certain norms thanks to the current sub-human occupying the White House. Applying that to the entire world is not likely what was intended - but it can be said that many parts of the world are either still struggling to create welcoming and inclusive societies, or refuse to even consider it.

Having said that, there are definitely pockets of countries that I would not mind living in if things get worse in the U.S.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +328/-17
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 08:33:57 AM »
these idiots sure do fetishize failure with their confederate battle flags and Nazi nonsense.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +364/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 09:07:57 AM »
these idiots sure do fetishize failure with their confederate battle flags and Nazi nonsense.

And for all of their supposed white pride, some of them sure don't like being broadcast all over social media.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +328/-17
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »

And for all of their supposed white pride, some of them sure don't like being broadcast all over social media.

pretty SOP for cowards and bullies like these idiots.   Every time I hear about the bigoted fools, I always picture the neo-nazis in The Blues Brothers

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +189/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 01:14:22 PM »
I like Trey Crowder's take on it:

I wish I could be as optimistic as he that racism is overall losing ground in the US, but have my doubts. Or is it just that the new social media make it more visible and thus enable such poison to spread more easily?
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +328/-17
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »
I think it's a combination of things. It's always been there and it is more visible.  Trump has encouraged these vermin to come into the light.  Now he wants to pardon that jackass sheriff Arapaio.   He can be forced to read a statement but he doesn't agree with it at all with actions like that.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1130/-38
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 09:01:09 PM »
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.  This goes for both Trump and the fascists both.

It does foe for both.  But stupidity does not adequately explain it all.  Stupidity goes a long way, but Malice is most definitely is involved.
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1130/-38
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 09:32:51 PM »
This is why the United States of America is thoroughly fucked.  Like, I am seriously looking for where to immigrate, fucked.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/trump-supporters-speak-out-on-charlottesville/

You see, this one dumbfuck thinks trump is awesome.  He completely believes trump is getting the shaft from a liberal media conspiracy.  He thinks trump's lame call for unity was awesome.  He thinks "both sides do it".  He thinks black lives matter is a hate group.  He thinks the white man is oppressed.  He is standing there saying neonazis may have a good point.  And facts aren't going to change his mind. 

He thinks these moronic things because his brain has been a septic take in which conservative media takes a giant shit daily. Him and TENS of millions of others. Who think the same awful, moronic things.  And who will not be dissuaded by facts.

To make matters worse, trump appointee to the FCC and all around fuckhead who'd be better off on fire, Ajit Pai, just handed 70% of local markets over to the local version of fox "news".

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/paadj8/the-fcc-is-using-an-obsolete-loophole-to-help-a-pro-trump-media-company-take-over-local-tv

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/14/us/politics/how-a-conservative-tv-giant-is-ridding-itself-of-regulation.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GvtNyOzGogc

That kind of makes it game over.  When Reagan cut taxes on the rich, he empowered the destruction of our democrait republic.  The billionaires have the power.  I believe  are headed toward a very dark time. 

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +434/-5
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 11:33:59 PM »
I'm making up some troll quotes today. You can spread them around the medias. I've got to remind myself to not be reasonable in the newspaper quotes section.

The right always believes that Allah, Vishnu or Snowflake is on their side. It's the principle reason they should not be trusted with machinery more complex than a wet paper bag.
The right always think they are vindicated by Allah, Vishnu, or Cream Tart Popcake, which is why they should only be trusted with wet paper bags. (Here I assume they know what vindicated means, which is a big ask for a cockroach.)

(It's important to put Allah first, to give Christians the heebees. Preferably even leave out Jesus.)

We should listen more to cockroaches and the right wing, even if it's just to get an idea of what pest chemicals to use next.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-9
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »
Social media is putting these guys faces and info up for the world to see.  I think it is great.  Some have lost jobs (if you want to call them jobs) and some families are feeling the heat from their kid's actions.