Author Topic: "Museum of the Bible to offer free admission when it opens in November"  (Read 144 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +328/-17
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
this new "museum" is owned by the TrueChristianstm who run Hobby Lobby. They've been caught trying to smuggle in artifacts from war-torn areas for their nonsense.  I'm guessing this is yet one more Christian museum boondoggle and is no more than a tax write-off. 

"The Museum of the Bible will offer free admission when it opens its 430,000 square-foot facility on Nov. 17, officials announced Friday. The nonprofit museum will suggest a donation of $15 for entry but it will not require guests to pay anything.

“Our mission is to invite all people to engage with the Bible, and with a suggested donation we believe more people will come,” Vice President of Marketing Steven Bickley said.

Operating in a city where many museums have free admission, officials decided a suggested donation was the best policy. “Our goal is to be self-sustaining, so you have a trade-off,” Bickley said. “The rate will go down but we will have a higher volume.”

Museum officials also announced advanced timed passes will be available online starting Aug. 28 at 10 a.m. The tickets extend 90 days and will be available on the website, museumofthebible.org. Individuals may obtain tickets without making a donation, Bickley said.

“The timed-ticket approach is based on the experience of the African American Museum, to help with crowd control,” he said, referring to the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, which opened last year. “We are hoping for the same kind or greater demand for our museum.”"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/08/11/museum-of-the-bible-to-offer-free-admission-when-it-opens-in-november/?hpid=hp_hp-cards_hp-card-local%3Ahomepage%2Fcard&utm_term=.bd91d1ddc19e

and more about it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/museums/a-museum-of-the-bible-meant-to-appeal-to-all-religions/2017/05/04/c316bd26-2f48-11e7-9dec-764dc781686f_story.html?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.3c1e203b3c4e 

It cost $500 million dollars.  I wonder how many meals or beds or hell, homes, that would pay for.   the article above has a odd photo of a classic creepy looking dead tree and stone walls around it.  Now what the heck does this have to do with the bible?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:13:06 PM by velkyn »
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +226/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: "Museum of the Bible to offer free admission when it opens in November"
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:20:05 PM »
What would the world be like if churches spent their money on charity instead of evangelism and proselytizing?
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1130/-38
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 06:59:50 AM »
the article above has a odd photo of a classic creepy looking dead tree and stone walls around it.  Now what the heck does this have to do with the bible?

Tree of life?  You know, after The Fall.  Or maybe it was the tree Judas hung himself on?  Or one of the mean talking trees Dorothy and scarecrow found on their way to Oz?  Wait, that was in the Bible, wasn't it?
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-9
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 02:29:22 PM »
Can we touch the stolen artifacts from around the world?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +562/-55
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 02:54:41 PM »
Can we touch the stolen artifacts from around the world?

Of course not. Look but don't touch. Or are you some kind of thief?
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +328/-17
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 08:11:23 AM »
Tree of life?  You know, after The Fall.  Or maybe it was the tree Judas hung himself on?  Or one of the mean talking trees Dorothy and scarecrow found on their way to Oz?  Wait, that was in the Bible, wasn't it?

the mean trees are exactly what I was thinking of.   of course perhaps it is the sycamore tree that Zacheus was up in, a la the song I *still* remember from bible school.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +58/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 02:05:38 PM »
Museum of the Bible

museum definition, meaning, what is museum: a building where objects of historical, scientific, or artistic interest are kept:

Wonder what REAL ITEMS they will have on display?  Most museums I'm aware of have things like real dinosaur bones or paintings by the original artist. The word museum makes me think they will have authentic items on display (like was mentioned in the bible). I can't wait to see the burning bush, maybe we'll be able to talk to God like Moses did.
The Greatest Story Ever Told Was So Wrong

Been Two thousand Years and He Ain't Shown Yet,

We Kept His Seat Warm and The Table Set.

The Greatest Story Ever Told Was So Wrong, So Wrong.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-9
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 04:37:28 PM »
Trees are used a lot in the bible.  Remember how it is legal to beat your wife with a stick of a certain size from a tree.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1130/-38
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 08:54:03 PM »
Trees are used a lot in the bible.  Remember how it is legal to beat your wife with a stick of a certain size from a tree.

I think that was the Koran.
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-9
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 12:01:18 PM »

I think that was the Koran.
Might be...it is so hard to keep all these holy books straight.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-9
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 12:04:42 PM »
Free admission...right, an old coach of mine always said, "there are no free lunches".