Author Topic: the next Doctor is a woman  (Read 287 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-17
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
the next Doctor is a woman
« on: July 16, 2017, 03:30:21 PM »
I'm a nerd and am looking forward to seeing Dr. Who as a woman.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +464/-9
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
Re: the next Doctor is a woman
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 04:13:50 PM »
Are *people* melting down and/or falling to pieces yet?
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +290/-34
  • 7.499 billion people chose non violence today.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 04:15:20 PM »
Just saw that today. The mrs. and I both figured it's about damn time. I mean, the Master was a woman once...why not the Doctor?

When I criticize political parties or candidates, I am not criticizing you. If I criticize you, there will be no doubt in your mind as to what I am saying.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-17
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 04:43:32 PM »

oh yes.  the usual suspects.  Much whining from the MRAs and garden variety misogynists. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +290/-34
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 04:52:02 PM »

oh yes.  the usual suspects.  Much whining from the MRAs and garden variety misogynists.

Really, who cares if some people are melting down over this?
When I criticize political parties or candidates, I am not criticizing you. If I criticize you, there will be no doubt in your mind as to what I am saying.

Online Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +330/-9
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 05:06:23 PM »
So will we be able to see this doctor under Trumpcare?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +470/-40
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 05:32:14 PM »

Because it means something.
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +464/-9
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 05:36:55 PM »

I care, that's why I asked the question.

If what you want to know is WHY I care, well, because I think the near hysterics, and threats to never watch the show again will be hilarious. And yes, I absolutely do take a certain amount of pleasure from that sort of "AKKK! Someone is doing something I disapprove of!" nonsense.

I might be the shallow bitch archtype eh! is trying to warn all of you about. <shrugs>
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:40:15 PM by Jag »
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +290/-34
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 06:07:08 PM »

If what you want to know is WHY I care, well, because I think the near hysterics, and threats to never watch the show again will be hilarious. And yes, I absolutely do take a certain amount of pleasure from that sort of "AKKK! Someone is doing something I disapprove of!" nonsense.

I might be the shallow bitch archtype eh! is trying to warn all of you about. <shrugs>

Well, I don't think of you as an acrchetypal bitch but I am curious if you feel the same bemusement towards everyone who melts down whenever someone does something they disapprove of?

For example, do you get a good chuckle whenever people get offended by local court houses erecting a monument of the 10 commandments?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 06:59:51 PM by Mr. Blackwell »

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +457/-109
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 07:49:10 PM »
Hope it doesn't go the way of the ghost busters fail or marvels attempt to diversify leading to drop in sales.

Why not a male superwoman or better yet a trans superhero.

There took the gender baiting.
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +464/-9
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 08:36:42 PM »

Well, I don't think of you as an acrchetypal bitch but I am curious if you feel the same bemusement towards everyone who melts down whenever someone does something they disapprove of?

For example, do you get a good chuckle whenever people get offended by local court houses erecting a monument of the 10 commandments?
I would if they reacted by going on Facebook and claiming that in protest, they were never setting foot inside the local courthouse again. That's a closer analogy, IMHO. And in truth, that would more likely just get an eye roll from me.

It's a series - and a revival of the original series at that. That people are this upset over the Doctor being played by a woman is more than a little silly. It's just my opinion, you're welcome to see it differently. We ARE talking about a tv show after all.

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +290/-34
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 10:51:13 PM »
I haven't looked, so, I haven't seen anyone get upset or vow to never watch Dr. Who again. Is it merely an assumption that people are posting on Facebook, or anywhere else, that they are boycotting the show because the main character is now going to be female? I mean, how serious is this outrage? Are business going to pull their advertising? Like you say, like I insinuated, it's just a show...so...who cares?

And if some people are boycotting the show/or it's advertisers....what percentage of the population is it?

Azdgari said "because it means something" In his response to my question of who cares.

Now, I don't know if he was making a joke or if he was being serious. I took it as a joke, a play on words in reference to Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

But if he was serious and you are serious then I have to point my finger and laugh at you both because I don't give a fuck if some little butt hurt snowflake doesn't like the idea of the Doctor being played by a woman. They are perfectly entitled to their opinions no matter how much we may disagree with it.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:54:08 PM by Mr. Blackwell »

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +470/-40
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 11:39:27 PM »
Is that how you feel about every instance of religious insanity that gets posted here, too?
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +100/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 02:20:31 AM »
My boyfriend (who is more of a fan of this programme than me though I have watched and enjoyed some episodes) isn't terribly keen on the idea (he kind of got his hopes up that Chris Marshall would be given the part as he really likes him). I personally think it's likely to make a very interesting change and that it makes plenty of sense given the type of being that Dr Who is!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:26:50 AM by Emma286 »

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +100/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 02:24:18 AM »
I mean, the Master was a woman once...why not the Doctor?

Exactly!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-17
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 08:51:45 AM »

indeed.  This nonsense just underlines that there is a real problem, though the expression of idiots does make it funny. 

Hope it doesn't go the way of the ghost busters fail or marvels attempt to diversify leading to drop in sales.

Why not a male superwoman or better yet a trans superhero.

There took the gender baiting.

congrats at looking silly again.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:54:58 AM by velkyn »

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +464/-9
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 09:32:05 AM »
I haven't looked, so, I haven't seen anyone get upset or vow to never watch Dr. Who again. Is it merely an assumption that people are posting on Facebook, or anywhere else, that they are boycotting the show because the main character is now going to be female? I mean, how serious is this outrage? Are business going to pull their advertising? Like you say, like I insinuated, it's just a show...so...who cares

I haven't 'looked' either, I saw several posts in my FB feed yesterday on the subject. I followed a link to a Twitter storm of people freaking the hell out about this, and yes, threatening to boycott the show because this doctor will be played by a female. I have no idea how seriously to take those threats, I was too busy laughing about it to give it much thought.

As to how serious the outrage is, I have no idea - I try to avoid cultivating real life relationship with people who flip the fuck out over nothing.

Given that the news is quite new, I have no idea what, if anything, advertisers are going to do in response. Quite likely nothing.

And if some people are boycotting the show/or it's advertisers....what percentage of the population is it?

Azdgari said "because it means something" In his response to my question of who cares.

Now, I don't know if he was making a joke or if he was being serious. I took it as a joke, a play on words in reference to Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

But if he was serious and you are serious then I have to point my finger and laugh at you both because I don't give a fuck if some little butt hurt snowflake doesn't like the idea of the Doctor being played by a woman. They are perfectly entitled to their opinions no matter how much we may disagree with it.

I said people are losing their shit about this. I also said that I find it funny. If your response to demand details that are not available, and to point your finger and laugh at me, go right ahead. I'm not even remotely suggesting that people are not entitled to react however they wish to, but by the same reasoning, I'm equally free to find their indignation hilarious. Your giving yourself that very same freedom, so I'm a little confused.

What's the problem Mr. Blackwell?  I don't get how this has turned into a 'thing' for you. I'm not getting your point here, at all.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:34:15 AM by Jag »

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +464/-9
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 10:05:52 AM »
It occurred to me that the basis of my confusion may not be as clear as I would like so consider this an addendum to the previous post.

I don't give a fuck if some little butt hurt snowflake doesn't like the idea of the Doctor being played by a woman.
You give enough of a fuck to refer to them as little butt hurt snowflakes.

They are perfectly entitled to their opinions no matter how much we may disagree with it.

You call them names that strongly suggest that you also have some feelings on this matter, then more or less call out both Adzgari and I for commenting on the exact same people you just called little butt hurt snowflakes. I would appreciate it if you could make your complaint a bit more clear. You seems to be applying two different standards here and I'm quite curious about why.

Let's be serious here - I'm not chasing them around the internet making fun of them for being upset. I'm on an atheist forum, commenting that I find the indignation amusing. What's so controversial about that?

Offline jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1025/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 10:15:54 AM »
I haven't looked, so, I haven't seen anyone get upset or vow to never watch Dr. Who again. Is it merely an assumption that people are posting on Facebook, or anywhere else, that they are boycotting the show because the main character is now going to be female?
Well there are a good number of people on the Twitter at least who are declaring their abandonment of Dr. Who, who are complaining about the 'over-PC'-ing of the world, of how gender implicitly creates different expectations from a character who is an ineffable Time Lord alien who reincarnates as a new creature on the regular[1].

So no dude, it is not merely an assumption.

I mean, how serious is this outrage? Are business going to pull their advertising?
Are you asking how serious it is in relation to the profitability and longevity of the Dr. Who franchise?  It's probably not terribly serious for it.  I would assume few to no businesses would pull their associations with the franchise, or even just this incarnation of the franchise.

The TV show isn't the issue, Mr. Blackwell.

Like you say, like I insinuated, it's just a show...so...who cares?
Dr. Who is a TV show but the whole "the Doctor cannot and should not be a woman" is a mentality, and I care that such a mentality is pervasive in society.  Should I not care that such a mentality is pervasive in society?

I don't care about the TV show, I care about the mentality behind the outrage.  The gender bias is an endemic problem, built into the very core of our culture.  That such gender biasing expresses itself in places like pop culture does not diminish the issues that come with the gender bias, nor does it reduce the need to call it out when it is seen.

Hiding the gender bias by asking people to just shut their damn traps whenever examples of it show up certainly doesn't help.

No idea.

Of course they are entitled to their opinion.  They are not entitled protection from derision for their shitty opinion.  Do you think people are calling for some manner of legislation to prevent them from having a shitty opinion?  To have them arrested for bitching about Dr. Who being a woman?

In what way is this thread, explicitly or implicitly, calling for removal of their entitlement of having this shit opinion?  Is part of that entitlement that 'jdawg70 does not think they are assholes' or 'jdawg70 will not let them know they are assholes' an implicit or explicit aspect of that entitlement?
 1. This is me calling the Dr. Who fans pissed about this morons by-the-by.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +100/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 10:22:07 AM »
I have to wonder if this reaction to Jodie Whittaker playing the part is to do with a number of these people not being very adaptable to change generally. Might explain, at least in part, this over the top reaction!

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +557/-55
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 10:35:36 AM »
It's quite sad that any time a female actress is asked to play a typically male role (even if it's completely justified within the context of the series it's in), people like a certain member who commented in this thread cry out "discrimination" and "sexism". Yet those very same people will tell you there's absolutely nothing wrong with white people playing characters that are not supposed to be white. I guess that says a lot about them.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +100/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 11:04:31 AM »
Yup, double standards at work!

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +100/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 12:14:34 PM »
Wonder if this article might shed some light on things:

The comfort zone, as defined by Lifehacker, is a “behavioral space where your activities and behaviors fit a routine and pattern that minimizes stress and risk” — the operative words here being stress and risk. In our comfort zone, there is a sense of familiarity, security and certainty. When we step outside of our comfort zone, we’re taking a risk, and opening ourselves up to the possibility of stress and anxiety; we’re not quite sure what will happen and how we’ll react.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/26/stepping-outside-your-comfort-zone_n_5872638.html

Of course, watching a female actress play a character instead of a male actor isn't putting us at any risk at all! But could still be relevant...

I'm currently trying to change some of my time management habits. Part of my mind is strongly rebelling against it, even though I know full well that this would be a very good thing for me! I suspect that this most likely has a fair bit to do with that.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:19:57 PM by Emma286 »

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +464/-9
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 12:21:59 PM »
For Mr B: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4029610/jodie-whittaker-revealed-as-new-doctor-who/

The comments show a range of reactions to the news. And yes, there are people, mostly men, declaring that they will never watch the show again because the new Doctor is a woman. So yeah, people appear to be falling to pieces just as I asked in the beginning of this topic.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +100/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 12:31:48 PM »
Oh boy. Someone had to go and write "Jesus is a man" as some kind of apparent argument for Dr Who remaining a guy! *rolls eyes*

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +557/-55
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 12:55:47 PM »
Oh boy. Someone had to go and write "Jesus is a man" as some kind of apparent argument for Dr Who remaining a guy! *rolls eyes*

This individual should probably be told that Jesus was also brown-skinned, being middle-eastern and all.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-17
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 01:17:01 PM »
I do wish that they would have picked a woman who was a red-head.  I very much like how Whittaker looks though. 

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +100/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2017, 02:21:47 PM »

This individual should probably be told that Jesus was also brown-skinned, being middle-eastern and all.

Definitely!

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +167/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 02:34:05 PM »
...religion is simply tribalism with a side order of philosophical wankery, and occasionally a baseball bat to smash...anyone who doesn't show...deference to the tribe's chosen totem.

~Astreja

To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place.

~Sam Harris