Author Topic: God is an arm-eating shark  (Read 139 times)

Offline wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +189/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
God is an arm-eating shark
« on: June 12, 2017, 08:42:11 PM »
To be clear, this woman has my sympathy as a survivor of such a horrendous event:

http://myfox8.com/2017/06/12/nc-woman-who-lost-arm-in-shark-attack-he-had-my-whole-arm-in-his-mouth/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

It's just this quote...
“I’m thankful to be able to share this story and I hope, and I know, that it’s going to change people’s lives because you can’t hear this story and not see God in it,” she told the station.

The compartmentalized thinking of believers never fails to astonish me.

Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +364/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: God is an arm-eating shark
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 09:12:35 PM »
Ah, thank God the shark did not kill me. God left me with my other arm, and some legs...and I'm alive!

Imagine if God had not created sharks in the first place. But alas, as with everything God does, sharks have a purpose!

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +562/-55
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 02:25:40 AM »
Imagine if God had not created sharks in the first place. But alas, as with everything God does, sharks have a purpose!

She probably prayed to drop about 10 pounds quickly. Problem solved. Unfortunately, she's also gonna have to learn how to write again, assuming she was right-handed, but you know what they say... DA LAWD works in mysterious ways.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 02:47:00 AM »
On this:

I’m thankful to be able to share this story and I hope, and I know, that it’s going to change people’s lives because you can’t hear this story and not see God in it,” she told the station.

I know what you mean Wright! Have to say that reading that last bit also irritated me, even though I feel badly for what that woman must have gone through.

I am surprised to learn that she felt no pain, before realising that her arm was in the sharks mouth!
:-o Maybe there's a way that sharks can (somehow) manage that kind of thing that I'm ignorant on. Still, would've been my guess that she'd have immediately been feeling the puncture effects of its teeth!

Still, I do seem to remember that, in the book Jaws, that the woman character described as being attacked at the start is supposed to go through something similar (in terms of not immediately feeling anything pain wise to start with). This story and remembering that is making me wonder if this might be a common thing with shark attacks on people!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +328/-17
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 06:28:29 AM »
this god answered the shark's prayers.  Nom nom nom!
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +364/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 07:05:07 AM »
On this:

I’m thankful to be able to share this story and I hope, and I know, that it’s going to change people’s lives because you can’t hear this story and not see God in it,” she told the station.

I know what you mean Wright! Have to say that reading that last bit also irritated me, even though I feel badly for what that woman must have gone through.

I am surprised to learn that she felt no pain, before realising that her arm was in the sharks mouth!
:-o Maybe there's a way that sharks can (somehow) manage that kind of thing that I'm ignorant on. Still, would've been my guess that she'd have immediately been feeling the puncture effects of its teeth!

Still, I do seem to remember that, in the book Jaws, that the woman character described as being attacked at the start is supposed to go through something similar (in terms of not immediately feeling anything pain wise to start with). This story and remembering that is making me wonder if this might be a common thing with shark attacks on people!

There may be a precedent with humans on this. Perhaps it is tied to chemical releases, adrenaline, etc., that make survival override pain?

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 10:33:44 AM »
On this:

There may be a precedent with humans on this. Perhaps it is tied to chemical releases, adrenaline, etc., that make survival override pain?

Good question there Jetson. Could well be. I'll have to look into that at some stage.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +328/-17
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 11:47:32 AM »
I've seen some reports where the pain doesn't hit until the shark twists.  It may be along the lines of a good phlebotomist being able to stick a needle in without pain, but if someone isn't good and twists, it does hurt.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 12:41:42 PM »
I've seen some reports where the pain doesn't hit until the shark twists.  It may be along the lines of a good phlebotomist being able to stick a needle in without pain, but if someone isn't good and twists, it does hurt.

Interesting to know!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-9
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 01:07:43 PM »
Lets give her a hand.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 01:31:07 PM »
Aww...

Still guess somebody needed to at the time. After all when did God put in an actual appearance? As per usual, when it comes to this kind of thing, not once!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +328/-17
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 01:38:36 PM »
the logo of this forum is quite apropos for this story