Author Topic: Climate change discussions  (Read 149 times)

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +218/-2
Climate change discussions
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:44:18 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/6ertms/askscience_megathread_climate_change/

Examples

Question:    What's the biggest thing the average Joe can do to actually make a difference? Assuming the person will do it everyday.
Answer:  Choose a greener electricity provider.
               Eat less meat.
               Drive less - use public transport or walk. Buy more efficient or hybrid cars.
               Fly less. Use remote conferences if its for your job.
                Pressure your elected officials by writing and calling.
               Insulate your home or use the air conditioning less.
               Recycle more, and think about how your old goods could be reused, even by someone else.
               Help the environment in your local community. Plant trees, volunteer, etc. This not only helps the environment but makes your neighbourhood a nicer place to live.
               Get involved with local politics.

Comment:

I think this is less of a Hard science question and more of one on the impact of policy and the public. The thing about most policies, especially ones that are largely publicized is more often than not the effects of those laws are not what we see at face value. In America, we often pass federal laws that take 5-10 years to even begin to make an appreciable difference. I think there are good points to be made about how this policy may provide negligible impact according to the goals set forth but it's more about the intention and goals. By coming to a consensus, as a planet for the planet, the argument can be made that we are taking a stand and working in the right direction. We may find out down the road that we are not doing enough and then it becomes an incrementalist debate. You have to consider that this is not the plan that solves the climate and many countries can easily achieve these goals which is why the argument can be made that it is in fact not enough.

The bigger picture here in terms of worldwide diplomacy is the concept of a unified approach to moving towards reducing anthropogenic climate change. People want policies that make them feel good and they can pat themselves on the back and say they have achieved something. Sometimes the unfortunate reality is in policy it's more about the here and now subjective feelings towards a goal rather than the objective scientific outcomes. While I don't agree with this approach my time working in US federal policy has proven this continually. The masses may likely remember climate change as a concern but years from now forget the Paris agreement, just like they forget the Kyoto protocol and so on. So even if the data says it may not save the world, I would have to disagree that it's not a remarkable feat to get this many countries on board. That in itself is a victory we must acknowledge and consider moving forward. We can always do more than the bare minimum, but having a standard is better than no standard at all.

Another article
                     https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-will-the-world-look-like-if-the-u-s-bails-on-the-paris-climate-deal/

...........it is unlikely that all countries in the Paris agreement will continue to move aggressively to reduce greenhouse gas emissions if the second biggest emitter, the U.S., pulls out—particularly countries that are just starting to come to grips with the need to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions like India.

.....China will be annoyed, because the plan [the U.S.] submitted at Paris is what we developed in anticipation of a meeting with China in November 2014, where China also put an aggressive plan on the table. China seems to be ahead in implementing its plan. China was enthusiastic about dealing with climate change, because it’s a huge risk for it’s own country, but also as leverage to get Chinese provinces to start cutting their emissions, which are causing choking air pollution throughout the country. So, you don’t make friends internationally by pulling out of agreements that both parties previously agreed to.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 12:02:16 PM by shnozzola »
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +327/-9
Re: Climate change discussions
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »
Very disappointed in the USA pulling out of the Paris Agreement but it is probably too late for the planet anyhow...so bring it on Mother Nature.  Rid yourself of the human race and heal yourself.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 08:36:42 AM »
I was very disappointed that Theresa May didn't sign the protest letter that France, Italy and Germany signed. :-(

Online stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +57/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 09:02:47 AM »
When I was a child I lived on the tenth floor of a housing complex and had a direct view of NYC. I can remember those smog alert days and when looking out the window not being able to see the NYC skyline (see the China picture).

I have increased my recycling efforts tremendously, I seem to put more stuff in the recycle cans then I put real garbage in the dumpster. Also, I switched all my light bulbs to LED, got a timer for my thermostat to adjust the temp when we are asleep or aren't home and changed all the water faucet strainers in the house to release water at a 70% reduced rate.

The three cars in the household all get over 25 MPG, one gets over 30MPG. I have changed my driving habits over the past five years, accelerate more slowly, foot off the gas and coast (downhill), use cruise control to maintain a steady speed, if I see the light change or brakes lights I immediately take my foot off the gas. These tactics have increased my gas mileage by 3 to 5 MPG. Warning the habits took some time to develop but after 5 years of practice I pretty much have it figured out.

I'm always looking for ways to do more.
The Greatest Story Ever Told Was So Wrong

Been Two thousand Years and He Ain't Shown Yet,

We Kept His Seat Warm and The Table Set.

The Greatest Story Ever Told Was So Wrong, So Wrong.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +360/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »
stuffin - that's what we need from everyone! thanks for doing your part...