Author Topic: Am I the old new guy...or the new old guy?  (Read 220 times)

Offline alihaymeg

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
Am I the old new guy...or the new old guy?
« on: May 10, 2017, 04:03:36 PM »
Greetings,

I've just found my way back to this forum after something like 8 years of being way. I signed up in 2008 and spent a lot of time having discussions and trying to convert all f you godless heathens to the one true God. But alas...my resolve was lacking...and I ended up leaving an agnostic after something like a couple of years of conversation.

Alas...the prodigal has returned as a firebreathing atheist...married to an atheist...having raised little babies...the ones we didn't eat...to adult atheists. I look forward to reconnecting with the community.
1 Jebus:19:4 Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody!

Offline jdawg70

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1015/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
Re: Am I the old new guy...or the new old guy?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 05:13:07 PM »
Greetings,

I've just found my way back to this forum after something like 8 years of being way. I signed up in 2008 and spent a lot of time having discussions and trying to convert all f you godless heathens to the one true God. But alas...my resolve was lacking...and I ended up leaving an agnostic after something like a couple of years of conversation.

Alas...the prodigal has returned as a firebreathing atheist...married to an atheist...having raised little babies...the ones we didn't eat...to adult atheists. I look forward to reconnecting with the community.

Welcome back alihaymeg.

I think you may have left prior to me engaging around here, and I'll probably look through some of your old posts for some context but I'm wondering if you're willing to share in a bit of a summary regarding your mindset as you went from believer to not-believer?  May be a lot to ask but I am curious.  Feel free to decline.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +314/-17
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 07:01:29 PM »
Hi ali,

I remember you.  I also am being somewhat amused since at one point you used the same argument a JW is using currently on one of the active threads: http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,3138.msg73710.html#msg73710

The fruit of the spirit are:
Love
Joy
Peace
Patience
Kindness
Goodness
Faithfulness
Gentleness
Self-control

so, how have you been?   
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 07:04:23 PM by velkyn »
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +449/-9
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 07:59:22 PM »
I love it when used to be's come back as ain't no mores  ;)
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Offline jdawg70

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1015/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 08:16:31 PM »
alihaymeg, I am wondering if you would have any thoughts in this thread here:
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,30307.0.html

You are more recently self-identifying as an atheist than myself, and I am curious if you have any insights into, well, sortakinda the nuances of what constitutes 'belief'.  I may not be articulating my thoughts very well in that thread as I've kind of stream-of-consciousness brain-dumped a fair bit there.

My interpretation of what I've gleaned from some of your posts identifying as an agnostic Christian makes me curious in how you'd interpret my ramblings there.

Also, rando observation: it appears that I started posting here regularly within 10 days of when you last posted here.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 10:06:33 PM »
Howdy and welcome back to the forums! :-)

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +192/-1
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 08:04:29 AM »
Hi, welcome back. I do sort of remember your name, but not your actual posts, sorry.

Question for you...if you were posting here some 8 years ago as a theist, yet have raised babies to adult atheists, that means you must have deconverted somewhere toward the middle of their lifetimes. I would assume that you had raised them with at least a moderate grounding in Christianity, and, considering that you were posting  here trying to show us the error of our ways, maybe even a fairly zealous one.

Was there a sudden shift in your thinking and passing on your new attitudes to your kids, or was it more gradual? How did they react to it?

I was pretty much agnostic ever since I can remember, though raised Catholic. My husband is Catholic as well; though he rarely goes to church anymore, or refers to his faith, he has never really lost it. The kids were raised more or less Catholic, (though with quite a bit of my doubt and cynicism sneaking in over time) and we went to church pretty consistently until they were about 10-15 years old. The younger two are atheists, the older one still holds onto vestiges of faith. I do feel as though I've had a good part in instilling some critical thinking into them, at least when it comes to religion, so I do give myself some credit for that :)