Author Topic: Mr. President Donald Trump  (Read 3769 times)

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +293/-34
  • 7.499 billion people chose non violence today.
Re: Mr. President Donald Trump
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2017, 11:26:45 PM »
However much it takes, just give him enough rope and he will hang himself soon enough.

That sounds dangerous.

It is counter intuitive.

From velkyn's WaPo piece
What Trump craves most deeply is the adulation he has found so fleeting. This goes a long way toward explaining his need for control and why he simply couldn’t abide Comey, who reportedly refused to accede to Trump’s demand for loyalty and whose continuing investigation into Russian interference in the election campaign last year threatens to bring down his presidency. Trump’s need for unquestioning praise and flattery also helps to explain his hostility to democracy and to a free press — both of which thrive on open dissent.
In neurochemical terms, when he feels threatened or thwarted, Trump moves into a fight-or-flight state. His amygdala is triggered, his hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activates, and his prefrontal cortex — the part of the brain that makes us capable of rationality and reflection — shuts down. He reacts rather than reflects, and damn the consequences. This is what makes his access to the nuclear codes so dangerous and frightening.

Well, far be it for me to question the expert opinion of someone who has never met the man. Professionals, as a general rule, usually refrain from offering diagnosis from a distance.

I'm hearing much more talk lately about impeachment over his private discussions with the KGB in the Oval Office. I doubt anything will come of that but the good news is Bob Mueller is on the job again.

Bowing to public and Congressional pressure, Deputy U.S. Attorney General Rod Rosenstein appointed former FBI Director Bob Mueller on Wednesday to be a special counsel overseeing the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 campaign, Justice Department officials said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/special-counsel-will-take-over-fbi-russia-campaign-interference-investigation-n761271

Trump may have already hung himself but no one had the balls to admit it. If Mueller can't point out the obvious then no one can.
When I criticize political parties or candidates, I am not criticizing you. If I criticize you, there will be no doubt in your mind as to what I am saying.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +559/-55
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2017, 02:31:26 AM »
Pointing out that the American electoral system is responsible for Trump's election doesn't help matters any, plain and simple.

My goal was to get at least one of you (Americans) to get up and start to find ways to change the electoral system in your country. Every time I point out how fucked up it is, all I get are defeatist responses, as if the people who want it changed are a minority and the people who don't are some massive oppressive majority. However, I also always get responses that indicate they're not happy with the way it works. I know, anecdotal evidence and whatnot, but I highly doubt you couldn't get it changed with an overwhelming majority supporting your efforts.

EDIT: I also added the bit about how it's falling apart from the inside as a way to show that it's not all bad. Might not even last 4 years.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +470/-40
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2017, 02:47:57 AM »
Here in Canada we elected a government partly on the basis of its promise to change our also-broken system.

They broke that promise in a flagrantly dishonest manner.

Think Americans have any better chance of it? Got any suggestions?
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2017, 03:56:30 AM »
I highly doubt you couldn't get it changed with an overwhelming majority supporting your efforts.

What are your reasons for doubting that?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +559/-55
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2017, 03:59:16 AM »
I highly doubt you couldn't get it changed with an overwhelming majority supporting your efforts.

What are your reasons for doubting that?

The fact that literally everyone I have ever spoken to that lives in the USA agrees that it's a stupid system and needs to be changed. When's the last time you heard someone praise the way their voting system works? I don't think I've heard it once.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +559/-55
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2017, 04:13:30 AM »
Here in Canada we elected a government partly on the basis of its promise to change our also-broken system.

They broke that promise in a flagrantly dishonest manner.

Think Americans have any better chance of it? Got any suggestions?

Dunno. They'd have to look at how they can change things instead of immediately proclaiming they can't be changed without even trying. Leaders have been forced to resign before or even fired because of public pressure, even in the USA. Is it really so impossible to get an amendment to the constitution (or wherever it needs to go) for something that most people hate?

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-17
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2017, 07:31:59 AM »

Well, far be it for me to question the expert opinion of someone who has never met the man. Professionals, as a general rule, usually refrain from offering diagnosis from a distance.

This can be a problem. Hhowever, there is the fact that if someone hits what is considered classic symptoms of what is a agreed upon diagnosis, then there is little reason to doubt them.   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1081/-26
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2017, 08:14:33 AM »
Is it really so impossible to get an amendment to the constitution (or wherever it needs to go) for something that most people hate?
First, even if most people hate it, that does not mean that they will agree on how to fix it.

Second, have you actually looked at the requirements for amending the U.S. Constitution?  Both houses of Congress must approve the amendment by a 2/3 majority[1], and then 3/4 of the states must approve them as well.  Given that more than half of the House and Senate consist of Republicans who are, for the most part, bound and determined to put party before country right now, that's a serious barrier to fixing the electoral system right there.

There are other options.  The one which has the best chance of success is the National Popular Vote movement, which is attempting to do an end run around the problem of modifying the Constitution by having a compact between states.  The Constitution says that the states may apply their electoral college votes in any manner they see fit - so this movement is aimed at getting enough states to hit the 270 mark to agree to apply their electoral votes automatically towards the national popular vote winner.  But this has been going on for years and they're still only at 11 states with 165 electoral votes having actually approved it.  Plus there's an open constitutional question regarding whether this is doable without consent of Congress.

It is not impossible to apply some fix to the electoral college system.  But that doesn't change the fact that it's really, really difficult to actually accomplish it.
 1. or two-thirds of the state legislatures must call for a constitutional convention but that's a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened right now
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1025/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2017, 08:52:38 AM »
Well, far be it for me to question the expert opinion of someone who has never met the man.
That's fine but let's make sure we don't pretend that it is utterly impossible to glean some semblance of motivation and ideology (or lackthereof) of a person by observing them.

Professionals, as a general rule, usually refrain from offering diagnosis from a distance.
Primarily because nuance and subtleties of a person are incredibly difficult to ascertain without personal engagement.  But let's make sure we don't pretend that it is utterly impossible to glean some semblance of motivation and ideology (or lackthereof) of a person by observing them.

For example, let us pretend for a moment that a person is genuinely batshit crazy.  Like, when they walk into the restaurant that you are dining in, their first action is to hop up on the table next to yours, drop his pants, and immediately begin masturbating for 15 seconds before dashing off out of the restaurant with impressive speed given his pants are still around his ankles.  Would it not be fair to say, even without extensively interviewing him, that, at a bare minimum, this person has no concept of social manners and is woefully inept in terms of understanding hygiene?  Let's say this occurs with this same person at least once a week in varying restaurants in your neighborhood and/or city?  Do you really need multiple one-on-one deep discussions and personal sessions with this man before you declare that the person is very likely not mentally stable?

An extreme example, I know, but my point is that there are gradations in scale between 'need more personal data before making any assessment of cognitive integrity' and 'that boy done fucked up in the head'[1].  Honestly and truly, I believe wholeheartedly that there is sufficient observational evidence of Trump (spanning decades) that one need not wait to become best friends with the man before assessing that he is a dangerously narcissistic dickhead who has almost no impulse control and works primarily on gut-feel and personal, self-serving emotion.  Honestly and truly, Mr. Blackwell, I do not see why the current data, impersonally gathered as it may be, is insufficient to draw that conclusion.

Like, I know that assessment could be wrong.  I don't want you thinking that I'm stating anything with absolute certainty here.
 1. Not the technical term.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +559/-55
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2017, 09:23:29 AM »
It is not impossible to apply some fix to the electoral college system. But that doesn't change the fact that it's really, really difficult to actually accomplish it.

So it's not impossible, and it's feasible, albeit remotely. Why not start now? Use Drumpf's election as motivation to get people off their asses.

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1081/-26
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2017, 10:26:10 AM »
I hate to say this, but you need to do the math, OAA.  2/3 of both houses of Congress, of which more than half are Republicans.  3/4 of the states, of which Trump carried 60%.  There are enough people who supported Trump that trying to evoke him as a reason for changing the system is likely to turn it into a dead letter.
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +559/-55
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2017, 10:35:28 AM »
I hate to say this, but you need to do the math, OAA. 2/3 of both houses of Congress, of which more than half are Republicans. 3/4 of the states, of which Trump carried 60%. There are enough people who supported Trump that trying to evoke him as a reason for changing the system is likely to turn it into a dead letter.

And again the same defeatist attitude. If you convince yourself it's a lost cause, you don't have to feel bad about not trying, right?

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-17
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »
And again the same defeatist attitude. If you convince yourself it's a lost cause, you don't have to feel bad about not trying, right?

and you try to make a complex situation less than what it is out of your ignorance of the situation. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +559/-55
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2017, 12:02:28 PM »

and you try to make a complex situation less than what it is out of your ignorance of the situation.

Did jaimehlers leave out any details I should know about? Or is he simply wrong and it is, in fact, impossible to change legislation even if a majority of the people in a (supposedly) democratic country agree it should be changed?

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1081/-26
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »
*quirks eyebrow*  So let me get this straight.  Because I am stating some of the difficulties inherent in trying to change the electoral system plainly, I'm being 'defeatist' and consider it a "lost cause"?  Strawmen are bad, OAA, and you have no excuses for not knowing better.  You should respond to what I actually said next time, rather than responding to something I didn't say and subsequently getting pulled up short.

Here, I'll even make it easy for you.

"There are enough people who supported Trump that trying to evoke him as a reason for changing the system is likely to turn it into a dead letter."

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1081/-26
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2017, 12:06:10 PM »
Did jaimehlers leave out any details I should know about? Or is he simply wrong and it is, in fact, impossible to change legislation even if a majority of the people in a (supposedly) democratic country agree it should be changed?
Stop with the strawmen already, OAA.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +559/-55
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2017, 12:11:27 PM »
"There are enough people who supported Trump that trying to evoke him as a reason for changing the system is likely to turn it into a dead letter."

So come up with something else. You're a smart guy, I'm sure you'll figure out a way to explain why the popular vote should decide an election in a way that only an amoeba wouldn't understand.[1]

Oh, and you are being defeatist. You're putting up obstacles to even TRYING to do something about your current situation. That's defeatism in a nutshell. I only see you and (regrettably) velkyn saying "That's unfeasible", without offering any solutions. If that doesn't mean you're giving up before even trying, I don't know what does.
 1. A little hyperbole, but only a barely sentient human wouldn't understand why losing the popular vote means someone shouldn't be elected.

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1081/-26
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2017, 12:48:35 PM »
I have asked you twice to stop attributing strawmen to me, OAA.  This makes the third time.  I should not have had to ask even twice.

Being convinced of your own rectitude in something, especially in a situation where you're, frankly, rather ignorant about the facts, isn't a good idea.  This is especially true when no less than three people who are, at the least, more familiar with the facts than you have shown yourself to be are disagreeing with you.

By the way, all I actually did was point out that your idea of using Trump's election to push for getting rid of the current electoral system was very likely to backfire horribly due to the current political environment.  It does not mean that I'm being defeatist about changing the system, just stating my opinion on the effectiveness of the specific means you suggested for trying to push it.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-17
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2017, 12:54:45 PM »

Not playing games here, OOA.  Your ignorance is sad but keep digging your hole.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +559/-55
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2017, 01:03:09 PM »
All you have to do to prove me wrong about your apparent defeatism is explain what - if anything - you intend to do about this situation. All I'm hearing is "ignorant" this and "can't be done" that, and denials of defeatism, without evidence to the contrary. Seriously, how would/do you get rid of the electoral college?

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1081/-26
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2017, 04:33:53 PM »
Get Democrats elected at the state and federal level.  Which I am at least attempting to do, albeit not very well or effectively, because even trying to find the local Democratic Party headquarters where I live (in a very red state) is far from easy.  If there are enough Democrats in office, then getting the Constitution amended to do something to change or remove the electoral college, while still difficult and time-consuming, it becomes more than just remotely/technically feasible.  But it isn't a process that's going to happen quickly or easily.

That being said, it is rather unproductive for someone to come in and start making noises about getting rid of the electoral college, when said person knows very little about it and isn't even willing to spend their own time looking.  And it is very counter-productive for said person to start bad-mouthing others for pointing out the flaws in their facile idea of how to solve it.

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +221/-2
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2017, 05:37:58 PM »
   IMO, a big problem in the US right now is the mistrust of government.  With the likes of Limbaugh et al, and really, since Watergate, a large group of Americans despise the government.  It isn't the same view as after WWll.  Think of the US getting the votes for prohibition and then getting the votes to stop it.  We can't muster those numbers in congress to do much right now.

I think maybe a chance is coming in 2018.  Many people (think a few million women) that decided their votes weren't needed for Hillary, are protesting and marching everywhere.  I think a sleeping giant has awakened and will sweep democrats into power in both the House and Senate.

President Pence won't be able to accomplish much if that happens.  Now - I could be wrong - I was certainly wrong about Trump.  If we can't get a change in congress after the current fiasco, plus, we keep Trump, it may be time to consider the US a second world fundamentalist nation, and consider.........I don't know, moving to the atheist/ science  island we all need to start building?
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +559/-55
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2017, 05:58:41 PM »
And it is very counter-productive for said person to start bad-mouthing others for pointing out the flaws in their facile idea of how to solve it.

Given screwtape's reply (which, had it been mine, would've been deleted on the spot, and probably get me onto moderated status), your apparent reliance on telepathy for me to understand that you weren't just going to ignore the issue when you failed time and time again to point out alternatives to my suggestion, and your continued disrespect and name-calling, I'd say my responses were quite tame.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +470/-40
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2017, 06:08:36 PM »
All you have to do to prove me wrong about your apparent defeatism is explain what - if anything - you intend to do about this situation. ...

This is a false dichotomy.  It is entirely possible to neither be defeatist, nor have a plan of action.

What motivated you to put forth this false dichotomy, OAA?
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +559/-55
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2017, 06:16:55 PM »
All you have to do to prove me wrong about your apparent defeatism is explain what - if anything - you intend to do about this situation. ...

This is a false dichotomy. It is entirely possible to neither be defeatist, nor have a plan of action.

What motivated you to put forth this false dichotomy, OAA?

Probably the same thing that motivated you to put forth a loaded question.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1122/-38
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2017, 06:31:54 PM »
My goal was to get at least one of you (Americans) to get up and start to find ways to change the electoral system in your country.

1. That's off topic.

2. If that was your goal, it was a poor choice of goals.  We have a way to change it, so looking for one would take as much time as it takes to read the Constitution.  The problem is convincing our elected officials to do it.  Since they are mostly republicans - you know, the shit heels who are in power solely because of our clunky system - there would be no way on the planet to convince them.  Not even holding a gun to the heads of their children, because they love power above all else.  Please don't be captain obvious and say, "well, figure out how to get them out of power."  Hey, no problem.  Why don't I just cure cancer and solve world hunger while I'm at it?  I mean, it's not like repubs have most of the billionaires backing them with several media empires. 

3. I really don't think that was your goal.  I think your goal was to just make everyone aware of your opinion.  Since you've done that, can you please move along?

4. Worry about your own country.  Nobody wants advice about how to run their government from foreigners.  I don't tell you what a retarded government you have or to just go fix it.

5. You are a still a fuckhead. Only now, given post 109, you are a whiney fuckhead.  Do you know who loves a whiner?  No one.

6. Give yourself a smite, then ask your mom to kick you in the balls for me.  And don't whine about it.

Every time I point out how fucked up it is, all I get are defeatist responses, as if the people who want it changed are a minority and the people who don't are some massive oppressive majority.

Just stop.  You don't know what you are talking about. Don't argue.  Don't protest.  Dont whine.  Don't pester me or anyone else for answers.  Just go post in a different thread where you have some idea of what's going on.

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1122/-38
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2017, 06:37:21 PM »

From velkyn's WaPo piece...

[/quote]

HA!  My mistake.  It was not from velkyn's link.  It was from stuffin's link.  Which was written by Don the Con's ghost writer.  You know, the guy show shadowed him, observed him, interviewed him and the people who knew him best for 18 months. 

So, there ya go.  My mistake worked out for me.
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +470/-40
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2017, 06:46:19 PM »
Probably the same thing that motivated you to put forth a loaded question.

If it wasn't intentional as I'd implied, but merely an accident or thoughtless post, then you can just say so.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +293/-34
  • 7.499 billion people chose non violence today.
« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2017, 08:16:50 PM »

From velkyn's WaPo piece...

HA!  My mistake.  It was not from velkyn's link.  It was from stuffin's link.  Which was written by Don the Con's ghost writer.  You know, the guy show shadowed him, observed him, interviewed him and the people who knew him best for 18 months. 

So, there ya go.  My mistake worked out for me.

Yeah, I was wondering about that last night but I had a few drinks and just figured maybe I had missed something because Velkyn's link was talking about special vital juices which are lost forever if you exercise. But anyway...my response was still towards what you quoted. Thing is, I don't disagree with the overall assessment. That's why I did not argue against it. But still, unless the Don's ghost writer is a practicing psychologist or psychiatrist it still just amounts to someones opinion and not an actual clinical diagnosis. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he was actually clinically diagnosed by a professional to suffer everything that author claimed he suffers from...I just don't think that pointing to stuff like that opinion piece is good practice to prove your case because it can be very easily dismissed as biased hyperbole by loyalists.

If I were to claim that Obama was a narcissist hell bent on creating a cult of personality to enrich himself by exploiting the fears and desires of Americans so disgusted with the status quo that they would vote for anyone who promised hope and change I'm pretty sure I would have gotten a lot of push back from the people who bought into his promises. And for good reason. You can't just say, "well it's true about Trump." and expect any of his supporters to take you seriously. And they are the ones that matter. You can't convince them that he is corrupt by just quoting someone's opinion. All they see is you being a loyal lapdog who will say anything to discredit their savior because you are a brain washed kool aid drinking liberal hell bent on destroying 'Murka.

Pulling up published opinion pieces to confirm your bias does not prove that either you or they[1] are correct. I want Trump out of the White House. I was sick of hearing about him by June of last year. If we don't get rid of him the correct way it may tear this nation apart.

Trump is like stage four cancer. He can be excised but if we don't do it properly the whole body may die.

Hostile rhetoric and hyperbole and blaming his supporters is not the proper way. 

1.  Whoever wrote the article
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:28:09 PM by Mr. Blackwell »
When I criticize political parties or candidates, I am not criticizing you. If I criticize you, there will be no doubt in your mind as to what I am saying.