Author Topic: What does the Bible Teach?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +71/-170
  • WWGHA Member
What does the Bible Teach?
« on: April 18, 2017, 03:21:44 AM »
"The meek will inherit the earth." (Mt 5:5)

Have you ever heard this explained?  If so, how?

Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +453/-96
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
Re: What does the Bible Teach?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 03:30:57 AM »
Why would the meek want to inherent Satan's place?

That settles it, god hates the meek as much as he hates amputees.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:32:29 AM by eh! »
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +284/-1
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 06:56:38 AM »
Are we sure that Jesus actually said this? I looks awful like a justification for the Jerusalem group of Christians whom Paul calls the Poor and raises funds for. It is very like saying to that group that they should be pleased with their lot.

We have to remember that this was written around 50 years after Jesus so is likely a line written by the gospel author.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +327/-9
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:56:05 AM »
I did not realize
Trump was meek.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +210/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:26:20 AM »

"Verily, it is a noble deed, and a personal favor to Jesus to sitteth down, and shut up."

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +315/-17
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 09:29:13 AM »

Don't act up, because some day "soon" you'll get your magic presents.  Don't question god why you are poor.  Trust me, you'll get your magic presents real soon now.... 

Trust in me, just in me
Shut your eyes and trust in me
You can sleep safe and sound
Knowing I am around

Slip into silent slumber
Sailing on a silver mist
Slowly and… 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +434/-5
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 10:35:30 AM »

Elaborating the concept in The Antichrist, Nietzsche asserts that Christianity, not merely as a religion but also as the predominant moral system of the Western world, inverts nature, and is "hostile to life". As "the religion of pity", it elevates the weak over the strong, exalting that which is "ill-constituted and weak" at the expense of that which is full of life and vitality.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transvaluation_of_values

I think it's mainly to make people passive, so they don't resort to terrorism against their government.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +284/-1
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 11:19:12 AM »

Elaborating the concept in The Antichrist, Nietzsche asserts that Christianity, not merely as a religion but also as the predominant moral system of the Western world, inverts nature, and is "hostile to life". As "the religion of pity", it elevates the weak over the strong, exalting that which is "ill-constituted and weak" at the expense of that which is full of life and vitality.

I think it's mainly to make people passive, so they don't resort to terrorism against their government.

I think that's broadly the point I was making above. Actively telling the poor not to rebel against the wealthier church leaders seems a reasonable view for this passage. The only thing is that it needed the church leaders there first before there was a need for this saying... so unlikely to be the words of Jesus and much more likely the words of the gospel writer. It is, really, all about keeping the rabble busy so they don't rock the boat while making sure that they hand over cash to keep the boat afloat[1].

I think it is fairly clear that there are quite a lot of instructions like this in the NT that require there to be a congregation needing to be obedient and so on so a lot of the text may well have only been out into the mouth of Jesus and  not be his words. Given the time between when Jesus might have lived and when the text was being written and there was no danger of anyone picking up that Jesus had not said something or other.
 1. I do seem to have too many nautical illusions today!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Professor
  • Darwins +181/-16
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 01:37:04 PM »
Jstwebbrowsing.... do you view anything politicians do to be in interest of their God?.... maybe through the poor rising up in revolution we may see it..... but the again the poor rising up in revolution against wealthy masters is nothing new.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +360/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 06:05:16 PM »

Damn, I thought it was Rush lyrics. Sigh.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +71/-170
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 09:48:33 PM »

Meek does not mean weak.  The apostles were meek, but courageously stood up to authorities when commanded to stop teaching in Christ's name.

In current news Russian courts are determing whether or not to outlaw JWs as "extremists" and a "danger to the state".  This includes seizing all assets, banning all literature and outlawing meetings for worship and witnessing to others.  This will affect some 23,000 congregations.

While I hope this does not happen, no matter what, they will continue with their worship and witnessing.  JWs are listed as the world's most persecuted religion but their numbers continue to grow because the ministry continues with the same strength and courage as the apostles.  Being under government sanctions is just another day in the life of many Witnesses worldwide.  Even the freedom they have, at this time, in the U.S. came after many legal battles and prison sentences.    Meekness is not weekness.
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +71/-170
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 10:59:42 PM »
Jstwebbrowsing.... do you view anything politicians do to be in interest of their God?.... maybe through the poor rising up in revolution we may see it..... but the again the poor rising up in revolution against wealthy masters is nothing new.

I guess that depends on who or what their God is.  But I am not comfortable nor qualifed enough to judge the hearts of politicians.  I don't even know any of them personally.  I like to think that some of them are well intentioned, but I don't actually have evidence.  What I know is that some laws allow freedom to peacefully worship Jehovah.  Some of them hinder it.  Some of them forbid it.

I do not take part in the politics of any nation, nor would I ever resort to violence or revolution.  My kingdom is no part of this world.  I am living as if an alien resident in a foreign land as an ambassor of good will.  It therefore is not proper that I should interfere with the running of any other kingdom.  I will obey any laws that do not prevent me from peacefully worshipping Jehovah.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +71/-170
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 11:10:30 PM »
So it doesn't appear any of you have ever heard that scripture explained.  It sure seems to be a glaring contradiction of heaven/hell doctrine, no?

So let's move on.  "Repent for the kingdom of heaven has drawn near".  This was the central teaching of Christ.  It's also called the kingdom of God.  What is the Kingdom of God?  What have you heard?

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +434/-5
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 01:23:54 AM »

Meek does not mean weak.  The apostles were meek, but courageously stood up to authorities when commanded to stop teaching in Christ's name.

In current news Russian courts are determing whether or not to outlaw JWs as "extremists" and a "danger to the state".  This includes seizing all assets, banning all literature and outlawing meetings for worship and witnessing to others.  This will affect some 23,000 congregations.

While I hope this does not happen, no matter what, they will continue with their worship and witnessing.  JWs are listed as the world's most persecuted religion but their numbers continue to grow because the ministry continues with the same strength and courage as the apostles.  Being under government sanctions is just another day in the life of many Witnesses worldwide.  Even the freedom they have, at this time, in the U.S. came after many legal battles and prison sentences.    Meekness is not weekness.

Meek is used only once, so it's an academic sport to guess what Matthew means.  This chap thinks it means anawim
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=0f8z59RFYi8C&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq=praeis&source=bl&ots=Ehad9yXybX&sig=3ZX-61T7wdq-7wwmGaHAXlng-bU&hl=en&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiHwsCA66_TAhXFjpQKHZLhBYkQ6AEIPjAE#v=onepage&q=praeis&f=false

Two problems we have with the Sermon on the Mount, is:

1) not repeated in John or Mark - maybe Matthean or Essene.
2) hyperbole that Christians ignore, because they are saved by Grace.

Your original post means nothing, if you are saved by Grace.

Yes, Christians in tough situations will stand up to oppressors. Some Christians do it with guns and booyah, and others by passive resistance. However, from an evolutionary/Nietzschean perspective, Christianity values the poor and diseased, and generally causes people to not act violently or sensibly against things that should be dealt with, because it values the wrong things, or passive group-think. Your own sect takes the passive position of not even voting, and you for some reason agree with your herd, rather than the other 99% of Christians, who see no problem with voting. What is it that constrains you? Don't tell me it's your own opinion.

Christians feel very bad about unilaterally murdering a violent thug, but if their government endorses killing (1) people on death row, (2) civilians in asia, they tend to suddenly think God will not send them to hell.

Anyway, continue to explain your original post, from a JW-non-saved-by-Grace perspective.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 01:25:45 AM by Add Homonym »
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +434/-5
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 01:31:06 AM »

Oh, I see what you are getting at now.

Alternative explanation is  Luke 17:20

[20] And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
[21] Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

It's difficult to resolve the contradictions in Christianity.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +315/-17
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 08:11:40 AM »
So it doesn't appear any of you have ever heard that scripture explained.  It sure seems to be a glaring contradiction of heaven/hell doctrine, no?

So let's move on.  "Repent for the kingdom of heaven has drawn near".  This was the central teaching of Christ.  It's also called the kingdom of God.  What is the Kingdom of God?  What have you heard?

I've heard the scripture explained many ways.   No reason to think your pet version is the right one or that any are.  And funny how someone has said that discussion of scripture is pointless is here busy discussing scripture.  I wonder, did you pray very hard to get your god to help you convince us again? 

but thanks for pointing out one more contradiction in the bible with all of its other ridiculousness.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +284/-1
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 08:46:46 AM »

I've heard the scripture explained many ways.   No reason to think your pet version is the right one or that any are.  And funny how someone has said that discussion of scripture is pointless is here busy discussing scripture.  I wonder, did you pray very hard to get your god to help you convince us again? 

but thanks for pointing out one more contradiction in the bible with all of its other ridiculousness.

I think, rather, Jst means that we haven't heard the Official JW interpretation. In fact they fail to mention that the word for 'meek' in the text hardly appears in the NT so translation is a tougher job than for most of the words. It can be found in Aristotle's writings where is seems to mean some one who just gets on with life in an uncomplaining way but not implying any strength in that way Jst suggests for the apostles.

I imagine, though, this is a key verse for the JWs as they do not think that everyone either goes to heaven or hell but that literally only 144,000 go to heaven and the rest of the believers remain on  earth 2.0[1]. So this verse dictates the behaviour of the publishers as well as encouraging them to think that the Watchtower has got something right and that they might occupy the earth as the verse says.
 1. That is reformed so, maybe, better

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Professor
  • Darwins +181/-16
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 03:23:17 PM »

I guess that depends on who or what their God is.  But I am not comfortable nor qualifed enough to judge the hearts of politicians.  I don't even know any of them personally.  I like to think that some of them are well intentioned, but I don't actually have evidence.  What I know is that some laws allow freedom to peacefully worship Jehovah.  Some of them hinder it.  Some of them forbid it.

I do not take part in the politics of any nation, nor would I ever resort to violence or revolution.  My kingdom is no part of this world.  I am living as if an alien resident in a foreign land as an ambassor of good will.  It therefore is not proper that I should interfere with the running of any other kingdom.  I will obey any laws that do not prevent me from peacefully worshipping Jehovah.
i love dark humour.... but i have never been this funny before
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +71/-170
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 04:43:57 PM »

[20] And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
[21] Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Yes that's a pretty well known scripture.  However, what does it mean?  Have you ever compared various tranlations of this passage?  Other renderings include the kingdom of God "is in your midst" (NIV), "is already among you" (NLT), "is in the midst of you" (ESV).

Christ, as God's anointed king, was already taking the first steps of establishing God's kingdom.  People did not need to go looking for it because it was unfolding right in front of them.   In fact, they were talking to it's king. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:50:50 PM by Jstwebbrowsing »

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +453/-96
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 05:13:46 PM »
So the first steps of gods kingdom is already established.

How is it progressing, all going to plan?

Any estimated time of completion?

Milestones to brag about would be WW1 and the decay of moral fabric eg homosexuals and men fornicating with sheep.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 05:16:52 PM by eh! »
some skepisms,
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Online albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +210/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 05:32:39 PM »

Meek does not mean weak....

I think this is misleading. Women are encouraged to be weak, most notably in relation to her husband by abdicating autonomy and independence and accepting his "headship" over her. Over her. The bible is clear that women and children are to maintain a subservient position in relation to husbands, fathers, and "spiritual authorities." Boys alone have the opportunity to grow out of this subservient position. Vyckie Garrison was raised in a patriarchal xian culture and offers an insightful into how subservience is conditioned from childhood. How Playing Good Christian Housewife Almost Killed Me. If you haven't already read it, I would encourage you to. Courts in multiple countries have found this same sentiment and subsequent abuse throughout JW culture, too. Anecdotal stories recount even more horror stories of the consequences of being conditioned to abdicate independence, of thought and bodily autonomy, in the name of "meekness." You're either unwilling to recognize it, or blissfully ignorant of the connotations of this teaching in your own communities. How very privileged of you to get to ignore the reality that goes on around you. How offensive of you to pretend it's a positive thing. How selfish and mean-spirited to ignore just how this passage is used to placate women around the world.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +434/-5
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 11:20:58 PM »
Yes that's a pretty well known scripture.  However, what does it mean?  Have you ever compared various tranlations of this passage?  Other renderings include the kingdom of God "is in your midst" (NIV), "is already among you" (NLT), "is in the midst of you" (ESV).

Christ, as God's anointed king, was already taking the first steps of establishing God's kingdom.  People did not need to go looking for it because it was unfolding right in front of them.   In fact, they were talking to it's king.

There was one variant of Christianity, perhaps the Jewish one that Matthew is written BY, who thought the virtuous would inherit the Earth, and the kingdom would come in their generation. However, this evades working out whether they believed in personal resurrection into some kind of environment.

[2] And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
[17] From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
[7] And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
[19] Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

The idea being referred to in Matt 5:5 may be the defunct idea that the Kingdom would start immediately, using ALIVE population, and being a meritocracy.

But there does seem to be a resurrection as well:

[28] Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.
[29] Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
[30] For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

The meek may inherit the Earth for a time, until some other Christian cult deems appropriate, and then the resurrection happens,...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:26:34 PM by Add Homonym »

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Professor
  • Darwins +181/-16
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 10:39:04 AM »

any idea what the original texts were before any mistranslations or editing  by  the Catholic church? Edited or mistranslated texts destroy any foundation you or your church have rested its faith in.

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +284/-1
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 11:22:12 AM »
To be fair, the only texts we have date a lot later than the proposed dates they were written though there are quotations from as early as 100CE in other letters. Sure, the documents have suffered from miscopying[1] Other problems include the fact that the earliest manuscripts have no punctuation, finger spaces or anything that helps the reader so how one splits the text into words is crucial. There is nothing but the texts to work with, though, so no way of knowing if it has been done correctly.

However, whilst the texts were clearly redacted and had additions in the 2nd century CE - think of birth narratives for example, there has never been any suggestion of any church level modifying of texts as such. That has to wait until the JW 'translations' came along. However, the church was important in choosing the canon. Fairly early on, letters of Paul and the gospels seem to have been accepted as, well, 'gospel'. It was only after the Gnostics came up with a canon and Ireneus wrote his 'Against heresies' in the 180s that the four gospels became established as part of the canon. Naturally enough, there were quite a lot of other gospels that didn't make the cut and some of those would have gone in a more gnostic direction. So the church did push the choice to books that were not what it called heretical.

So I don't think anyone can make a charge of the texts being altered deliberately by the church, or anyone. The OT, by the way was settled into a canon in the late 1st century and maintained by the Masorites in the same form, essentially, as we have today.
 1. They may have been copied by groups of monks taking dictation in which case some homophones will have crept in.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +71/-170
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 02:33:56 PM »

Milestones to brag about would be WW1 and the decay of moral fabric eg homosexuals and men fornicating with sheep.

"This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth as a witness to all nations"

As far as I am aware that is the next milestone.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +315/-17
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 02:46:00 PM »
"This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth as a witness to all nations"

how is this defined?   what is "all the inhabited earth" and how is "preached" defined?   

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +71/-170
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 02:56:53 PM »

Meek does not mean weak....

I think this is misleading. Women are encouraged to be weak, most notably in relation to her husband by abdicating autonomy and independence and accepting his "headship" over her. Over her. The bible is clear that women and children are to maintain a subservient position in relation to husbands, fathers, and "spiritual authorities." Boys alone have the opportunity to grow out of this subservient position. Vyckie Garrison was raised in a patriarchal xian culture and offers an insightful into how subservience is conditioned from childhood. How Playing Good Christian Housewife Almost Killed Me. If you haven't already read it, I would encourage you to. Courts in multiple countries have found this same sentiment and subsequent abuse throughout JW culture, too. Anecdotal stories recount even more horror stories of the consequences of being conditioned to abdicate independence, of thought and bodily autonomy, in the name of "meekness." You're either unwilling to recognize it, or blissfully ignorant of the connotations of this teaching in your own communities. How very privileged of you to get to ignore the reality that goes on around you. How offensive of you to pretend it's a positive thing. How selfish and mean-spirited to ignore just how this passage is used to placate women around the world.

I am aware the some women have been mistreated using scripture as an excuse.  However, that is not what the scriptures teach.  While they do assign the leadership of the family to the husband that is not permission for mistreatment.  Read the Bible's description of the "capable wife" (Pr 31:10-31).  There is no abuse, lack of autonomy, independance, barefoot and pregnant, or anything of the sort.

The scriptures instruct husbands to treat their wives as Christ treated his disciples.  In what way did he mistreat them?     

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +453/-96
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 03:06:52 PM »
Treat your wife like the disciples, not much of a guide to every day living....tell them you are god son of yourself, wash their feet, don't work, no sex, no kids, don't own anything, no money, leave them to go party in heaven, make a bunch of promises, preach at them all day long.....useless marital advice come on man.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:09:20 PM by eh! »
some skepisms,

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +284/-1
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »

Hang one there, guys. There's something wrong with this.

According to Russell, the world should have ended in 1914 and not the spin the JWs have put on it today. Then there is quite a long list of dates when this was going to happen. Heck, the forerunners, the Millerites, claimed the world would end in 1844 and that was before lots of the world had been subjected to preaching.

So some people, including good old Harold Camping seem to think that either the job of preaching is already done (for William Miller is must have been done before 1844!), or that this preaching in all the lands is not important at all and other things mark the end of the world.

So here's a thought. Even Jesus, who was coming back before all the disciples had died, claimed that only god knew when the end would come and, if that's the case, then it is pointless to try and suggest that the bible has all the things on needs to calculate the date. No one knows, so leave that alone and get on with this life.