Author Topic: Are "altar calls" appropriate on this forum?  (Read 867 times)

Offline Former Believer

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Are "altar calls" appropriate on this forum?
« on: December 15, 2008, 09:09:37 AM »
Undoubtedly, some Christians visit this site with the hopes of "witnessing" to nonbelievers.  I don't think there is any way to entirely stop that, nor do I think it is entirely a terrible thing, since Christians believe that eternal destinies are at stake.

However, I think that such "witnessing" should be done by Christians making good arguments in the context of discussions, not by extended preaching sessions laden with scripture quotes.  Nor do I think that repeated "come to Jesus" admonitions are warranted.

Perhaps the administrators could set up a separate "Share the Gospel" section where Christians can preach to their hearts content.   
Faith unsubstaniated by the facts equal foolishness

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +406/-9
Re: Are "altar calls" appropriate on this forum?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 10:00:06 AM »
It is kind of entertaining and shows the delusion and flaws in their thinking (along with spelling, rational thought, 4 letter word use. etc.)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 11:06:46 AM »
It's more like a car accident. Horrible and scary but you can't look away...

Offline Onesimus

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • Endlessly striving to be a happy cartoon bear.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 11:31:45 AM »
They're gonna do what they're gonna do.  Remember, they believe that God is commanding them to win souls, so little things like forum etiquette are hardly worth considering.  "I'd rather commit a terms of service violation than let you burn in Hell for all eternity!..."

Offline alwight

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 12:34:47 PM »
I always wonder at first whether this time something intelligent will emerge despite the mindless preaching, yes maybe something that would actually make me think about religious belief as something possibly other than a delusion. Naaah you get a link to a VenomFangX video on You Tube as scientific proof of god or something else equally inane.
I would amputate both legs before I would walk away from God.

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 02:02:48 PM »
I think threads like that are clear contenders for the Bottomless Pit. :D
Inactive moderator account.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +475/-40
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 02:10:07 PM »
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 02:11:57 PM »
Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on that thread, and mulling over whether to move it to the Pit, as it seems to be more preaching than genuine discussion.

Offline Inactive_A

• Reader
  • Darwins +5/-3
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 02:34:17 PM »
Undoubtedly, some Christians visit this site with the hopes of "witnessing" to nonbelievers.  I don't think there is any way to entirely stop that, nor do I think it is entirely a terrible thing, since Christians believe that eternal destinies are at stake.

However, I think that such "witnessing" should be done by Christians making good arguments in the context of discussions, not by extended preaching sessions laden with scripture quotes.  Nor do I think that repeated "come to Jesus" admonitions are warranted.

Perhaps the administrators could set up a separate "Share the Gospel" section where Christians can preach to their hearts content.   

We will not be setting up a separate section for theists to preach in.
A post should be created with the idea of debate and conversation within it.  Posts that are merely recitations of biblical passages and do not suggest conversation or at a minimum present social or political observations are likely to be moved to the trash, or the pit.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +406/-9
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 02:37:37 PM »
I got a phone call today at my home asking me if I knew why God was letting bad things happen in the world.  It took me off guard because I had never gotten a phone call like this.  I said I don't know and he asked if he could read from the bible for me.  That is when I asked him why God hated amputees.  Well you can imagine after a little while he hung up on me.  Kind of strange.

Offline Former Believer

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 03:13:02 PM »
Thanks Admin and Moderator.
Faith unsubstaniated by the facts equal foolishness

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 07:53:45 AM »
I've moved it to the Pit. If anyone has any strenuous objections I can move it back to Q&D, but I can't see any value in "discussions" of the form:

1. <Theist makes claim>
2. <Atheist refutes claim>
3. <Theist makes claim>
4. <Atheist refutes claim>
5. <Theist makes claim>
6. <Atheist refutes claim>
7. <Theist makes claim>
8. <Atheist refutes claim>
9. <Theist makes claim>
10. <Atheist refutes claim>
11. <Theist makes claim>
12. <Atheist refutes claim>
476. <Atheist gives up>
477. Theist: I win!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +406/-9
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 08:07:47 AM »
Does the PIT prove that there is a Hell?

Offline coatofmanycolors

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 05:11:58 AM »
In all fairness, the WWGHA and GII sites appear to bait Christians into entering the forum and explaining their faith and sharing their personal experience, miraculous encounters, reasons for faith, etc.

Asking those particular questions and challenging Christians to defend their positions will undoubtedly lead the most staunch believers here to share their faith and witness to whoever they feel is willing to listen.

So essentially, it appears the site(s) are actually inviting them to do so.  Plus, many of the atheists here seem to not mind endlessly debating the same topics over and over with the fresh batch that wanders in every other week attempting to change the world one atheist at a time.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 12:04:37 PM by coatofmanycolors »

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 08:38:27 AM »
I appreciate the point, coatofmanycolors, and I think it's a fair one to an extent. There is a rather "in your face" element to the site material, and it is likely to attract people who wish to defend their beliefs vociferously against such an "attack". And there is a variety of opinion, even among non-theists, as to the validity of the site's "proofs" or of any specific element of them. And like any site that encourages discussion and debate about religion, by its very nature it is likely to lend itself to repeated and occasionally endless arguments, because it's the nature of the beast that arguments about religion are seldom settled - whether it's arguments between non-theists and theists, or different stripes of theists (e.g. Chrisitanity vs. Islam), or even different sub-groups of the same umbrella-group (e.g. Arminianism vs. Calvinism, Baptists vs. Catholics).

There is, however, a difference between defending one's beliefs and stonewalling or preaching. The former is a genuine attempt to engage in discussion; the latter is just lecturing, where no real discussion takes place despite opponents' attempts to engage them in conversation. And of course there are threads that just won't die because not only is no-one prepared to concede ground, but you get at least two people who don't know when it's pointless to continue.

For such was the Pit made - so that an entire board would not become dominated by just one or two threads that were only of interest to a handful of forum members, and other threads would get a "look in", so to speak. Whether it has the desired effect remains to be seen. :)