Author Topic: List of Gods  (Read 999 times)

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +218/-2
List of Gods
« on: February 18, 2016, 06:52:15 PM »
At one time there was an impressive list of deities.  I think it was godfinder.org, which is now closed and sadly reopened to find a few things such as an apartment or a place to study the book of  Revelations.  The site had a good 10,000 names alphabetized to show humanity's history so we could not only find our favorite god, but put our deity idea into perspective.  We should have made it our business to somehow save the list, because I can't find anything close.  Anyone have any?  Most searches end up Greek mythology or D&D.
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1865/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Re: List of Gods
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 07:00:09 PM »
Maybe god himself removed the list. The endtimes are upon us! :o
When all of Cinderella's finery changed back at midnight, why didn't the shoes disappear? What's up with that?

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +218/-2
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 07:04:10 PM »
I know there is this, the religion tree, which gives each branch of each belief and idea of it's place in the search for truth, but it seems to be in Russian, so it could be a plot....... &)

http://funki.com.ua/ru/portfolio/lab/world-religions-tree/

edit:  you must zoom in for "your" version of the truth

Offline CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +81/-3
  • Proud Whovian
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 07:10:00 PM »
Ever heard of the Wayback Machine?  If you happen to still have the URL and insert it into the search bar of the Wayback Machine, there's a chance that someone saved the page.  It's how I've found some of the old High Octane Nightmare Fuel pages I used to browse on TV Tropes a lot before it was merged with regular Nightmare Fuel and the took down the Real Life pages of that. :)
Sometimes what is unknown is the most interesting.

"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +218/-2
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 07:15:46 PM »
Crystal,
 Thank you very much.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120427022945/http://www.godfinder.org/

odd that, frozen in time.  Such a list to reproduce.

Offline CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +81/-3
  • Proud Whovian
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 07:37:38 PM »
No prob, so glad it worked! :). I only wish I had found the website back when Nintendo NSider Forums was active... so many great threads that could have been saved. :(

Glad that someone had the foresight to use Wayback for this, that's quite an impressive list!  I find it interesting though that it implies God was first believed to be the creator around 325 CE, hadn't that been believed since Genesis times?

"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1865/-9
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 08:26:48 PM »
^^^When was "Genesis times"? Are you referring to when the stories in Genesis supposedly took place, or when the stories were first told, or when the stories were first written down, or when the stories were put into the bible we know of today? Those would all be different dates.
When all of Cinderella's finery changed back at midnight, why didn't the shoes disappear? What's up with that?

Offline CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +81/-3
  • Proud Whovian
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 08:48:15 PM »
Should have clarified there, I meant when the Book of Genesis was written, seeing as it was likely written several thousand years before Jesus lived, being part of the Old Testament.

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1865/-9
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 09:39:23 PM »
Should have clarified there, I meant when the Book of Genesis was written, seeing as it was likely written several thousand years before Jesus lived, being part of the Old Testament.

Hmmm. Don't think so. Oldest bible writings that ended up in the OT are from like 780 BCE. Some of the Psalms, songs praising god, were the first to be written down, IIRC. The stuff in Genesis was written later. We have some bible scholar folks here who can correct me if I am off.

The OT is certainly not the oldest written text--there is Chinese and Indian stuff that is older, not to mention the Egyptians and Sumerians. I have met people who think Moses actually wrote the OT (straight from god's dictation, of course) and that it is the oldest writing ever. Not at all true.  &)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_first_written_accounts

Offline CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +81/-3
  • Proud Whovian
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 10:05:48 PM »
Ohhh, okay, thanks for the clarification!

Regardless, it is a good deal sooner than 325 CE, so either tat list got it wrong or they were going more with the rough time it was official Church doctrine instead of when that opinion was first held.

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +192/-4
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 12:15:43 AM »
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +453/-96
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 01:04:57 AM »
I did not see the god of surf??
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +360/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 07:52:00 AM »
Crystal,
 Thank you very much.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120427022945/http://www.godfinder.org/

odd that, frozen in time.  Such a list to reproduce.

don't trust this - save it on your hard drive!  :o

Offline GodfinderOrg

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 09:32:12 AM »
Website Godfinder.org  works

Offline CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +81/-3
  • Proud Whovian
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 07:20:20 AM »
Website Godfinder.org  works

They must have restarted it in the past year since I posted the Wayback link.

Offline YouCantHandleTheTruth

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +97/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 11:50:16 AM »
Thank you so much for bringing this to everyone's attention.  Do any of the lists provide the approximate date the deity was invented, and how long it stayed popular?

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +27/-9
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 09:28:42 PM »
Something regarding the Deities that neither Middle-Eastern theists nor atheists like to discuss is many of the Deities in the Pagan pantheon are actually the exact same Deities. The only real difference in many of the Pagan deities are simply their names only because of the language their name is spoken of. Take one example, the Finnish God of thunder/lightning Perkele. Taken straight from wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkele

The name is of Indo-European origin. Related gods from other areas are Perk?nas (Lithuania), P?rkons (Latvia), Percunis (Prussia), Piarun (Belarus), Peko or Pekolasõ (Estonia), Parjanya (India) and Perun or Piorun (Bulgaria, Croatia, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia).

And for an even more interesting correlation, if you translate the Deities' names into English, the word that they translate to is the "ability" that they are.

From this example of names Perun. In google, translate, Perun literally translates into either lightning, or thunderbolt. What is Perun the God of? The God of thunder and lightning of course!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perun

The results from Google translate:

Ukranian: ?????
English: lightning

2 more translations:
noun

lightning
?????????, ?????

thunderbolt
????????, ?????, ???? ?????????

So, many of these Deities weren't even made up. They were simply based on something legitimate and real and the names are simply the language that is used to desribe the reality at hand, like English is lightning, and Loki is Scandinavian/Germanic. Once you begin to see this, you will start to see that the pantheon of Deities are indeed real, just not the way Christians and Muslims and Jews see it. That being said, there is an interesting topic that Christianity is in fact a stolen form of Paganism.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 09:31:31 PM by Death over Life »

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +284/-1
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 03:51:14 AM »
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Online Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 04:19:16 AM »
And this is around: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_deities

I miss Nogods :-(

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +27/-9
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 09:49:46 AM »
This?

If this is referring to my post, the question marks are showing wwgha doesn't register the Cyrillic language/letters so you have to type it in directly to google translate. When you type it, google will bring up the word in Cyrillic, and you click on it and it will tell you. Just make sure the language selected is Ukranian to English!

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +284/-1
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 09:56:04 AM »
No, it is a link to more god lists. The word I used was "This?" which is in English. Has it turned up looking wrong at your end?
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +99/-1
  • IXNAY
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 01:30:43 PM »
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +882/-28
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 06:20:02 PM »
http://www.eskimo.com/~elladan/gods/index.html

4,891 gods and this is not an exhaustive list.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +284/-1
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 05:35:14 AM »
Wow, Greybeard, that's a good long list!