Author Topic: A Really Good Website That Explains Why Christianity is False  (Read 10613 times)

Offline YouCantHandleTheTruth

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +125/-0
  • WWGHA Member
A Really Good Website That Explains Why Christianity is False
« on: December 18, 2015, 11:14:40 AM »
There are a ton of websites out there (obviously) that provide different reasons as to why Christianity can't be real.  I stumbled across a really good one though:

http://www.kyroot.com/

Right now, the site is at 725 reasons.  The author seems to add one every day or so.  Most of the reasons we've heard before, but the author presents each case in a really concise manner, and appears to have done excellent research.  Each reason is typically around 3 paragraphs long, while some are a bit longer.  A lot of the reasons are ones I wasn't aware of.  In one instance, reason 117, he presents genealogy issues:

Contradictory genealogies

There are two genealogies of Jesus presented in the Gospels, one in Matthew and one in Luke.  They are severely contradictory with very few of the names matching.  Right away, they disagree on who was the father of Joseph, Jesus’s father.

Matthew 1:16

Jacob was the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary. Mary gave birth to Jesus, who is called the Messiah.

Luke 3:23

Jesus was about thirty years old when he began his public ministry. Jesus was known as the son of Joseph. Joseph was the son of Heli.

I wasn't aware that two of the Gospels couldn't even agree on who was Joseph's father.  That's pretty blatant.

Has anyone else come across this site?  For those of you that haven't, I hope you enjoy it.  I really like the author's writing style, and how efficiently he gets to the point.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +242/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: A Really Good Website That Explains Why Christianity is False
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 01:53:39 PM »
I read an explanation for this once that Heli was actually Mary's father but was called Joseph's father since he was married to Mary and because they don't include women in genealogies but that writer wanted to include Mary's father.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +173/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 02:36:17 PM »
I read an explanation for this once that Heli was actually Mary's father but was called Joseph's father since he was married to Mary and because they don't include women in genealogies but that writer wanted to include Mary's father.

Ah, yes, apologetics: the fine art of making shit up in order to make other made-up shit sound more palletable
...religion is simply tribalism with a side order of philosophical wankery, and occasionally a baseball bat to smash...anyone who doesn't show...deference to the tribe's chosen totem.

~Astreja

To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place.

~Sam Harris

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +457/-109
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 03:21:31 PM »
Neat site, great resource, lot of work.

Thanks for sharing.
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +242/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »

Ah, yes, apologetics: the fine art of making shit up in order to make other made-up shit sound more palletable

Exactly.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +140/-653
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 11:09:50 PM »

Let me honestly ask you what is so wrong about that explanation.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1134/-27
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 11:43:24 PM »
Well, for starters, how about that Joseph wasn't actually Jesus's father, at least if you believe in the virgin birth stuff?
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +140/-653
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 12:05:02 AM »
Well, for starters, how about that Joseph wasn't actually Jesus's father, at least if you believe in the virgin birth stuff?

It's an honorary title. No different from a man adopting a child and they call him father. I don't believe the man would say "I'm not your father! Stop calling me that!"
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +474/-8
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 12:37:20 AM »
[1] The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
[2] Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren;
[3] And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom; and Esrom begat Aram;
[4] And Aram begat Aminadab; and Aminadab begat Naasson; and Naasson begat Salmon;
[5] And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse;
[6] And Jesse begat David the king; and David the king begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Urias;
[7] And Solomon begat Roboam; and Roboam begat Abia; and Abia begat Asa;
[8] And Asa begat Josaphat; and Josaphat begat Joram; and Joram begat Ozias;
[9] And Ozias begat Joatham; and Joatham begat Achaz; and Achaz begat Ezekias;
[10] And Ezekias begat Manasses; and Manasses begat Amon; and Amon begat Josias;
[11] And Josias begat Jechonias and his brethren, about the time they were carried away to Babylon:
[12] And after they were brought to Babylon, Jechonias begat Salathiel; and Salathiel begat Zorobabel;
[13] And Zorobabel begat Abiud; and Abiud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor;
[14] And Azor begat Sadoc; and Sadoc begat Achim; and Achim begat Eliud;
[15] And Eliud begat Eleazar; and Eleazar begat Matthan; and Matthan begat Jacob;
[16] And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
[17] So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1134/-27
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 12:57:02 AM »
It's an honorary title. No different from a man adopting a child and they call him father. I don't believe the man would say "I'm not your father! Stop calling me that!"
That's not the point, skeptic.  The point is that as far as a genealogy is concerned, Joseph wouldn't have actually been Jesus's father (assuming he was born of a virgin), and therefore his forefathers wouldn't have been related to Jesus either.  So claiming that he's the son of David and the son of Abraham through his father is rather pointless.
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +474/-8
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 01:16:41 AM »

Exactly.
[/quote]

Once I asked a Christian on an apologetics forum, to give me an apology. But he didn't get the joke.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +140/-653
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 01:45:59 AM »
That's not the point, skeptic.  The point is that as far as a genealogy is concerned, Joseph wouldn't have actually been Jesus's father (assuming he was born of a virgin), and therefore his forefathers wouldn't have been related to Jesus either.  So claiming that he's the son of David and the son of Abraham through his father is rather pointless.

With all due respect, I find what you are saying to be rather silly.

Is it not possible that God (if He exists) could have used Joseph's DNA for the pregnancy? They wouldn't have sex and Jesus would be related to Joseph.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +475/-40
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 02:21:35 AM »
Just as he might have used it for you.

It's equally plausible.
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +457/-109
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 02:48:42 AM »
Anything is possible when making stuff up about an all powerful god.

How is Jesus perfect and without original sin if he carries human DNA?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 02:51:31 AM by eh! »
some skepisms,
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +140/-653
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 03:06:46 AM »

Jesus is 100% God and 100% man.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +474/-8
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 03:19:03 AM »
Is it not possible that God (if He exists) could have used Joseph's DNA for the pregnancy? They wouldn't have sex and Jesus would be related to Joseph.

The bible doesn't say that God combined the two genetics and injected his own.

What it does say, is that an angel came to Joseph, and told him to give his child a Greek name : iesous.

Matthew put Jesus in and out of Egypt, so fast, he must have been a fighter pilot.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:23:09 AM by Add Homonym »

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +457/-109
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 04:08:41 AM »

Can you please try and not be totally offensive to the human intellect and explain that before I report you for preaching.
some skepisms,

Offline Andy S.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +69/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 04:50:12 AM »

Let me honestly ask you what is so wrong about that explanation.

Are you admitting that the bible contains "made-up shit"?  There is nothing wrong with that.

"The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries, that have afflicted the human race, have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion."
~Thomas Paine (The Age of Reason)

Offline Andy S.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +69/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 04:56:43 AM »

I get it....kinda like a shart.  100% sh!t and 100% fart.

"The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries, that have afflicted the human race, have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion."
~Thomas Paine (The Age of Reason)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +626/-67
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 05:00:11 AM »

So either God (sic) is man, or Jesus is two people, which means he suffers from MPD.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +475/-40
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 05:17:49 AM »
Regarding the "100% god, 100% man" thing, it's not necessarily a contradiction.  You are 100% human and 100% physical.  One just has to be a subset of the other (humans are physical).

So skep, are gods a subset of the term "humans", or are humans a subset of the term "gods"?
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2015, 05:41:01 AM »

But there is no such thing as a perfect human being!  And the bible clearly shows Jesus as carrying out imperfect actions characteristic of an imperfect human!

Offline natlegend

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-4
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 07:15:47 AM »

So Jesus equals 200% of a person. Quite a feat. Sounds more like 200% bullshit to me.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

"Ray, when someone asks you, if you're a god, you say YES!!"

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +457/-109
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2015, 02:36:56 PM »
Regarding the "100% god, 100% man" thing, it's not necessarily a contradiction.  You are 100% human and 100% physical.  One just has to be a subset of the other (humans are physical).

So skep, are gods a subset of the term "humans", or are humans a subset of the term "gods"?

So a person can be magical and not magical at the same time.

BS.
some skepisms,

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +475/-40
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2015, 04:40:07 PM »
If you can quote the part of my post where I said or implied that, eh!, then by all means clarify.

Otherwise, please retract.

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +457/-109
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2015, 05:27:31 PM »
The point was made re 100% human 100% God.... you say it may not be a contradiction and gave an unrelated example to the man/god thing, why?

I thought it was a BS example given the context, I see no need for a retraction.
some skepisms,

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +475/-40
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2015, 06:51:55 PM »
You said this:

So a person can be magical and not magical at the same time.

And you've yet to establish where I said or implied that.  Am I to take it that you knew I didn't, and were lying?

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +457/-109
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2015, 07:15:54 PM »
What other conclusion should I make?
some skepisms,

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +475/-40
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2015, 07:36:14 PM »
Now you're just stonewalling.  You drew a conclusion from my post; show where you got it already.  Spell out your reasoning.

Was it that you only read the first two sentences of the post, and stopped there?

EDIT:  Maybe this will help clear it up.  "X" and "not-X" are mutually exclusive conditions, like your "magical and not magical" example.  "X" and "Y" on the other hand are not; for an obvious example, being human and being physical are not mutually exclusive conditions, one actually being a subset of the other.

If being a human, and being a god, are not mutually exclusive conditions, then there is no contradiction.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:42:54 PM by Azdgari »