Author Topic: Most annoying theist arguments  (Read 7019 times)

Offline rickymooston

Most annoying theist arguments
« on: December 11, 2008, 02:45:25 PM »
The top two might be:
1) Life if meaningless and atheists should be "suiccidal"
2) No moral standards
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Ouabache

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Godless heathen
    • ChaoSkeptic
Re: Most annoying theist arguments
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 03:08:24 PM »
I personally feel that anyone who attempts to use the Ontological argument in a serious debate should be hit over the head with a barstool.
"Monkey wants the food pellet, monkey pushes the button." -The Good Reverend Roger

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 03:57:47 PM »
3)  Claiming miracles that would leave clear evidence happened, but not admitting such evidence simply does not exist. 

I also want some poor fool to try to use pascal's wager on me in person so I can kick them in the shins. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Ouabache

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Godless heathen
    • ChaoSkeptic
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 04:02:28 PM »
I've also noticed that the argument from design sounds like it was written by a pothead.  "Hey man, did you ever notice how complicated nature is?  Look at how awesome those trees are! Whoa, now look at the back of your hand! Isn't it amazing?"

;D
"Monkey wants the food pellet, monkey pushes the button." -The Good Reverend Roger

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 04:04:29 PM »
3)  Claiming miracles that would leave clear evidence happened, but not admitting such evidence simply does not exist. 

I also want some poor fool to try to use pascal's wager on me in person so I can kick them in the shins. 

Pascal's wager is contender for the first prize.

"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 04:05:30 PM »
I've also noticed that the argument from design sounds like it was written by a pothead.  "Hey man, did you ever notice how complicated nature is?  Look at how awesome those trees are! Whoa, now look at the back of your hand! Isn't it amazing?"

;D

The post is a classic.

I vote this as post of the day!!!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 04:29:29 PM »

;D

The post is a classic.

I second that.  I can just see Cheech and Chong saying this. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Ouabache

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Godless heathen
    • ChaoSkeptic
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 05:13:09 PM »
*takes a bow*Thank ye, thank ye. 

The design argument has majorly ticked me off for a long time.  For one it completely ignores the power of Chaos to design some very interesting things. (Time + randomness + a selection device) can create both beauty and complexity. Eris is a powerful goddess who loves to create and destroy at the same time.

It also hand-waves any poor design away by spouting some BS about "The Fall".  Basically blaming all of the "bad" things in the entire universe on a couple of ignorant humans that just wanted a bite to eat some 6000 years ago.

Offline Pale Rider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Agnostic
    • Bible Police
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 05:41:51 PM »
Most annoying to me? All of them..........

Offline Reeshi

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 06:18:04 PM »
"God exists, because the Bible says so, and God created the Bible."

It's particularly fun to watch them try and actually hide this argument within pages and pages of writing. Unfortunately for them, circular reasoning can be spotted from a mile away :D
HALLUCINATIONS OF REALITY
Example: I got my facts from a talking tree.

INCOMPLETENESS AS PROOF OF DEFECT
Example: Your theory of gravity doesn't address the question of
why there are no unicorns, so it must be wrong.

Offline RandomGuy

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 06:38:30 PM »
No no no no no. The most annoying theist argument, is, without a shadow of a doubt, "it is god's will."

People will use this to try and comfort you after a lose, minimize your role in your own daily successes, and to dismiss any opinions you have that they feel are contrary to "god's will."

For me, it's no contest.

Offline Ananukia

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I wear no mask.
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 06:41:28 PM »
BELIVE IN JEBUS OR U WIL BURN IN HEL 4 EVA

It's annoying, because that is all they say.
        Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
    Where flap the tatters of the King,
    Must die unheard in

Dim Carcosa.

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 07:09:11 PM »
God loves you but if you don't love him your going to hell.

The bible is a book of morals.

That bible verse directly contradicting what I said dosn't count because I like this one better.

Offline bgb

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • That felt great.
    • BGBART SHIRTS AND GIFTS
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 07:26:56 PM »
I hate:
YOU must be born again to understand the bible.
The whole point of science is that most of it is uncertain. That's why science is exciting--because we don't know. Science is all about things we don't understand. The public, of course, imagines science is just a set of facts. But it's not.  Freeman Dyson

Offline Ouabache

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Godless heathen
    • ChaoSkeptic
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 07:29:36 PM »
I hate:
OR:  Any Christian who does something bad/doesn't agree with my specific interpretation of scripture isn't a True Christiantm!!1!!

Offline Pale Rider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Agnostic
    • Bible Police
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 08:21:50 PM »
I hate:

Thats one I have never understood myself....what does it have to do with understanding the Bible?

Offline bgb

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • That felt great.
    • BGBART SHIRTS AND GIFTS
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 08:24:37 PM »
When your born again you lose reason and logic.  Then anything is possible even god.
The whole point of science is that most of it is uncertain. That's why science is exciting--because we don't know. Science is all about things we don't understand. The public, of course, imagines science is just a set of facts. But it's not.  Freeman Dyson

Offline GotMooo

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 08:28:08 PM »
I hate the "Good without God becomes zero" one.  What a crock of shit!

Offline Pale Rider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Agnostic
    • Bible Police
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 08:29:02 PM »
When your born again you lose reason and logic.  Then anything is possible even god.

Thanks.....cleared that up for me...

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 08:40:28 PM »

;D

The post is a classic.

Seconded ... had me laughing.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 08:45:18 PM »
I'll throw out the obvious; Pascal's Wager ... but not because it is illogical.  Instead, I mention it because Christians bring it up as a if it is a trump card yet don't think much of it themselves.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 12:36:47 AM »
I'll throw out the obvious; Pascal's Wager ... but not because it is illogical.  Instead, I mention it because Christians bring it up as a if it is a trump card yet don't think much of it themselves.

xD. Velkyn beat you to it tho; totally agree, it is one of the top three for sure.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 12:43:34 AM »
One of the most annoying to me:

"It's okay that you're an atheist.  God still loves you."
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2008, 01:19:56 AM »
Or he has a "Plan" for you.

Offline Husky

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Atheist Dog
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008, 02:31:33 AM »
I know God exists. Cos I can "feel" his presence.

When a kid plays with an imaginary friend, he needs counselling.
When his parents talk to God, they are being religious.
When people from other religions talk to their own God, they are heretic.

Now that's interesting.

I know there's a God of Wind. Cos everynow and then, I can feel the wind. No shit. He (God of Wind) can even make the palm trees sway. Really. Just stand in an open field for an hour. I am sure the God of Wind will make you feel his presence as well.
I believe that you believe your God is real. It's called a DELUSION.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008, 09:10:30 AM »
When a kid plays with an imaginary friend, he needs counselling.

B.S.!!! Playing with an imaginary friend is simply a sign of an active imagination. Assuming of course that the kid is not "perceiving" that friend but making him up. I'm biased of course, I made up imaginary friends when i was a kid. Also, I don't think you are what you claim to be in terms of qualifications but you are quite funny.

When his parents talk to God, they are being religious.
When people from other religions talk to their own God, they are heretic.

Agree double standards exist

I know there's a God of Wind. Cos everynow and then, I can feel the wind.

Its called pantheistic animism, don't knock it.

No s**t. He (God of Wind) can even make the palm trees sway. Really. Just stand in an open field for an hour. I am sure the God of Wind will make you feel his presence as well.

Greeks had 4 wind gods.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2008, 11:43:02 AM »
*takes a bow*Thank ye, thank ye. 

The design argument has majorly ticked me off for a long time.  For one it completely ignores the power of Chaos to design some very interesting things. (Time + randomness + a selection device) can create both beauty and complexity. Eris is a powerful goddess who loves to create and destroy at the same time.

It also hand-waves any poor design away by spouting some BS about "The Fall".  Basically blaming all of the "bad" things in the entire universe on a couple of ignorant humans that just wanted a bite to eat some 6000 years ago.

Discordianism!  I'm Pope!  Got my little card that says so right in my wallet.

That thing about "original sin" is a real winner.  Yes, a "just and fair" God punishes everyone for something that they didn't do.  Whee!

Offline Husky

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Atheist Dog
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2008, 08:11:47 PM »
? What did I claim to be? I don't recall claiming to be anything except an atheist.

Also, I don't think you are what you claim to be in terms of qualifications but you are quite funny.

I believe that you believe your God is real. It's called a DELUSION.

Offline JII

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2008, 08:51:28 PM »
That an omnipotent being would create worshipers, hide, then expect faith.