Author Topic: Most annoying theist arguments  (Read 7053 times)

Offline Gimble

Re: Most annoying theist arguments
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2008, 07:38:59 PM »
The top two might be:
1) Life if meaningless and atheists should be "suiccidal"
2) No moral standards
Since this is the only life we have and we do not persist eternally, doesn't that make our time infinitely more meaningful?

As for moral standards - I do good for humanity, not because of some selfish need to brown-nose to some immoral creator.  I don't need to be manipulated, intimidated, threatened, lied to, or offered any good in any form simply to behave myself.

Offline StPatrick

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • The patron saint of WWGHA
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
Since this is the only life we have and we do not persist eternally, doesn't that make our time infinitely more meaningful?

Right - and with theism, you're just going on to your eternal reward anyway, so what's the problem?
If we come together and do not fight over religion, class and borders then we hold the key to a peaceful world. There are two possible futures in store; either a March of power and greed or a March of a unified human race.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2008, 08:45:35 PM »
most number one argument of all time: god really exists.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2008, 08:56:51 PM »
and truly annoying when presented as an argument.

Offline gold_digging_ants

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2008, 11:52:40 PM »
And another one:

Atheism is not an ideology.  In fact, it is a lack of an ideology.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ideology
i·de·ol·o·gy      (?'d?-?l'?-j?, ?d'?-)  Pronunciation Key
n.   pl. i·de·ol·o·gies

1. The body of ideas reflecting the social needs and aspirations of an individual, group, class, or culture.

I would still consider atheism an ideology, perhaps even a "religion": "something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience"  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion

But the Bible has so many uses! After all, that very thin paper is perfect for origami, for starting fires, for using as a replacement coffee filter...
A friend of mine, on Facebook chat.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2009, 02:10:47 AM »
and to think I worship, silly atheist "I just do".

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2009, 05:47:21 AM »

Probably yes. So you would agree with me then that, the "suicide thing" is a very annoying/irritating theist argument?

Do you have any more examples of arguments theists have employed on you that really really irk you in their lack of insight into the question? That's what this thread about. Its not so much countering these arguments its listing the ones that get countered again and again, but that are particularly weak.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2009, 11:54:54 PM »
From the mailbag:

I cant imagine a world without god.

Super annoying:
I believe that you dont believe in god because you are afraid of death, because you don't know it well enough. You want to be a rebel who is different and obeys nobody. The fact of the matter is that deep down inside you know god is real, infact you fear him but don't even know it.

Religion may be a hoax, but god is not one to question.

You need to understand that, when you are on your deathbed the last thing you want to ask yourself is "What's going to happen now?" You can say religion is fake, but never can you be curtain that god is fake.
But the Bible has so many uses! After all, that very thin paper is perfect for origami, for starting fires, for using as a replacement coffee filter...

Offline Husky

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Atheist Dog
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2009, 12:00:49 AM »
I cant imagine a world without god.

That's not annoying. That's just plain dumb. They can't imagine a world without God, but at the same time they can't imagine what God is like, cos he's so powerful beyond our imagination?

Lame...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:00:34 PM by Husky »
I believe that you believe your God is real. It's called a DELUSION.

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2009, 12:48:14 AM »
Sorry to necro...

Was discussing with a friend of mine that some people (on fstdt.com, as it happens), seem to think Obama's the antichrist.  We finished the conversation, and I called out after him, kidding, of course, "thank god I'm an atheist".  Someone overheard and told me that I'd dedicated my life and shape my life around atheism.  She wouldn't listen when I tried to explain to her what "atheism" means, either.

Aargh.   >:(  She then went on to tell me I could never have been a Christian (merely a churchgoer), that she was never religious (she defines religion how I would define "fundamentalism"), and then asked me why I don't go around killing people.

She's previously said that it's impossible to be good without god.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2009, 12:50:56 AM »

Call her a bigot.  That's what she is.    8)
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2009, 01:38:20 AM »
Sorry to necro...

Was discussing with a friend of mine that some people (on fstdt.com, as it happens), seem to think Obama's the antichrist.  We finished the conversation, and I called out after him, kidding, of course, "thank god I'm an atheist".  Someone overheard and told me that I'd dedicated my life and shape my life around atheism.  She wouldn't listen when I tried to explain to her what "atheism" means, either.

Aargh.   >:(  She then went on to tell me I could never have been a Christian (merely a churchgoer), that she was never religious (she defines religion how I would define "fundamentalism"), and then asked me why I don't go around killing people.

She is very very very good!!!

The proper response to the last one might be to agree and inquire about her address???  ;D
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2009, 09:27:51 AM »
Sorry to necro...

She is very very very good!!!

The proper response to the last one might be to agree and inquire about her address???  ;D

perfect response! ;D
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline GamerGirl

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • aka Lillium
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2009, 10:11:05 AM »
I'm a theist, but often times theistic arguments annoy me. 

Homosexuality is a choice.  <<Uh, no it is not you wanker.>>

God created the Earth magically.  <<Why do they ignore science?>>

The bible is the inerrant word of God.  <<Then why did men write it?>>

You can lose your salvation by sinning.  <<Okay, last time I checked, only one sin could do that, so... yeah, stfu already!>>

Offline Davo

« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2009, 07:07:23 PM »
this might have arlready been written (I ddin't bother reading everyones posts) but the "you can't prove god doesn't exist" argument is moronic.

I follow this up with a "you can't prove I'm not god".

Offline I KILLED JEBUS

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Beware of the Army of the 12 monkeys
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »
this might have arlready been written (I ddin't bother reading everyones posts) but the "you can't prove god doesn't exist" argument is moronic.

hey only room for one deity here,The Church of Sasquatch
Bow down my hairy children and behold the world I have laid out for you,walk away from your electronic devices and listen to the sounds of nature. Tear from you the ties that bind you to your pathetic existance,walk back into the woods with me and we shall feast on the bounty I have left
Sasquatch

Offline Husky

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Atheist Dog
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2009, 08:48:45 PM »
this might have already been written (I didn't bother reading everyones posts) but the "you can't prove god doesn't exist" argument is moronic.

Why don't they ever understand you can't prove a negative statement. Usually we assume it to be true until proven otherwise. As an example, we cannot prove that there are no blue cockroaches. But we assume blue cockroaches do not exist until proven otherwise. If not, wiki will be infinite in size with descriptions of all kinds of imaginary creatures that have never been proven to exist. It's bad enough they have descriptions of Gods, wasting valuable space... On the contrary, if you can find a blue cockroach, you can disprove the statement.

Sorry I don't agree with you on the 2nd part. We can easily prove you are not God. All I need to do is to stab you, kill you. Three days later, if I find you lying motionless in a state of decompose instead of performing magic tricks in Times Square, PROVEN. You are human!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:01:22 PM by Husky »

Offline Davo

« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2009, 09:16:35 PM »
first part: Indeedly true, Husky.

ahh I knew someone would say that to the second part.

You couldn't prove my godly soul wouldn't be in heaven residing on my throne.
I would say when I'm alive. When I die (which, no matter how it happens, will be to my design) My body will indeed decompose, burn, whatever. But my everlasting soul will go back to heaven. I will then judge everyone after a game of checkers.
there is no rule to say that anyone has to revive after three days to be called god.

I could really piss a whole of  theists off with that one.
Oh and another fun thing to do is pretend you're religious at a party and find an atheist and piss him off. it's really funny.

Offline Husky

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Atheist Dog
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2009, 09:37:20 PM »
I would say when I'm alive. When I die (which, no matter how it happens, will be to my design) My body will indeed decompose, burn, whatever. But my everlasting soul will go back to heaven. I will then judge everyone after a game of checkers.
there is no rule to say that anyone has to revive after three days to be called god.

Oh and another fun thing to do is pretend you're religious at a party and find an atheist and piss him off. it's really funny.

lol... I am not as evil as you. I still prefer to cheese theists off. Then claim with a straight face that I am an angel sent to test their faith. "So far you have done well!"

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2009, 01:02:37 PM »

lol... I am not as evil as you. I still prefer to cheese theists off. Then claim with a straight face that I am an angel sent to test their faith. "So far you have done well!"

I have been way too tempted to claim that I'm Gabriel, just slumming on an internet forum to see what the theists say. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2009, 03:13:17 PM »
I personally feel that anyone who attempts to use the Ontological argument in a serious debate should be hit over the head with a barstool.

Anybody who thinks Descartes is a Philosopher we should listen to, other than his famous 'I think therefore I am', then they should be hit over the head with a barstool too. The Ontological argument is...well...stupid, I even said that when we looked at that in religious studies 2 years ago, everyone, except one dude in the class agreed, the dude of course was one of those people who wasn't exactly intelligent, said 'how is it?' Shaking my head I told him what was wrong with it.

Though I think Kant pwnd Descartes and his version of the Ontological argument better than any of us could.

"The definition of God is that he is perfect and that's how we imagine him, but for something to be perfect it HAS to exist, so if we're imagining a perfect being, therefore it exists." It doesn't take a genius to know that's rubbish. Descartes didn't because he meditated in an oven and put a question mark next to everything people talked about.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline 13UnderTheGun

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2009, 11:03:24 PM »
I recently got hit with this one in an e-mail from a friend that was trying to save my soul...

"God's spirit is in your heart. Jesus is God, and you know it."

And,

"there are no consequences to dennouncing other gods... But there are huge consequences for dennouncing God of the bible and Jesus...."

When I asked him if he knew about Horus, Mithra or Krishna, or even Apollonius... and explained to him all of the smilarities in the stories, he decided he wouldn't respond to me anymore...
The more we learn about the heavens, the more we realize that Heaven is imaginary.

LOOK GOD DOES EXIST AND IF U CANT SEE THAT THEN YOUR A STUPID RETARDED IDIOT WHO IS AN ATHIEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Husky

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Atheist Dog
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2009, 11:07:43 PM »
I recently got hit with this one in an e-mail from a friend that was trying to save my soul...

And,

"there are no consequences to dennouncing other gods... But there are huge consequences for dennouncing God of the bible and Jesus...."

When I asked him if he knew about Horus, Mithra or Krishna, or even Apollonius... and explained to him all of the smilarities in the stories, he decided he wouldn't respond to me anymore...

God's spirit is in my fart. And Jesus was a deluded man who thought he was God. I know it, because he died on the cross. Screamed in pain like any other man when the nails were driven into his hands.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2009, 09:59:22 AM »
Last post that was truly on topic. I guess the saracastic reply was o.k. too.

And,

God's spirit is in my fart. And Jesus was a deluded man who thought he was God. I know it, because he died on the cross. Screamed in pain like any other man when the nails were driven into his hands.

Sarcastic reply above was o.k. too. Still on topic.

Now!!!  PLEASE focus on dumb theist argument here. Preferably ones that are particularly annoying. Could we really have exhausted them
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 10:02:39 AM by rickymooston »

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2009, 11:26:29 AM »
I've removed the off-topic guff to the Pit. :)

Thirteen
Inactive moderator account.

Offline GamerGirl

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • aka Lillium
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2009, 02:37:18 PM »
Full of win, I get to stay!

The one theistic argument that I absolutely despise:

"Openmindedness is meaningless because it hampers your faith it God."

All the other arguments are okay to bear, but I would rather hear the unpardonable sin, because that means the person who used that sin at least considered Christianity at one point in their life, but chose a different path in life.

The argument quoted abashes me and makes me want to cry sometimes.  However, I smile and bear it all like I am supposed to and then try to question their views....

/bump

Meese crossing, be careful.