Author Topic: Most annoying theist arguments  (Read 7296 times)

Offline rickymooston

Re: Most annoying theist arguments
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2008, 09:11:49 AM »
Hi all, first post here.  Great forum...

This isn't an argument for believing in Christianity, but in all my years of "searching for God" in the church, it always drove me nuts how God/Jesus took ALL the credit for the good, but NONE of the blame for the bad.

If something good happened to someone, i.e., job promotion, healthy child, removed a wine stain from a shirt, then the it was the Lord's will and it was because of him.  The person couldn't take credit as it would be evil pride.   

However, if something bad happened to someone, then it was our evil, sinful nature that caused the situation.  The person gets the blame, NEVER God.

Geesh, talk about a huge EGO! 

Sort of like a modern CEO.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Tails_155

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • L!5
    • The Enigma Puzzle
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2008, 09:45:10 AM »
two words: Straw Man

(unless it's "Strawman" in which case, one word...)
Live! Learn! Laugh! Love! Lead!

I'm not all analysis, I like art, too: See?

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2008, 10:13:13 AM »
two words: Straw Man

(unless it's "Strawman" in which case, one word...)

:D

I admit while I've seen theists and atheists both use Strawmen, theists are better at the technique and that is indeed highly annoying.

Do you have any strawmen in particular that keep getting over used by theist after theist?
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Tails_155

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • L!5
    • The Enigma Puzzle
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2008, 10:17:20 AM »
about every other question that isn't totally ignored?

Offline ThePhilosopher

« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2008, 12:21:41 PM »
3)  Claiming miracles that would leave clear evidence happened, but not admitting such evidence simply does not exist. 

I also want some poor fool to try to use pascal's wager on me in person so I can kick them in the shins. 

whats wrong with pascal's wager?

Offline Cycle4Fun

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2008, 12:36:46 PM »
3)  Claiming miracles that would leave clear evidence happened, but not admitting such evidence simply does not exist. 

I also want some poor fool to try to use pascal's wager on me in person so I can kick them in the shins. 

1.  You can't choose to believe.
2.  There are an infinite amount of possibilities all with the same amount of evidence (0)
3.  By Pascal's argument you should pick the religion with the worst hell and/or best heaven
How do you define soul?
"A baseless assertion by simple-minded, superstitious individuals"
   -Starstuff

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2008, 01:31:16 PM »
By what authority do you base your morality is my pet MOST annoying theist argument

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2008, 02:21:14 PM »

It does disturb me that you call yourself the philosopher and don't already know.  Thank you, Cyke, for the review.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2008, 04:39:45 PM »

It does disturb me that you call yourself the philosopher and don't already know.  Thank you, Cyke, for the review.

Yep.  It's why I called Dunning-Kruger in the other thread.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:42:09 PM by Hermes »
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »

Yep.  It's why I called Dunning-Kruger in the other thread.

Is that a rather innovative way to insult somebody?  ;D  Basically, "you are too stupid and arrogant to comprehend that I already checkmated you 15 moves ago."

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2008, 05:42:41 PM »
Is that a rather innovative way to insult somebody?  ;D  Basically, "you are too stupid and arrogant to comprehend that I already checkmated you 15 moves ago."

Keep in mind, it's not intended as an insult because an insult is intended to bring someone to a lower position than they deserve.  It's a statement of fact; someone who calls themselves a philosopher and considers Pascal's Wager as valid is either incompetent or intends to insult our intelligence.  From what I've seen, I doubt it is the later in TP's case.

How's that for an insult?   ;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 05:44:14 PM by Hermes »
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Pale Rider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Agnostic
    • Bible Police
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2008, 05:48:04 PM »

Say what? Am I reading this right? Man I knew my glasses were bad but darn.....

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2008, 06:09:48 PM »

Keep in mind, it's not intended as an insult because an insult is intended to bring someone to a lower position than they deserve.  It's a statement of fact; someone who calls themselves a philosopher and considers Pascal's Wager as valid is either incompetent or intends to insult our intelligence.  From what I've seen, I doubt it is the later in TP's case.

How's that for an insult?   ;D

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2008, 09:09:16 PM »
Well, even the confidently ignorant occasionally have merits.  Not that I can think of any right now, but if paid good money I'd write some ego boosting good copy.

Offline Husky

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Atheist Dog
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2008, 09:45:15 PM »

Er... *SPEECHLESS* What's wrong with you? Haven't recovered since the lobotomy?
I believe that you believe your God is real. It's called a DELUSION.

Offline madame_zora

« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2008, 10:46:28 PM »
Well, even the confidently ignorant occasionally have merits.  Not that I can think of any right now, but if paid good money I'd write some ego boosting good copy.

*scrounges for cash*

Uh, what can I get for eight dollars and sixty-seven cents?

MY most annoying argument is the argument from personal stupidity. It goes something like this: I don't understand __________ so that proves goddidit!!!

Do they understand evolution? No! {ah didn't cum frum no ape!}
Do they understand abiogenesis? No! {huh, wut's that?}
Do the understand the second law of thermodynamics they try to throw around? No! {proves goddidit, besides sumpthin can't cum frum nuthin.}

It boils down to "Because I'm stupid, god is real".
"Reality isn't something we invented to embarrass religious people." ~ captainmanacles

"Looking forward to a continuation of already-eternal life as myriad wandering  atoms doing interesting stuff." ~ Astreja

http://madamezoratoo.blogspot.com/

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2008, 10:57:33 PM »

*scrounges for cash*

For you my dear Madame, any compliment that I could create in your honor -- ones that would justly make lesser people fidget and blush in selfless embarrassment -- would be unworthy of you.  I would be universally shunned if I were to take a cent from you, so I must humbly refuse.

How are ya sexy?  Long time no 'see'!

Offline madame_zora

« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2008, 11:03:44 PM »

*scrounges for cash*

For you my dear Madame, any compliment that I could create in your honor -- ones that would justly make lesser people fidget and blush in selfless embarrassment -- would be unworthy of you.  I would be universally shunned if I were to take a cent from you, so I must humbly refuse.

How are ya sexy?  Long time no 'see'!

Hey there hot stuff, I've had a case of "life intervenes" syndrome. Life- who needs it? Things are settling down again.

My mama taught me to look out for the silver-tongued devils, haha.
"Reality isn't something we invented to embarrass religious people." ~ captainmanacles

"Looking forward to a continuation of already-eternal life as myriad wandering  atoms doing interesting stuff." ~ Astreja

Offline kevyrat69

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • oh rats.
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2008, 06:42:46 AM »
I told someone at work I didn't believe in god and somebody said, "You can't see the wind, does it exist?"  Like I'm stupid for not believing in god.
http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/

whatever people are experiencing when they experience God, it's not something they're perceiving in the external world. It's something their brains are making up.
Greta Christina

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2008, 09:23:45 AM »
I told someone at work I didn't believe in god and somebody said, "You can't see the wind, does it exist?"  Like I'm stupid for not believing in god.

^^.

MY most annoying argument is the argument from personal stupidity. It goes something like this: I don't understand __________ so that proves goddidit!!!

A generalization of the classic God of the Gaps argument, the retro-active gap.

Along lines you mentioned, its annoying when they keep quoting Darwin, since more than 100 years of science has followed Darwin!!!

P.S. I second the welcome back.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 09:26:19 AM by rickymooston »

Offline Tails_155

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • L!5
    • The Enigma Puzzle
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2008, 12:35:10 AM »
"You didn't answer my question"

when they didn't ASK a question... ESPECIALLY when compounded with the fact they often don't answer the questions I do ask, and requote if unanswered...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXMKPvWqgYk[/youtube]

here's a GREAT list
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 12:50:33 PM by Tails_155 »

Offline gold_digging_ants

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2008, 06:48:49 AM »
The one I've been getting a bit the past few days (which I don't think is covered here) is "you can't disprove God, therefore he's real!"  And when I point out that that's a logical fallacy (complete with link), I either get "logic doesn't apply to God" or "you just don't understand" (which is annoying all on its own) or "I don't have to follow your rules!"

Followed by "you can't disprove God, therefore he's real!  I win!"

The other one that irritates me is "an atheist said that, therefore it's not right" (which was used on me for "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence")
But the Bible has so many uses! After all, that very thin paper is perfect for origami, for starting fires, for using as a replacement coffee filter...
A friend of mine, on Facebook chat.

Offline StPatrick

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • The patron saint of WWGHA
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2008, 12:35:59 PM »
The one I've been getting a bit the past few days (which I don't think is covered here) is "you can't disprove God, therefore he's real!"  And when I point out that that's a logical fallacy (complete with link), I either get "logic doesn't apply to God" or "you just don't understand" (which is annoying all on its own) or "I don't have to follow your rules!"

Followed by "you can't disprove God, therefore he's real!  I win!"

So basically, anything from Ichabencow.

The other one that irritates me is "an atheist said that, therefore it's not right" (which was used on me for "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence")

We should turn it back on them and say "A Christian said that, therefore it's not right."
If we come together and do not fight over religion, class and borders then we hold the key to a peaceful world. There are two possible futures in store; either a March of power and greed or a March of a unified human race.

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2008, 05:46:34 PM »
So basically, anything from Ichabencow.

Actually, I've had that from three theists in the past three or four days.  But ichabencow has been the most annoying about it.
But the Bible has so many uses! After all, that very thin paper is perfect for origami, for starting fires, for using as a replacement coffee filter...

Offline Atheist_Convert

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2008, 06:04:08 PM »
Okay, I haven't seen this one in here yet but see it on many, many threads in  one form or another.

"If you used to be a christian, there is no way you were a true chirstiantm". Implying or outright saying you're a liar and were never sincere in your search or beliefs.

Not my number one least favorite but certainly very annoying.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2008, 06:12:59 PM »
Okay, I haven't seen this one in here yet but see it on many, many threads in  one form or another.

"If you used to be a christian, there is no way you were a true chirstiantm". Implying or outright saying you're a liar and were never sincere in your search or beliefs.

Not my number one least favorite but certainly very annoying.

[stating the obvious ...]

Self defense meme.  It corrects for any doubt by nuking it from the start.

Note that it doesn't work in reverse; a Muslim that converts to Christianity was neither a 'true Muslim' nor a 'untrue Muslim' ... all that matters is the Christianity part.

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2008, 06:37:17 PM »
And every atheist that converts/ reconverts to Christianity was definitely a RealTrueStrongAtheistTM

Offline Dissenter

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Quid, Me Anxius Sum?
« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2008, 06:43:04 PM »
I think you need to cut the crap about Christians, we believe God is real, because He is real.

From mail bag a couple of days ago. http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=3303.msg69977#msg69977

These people get to vote. It makes me cry.  :'(
What is above all needed is to let the meaning choose the word, and not the other way around.

-George Orwell

Been caught making shit up again? Attend the I don't know 12 step program for help.

Offline madame_zora

« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2008, 07:30:53 PM »
I think you need to cut the crap about Christians, we believe God is real, because He is real.

From mail bag a couple of days ago. http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=3303.msg69977#msg69977

These people get to vote. It makes me cry.  :'(

Me too, but their posts here provide limitless hours of entertainment so thanks for sharing.