Author Topic: Help me [#2819]  (Read 149 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Help me [#2819]
« on: September 10, 2014, 07:09:28 AM »
Please help me. I'm scared Of hell. I don't know what to believe because people are saying they went to hell and back and they were atheists but are they lying or telling the truth? If u have time please answer me.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Re: Help me [#2819]
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 07:19:18 AM »
Please help me. I'm scared Of hell. I don't know what to believe because people are saying they went to hell and back and they were atheists but are they lying or telling the truth? If u have time please answer me.

Besides "hell and back" being a metaphorical saying, if they didn't bring evidence, like post cards or rock samples, they're mistaken. There is no Hell, for there is no god to create one.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 07:23:20 AM »
Quote from: confused

In the words of the late great Mr John Lennon

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 08:15:43 AM »
If they are atheists saying they've been to hell and back, it's a metaphor. If they are theists saying it, they very likely are also using the phrase metaphorically. If they are actually serious, they are in dire need of medical attention.

Join the forum for more discussion about why you can let go of these fears.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 08:25:06 AM »

Which Hell are you afraid of?

The Catholic Hell which used to have purgatory if you just wanted a short visit. The Protestant Hell without purgatory. The Hell which might or might not exist in various cults. Are you afraid of the Muslim Hell? I doubt the Muslim Hell worries you at all. What about the Hindu Hell and a nasty rebirth? I doubt that worries you in the least. So why worry about what people imagine when their brains are deprived of oxygen when their brains construct cultural images? Do you know that in these experiences people also see family who are still alive?
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 08:45:42 AM »
The only hell you need to worry about is the one inside your head which is causing you all this fear.

The way to deal with it is, every time you find yourself thinking of hell (and getting scared of it), come up with something to tell yourself that counters the fear (for example, "I am not going to be afraid of this").  It takes time, because the brain has to strengthen the new nerve pathway you're creating to replace the one that leads you to be terrified, but it does work if you keep at it.  I used a similar technique to overcome my tendency to get angry at the stupid things that people would do on the road, but I just kept telling myself that it wasn't worth getting angry at them, and eventually, I didn't.

Another thing you can do is, when you find yourself getting afraid, stop and take a few moments to simply breathe, and concentrate on maintaining a regular in/out rhythm.  Fear seizes up the body's processes, so the best way to disrupt it is to focus on returning one of those processes to normal.  There's no reason you can't combine the two, of course.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +768/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 09:57:44 AM »
There is a hell. It is the hell you are going through now because you've been lied to about the existence of a real hell. The reason you're scared is because christians want you to be scared, not because there is something to be afraid of.

The lies of religion are not only in the stories, but also in the false threats.

When you die, that's the end of it. And if I'm wrong about that, and there is more, I can assure you that no afterlife is going to include a hell-like place. Beings with infinite power have better things to do than ruin your eternity. Only humans want such things.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 10:21:25 AM »
Here's a question to ask yourself:  Who benefits from the concept of hell?

Not the believers:  It taints their relationship with a supposedly loving god.

Not a god:  Why would You expend energy to hang onto a reminder of Your failure to communicate, and listen to them scream for eternity?  No; I think You would want them out of sight and mind as quickly as possible.  You also don't want to lose the loyalty of good people who are justifiably concerned about the people suffering in hell.

No, the only people who benefit from hell are priests, ministers, pastors and other clergy, and occasionally people in government who want a docile and obedient population.  Hell is a good way to scare people into the pews and get them to sit down, shut up and obey out of sheer fear.  The money they scare into the collection plates is a bonus.

If you still believe in a god, trust that it's good enough and reasonable enough to not torture people.  If you disbelieve, take a deep breath and mentally confront the flames, breathing evenly and easily and let the fear fade away, breath by breath.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 10:53:40 AM »
Get some perspective on your religious indoctrination. It's that indoctrination that enables your fear. But people have been thinking and writing about this topic for a long time, and there are other viewpoints out there.

Even while I was a believer myself, I found Karen Armstrong's A History of God and Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World interesting and thought-provoking. Those two books are the bare tip of the iceberg.

You could also join this forum, or any number of others, such as this:http://new.exchristian.net/p/forums.html. You aren't alone in this kind of fear and struggle.

Seek professional help if you find your fear of a literal hell (for which there is no evidence) actually crippling. I have struggled with depression and social anxiety all my life, and the help of qualified therapists was a great boon. I've been an atheist for nearly ten years, and not being afraid of hell is one of the great benefits of non-belief in deities.

I wish you well.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 11:08:50 AM »
They are lying.

I know this because the idea of what xians now call hell is a modern construction that did not exist when jesus was alive. The jews did not and still do not believe in hell.  Even the word is germanic and comes from mythology.  It is not part of the hebrew tradition.  It is a tool used to propagandize and terrorize people so that they would become and stay xian.  Just do a little research on it. 

Some links to get you started:
http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=H7585&t=KJV
http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G86&t=KJV
http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G5020&t=KJV
http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G1067&t=KJV
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell#Etymology_and_Germanic_mythology
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #10 on: Today at 01:45:59 PM »

Do you know someone that is afraid of something you are well aware doesn't exist? Be it demonic possession, abducting aliens, ghosts, witches curses, werewolves, vampires, voodoo hexes....something of that nature.

Then ask yourself, "Do I have any better evidence of Hell, than they do of their imaginary object of fear?"
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.