Author Topic: Ever seen an atheist who loves a Christian?  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Professor
  • Darwins +354/-39
Ever seen an atheist who loves a Christian?
« on: June 23, 2015, 11:21:32 PM »
Or an atheist who doesn't hate people who believe in a god?

Consider this a "sister thread" to Johns.

I understand that it is impossible to actually hate a fictional character in a book. That is where Johns question fails. He probably understands that too but he phrased his question the way he did for reasons, probably psychological, known only to Sigmund Freud (Peace be unto him).

I have seen a bumper sticker on several cars around here that reads. "Lord, please save me from your followers".

So, anyone ever seen an atheist who loves a Theist or doesn't hate theists in general? I have.

I am not sure how to describe the intricacies of this Hell, so I chose to begin with the most common or prominent theme of Hell, which is uncertainty.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
Re: Ever seen an atheist who loves a Christian?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 11:36:56 PM »
The first girl I ever fell in love with was a Christian. She knew I was an atheist (because I told her, I had this uncanny inability of not lying to her about anything) and when she distanced herself away from me I tried to pretend I wasn't serious, just a phase I was going through which wasn't true and she knew.

But I knew she liked me as much as I liked her it's just she believed all the stereotypes and lies our church told.  It took 8 years after that to get over her. I drank, did drugs, had lots of sex and then I moved away and stopped doing drugs, having lots of sex, and eventually stopped drinking to try to get her back even though I never really had her.

She got married and has four kids. I've written her over 1,000 poems. I saw her recently, and she was wearing the locket I once gave her telling her that my heart was inside it and would always be next to her heart when she wore it.

This is the last poem I ever wrote her:

http://allpoetry-classic.com/poem/7245715-dog_beat-by-Nam

dog beat

for lisa

it just                                            I don't
know what to say in the every evening that has a mexican coast
                it's like misspelling
my name
on the back of a milk carton
that has a picture
of a missing person
                                      and that missing person
is you      or so
I think or     so
I hope

'cause
                            I'd like to find you
                            thumbing a ride
                            down some desolate highway
                            and see you
        wearing
                            the dress you
                            always said you wore
       and I think
            you did
once
      at sunday school      and I just forgot
                            because you were gullible
                            like that ..

perhaps you'll be wanting me to stop
and I pull over
and you get in
                   don't recognize
                        who I am
      I had that face
young and all
        but it has turned with age
            but you have stayed the same

I'll not use vulgar characters when I ask you
      your name
tho   I already know what it is
         and you tell me that
I look familiar
         and I just say,

"souls travel down many roads."
                                     you'll smile
                                     and I'll remember
                                     your voice one more time
and tho you'd be speaking to me
then
       I couldn't really hear you
not like I used to
       it's as if you're in the distant rain
and I am trying to cover you with my jacket
so you don't get wet
                    as if me protecting
you is
       ever what I wanted
                                      you'll smile
                                      and I'll remember
                                      how you pulled
out the guy who lived in carnival rides
the guy who would get drunk and not care who he'd hurt
the guy who would say nasty things to you
   but not to your face
because heartbreak is the lighter that doesn't light
and time is the clock that always holds on 2am

remembrance will always be hard to remember
                      and a dog's breath will always seem beat

it just                                                    I don't
know what I'd really do                          I think I'd just
pass      you by                   and remember
your smile and reminisce on your voice ..

David Garrett Arnold
April 06 2005

(Author's notes: It reminds me of what could have been)

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +216/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 12:41:47 AM »
I know and love a few Christians, my father among them. I like and respect others, including a number of family friends. None of them are very self-conscious or prideful about their beliefs, though my dad is more open than the others. But he and my stepmom live in North Carolina, where religion is far more a part of public life than here on the Left coast.

Moving poem, Nam. Visually as well as emotionally striking.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +44/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 01:37:16 AM »
Most of my friends are theists and one of the closest is a devout Christian. True to his commitment to his god, he tries his best to convert me and consistently fails to make any inroads. He truly believes that the Judgement Day is close and he will have the heartbreaking task of fighting me (as part of the force opposing God and Son) and packing me off to the hot place for all eternity. (He will be beside his Lord, riding a white horse in combat and I have chosen the Kamov Ka-52 as my mount) We are colleagues, so this happens a lot in office, he has a particular vendetta for WWGHA atheists and some of you may face his wrath in the big one.

Last year my wife was diagnosed with early stages of breast cancer. Before each surgery and chemo he would call with the same words "I know you don't believe, all of us[1]are praying for you, she is going to be fine", followed by texting Psalm 23:4. For almost an year he refrained from attempting to convert me and started only after my wife had sufficiently recovered. But when he does, there is no reference to her illness or any offerings for cure if we accept Jesus. It is the same duel as in the beginning days. Now I find it hard to imagine shooting him off the white horse with an HE Frag round in the final battle. Some Christians are lovable.
 1. He has a big prayer group in office and they actually prayed

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +169/-2
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 01:48:34 AM »
She got married and has four kids. I've written her over 1,000 poems. I saw her recently, and she was wearing the locket I once gave her telling her that my heart was inside it and would always be next to her heart when she wore it.

So ... as long as your heart is inside that locket ... you can't die? Until, that is, someone stabs your heart and replaces it with their own.

As for the OP ... I married a Christian (legal wedding only). She's Atheist now, so I kind of cheated.
2 Interwebs 7:42
And in the seventh year, thou shalt cast out the Nam from thine assembly for he haveth a potty mouth.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +616/-66
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 02:01:57 AM »
*raises hand*
Most of my romantic partners were christians.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +216/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 02:14:16 AM »
We are colleagues, so this happens a lot in office, he has a particular vendetta for WWGHA atheists and some of you may face his wrath in the big one.

A vendetta for atheists who ask this site's titular question or the specific atheists here? Has he visited and commented on the forum?
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +68/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 03:03:50 AM »
Given that the world is 4/5ths religious the odds of an atheist not loving at least one person who is religious. Is huge and the possibility of they being a christian is also high, it being the largest, especially in the western world.

I married a catholic. Though she is not practising, she does want to believe in a god.

When we meet people we don't instantly ask them what religion they are or not, that is something that is discussed later or not at all. Well not in my case I only found out, after I asked her to marry me. I.E. choosing a church. Once we had decided, that was the last time we ever discussed it.

Bert
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +44/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 03:55:13 AM »
A vendetta for atheists who ask this site's titular question or the specific atheists here? Has he visited and commented on the forum?

No, he doesn't do well in forums, so yet to join. As a practice he sends me the "Slice of Infinity" (Ravi Zacharias stuff) and I send him related discussions from WWGHA. So he knows many of the regulars here from their posts (and appreciates the logic/criteria used). It goes something like "One day your kcrady (example) will face me and Jesus...."

Nothing more serious than that... :)

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +434/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 07:12:36 AM »

I understand that it is impossible to actually hate a fictional character in a book. That is where Johns question fails. He probably understands that too but he phrased his question the way he did for reasons, probably psychological, known only to Sigmund Freud (Peace be unto him).

I have seen a bumper sticker on several cars around here that reads. "Lord, please save me from your followers".

So, anyone ever seen an atheist who loves a Theist or doesn't hate theists in general? I have.

I'm disappointed Mr B.

Can you please define "love" in your thread title, and then define "hate" in your first sentence. I would love to know what you seem to be implying with this thread.

Based on general definitions of those two words, I can't believe you might actually buy into your implied intent with this thread. For as long as you have been here, it seems odd to me that you think this question might be clever, or worthy of responses from atheists. It's not.

Offline Defiance

• Reader
  • Darwins +92/-5
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 07:14:51 AM »
Yeah, I like humans.
Q: Why are quantum physicists bad lovers? A: Because when they find the position, they can't find the momentum, and when they have the momentum, they can't find the position.

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/miscellaneousjokes/schooljokes/physicsjokes.html

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 07:27:06 AM »
Yeah, I like humans.

Humans suck. I like penguins.

-Nam

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +68/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 07:36:00 AM »
Penguins waddle. I like puss cats

-Bert
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 07:55:51 AM »
Not my cat, you wouldn't.

-Nam

Offline John 3 16

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +5/-22
  • Darwins +0/-1,000,000,000
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 10:00:24 AM »
Atheists love Christians Mr. B.
As long as we leave'em alone.  ;D
If I ever stop showing up here.
You know I am unjustly banned by Mods.

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1133/-27
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 10:32:44 AM »
Atheists love Christians Mr. B.
As long as we leave'em alone.  ;D
Would you want to spend time around someone who told you that you were destined for some awful fate unless you believed the same thing they did?
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline John 3 16

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +5/-22
  • Darwins +0/-1,000,000,000
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 10:41:57 AM »
Would you stand alone and have your arms crossed when you know someone is about to face some awful fate?[1]
 1. Whether you are right or wrong.
If I ever stop showing up here.
You know I am unjustly banned by Mods.

Offline YRM_DM

• Reader
  • Darwins +425/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »
Nah, I like a lot of theists.   

I guess I have the most frustration with the ones who make excuses for God out of one side of their mouth, and say we can't comprehend the mind of God out of the other side of their mouth... they'll say whatever works to cling to their tenuous grip that this Biblical monster is "good" and "faithful".

But I don't think I hate any of them.   I don't hate any of the theists in this forum or any other forum I post to.

I don't necessarily like, say, what Skeptic says... but I don't hate the guy.  I hope he has a wonderful life.
You can't spell BELIEVE without LIE...  and a few other letters.  B and E and V and I think E.

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1133/-27
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 01:14:38 PM »
Would you stand alone and have your arms crossed when you know someone is about to face some awful fate?[1]
 1. Whether you are right or wrong.
The problem is, you don't know.  Your basis for believing that is the Bible, but the Bible was written in large part to make sure that believers toed the line.  That does not provide any way to assess the accuracy of any statement made by the Bible, and therefore will not serve to convince the people you are trying to save that you know what you're talking about, unless they are already predisposed to believe.
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Professor
  • Darwins +354/-39
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 09:40:15 PM »

I'm disappointed Mr B.

Can you please define "love" in your thread title, and then define "hate" in your first sentence. I would love to know what you seem to be implying with this thread.

Based on general definitions of those two words, I can't believe you might actually buy into your implied intent with this thread. For as long as you have been here, it seems odd to me that you think this question might be clever, or worthy of responses from atheists. It's not.

Like I said, this thread is in response to the other one John 3:16 has going. The question of whether or not atheists hate god is kind of silly...or rather, incomplete. Many people rightly point out that the God in the Bible is to them no more real than Randall Falgg is from The Dark Tower. How can someone actually hate a fictional character?

If someone started a religion worshiping Randall Falgg and somehow that religion became dominant and influential and made all sorts of demands and meted out punishment for non compliance then it would still be ridiculous to hate a fictional character.

The root of the question lies within the people who make up the congregation. For which I have seen plenty of testimony (from myself included) about disliking and possibly even hating religion. But even that is only one step above hating God. At least religions are real so people can see the results of religious ideas and activities.

However, with religion it is also the people. The individuals are the ones who give the vehicle of religion momentum. So, in my mind...to get to the heart of the question it would be better to ask the question the way I presented it.

My attempt was to counter a non sequiter with something people can actually relate to. I feel it's less divisive this way because I knew that I would get replies explaining that yes, in fact, it is possible for people who believe in God and people who don't believe in God to love one another. If you break everything down to the individual level we can all get along because, one on one...we recognize that there is not really that much difference in our humanity.

It's these large controlling bodies, these ancient monolithic ideas too many people hold allegiance to that seem to keep us divided.

I am not sure how to describe the intricacies of this Hell, so I chose to begin with the most common or prominent theme of Hell, which is uncertainty.

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +353/-117
  • MIGHT DOES NOT MAKE RIGHT. Seeing is believing!
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 08:38:28 AM »
There is 1 theist I hate, Moses.  His bad perception of God has caused the deaths of 100's of millions and discrimination.  He said God give him a commandment thou shalt not kill then went ahead and killed everybody, women and children too in the lands that his warriors attacked.  That is a psychopath.  Genghis Kahn and Nero is the only other historical characters that I can think of that comes close to Moses.  The only difference being they did not proclaim to know a loving god and murder in that name.

That IS NOT LOVE. 

My Father was a Christian my grandparents too and I loved them very much, still do but they are in the grave now.  They all disowned me when I came out about being gay.  It took 5-7 years and a lot of back breaking work no other family member would do to be accepted JUST AS I AM.

If you wanna make the world a better place,
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change...
Michael Jackson and Batman

Offline YRM_DM

• Reader
  • Darwins +425/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 01:26:54 PM »
Yeah, Moses was a piece of work.

God did have him spare the young virgin girls after his soldiers killed their pregnant mothers though, so that Hebrew soldiers could force them to become war brides.

The only thing that I come close to "hating" about believers is their refusal to consider looking at the acts described in the Bible objectively.

Jesus has a perfect opportunity to denounce slavery... does he?  No.
God has a perfect opportunity to bless his people for keeping his commands, like "thou shall not kill".   Does he?  No.  God just orders them to wipe out other tribes and nations.

Even when God starts over with 8 people after mass genocide, it doesn't work.

Why would anyone ever think, if there was a God, that any of his future plans would work out?

Created the heavens?  Satan and his angels rebelled.
Created Adam & Eve, leave them alone with a talking snake?  Come back furious, curse billions to die in labor and childbirth.
Rebooted the earth with Noah's flood but left original sin in place?  Things stayed just as they were before.
Sent Jesus to die for himself to save ourselves from a place God created?   

Well, if you talk to Christians, many think the world is worse now than it ever was.

So... given the track record of every single thing God tried "not working"... how is he perfect?  How is he good?   Why would the second earth "work out" when nothing else has worked out?

So many problems in the stories that believers won't even address, they just block it out and say the same stupid garbage over and over.

Think of the most horrific combination of acts you can think of for a human being to do.   If God did those same acts in the Old Testament, you'd have Christians making excuses for why it really wasn't bad after all.

It's just like how abuse victims defend their abusive partners.

I feel a huge mix of anger, frustration, and pity for their lack of ability to look at the stories with any kind of objectivity...

If a believer found a book of Thor, and Thor ordered genocide, and young virgins taken as brides, Christians would say that it proves why pagan religions were evil and had to be wiped out.  But if you read the exact same thing in the Bible, it's ignored.

This is why I say that believers are lying.  They are staring at this stuff right in the face, and refusing to try to look at it objectively.  The excuses for God are all, essentially, lies.   The kind of lies a parent tells about their kid who is a bully, after the bully is caught beating another kid nearly to death...

"Well, Johnny really is a good kid.  He has so many friends.  He'd never do anything like this."

They know they are lying, but they block out the truth in order to keep it up.
You can't spell BELIEVE without LIE...  and a few other letters.  B and E and V and I think E.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Professor
  • Darwins +354/-39
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 04:32:30 PM »
The things people do in order to be accepted never cease to amaze and confound me. Ain't no pressure like peer pressure.