Author Topic: suggestion [#793]  (Read 487 times)

Offline DL

suggestion [#793]
« on: December 08, 2008, 07:09:45 PM »
Newly converted ex-christian here and i wanted to say that your site has been nothing short of life changing for me. I wanted to throw out a suggestion for the video clips you post on the site and on youtube. I think they are extremely well done and made me realize what an idiot I've been.
(btw, I know the following situation has been covered before and it's commonly used in debate, and that's exactly why I'm choosing it. However I think I can put a new twist on it, please read until the end)..

"WHY DOES GOD SEND BILLIONS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE TO HELL FOR NO REASON".??

Answer from christians of course - "he doesn't"

"what about people from other religions who believe in other gods, they will go to hell because they deny christ...it says so in the bible"

Christian answer: "Those people have every opportunity to hear the word of christ, missionaries are sent to spread the word of christ to other religions and if they then decide to reject him, they are sent to hell."

Do you think that's fair, to be sent to fiery, torturous hell for not beliveing in christ?

"yes, it says so in the bible"

*so here's what I wanted to throw at them to prove that he does send billions of innocent people to hell. All they have to do is answer one question honestly:

Scenario: Now we all know that your religion is correct, but let's just pretend, hypothetically for one moment, that another religion is correct (______insert religion here, the religion is irrelevant...any religion can be used but for my example I'll use hinduism)

Tomorrow you get a knock on your door and you see an Indian gentlemen standing at your door and he's holding an 8 legged elephant.  Here's what the Indian man says to you:

"Good day brother, I'm here to spread the word of Hinduism.  My religion is the authority on who gets into heaven and hell and it is my obligation to inform you of this. You must accept my god as yours or you will go to hell for all eternity"

The million dollar question for Christians: WHAT WOULD YOU TELL THIS MAN?

..."If you were nice, you'd tell him to get off your lawn or to go fly a kite.  Guess what, you just bought one ticket to hell because his god was right. Now let's get back to the real world in which your God is the correct one. Well according to the loving father in heaven, all the people who were told about your religion and refused have a fate of an eternal hell...roughly 4 billion of them."

-I've looked at this scenario from all angles and can't possibly imagine somebody reading and not realizing that there's something wrong here. The tables were turned on them, they were put in a situation, answered a question honestly and realized they were going to hell. I would challenge any christian who just answered this question to possibly come up with any sort of reason/excuse/rebuttal that their god in fact does send billions of innocent people to hell for eternity.  

Thanks for the consideration.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
Re: suggestion [#793]
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 08:36:28 PM »
Newly converted ex-christian here and i wanted to say that your site has been nothing short of life changing for me.

Congratulations on your de-conversion from religion.  If you aren't already, you should register here so you can post your story and learn about others.  There are plenty of us here from all walks of life.

*This message should definitely go in a special place just for messages like this.  This site is obviously doing some good which is exactly why most of us are here.*
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline GotMooo

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 01:14:57 AM »
Quote from: Irish
*This message should definitely go in a special place just for messages like this.  This site is obviously doing some good which is exactly why most of us are here.*

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=2885.msg60940;topicseen#msg60940

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 01:21:45 AM »
Quote from: Irish

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=2885.msg60940;topicseen#msg60940

Way to go GM.  A nice hearty pat on the back for that one.  ;)  If there were karma here I'd give you quite a few.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline L6

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Ignostic
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 01:31:18 AM »
Newly converted ex-christian here and i wanted to say that your site has been nothing short of life changing for me.
Indeed, if you find yourself floundering a little bit and (paradoxically, as a free-thinker) need some guidance/support, stop on by. Many of us have probably endured similar situations.
God's existence is contingent upon the illusion that morality is dictated by religious authority.