Author Topic: U R STUPID [#762]  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +241/-2
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
Re: U R STUPID [#762]
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
who's to say that God didn't move it to where it is now during the flood?

Who's to say Loki didn't do it?  Pranks like that are right up his alley, y'know.

We can argue all night about what a hypothetical being did or did not or would or would not do.  But in the morning there's still no evidence for the existence of gods.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2008, 12:59:23 AM »
[moved...]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:57:48 PM by Hermes »
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2008, 09:20:21 AM »
Don't worry Hermes, I'm getting to you.

Your theory is just that, a theory.  And maybe I'm starting to sound like you guys a little bit here, but there's no way you can prove that those mountains were once part of the sea floor.  No one was there, no one took pictures.  You may find something that looks like evidence and put it up on a podium exclaiming "Proof!"  But even if it was, who's to say that God didn't move it to where it is now during the flood?

Celest, you are simply ignorant and do not wnat your personal myth destroyed.  No, it's not a theory.  We know this is happening still.  Mt. Everest is still rising because of the impact of the Indian subcontinent. 

I do love how you insist that "no one was there, no one took pictures".  Yep, no one was there.  No one was there to take "pictures" of your supposed savior, either.  Oops, there is the "proof" that your religion is a fallacy, per your own claim.  Are you so ignorant to not know how your attempt at denial reflect on your own personal beliefs? 

IF you want to say that God magically did everything, you may as well claim that God made the universe a nanosecond ago and we only think we remember anything. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2008, 11:46:36 AM »
Celest,

Are you going to address the point or not?

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2008, 01:58:07 PM »
[repost after move]

The fact is that you can provide no evidence that my religion is fallacious

Depends on your deity.  How do you answer these;

The problem of Evil
http://www.philosophyofreligion.info/?page_id=52

The Euthopro Dilemma
http://www.philosophyofreligion.info/?page_id=89

If you want more details, just ask.   The first one is difficult, the second is a dozy.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer