Author Topic: Are atheist humanist?  (Read 2432 times)

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +357/-117
  • MIGHT DOES NOT MAKE RIGHT. Seeing is believing!
Are atheist humanist?
« on: March 24, 2015, 06:18:28 AM »
I am.  Let's define the term. 

a system of values and beliefs that is based on the idea that people are basically good and that problems can be solved using reason instead of religion

This is my ideology.  Let's see the rest.

a :  devotion to the humanities :  literary culture
b :  the revival of classical letters, individualistic and critical spirit, and emphasis on secular concerns characteristic of the Renaissance
:  humanitarianism
:  a doctrine, attitude, or way of life centered on human interests or values; especially :  a philosophy that usually rejects supernaturalism and stresses an individual's dignity and worth and capacity for self-realization through reason

I especially like definition 3. 

Here's wiki's definition: Humanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers critical thinking and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over established doctrine or faith (fideism). The meaning of the term humanism has fluctuated, according to the successive intellectual movements which have identified with it.[1] Generally, however, humanism refers to a perspective that affirms some notion of a "human nature" (sometimes contrasted with antihumanism).

In modern times, humanist movements are typically aligned with secularism, and today "Humanism" typically refers to a non-theistic life stance centred on human agency, and looking to science instead of religious dogma in order to understand the world.

If you wanna make the world a better place,
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change...
Michael Jackson and Batman

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +475/-40
Re: Are atheist humanist?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 06:20:13 AM »
Some are.  Some aren't.
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +624/-67
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 06:22:54 AM »
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +357/-117
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 06:33:28 AM »
Some are.  Some aren't.

Where do you get your information from?

Some Christians are good some aren't. 

Should they be?  Let me clarify, my apologies.  Should atheists be humanists if they want to be an atheist?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:40:49 AM by junebug72 »

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +170/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 06:44:32 AM »
Some are.  Some aren't.

Where do you get your information from?

Look at the definitions junebug72, some atheists don't give a flying fuck about the rest of humanity, some atheists are buddhists.

Being atheist doesn't necessarily follow that you are humanist.

A few more defenitions for you

Roughly speaking, the word humanist has come to mean someone who:

•trusts to the scientific method when it comes to understanding how the universe works and rejects the idea of the supernatural (and is therefore an atheist or agnostic)
     •makes their ethical decisions based on reason, empathy, and a concern for human beings and other sentient animals
     •believes that, in the absence of an afterlife and any discernible purpose to the universe, human beings can act to give their own lives meaning by seeking happiness in this life and helping others to do the same.

However, definitions abound and there are longer and shorter versions. The fullest definition to have a measure of international agreement is contained in the 2002 Amsterdam Declaration of the International humanist and Ethical Union. Some others include:

…a commitment to the perspective, interests and centrality of human persons; a belief in reason and autonomy as foundational aspects of human existence; a belief that reason, scepticism and the scientific method are the only appropriate instruments for discovering truth and structuring the human community; a belief that the foundations for ethics and society are to be found in autonomy and moral equality…

- Concise Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy

An appeal to reason in contrast to revelation or religious authority as a means of finding out about the natural world and destiny of man, and also giving a grounding for morality…Humanist ethics is also distinguished by placing the end of moral action in the welfare of humanity rather than in fulfilling the will of God.

- Oxford Companion to Philosophy

Believing that it is possible to live confidently without metaphysical or religious certainty and that all opinions are open to revision and correction, [Humanists] see human flourishing as dependent on open communication, discussion, criticism and unforced consensus.

- Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy

That man should show respect to man, irrespective of class, race or creed is fundamental to the humanist attitude to life. Among the fundamental moral principles, he would count those of freedom, justice, tolerance and happiness…the attitude that people can live an honest, meaningful life without following a formal religious creed.

- Pears Cyclopaedia, 87th edition, 1978

Rejection of religion in favour of the advancement of humanity by its own efforts.

- Collins Concise Dictionary

A non-religious philosophy, based on liberal human values.

- Little Oxford Dictionary
[1]

https://humanism.org.uk/humanism/

Online Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +553/-11
  • Proudly 'biased' against the supernatural
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 06:49:47 AM »
Should atheists be humanists if they want to be an atheist?

Atheism is about beliefs, humanism is about ethics. They are not interchangeable because they describe different things.
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +444/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 07:02:23 AM »
I am a humanist. I am also a strong atheist (there are no gods, there never were, and there never will be).

Not all atheists would call themselves humanists, but I bet a lot of them would identify as humanists. Personally, I think the atheist label works very well in gaining attention for discussions (in real life). I'm getting used to it myself, but I bet it sounds like Satanist to many people who do not know what atheism really is.

To me, we use these labels to represent something about who we are. But so many of us are more nuanced than any single label, or set of labels can accurately describe. Like many things about humans, the distinctions blur into each other in so many different ways.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +238/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 11:41:32 AM »
I have heard the term humanist demonized as much as the term atheist by some factions of christians.  I don't think they are interchangeable, though.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +444/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 12:48:11 PM »
I have heard the term humanist demonized as much as the term atheist by some factions of christians.  I don't think they are interchangeable, though.

Yes, I have seen dubious links from some people between the two, as though they are both equally evil. However, we true atheists know who the real evil one is!....mwu ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 01:35:34 PM »

Yes, I have seen dubious links from some people between the two, as though they are both equally evil. However, we true atheists know who the real evil one is!....mwu ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Why do you always have to bring me into this?

Wait, what?

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +357/-117
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 02:06:44 PM »

Atheism is about beliefs, humanism is about ethics. They are not interchangeable because they describe different things.

You said atheism was not a belief.  Do you take that back now?

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1134/-27
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 03:15:35 PM »
Atheism just has to do with whether one believes that gods exist or not.  So I don't think the question of whether one is a humanist has anything to do with them being an atheist or not, nor should it.
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline lectricpharaoh

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
  • Reality is better than Jesus
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »

Atheism is about beliefs, though it isn't, itself, a belief.  Think of it as saying 'whether or not one is an atheist depends on the state of their belief in gods', which is true- you cannot be an atheist if you hold the belief that gods, or a god, exists.  Many atheists also lack belief that other supernatural claims are true, hold a positive belief that gods do not exist, favor empiricism and the scientific method as the best truth-seeking tools we have at our disposal, and/or are humanists, but none of these things are part of the definition of 'atheist'.
The Bible is one of the select few books that is wholly deserving of being burned.
  - Me

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +357/-117
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 03:48:59 PM »
^^that question was for Jag^^  I can link back to the thread.  OCG and I both said okay atheism is not a belief.  Jag said thanks we said you're welcome.

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +357/-117
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 03:51:38 PM »

Why do you always have to bring me into this?

Wait, what?

-Nam

You got yourself here idiot.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +624/-67
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 03:53:02 PM »
What all atheists are: atheists.
What all atheists aren't: literally everything else.

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1865/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 06:07:43 PM »
I am an atheist. I am also what some would describe as a humanist, partly because if there are no gods, then we are on our own. If we don't take care of each other and try to make the world better, nobody will. There are no supernatural beings to swoop in and fix anything for us. That view would also match with a deist god who does nothing for people, so it is not part of being an atheist.

Besides, there are other atheists who see the world as "everyone look out for number one", like some libertarians of the Ayn Rand variety. And there are atheists who have no particular opinion on how to behave. Just like there are religious folks who are all over the "how much to help others" spectrum.

Atheists don't believe in gods. What they do with that lack of belief, if anything, varies.
When all of Cinderella's finery changed back at midnight, why didn't the shoes disappear? What's up with that?

Online Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +553/-11
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 06:20:35 PM »

No, I don't.

What does my post say? It says: Atheism is about beliefs...

Does that post say atheism is a belief? No, that's not what it says. It says that "atheism is about belief" and I stand by that statement. Atheism is a position on the belief in gods, specifically saying that an atheist does not have that particular belief. 

^^that question was for Jag^^  I can link back to the thread.  OCG and I both said okay atheism is not a belief.  Jag said thanks we said you're welcome.

Go ahead and link back to that thread. I don't care enough to bother digging it out, but I recall that conversation being about choice, so if I said that atheism is not a belief, I would have to see it in context to address your ... request.
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +475/-40
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 06:45:20 PM »
Drought is about water.

It is specifically about the absence of water, but the topic is still water.
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Online Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +553/-11
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 07:03:30 PM »
^^^ I find it unlikely, but not impossible, that I tried to disconnect atheism from belief. I recall the thread jb refers to, but my recollection is of discussing belief not being a choice. If I said what jb claims, I'd have to see it in context to consider if I would "take that back now".

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +357/-117
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 09:12:33 PM »
It doesn't matter that much to me either. 

What matters is if atheist aren't humanist, using logic and reason to solve problems, what do they use?  Not a loaded question, promise.

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +357/-117
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 09:16:44 PM »
Drought is about water.

It is specifically about the absence of water, but the topic is still water.

Is the topic about how to get some water?

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +475/-40
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 09:30:53 PM »
I don't know.  Either way, "drought" refers to the absence of water, and thus is about the subject of water.  Just like "atheism" refers to the absence of a particular kind of belief, and thus is about beliefs.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +120/-1
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 11:22:02 PM »
You got yourself here idiot.

Look up "self deprecating humor" and "touchy".

Edit: Undid previous edit. I like it better the way it was.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:33:58 PM by Willie »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 11:24:33 PM »
Really junebug? Oh, man. I love how you don't get someone being facetious. And you smited me for it! Classic. What an idiot.

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +357/-117
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 06:33:12 AM »
I don't know.  Either way, "drought" refers to the absence of water, and thus is about the subject of water.  Just like "atheism" refers to the absence of a particular kind of belief, and thus is about beliefs.

Water gives life.  Believers think God gives water.  They would pray to end the drought.  What would an atheist do?  Find a scientific way to fix the problem.  Humanism? 

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +357/-117
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 06:37:56 AM »
Really junebug? Oh, man. I love how you don't get someone being facetious. And you smited me for it! Classic. What an idiot.

-Nam

Whine much?   Just giving you some attention.

I won my first spelling bee in the 4th grade with the word facetious.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:55:24 AM by junebug72 »

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +624/-67
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 06:42:19 AM »

Water gives life.  Believers think God gives water.  They would pray to end the drought.  What would an atheist do?  Find a scientific way to fix the problem.  Humanism? 

Will you ever address what's said to you? Maybe admit when you're wrong every now and then?
Go back and re-read the conversation that led up to that point. If you'd like, copy/paste it, read it in full, and see why your post is irrelevant in this context.

I now await your smite and/or whining about how I'm evil or whatever.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:54:10 AM by One Above All »

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +357/-117
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 07:02:37 AM »
Will you ever address what's said to you? Maybe admit when you're wrong every now and then?
Go back and re-read the conversation that led up to that point. If you'd like, copy/paste it, read it in full, and see why your post is irrelevant in this context.

I now await your smite and/or whining about how I'm evil or whatever.

What the fuck are you talking about?  I understand what Azdgari  is saying.  I asked HIM a question.  I'm trying to understand how it is that every atheist is not a humanist.

You're not Nam.  He's the only one that needs special attention.

I am occasionally wrong.  Feel better?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 07:06:19 AM by junebug72 »