Author Topic: Another GOP presidential candidate  (Read 4757 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
Re: Another GOP presidential candidate
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2015, 10:56:19 PM »
Sin is what makes people interesting.  Otherwise they are boring as hell.

I'd gladly take being boring with a spot in the Heaven over being the life of the party while on a one-way ride to Hell.

So...you're going to hell?

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +476/-40
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2015, 11:10:14 PM »
Skeptic, how many humans do you think are without sin?
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +411/-9
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2015, 12:38:49 PM »
I am without sin.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Religions are the dingle berries on the butt hairs of civilization.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2015, 03:13:34 PM »
I am without sin.

Did you break up? Was it not putting out?

-Nam

Online jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1088/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2015, 04:28:47 PM »
I'd gladly take being boring with a spot in the Heaven over being the life of the party while on a one-way ride to Hell.

I take it, then, that you'd agree with this sentiment:
I'd gladly take losing my free will with a spot in Heaven over retaining my free will while on a one-way ride to Hell.

If you do not agree with that sentiment, I'd like to hear why not.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1865/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »
I am without sin.

I am also sin-less, as are all nonreligious atheists.

That does not mean I can never make a mistake, do something bad, say something stupid or break any laws. But all of my mistakes, stupid remarks, bad behaviors or lawbreaking activities are human-defined problems that cease to have meaning to me once I die.

I could not commit any cosmically defined "sins" (like not believing in gods, being gay or blaspheming) during my finite lifetime. I certainly don't think any humans could "sin" against the supposed wishes of a supernatural cosmic invisible being outside of space and time, who will then punish us eternally in some horrible way. (That sounded almost too stupid to even type.) If such a being does exist and wants me to follow certain rules, he only needs to show up and tell me. Until he does, I will stick to trying to follow human-made rules that make some sense. And therefore, I am without sin. ;)

Likewise, I am karma-less, dharma-less and caste-less. As are all the non-Hindu Christian theists going around telling me that I am full of sin and on my way to hell. Until the magic elephant head god Ganesha shows up to tell us all what we need to do to fix our karma in order to reach nirvana, we need not be bothered.

Do you, skeptic, worry about how the Hindu gods will judge your refusal to follow the dietary laws and purification rituals? Do you worry about not getting rid of the bad engrams or whatever they think causes harm in Scientology? No?  Same thing with your religion, and every other religion that I don't follow or even know about--I don't worry about breaking your god's rules.  :D

Doesn't it seem like some trickster Loki-like alien appears on earth from time to time, doing "miracles" and acting all godly to some small group somewhere, disappears and then sits back and watches the show? That seems far more likely than any good loving caring god, if you look at all the mess that religions have caused. &)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:35:01 PM by nogodsforme »
When all of Cinderella's finery changed back at midnight, why didn't the shoes disappear? What's up with that?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2015, 06:43:49 PM »
I was reading some of the 4500 topics on this and I came across this:

http://time.com/3764556/wilco-indiana-religious-freedom-law/

I didn't know Wilco was still around? I last listened to them when I was 20 years old.

;)

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2015, 03:49:22 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/03/31/fix-this-now-says-indy-star-saying-religious-freedom-law-has-done-enormous-harm/

The problem with this is: no way in hell would Pence sign such a thing into law. I mean, he couldn't even answer a simple "yes or no" question by George Stephanopolos (sp?) Which was asked six times. No way it would happen. But it doesn't even address the other issue of discrimination against others. The whole point of it is obviously pointed at the LGBT community but it's so broad it could apply to anyone.

I love how they keep saying that Congress passed the same law and was signed by Clinton in the early 1990s, which is true (never enforced) and then a few years later it was struck down (though conservative SCOTUS judges used it to come to their decision on Hobby Lobby -- how constitutional of them).

Personally, I don't think they'll fix it, and even if they do Pence most likely won't sign it because he wants the ultraconservative votes when he runs for president. Why would he jeopardize that; it was probably one of the main reasons (except just being a bigot) he signed it in the first place.

On a side note: my father is originally from Indiana. Does that make me a half Hoosier?

;)

-Nam

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +476/-40
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2015, 03:56:28 AM »
On a side note: my father is originally from Indiana. Does that make me a half Hoosier?

Not sure.  But he is definitely Hoosier than you are.  Who is the Hoosiest?
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +411/-9
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2015, 01:19:06 PM »
I don't think he will "really" fix it either.  And watch Arkansas and other states will soon follow.  There is a reason many states have super majority GOP now.  They are drunk with power and are going for the kill.  This is their only hope to turn the country conservative before their base starts to die off in large #s.

The costs means nothing to them.  The end game does.  All these bills are ALEX based.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Religions are the dingle berries on the butt hairs of civilization.

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1138/-27
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2015, 03:27:47 PM »
One of the reasons that Indiana's law is problematic is because, unlike other states which passed one, its language explicitly allows it to apply in disputes between individuals or groups, rather than just between an individual/group and the state government.

In other words, this is not the same law that other states passed.
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1865/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2015, 04:39:23 PM »

Not sure.  But he is definitely Hoosier than you are.  Who is the Hoosiest?

The Hoos down in Hooville.  :D
When all of Cinderella's finery changed back at midnight, why didn't the shoes disappear? What's up with that?