Author Topic: telemers and anti-oxidants??? Any relation? Is cosmetics industry snowjobbing us  (Read 1676 times)

Offline rickymooston

Anybody have some expertise here?
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Omega

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-5
I studied that area quite much, so here are results.

telomers are not the core of aging problems after all. they do some influence on you health and basically longer telemeres reduce posibility of cell damage, but even very old people still have quite long telomeres to live for another 100 years.
also cells have mechanism to restore telomere length in case they need to split and heal some wound

anti-oxidants do some good work, but they are also not essential.
most of aging problems arise from mitochondrial damage. when human ages mitochondria DNA gets damaged and this results defective mitochondrials who produce lots of free radicals and other poison.
antioxidants may help to slow down this process but cant reverse it.

BTW it looks quite funny that one of the bets antioxidants which cost about 50$ for a 50g box of cream can be bought in pure form form china for about 200$ /20kg drum  which is used as growth hormone for plants in agriculture
so if you vant you can take antioxidant bath each day for that price :)

so pharmacists are cleating badly.

Offline Idioteque

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Antioxidant cosmetics are definitely way overpriced as the previous post reveals. For the antioxidant nutritional supplements, you can easily obtain the same antioxidants from your diet, and not even a stringent one. These pills are mostly a sham, unless you really aren't or can't get those nutrients from what you eat.

Also, blocking the sun's rays and radiation are not going to stop aging. The number one contributor of oxidation in the body, and hence the production of damaging free radicals is, well.. oxygen. It would seem as though the very substance we can't live 5 minutes without is the same one that's killing us from the inside out. Just another striking example of God's awesome design.  :-\
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there

Offline Omega

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-5
Antioxidant cosmetics are definitely way overpriced as the previous post reveals. For the antioxidant nutritional supplements, you can easily obtain the same antioxidants from your diet, and not even a stringent one. These pills are mostly a sham, unless you really aren't or can't get those nutrients from what you eat.

Also, blocking the sun's rays and radiation are not going to stop aging. The number one contributor of oxidation in the body, and hence the production of damaging free radicals is, well.. oxygen. It would seem as though the very substance we can't live 5 minutes without is the same one that's killing us from the inside out. Just another striking example of God's awesome design.  :-\
diet wont help much since you need constant  supply of these chemicals occasional usage is useless. If food is not fresh then all antioxidants will oxidize and disappear. and unfortunately it is impossible to eat good food today. its to expensive or too hard to make

Offline rickymooston

Awesome entries in this thread. Thanks for the info.

Bit discouraging perhaps?
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Omega

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-5
Awesome entries in this thread. Thanks for the info.

Bit discouraging perhaps?

I believe scientists will find some better ways to deal with these problems than futile attempts to increase your life span in few % using ideal food exercise and living boring life.
As i know there is one 'calorie restriction method" which is capable to increase lifespan about 70-100% but you must live in special starvation starvation for entire life. no human ever did that but it works on mice and all other animals.

actually there is quite good progress, to restore youth and it almost works however there is big problem, aging caused by anti cancer protection mechanisms. once you defeat aging, you almost definitely get cancer. even if you partially but permanently disable some aging mechanisms you increase cancer risk.
so that will be possible quite soon, but it will cost a lot.

most promising short term solution seems to be stem cell therapy same one which is highly opposed by church, It can do much better job that any diet or lifestyle. probably church is in panic if people will stop aging.

Next will be human genome reconstruction so that we could become nearly completely immortal and get rid of all diseases, but that wont happen soon.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
I'm not cheer leading for this one, though he has some interesting ideas;

TED: Aubrey de Grey: Why we age and how we can avoid it
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/aubrey_de_grey_says_we_can_avoid_aging.html
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Omega

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-5
Forgot to mentions some about telomere restoration.

No cosmetic poduct can do that. Telomeres can only be restored by enzymes, because there is no "small molecule" which can activate natural restoration mechanism.
So if any cosmetics seller claims that, he is possibly total crook.