Author Topic: hi there [#769]  (Read 248 times)

Offline DL

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
hi there [#769]
« on: December 03, 2008, 09:12:25 PM »
I'd just like to say a few things about your movie about god.  First of all, the questions presented are okay, just okay, assuming the goal to this whole project is to STOP people from believing in a god, a goal I feel needs to be taken on with more force than ever has been in the past.   Usually christians are willing "obviously" to come up with these irrational reasons as to why miricals in the bibles took place.  This is why I say your questions are just okay.  They're easily dismissed by these people.

My suggestion is about the real kicker in your presentation, about the delusinal thoughts christianity breeds. The simple statement about these beliefs being delusinal doesn't change thought patterns at all because in general I don't think christians understand what delusinal means firstly, and most importantly don't connect how in the REAL WORLD TODAY these delusions effect their lives.  I think you're on the right track and have a VERRY VERRY VERRY legitimate reason to be fighting the belief of a god.  It doesn't help us evolve as a species and gives relatively average people the ability to "FEEL" "RIGHT" in virtually all social situations when opinions are being shared.  This is obviously extremely dangerous.  What I think you should do is to find situations that all people come across and explain what a christians decision will be as compared to what rational progressive not religous beings will decide.

Here's an exampleMy friend is a christian.  He believes the world is coming to an end "the rapture" and in turn doesn't feel he needs to recycle, live healthy or not litter.    Rational people don't believe the world will ever just end and feel they need to preserve the earth.  Simple

There are all kinds of examples like this and I think those especially need to be rubbed in christians faces.

Thanks for reading.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: hi there [#769]
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 09:44:25 PM »
Come to the forums ... the companion site http://godisimaginary.com is being updated with some more entries.  If you have suggestions on what to add, let folks know!

Blog entry announcing the updates: http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/blog/?p=287
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline GotMooo

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: hi there [#769]
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 02:09:15 AM »
It doesn't help us evolve as a species and gives relatively average people the ability to "FEEL" "RIGHT" in virtually all social situations when opinions are being shared.  This is obviously extremely dangerous.

Especially when the religion/sect/denomination has it's own kind of hat.   :D