Author Topic: Interesting things from the Bible [#747]  (Read 920 times)

Offline DL

Interesting things from the Bible [#747]
« on: November 29, 2008, 02:32:49 PM »
I watched your video and you raise some interesting questions. On the other hand the Bible contains some interesting information. It says that some inhabitants of our planet came in contact with this amazing being that we call God. We might not believe that , but some of their descendants were able to provide information about our planet without being able to travel to space and get an overall view of it.  Job says that God suspended the Earth on nothing.  The most interesting thing is the fact that in the book of Daniel we find a description of the empires that we had on this planet, thousands of years before they came into existence. In one case the one of the kings name was mentioned, and the things he was going to do. You can check out the details.  I really would like to get your response to these issues.  I think we are throwing out the water and the baby by turning our back on religion, and we don't have anything else to offer to the millions of people that are born in poverty and see their children die of starvation. The injustice of what we call life on this planet is just too much. The Bible promises a new beginning. That makes sense to all that did not have the best, or in most cases nothing in this life. Please let me know what you think.  [name]

Offline bgb

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • That felt great.
    • BGBART SHIRTS AND GIFTS
Re: Interesting things from the Bible [#747]
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 02:36:57 PM »
Lots of what was written in Daniel occured before it was written.  Not much of a prediction.
The whole point of science is that most of it is uncertain. That's why science is exciting--because we don't know. Science is all about things we don't understand. The public, of course, imagines science is just a set of facts. But it's not.  Freeman Dyson

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 04:15:30 PM »
The Koran is full of predictions, too.  So, now what?
"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User

Offline GotMooo

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 12:01:43 AM »
There are other ways to help others than believing in fairy-tales.

Offline Idioteque

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 12:34:41 AM »
If all you can offer poor people is a bunch of false hopes and wasted time then you shouldn't be helping in the first place. Unless you can prove it's legitimate, then it's immoral to put into people's heads. That's like telling them if they just sit there long enough and hope for food it will eventually appear magically. It's more harmful than good.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there

Offline Onesimus

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • Endlessly striving to be a happy cartoon bear.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 01:16:33 AM »
I think we are throwing out the water and the baby by turning our back on religion, and we don't have anything else to offer to the millions of people that are born in poverty and see their children die of starvation. The injustice of what we call life on this planet is just too much. The Bible promises a new beginning. That makes sense to all that did not have the best, or in most cases nothing in this life. Please let me know what you think.  [name]

Ah, yes, the question of theodicy.  Bart Ehrman wrote a fascinating book on the subject, God's Problem.  Unfortunately, he's not here to explain it himself.  Darn our luck.

The Bible may promise a new beginning, but it's an empty promise and the world doesn't need it.  If the suffering of fellow humans troubles you (as it probably should), then you should do something about it.  And by doing something, I don't mean "pray", either.  I think it's about time to start a thread on non-theistic charities just in time for the holiday season.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 12:08:52 PM »
We might not believe that , but some of their descendants were able to provide information about our planet without being able to travel to space and get an overall view of it.  Job says that God suspended the Earth on nothing.

Not only are the descriptions of the physical world in the Bible exactly what one would expect from people who had zero special insight, they are often blatantly wrong.  For instance, the Bible refers to the Earth as a circle, when in fact, the Earth is a sphere.  So you see?  It's both not insightful AND wrong.  This happens again and again.

Offline Idioteque

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 01:32:58 PM »
Job says that God suspended the Earth on nothing.  The most interesting thing is the fact that in the book of Daniel we find a description of the empires that we had on this planet, thousands of years before they came into existence.

It's strange that they failed to note that the Earth is rotating on axis, circling the sun, has a moon that rotates around it, and is moving along laterally with the expanding universe as well as with a changing galaxy. Someone guessed that there are no turtles beneath the Earth. Whoopee.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there

Offline singlecrochet

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 07:42:24 PM »
Iand we don't have anything else to offer to the millions of people that are born in poverty and see their children die of starvation. The injustice of what we call life on this planet is just too much. The Bible promises a new beginning. That makes sense to all that did not have the best, or in most cases nothing in this life. Please let me know what you think. 

It (religion) also does a swell job of quieting the disgruntled masses who are being unfairly treated so that the 'haves' can keep on 'having it all' and the 'have nots' don't get in their way.

Thank you for pointing that out.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."
Thomas Paine

"P.S. I pray God sees to it that you get presents this year." - Deelvrd

Offline Sniomhaiche

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Carfree 4 years & counting
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 08:27:21 PM »

The Bible promises a new beginning. That makes sense to all that did not have the best, or in most cases nothing in this life.

Is anyone surprised that those who have little or nothing are the ones targeted by this type of scam? 
Nothing to lose! Complementary Title! Salvation guaranteed or your money back! Kingdom of Heaven is yours! Streets paved in gold, great neighborhoods, circular driveways and more!

Injustice is someone putting on a smile and offering imaginary help from an invisible person (who may or may not grant your wishes)for not so imaginary money.  Bah humbug.
What schools need is a moment of Science.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 08:29:56 PM »
Car salesmen ... with 100% tax-free margins and no deliverables.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer