Author Topic: ISIS  (Read 1768 times)

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
ISIS
« on: August 20, 2014, 04:35:06 PM »
       While we argue whether or not evolution or god or racism exits, ISIS has beheaded an American journalist.  Of course people blame President Obama for pulling out of Iraq. But I believe we are missing the bigger picture of where this part of the world could be headed.   Lebanon, the Saudis, Yemen - "fairly" quiet.  Syria is becoming a basket case, Iran is not changing, Egypt is fighting through problems, Turkey quiet, right there is Libya and Sudan, to the north Ukraine.  And of course Israel sits in the middle.

No matter what the US, or Britain, Germany - the west - do, the people in these surrounding countries, the governments, are right there beside this caliphate - extreme Islam, sort of a Nazi like view, that some may begin to look up to.  Scary time right now how many may either be with, or too afraid of, ISIS -  not doing anything to stop a well armed angry movement convinced they know what is correct, and looking to and at a weary US.   This extreme Islam is a long, long, term problem for the world.  For example, if I was a Somalia citizen, I would be ready for any group to come in and restore an order.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/08/25/the-common-enemy

I hope this article on multilateralism is correct.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:45:31 PM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +115/-2
  • You know
Re: ISIS
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 12:31:46 PM »
This extreme Islam is a long, long, term problem for the world.  For example, if I was a Somalia citizen, I would be ready for any group to come in and restore an order.

I think this is an important point.

One of the things that freaks me out about the Islamic State is that they apparently take governing seriously[1].  They care about making sure that sewage is treated properly, that its people have access to electricity and clean water, etc.  Also, with all the (much deserved) attention placed on their sometimes brutal application of shariah law, it's important to note that they take the good bits seriously as well.  In this documentary from VICE[2] you can see that the same officers that make sure people aren't smoking in public and that women are dressed modestly are also tasked with making sure that vendors are treating their customers fairly.   In Raqqa, some people actually prefer them to the Assad regime when it comes to tax collection.  For example, the NYT quotes a local goldsmith as saying “I feel like I am dealing with a respected state, not thugs,”[3].  In other words, some of the things they're doing will encourage buy-in from the people living in the areas they control, which means they're probably not going away any time soon.
 1. http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2014/08/18/iraq_isis_terror_obama_us_intelligence_islamic_state
 2. https://news.vice.com/video/the-islamic-state-full-length
 3. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/24/world/middleeast/islamic-state-controls-raqqa-syria.html?_r=0
Nah son...

Offline frank callaway

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-33
  • it's a bird, it's a shark... you're fucked
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 02:03:31 PM »
One of the things that freaks me out about the Islamic State is that they apparently take governing seriously[1].  They care about making sure that sewage is treated properly, that its people have access to electricity and clean water, etc.  Also, with all the (much deserved) attention placed on their sometimes brutal application of shariah law, it's important to note that they take the good bits seriously as well.  In this documentary from VICE[2] you can see that the same officers that make sure people aren't smoking in public and that women are dressed modestly are also tasked with making sure that vendors are treating their customers fairly.   In Raqqa, some people actually prefer them to the Assad regime when it comes to tax collection.  For example, the NYT quotes a local goldsmith as saying “I feel like I am dealing with a respected state, not thugs,”[3].  In other words, some of the things they're doing will encourage buy-in from the people living in the areas they control, which means they're probably not going away any time soon.
 1. http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2014/08/18/iraq_isis_terror_obama_us_intelligence_islamic_state
 3. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/24/world/middleeast/islamic-state-controls-raqqa-syria.html?_r=0

"If the current rate of migration of Muslims to Europe and the Muslim fertility rate remains constant, by 2030, people of Muslim faith or origin are predicted to form about 10% of the French population and 8% of the European population."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_the_European_Union_by_Muslim_population

should make for some interesting elections...
When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.

-Jonathan Swift

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 02:06:01 PM »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 02:44:37 PM »
Something you can be sure of is during the leadup to war, any war the opposition is going to be demonized in the press and of course they're always the worse possible thugs imaginable with utterly zero redeeming qualities. I tend to take these claims with a grain of salt.
I'm in no way defending ISIS, but I'm always skeptical of the claims made by governments and the press when the campaign of demonization begins.
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 05:45:18 PM »
They are now called ISIL. I think they were going for ESEL but misspelled it.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 06:43:58 PM »
Can you imagine what just one of those bastards would do to you if they captured you?

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 06:52:35 PM »
Can you imagine what just one of those bastards would do to you if they captured you?

We don't have to. It was on YouTube.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 07:04:46 PM »

Cut off my head, fuck it, and then place it on a stake?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 07:15:08 PM »
We don't have to. It was on YouTube.

So I've heard but I can't bring myself to watch it.

Cut off my head, fuck it, and then place it on a stake?

Yea that's what they would probably do to you LOL.

So would anyone on this forum actually sit there and wait to be beheaded or wouldn't you run away and let them shoot you? I don't understand why anyone would just sit there waiting to die.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 08:19:48 PM »
So would anyone on this forum actually sit there and wait to be beheaded or wouldn't you run away and let them shoot you? I don't understand why anyone would just sit there waiting to die.

I can easily imagine why. We don't know enough about these particular circumstances (and like you, I'm not going to watch that video to get a better idea), but what if the person is restrained? Beaten nearly to death? Lied to and told they're going to be released if they just cooperate? Or simply at the end of their rope and despairing, wanting the terror and pain to be over, even in death?

Everyone has a breaking point.

A despicable, sad, dangerous bunch of people, ISIS. Only a concerted, prolonged effort (political, economic, military) will take away their ability to inflict harm.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 09:02:36 PM »
From my understanding they are tortured quite frequently, only spoken to in Arabic (after awhile), read the Quran constantly, make them so weak that they just have given up. Also, they did a documentary years ago about how those who are decapitated on video are usually already dead but made to appear as if they are alive.

-Nam

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +115/-2
  • You know
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 09:51:12 PM »
"If the current rate of migration of Muslims to Europe and the Muslim fertility rate remains constant, by 2030, people of Muslim faith or origin are predicted to form about 10% of the French population and 8% of the European population."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_the_European_Union_by_Muslim_population

I don't understand why you responded to my post with this.  But I agree!  It ought to be interesting.

<snip>

Stockholm syndrome much?

I don't think so.  The folks in Raqqa were previously dealing with an awful authoritarian regime.  It doesn't seem all that strange to me that, for some people, in some respects, a new theocratic regime might be preferable.  In this case, the quote came from a male, presumably Sunni Muslim, merchant who has in the past had to deal with extortion perpetrated by the Assad government.  If you're a female or a member of a religious minority, your view would obviously be different.  In fact, this conflict has made hundreds of thousands of people into refugees. 

They are now called ISIL. I think they were going for ESEL but misspelled it.

-Nam

Nah, they're just going by the Islamic State now.  We first got to know them as Al Qaeda in Iraq.  They later became ISI, or the Islamic State of Iraq.  Eventually that became the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria or Iraq and al Sham.  Al Sham refers to Greater Syria, which is refereed to as the Levant--as in Levantine Arabic.  Hence ISIL.
Nah son...

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 08:36:55 AM »
Probably ask you to convert to fundamentalist Islam - which I would happily do. I don't believe in being a martyr.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 11:02:40 AM »
Quote from: Timo
Nah, they're just going by the Islamic State now.  We first got to know them as Al Qaeda in Iraq.  They later became ISI, or the Islamic State of Iraq.  Eventually that became the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria or Iraq and al Sham.  Al Sham refers to Greater Syria, which is refereed to as the Levant--as in Levantine Arabic.  Hence ISIL.

Dude, learn humor. Esel is German for "ass". As in, they're just a whole bunch of asses.

-Nam

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +707/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 11:24:22 AM »
       While we argue whether or not evolution or god or racism exits, ISIS has beheaded an American journalist.  Of course people blame President Obama for pulling out of Iraq. But I believe we are missing the bigger picture of where this part of the world could be headed. 

From the American Conservative: ISIS is Bush’s fault, mostly.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/how-washington-enabled-isis/
The key decisions that enabled al-Qaeda to survive, and later to expand, were made in the hours immediately after 9/11. Almost every significant element in the project to crash planes into the Twin Towers and other iconic American buildings led back to Saudi Arabia…Yet President George W. Bush apparently never even considered holding the Saudis responsible for what happened.

If you want to clean up islamic extremists, you need to deal with the Saudis who have been propagating the ideology and financing it.  You also need to deal with Pakistan's ISI, who consider the taliban to be a key weapon for them against India and to maintian influence over Afghanistan. 

Iran could be a real ally, but we keep throwing that opportunity away.

Iran is not changing,

I'm not sure Iran needs to change a whole lot.  They may be holding a grudge a bit long, but I think given their history, their position is fairly rational.  I think a lot of our problem with Iran is our own perceptions.

Some facts on Iran
http://www.juancole.com/2014/08/pass-iran-quiz.html

Also, since you mentioned Israel, some thoughts on that country:

Israel is becoming even more horrible.
http://www.juancole.com/2014/08/israel-muslim-wedding.html

91 year old Dutch lawyer who save a jewish boy in WW2 gives Righteous Among Nations award back to israel over gaza bombing.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/charlemagne/2014/08/europe-and-israel
His letter to israel’s ambassador is quite eloquent and evidence that he is indeed a righteous man.

A lot of the extreme islamic sentiment could be quelled if someone (the US) would influence (force) israel to deal with the palestinians in a fair way.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +115/-2
  • You know
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 11:34:24 AM »

Dude, learn humor. Esel is German for "ass". As in, they're just a whole bunch of asses.

-Nam

Learn humor? Bro, you're trying to land a joke on an English speaking forum that relies on an understanding of German. And it's my fault that I don't get it? Fuck off.
Nah son...

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 12:20:22 PM »

-Nam

Learn humor? Bro, you're trying to land a joke on an English speaking forum that relies on an understanding of German. And it's my fault that I don't get it? Fuck off.

Have a brain and look shit up. Have you ever heard of ESEL? Has anyone? No, so you look it up and find out it's German for ass.

Put a little work into it.

-Nam

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »
From the American Conservative: ISIS is Bush’s fault, mostly.........     

Screwtape,
   I agree with your post. I'm glad that in the American Conservative, GWB is rightly accused of starting the mismanagement of the current situation.  But as you say in the Ferguson Missouri thread - reality  - it demands that we move on (vote or stfu). The AC piece mentions our (US) hypocrisy about Bashar al-Assad.    I just heard the same on a debate about Syria this morning.  Enemy of my enemy kind of thing.  And I noticed Zbigniew Brzezinski mentioned in the juancole piece about Iran.  From what  I've seen on NPR a few times,  I really respect his ablilty to cut through the BS with logical advice.  Advisor to Carter, Bush I, I believe - wonder why he wasn't asked for advice by Reagan.

I've also heard how al-Qaeda condemns the ISIS violence as bad, reminding me of what it must have been like to be on or above the ninety second floor of the world trade center that day.

Which leads back to the Saudis - they are perhaps the best at talking out of both sides of their mouths, having just sent a five-hundred-million-dollar check to the United Nations humanitarian appeal.  Maybe as we wean ourselves from their oil, our cozy relationship may change.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:27:31 PM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +707/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 01:04:23 PM »
But as you say in the Ferguson Missouri thread - reality  - it demands that we move on (vote or stfu).

I agree.  My intent was not to refute anything you said, exactly.  I just interjected some facts (hopefully, they are facts) but did not expand on them.  We need a better more fact based policy in the middle east.  So much of it is based on tradition, grudges and misconceptions (Iran, Israel, Cuba, and even Russia to a large degree). 

Overall for our foreign policy, I think we also need a more clear understanding of what is in our national best interest and differentiate that from what is in the best interest of other nations and US corportaions.  Right now, I do not feel that is the case.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +115/-2
  • You know
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 03:48:55 PM »
I change my mind, Nam. You're right. I'm wrong. No one has come to me confused about the various acronym's the Islamic State has used over the past few weeks. I obviously should have recognized this as a joke. I obviously should have goggled esel with the phrase "German translation". You're right. I'm wrong. I've just now learned humor. You're so fucking funny, my dude. Have you thought about writing professionally?
Nah son...

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 05:44:16 PM »
I change my mind, Nam. You're right. I'm wrong.

I look shit up all the time I do not know. I sometimes even state it in topic. There's no shame in looking things up.

No one has come to me confused about the various acronym's the Islamic State has used over the past few weeks.

Probably because some of them looked it up.

I obviously should have recognized this as a joke.

You should have or, at the very least looked up or asked what "ESEL" meant.

I obviously should have goggled esel with the phrase "German translation"

You wouldn't have to. I did it for you: putting in "esel" gives  Wiktionary link at the top explaining its meaning.

You're right. I'm wrong.

Though I know you're being sarcastic, in this case: you are wrong.

I've just now learned humor. You're so fucking funny, my dude. Have you thought about writing professionally?

And this makes you an esel.

-Nam

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +115/-2
  • You know
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 05:57:42 PM »
I'm an esel?! Hahahahahahah! Yet another hilarious post!  How are you so funny?!
Nah son...

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +115/-2
  • You know
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 07:00:01 PM »
Nah, fuck insulting dude.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 07:03:20 PM by Timo »
Nah son...

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 12:58:37 PM »
Go Germany.

Chancellor Angela Merkel defended her government's decision on Monday, calling ISIS a major security threat to Germany and Europe as a whole.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/iraq-turmoil/post-war-shift-germany-sending-weapons-anti-isis-fighters-n193211

Go Britain.  Must be bad chatter on the airwaves.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/iraq-turmoil/britain-gives-police-power-strip-suspected-terrorists-passports-n193236

The announcement came days after Britain raised its terror threat level from "substantial" to "severe," and follows the death of American journalist James Foley at the hands of an ISIS fighter who appeared to have a British accent. Cameron said British intelligence believes 500 people have traveled from Britain to fight with extremists groups in Syria and Iraq.

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 05:18:30 PM »
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/08/return-war

At the end of the eighth century, Harun al-Rashid, a caliph of the Abbasid dynasty, built a palace in Raqqa, on the Euphrates River, in what is now Syria. His empire stretched from modern Tunisia to Pakistan. It was an age of Islamic discovery in science, music, and art; Rashid’s court of viziers inspired stories in “One Thousand and One Nights.”

In June, the Islamic State in Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS) declared Raqqa the seat of a new caliphate, presided over by Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, a fierce preacher who was once an American prisoner in Iraq, and is now in hiding. The city has lost its splendor. Public executions are “a common spectacle” on Fridays in El Naim Square or at the Al Sa’a roundabout, a United Nations human-rights commission reported last month. ISIS fighters mount the dead on crucifixes, “as a warning to local residents.”

Amazing.  Even more amazing is the silence throughout the middle eastern countries.

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 06:39:27 PM »
I will comment this article from New Yorker. I think that the author of this text must write article of better quality because it contain some mistakes.
The text start with : The Islamic State in Iraq and al-Sham. I'm OK we must say al-sham and not Syria because ?? ?????? ?????? (ad-dawla al-isl?miyya fi-l-?ir?q wa-š-š?m) can be translate by The Islamic State in Iraq and al-Sham because the Arabic therm ?????? (wa-š-š?m) means litteraly "and al-sham". It doesn't means Syria. It designate a zone of many countries such Syria , Lebanon , Jordan and places some Gaza strip etc...
Syria is ????? (S?riyyah) in Arabic.
Also they changed their name in ?????? ????????? nor "ad-dawla al-isl?miyya" in Arabic with latin characters. This means "The Islamic State".
The writer of this article used the therm "Sharia Law" we can say simply Sharia because the Arabic therm ??????????? (šar??ah) does means law or legislation.

NOTE : The translitteration system used is the norm DIN 31635.

I'm French (I precise that I'm an Indigenous French if you want to know my ethnic group). I can say you that Muslims are between 8%-12% of population in France.
I don't know the exact percentage because French laws forbide to collect data about ethnic groups and religion.
I live in a neighborhood of housing estate in which they are between 20-40% of the population. The neighborhood is safe (how many time yet ?).
It is safe (I don't like the word safe because no places in the world are safe to 100%) for many reasons :
1.This is not an important city.
2.You can access to the downtown between five and ten minutes of walk (for someone who walk at a normal speed).
3.We have public transportations.
4.approximately 60% of people who live there are Europeans (indigeneous French like me are a minority but I don't care).
This thing is important because in the majority of HLM people are maghrebins or blacks and the majority of them
are Muslims (I reknown that there are more apostates that we think but they hide for security reasons).
In France the majority of those who mug people in the street and public transportations like RER lines and the Parisian metro are Muslims.
Many people who dare say the truth are in Prison because the law say that this is racist to say it.
But personaly I think that this is not racist to say that people of a certain religions do more crimes because they don't want integrate the French society.
This is a website of "Ministère de l'Intérieur" (Interior Ministry). These people are the most wanted by French authorities. Unhappily the site is only in French. Tell me what do you constate at the first page then the next pages ? :
http://www.avisderecherches.interieur.gouv.fr/personnes1.asp?T=R

If you want we can speak about this societal topic with PMs.

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 08:21:33 PM »
viocjit

Thanks for the info.  I wish the government site you linked to was in English.  I understand that Europe has a problem with Muslims refusing to melt into society.  It takes a few generations at best, if ever.  I like to think that most people mean well, but are too quiet - the average person needs to stand up against this madness.  This being WWGHA, there is no reason to PM.  This extreme Islam is the number 1 problem in the world currently (IMO).  I suppose here we tend to preach to the choir over and over. The extremists don't show up.  I wonder where a site for extremist Islam is?  We should descend upon it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:23:40 PM by shnozzola »

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 08:48:44 PM »
That's the rub.. With extremists there is no reasoning and that crosses to just about every religion. Try to explain to some fundamentalist Christian that the rest of us don't buy their story and they turn off completely and run straight to the right wingers insisting we're possessed by satan and the courts need to rid the world of us.. But it's not exclusively right wing either. I stayed at a shelter and was excluded from discussion quite often for my views. There was just no reasoning with the dweebs because if they so much as had clean underwear it was a blessing from GAWD! IF the dumbasses stubbed their toe it was either satan or a test of faith..
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!