Author Topic: The Big Picture  (Read 284 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +546/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
The Big Picture
« on: August 15, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Re: The Big Picture
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 04:39:53 PM »
Kinda makes you wonder why a god would create a universe for a few square miles of useless desert
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 04:53:13 PM »
Not to mention this all occurred at a time when people didn’t know that the Earth revolved around the sun, disease and sickness were caused by viruses and bacteria, and earthquakes were caused by shifting plate tectonics.  So for thousands of years before YHWH showing up, humans struggled to get by as hunter gatherers.  YWHW watched as humans began worshiping the Sun and the moon as gods, and eventually polytheistic gods.  Then for some reason, YHWH revealed himself to one particular tribe in the middle east some three or four thousand years ago.  Never mind the ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Indians, Chinese or many other tribes of people throughout the world (African, Polynesian or Native American).  Nope, for some reason, one tribe was picked to hear the message from the supreme being that created all of reality. 

Actually, YHWH didn’t even reveal himself to an entire tribe, nope it was just a handful of people who got to hear the message.  Not everyone was listening to the message so YHWH decided to flood the entire planet and didn’t bother telling anyone else why or that he was the one who caused the flood.  After that, supposedly one of these few people wrote down rules on some stone tablets, we don’t know where those went.  Apparently things didn’t go so well cause then this guy named Jesus shows up to apparently be punished in our place.  I guess we did something wrong to deserve punishment but it’s okay since this Jesus dude has us covered.  It would take around 1,400 years before anyone on the Americas would hear about what this awesome dude Jesus had done.  Later, some guy in a cave would get some new information about Allah which would later be used to manipulate people to willingly crash airplanes into buildings killing innocent people in the process. 

Oh yeah, it all makes perfect sense.

YHWH, Jesus and Allah have no reason whatsoever to not show up when we can better record their message so we can review it repeatedly just to make sure we understood.  Or how about appearing before everyone instead of just a few select people that we could in no way mistake for being completely insane.

No holes in the “God” theory whatsoever. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:58:05 PM by SevenPatch »
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +796/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 05:12:12 PM »
Yep, gods chosen people got to live in a frickin' desert, while 12 Monkeys native American ancestors lived in an incredible and verdant part of the world, a place so lush with life and beauty that it made Eden look like a desert as well.

And no Romans.

Go figure.

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +586/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 05:54:08 PM »
Cue the Monty Python song to make people feel insignificant.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 07:19:50 PM »
You just lack faith that it's all true.. But hey.. God in his infinite wisdom at least knocks out a town or two with tornadoes  every year where most god fearing Christians are to remind us just how evil gay marriage is..
Just have faith..  :angel:
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 11:30:37 PM »
Yep, gods chosen people got to live in a frickin' desert, while 12 Monkeys native American ancestors lived in an incredible and verdant part of the world, a place so lush with life and beauty that it made Eden look like a desert as well.

And no Romans.

Go figure.
you could not be more right. There is an area called Burnaby narrows on southern Haida Gwaii where there is more protein per square meter than anywhere else on the planet. I guess our spirit guides were more powerful or generous....until 1862 where the Christians came around with germ warfare.....their god really likes killing people.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 11:31:57 PM »
Do a google search of Burnaby narrows,our gods loved us,the Christian god loves death

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 04:10:25 PM »
Well, ya know.. You can't get to heaven without dying.. Unless of course you're raptured..  :angel:
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline relativetruth

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 06:20:21 PM »
To be fair Greybeard, you don't KNOW that every single action of YHWH, Jesus and Allah ONLY took place in the Middle East.

Just because the Abrahamic religions don't REPORT about other stars, galaxies, clusters etc. does NOT mean that those entities (Y,J and A) have not done stuff with other alien folks in the universe.

I grant you that it is a tad unlikely but I just wanted to keep the record straight.
God(s) exist and are imaginary

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 05:45:59 AM »
To be fair Greybeard, you don't KNOW that every single action of YHWH, Jesus and Allah ONLY took place in the Middle East.

Just because the Abrahamic religions don't REPORT about other stars, galaxies, clusters etc. does NOT mean that those entities (Y,J and A) have not done stuff with other alien folks in the universe.

I grant you that it is a tad unlikely but I just wanted to keep the record straight.

Good point, which leads me to wonder, if an advanced alien species rocked up one day and said "Oh yeah, this whole Yaweh thing is the real deal", what might happen? Atheists, no longer atheists. Christians, spewing that they're not the universes special snowflakes anymore.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +546/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 06:46:52 AM »
"And let us never, ever doubt,
That which we know naught about."

Not knowing something should not be a basis for assuming something else unless there are solid pointers.

Isn't there a recent post in which Ray Comfort says Aliens are damned as they have not been promised anything by Christ? That seems a reasonable theological argument that requires no assumptions.

The thing is that the worship of YahwehWiki started about 1,200BC, which was a little after the formation of the universe. It then was not until c. 300AD that the next round took place and moved, with any significance, away from the area shown.

The primitive world view[1] then held by Yahwists was allegedly information supplied directly from Yahweh Himself[2] and the question has to be asked, "Why did He Who allegedly made it get it so badly wrong?" To which we can give the answer, "Because men made it up off the top of their head. Gods never know more than people, in fact, they always know less."

An argument that is true of any religion, as they are all unfalsifiable. This gives some perspective, as does the image.
 1. flat Earth, holes in the solid sky where rain comes in, more rain than is physically possible in 40 days, etc.
 2. Although it is rarely made clear where a lot of it came from.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline relativetruth

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 06:35:32 PM »

Good point, which leads me to wonder, if an advanced alien species rocked up one day and said "Oh yeah, this whole Yaweh thing is the real deal", what might happen? Atheists, no longer atheists. Christians, spewing that they're not the universes special snowflakes anymore.

It would not convince me.

Just because an alien society has advanced technoligical skills does NOT mean that they know everything.
Sure they could produce magical tricks which I would have no idea how they did it (that happens with ordinary humans as well).

This just the facility of argument by authority!
God(s) exist and are imaginary

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 07:54:23 PM »

Just because an alien society has advanced technoligical skills does NOT mean that they know everything.
Sure they could produce magical tricks which I would have no idea how they did it (that happens with ordinary humans as well).

Well, if the holy texts matched, that would certainly make one sit up and take notice. The likelihood of matching texts would be pretty much impossible unless there was some sort of cultural contamination one way or the other.
Denis Loubet

Online Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 11:04:24 PM »

Well, if the holy texts matched, that would certainly make one sit up and take notice. The likelihood of matching texts would be pretty much impossible unless there was some sort of cultural contamination one way or the other.
They could have stolen a bible off our satellites before landing. Not so hard to fake similarity for an advanced alien race :)
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 03:21:03 AM »
But why would a group of beings try to feed us a line of bullshit?

Oh, wait. Riiight.
Denis Loubet

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-14
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 10:48:01 AM »

of course being infinitely powerful,   it was no more difficult to create the middle east alone with a bubble of air over it and sea surrounding it  then to creat the observable universe.

it is like questioning a multibillionaires decision to pay 500 thousand dollars for a car that you could have acquired 200,000 if he would only wait a week.

To the multibillionaire it is like an impulse buy at the counter of a pack of gum.

isn't it presumptuous to tell an artist that he could have painted his painting smaller and still conveyed the same message?