Author Topic: Why have you lost faith? (in God)  (Read 676 times)

Offline Lukvance

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +13/-258
  • Catholic
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Why have you lost faith? (in God)
« on: August 15, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »
I know some of you were believers before. I was wondering what "woke you up".
Did you change religion before leaving religion altogether?
Do you still believe in a God but not the one taught by known religions?
Did you lose faith gradually or brutally/rapidly?
You're worth more than my time

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Why have you lost faith? (in God)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 11:47:03 AM »
Gradual loss. Can't recall why exactly, but it had something to do with becoming more knowledgeable. One day, I realized I didn't believe any more. Never converted to another religion, though I was curious about the concept of "Nirvana" (as explained by Buddhism) for a while. However, I quickly concluded that its methods were unnatural, unhealthy, and impossible, if you actually wanted to achieve Nirvana.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 11:53:09 AM »

For me it was a slow erosion until I got to the point where faith in god was just unsustainable

Atheists luk. You're talking to atheists.

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-14
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 11:57:16 AM »

I was never a strong believer mom read me stories, went to sunday school for a few weeks and from probably age 2 to 12 I believed that everyone said there was a god so there probably was one.  But I have gradually gained understanding of the human condition, the human mind, while simultaniously realizing that the being described in the bible was not possible.  (I don't mean impossible because of his ability to do marvels...   I mean impossible as in completely irrationial and an impossible combination of opposing personality traits.)

seeing how the bible was assembled from polytheistic traditions  really ran the point home where I can see how monotheism was formed by early jews tayloring their religion to the times..
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:36:59 PM by epidemic »

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +792/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 11:59:03 AM »
I took me a few years. I didn't stop believing until I was 11, when I was being taught greek and roman mythology in grade school and saw that the stories were exactly the same type of story I was being taught in Sunday school. Adults were telling me that one was a myth, another the truth, and none of them could explain why they were so similar, nor how they could tell the difference. I wised up, quit believing, and have found no reason to seriously reconsider.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 12:13:12 PM »
Never had faith,never had to lose it. My parents did a great job.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 01:05:40 PM »
I'm with 12 monkeys, However I think it is very telling that you used the term "woke up" Are you having doubts. or are you trolling us, and are really an atheist.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 01:13:16 PM »
I never left the natural state of the human mind: lack of belief in gods.

I wasn't subject to strong indoctrination until I was already adult and had my mind made up. So, any conversion trials from people failed for me.

I see religion for what it is: mass control and source of comfort for some people.
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +336/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »

I read the Bible.

You should try it sometime.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-14
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 01:53:53 PM »
Luk. 

Check it out.  you asked a question and a bunch of antheist answered it.   They gave a direct answer quickly and concisely.

Now give it a try here http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,27220.0.html

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +270/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 02:18:21 PM »
I read the Bible.

That's essentially why I never believed in the god of the Bible.  My first impression was of a storybook character, and once I realized the stories were primarily a mechanism to manipulate people I became far more interested in the politics of it all.

I also find it fascinating that 50 years ago, when as a 7-year-old I first cracked the covers of the Bible, its leading character didn't pop in to show itself real.  That window of opportunity slammed shut, and stayed shut.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +586/-20
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 02:25:58 PM »
I don't consider myself an atheist in the sense most people mean.  My feeling is that religious belief simply doesn't matter beyond whether the individual cares about it.  I call this apatheism - basically, apathetic about theism.

Upon thinking about it, I think I've held this attitude for much of my life, although I was very slow to recognize it.  When I was growing up, religious belief never seemed 'real' to me; it had the feel of the fantastic things I would imagine inside my head, rather than something that was real and grounded in the world.  I participated in Methodist rituals (the religion I was brought up in) not because of any kind of earnest belief, but because I could tell they were important to others and felt it was worthwhile to respect that, even if I personally didn't have any interest.

I still feel that way today.  I have no issues with your religious beliefs, Lukvance, or in your desire to share them.  To me, it is the same as if you were trying to share a favored book or, perhaps, enjoyment of a favored food.  What aggravates me is your assumption that, because it is favored to you, that everyone should find it equally favorable; if it weren't for the fact that I've seen exactly this sort of attitude in other people, including myself, about things which have nothing to do with religion, I would have no patience with you at all.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 03:21:51 PM »
   I was raised anabaptist.  A very liberal anabaptist.  A college campus of the Church of the Brethren.  I grew up in tradition of love and service, believing the teaching of Jesus is in not judging but excepting all people exactly where they are,  being most interested in helping people that are not enjoying life.   Most of the things that a christian would claim makes christianity were unnecessary in my upbringing.  I thought myself a christian long after (30-40 years?) I decided the resurrection was unnecessary nonsense. (blasphemy you say? - just shows the gamut of christianity).  After enough education, discovery, and life experience, it just becomes obvious there probably isn't any god, and that religion keeps us judging each other rather than stopping.

I think the more important question (and I twisted the bible's words to mean this to me) is, what could we accomplish if we had faith in each other?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:27:59 PM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 03:42:49 PM »
I was raised more Quaker than anything else. My sister and I went to Sunday school off and on, did some arts and crafts and learned some Bible stories that were never more than that to me. Religion was never much of a factor in our lives.

When I was about 11 I found out what "atheist" meant and decided that's what I was. I just couldn't see any reason to believe in any gods, though I was fascinated by mythology and other fantasy.

Then almost twenty years later, struggling with crippling depression, I became a Christian. The ritual of prayer and new social contacts via my church did help with my mental health, and for 15 years I cherry-picked my own faith.

But the realization that there really wasn't any evidence for a god outside my head renewed itself. I had never been a biblical literalist, and watching others make convoluted rationalizations for how Christian scripture was "inerrant" cemented my new atheism. It was a gradual, not entirely painless process, but in the end I'm happier as an atheist than I ever was as a Christian.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-39
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 09:02:04 PM »
i was raised by strict fundamentalist catholic grandparents, i just assumed my faith. i used to wonder about it watching my grandparents walking around in circles every night chanting and saying the rosary. used to watch every year as my grandmother carry a cross on her back up a steep hill on a gravel/stone track until her bare knee caps were exposed thru her skin, the more pain the better she likes it, grandfather followed whipping himself on his back. it just did not seem right and at some point very young i had a mind shift and it was i like i was just watching people act, i felt so powerful and superior and also i felt i great empathy for my relatives cos they were still locked inside their own mind of delusion. i then faked being a catholic until i was old enough to process what i was going thru and then i got angry at the these fake fuck priests demanding shit of my grandparents and friends and they would obey, i felt i was so much stronger then the priests and they were scared of me (they were), they even used to try exorcism shit on me when i visited a friend in hospital getting a big operation, shit got interesting that day and i gave some push back.

thats sort of it leaving out a lot of details obviously.
Signature goes here...

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +792/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 09:34:04 PM »
I should add to my earlier post that I never had any faith in god, he was just a guy in the sky, as per the adults around me. I wasn't counting on him for anything. I said my nightly prayers upon occasion, mostly asking him to protect my mom and dad and brothers, and since we were all still alive, I must have thought it worked, at least a little bit assumed he was real because adults didn't lie about stuff like that. The meal prayers, which were infrequent, made no sense. What good was blessed food? It was my moms cooking. It still tasted terrible half the time.

I assume the adults who told me about god actually believed the stories. I came to my senses on my own once it became apparent that the story had no merit.

And eh!, holy crap. Glad you survived, kneecaps intact. I cannot imagine why people get that carried away.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 10:02:19 PM »
I always had a natural curiosity, and a desire to learn. I was that kid that would read ahead in class, funny thing is I always got Cs and Ds in school. Not because I didn't get the material, I found it boring and simply didn't feel like doing the work (yeah, not a good idea), mostly my own fault.
TL;DR, I never had faith in your, or any, god. Though not for a lack of trying on my mothers part.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:06:10 PM by Antidote »
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 12:50:45 AM »

I read the Bible.

You should try it sometime.

-Nam

Same for me.  Once you read that, questions arise and the answers flail and fail, then doubt looms, even over a believer.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +544/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 06:19:15 AM »
Between age about 4 and 9, I read a lot of folk tales (in which I include myths and sagas, i.e. stories involving gods) from countries around the world. I first met Christianity when I was sent to Sunday School. I never saw anything other than the Bible stories being the same as folk tales: talking animals, magic spells, etc.

I was surprised when people took them seriously. In fact, I was worried by adults who spoke as if it were all real – fortunately, there were only a few like that who I came into contact with.

Folk tales are based on several ideas:
1.   Local boy makes good. (It happens but with low frequency.)
2.   Being reasonable is better than being unreasonable and will win in the end (This isn’t always true and I think that I knew it – it is escapism.)
3.   Poor people can become rich and/or marry princesses (It happens but with low frequency.)
4.   Magic, luck and coincidence are different ways of saying the same thing. (None of them are to be relied on.)
5.   People want a “get-rich-quick” scheme but these always come with a downside
6.   Be happy with your lot. (This is good advice as long as you have an about average standard of living.)
7.   Brains beat brawn. (This works.)

All of them contained some element of a moral lesson. The stories themselves should not be taken seriously. All are generalities; no one idea fits all circumstances.

In the UK, Christian religious education was taught in schools. The creation and the Flood were obviously folk tales (I had already read “Hindu Myths” and “The Epic of Gilgamesh” and so knew other versions of the same things.)

The thing that shocked me more than anything else, was, around age 10, hearing about transubstantiation: to believe that a biscuit and wine turned into flesh and blood, and to hear that grown adult took part in this and took it seriously and without question, was to find myself in a lunatic and alien world: A world in which stupidity, ignorance and deception was not only accepted as the norm but was the very basis of a life-style. To me, then, it was as if “The Invasion of the Body Snatchers” were real. How could anybody]/b] believe that?

It was at this point that I moved from neutral to opposed as I saw that anyone who believed in gods to the extent that they would ignore common sense would believe anything - and their judgement should not be trusted in certain matters.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +151/-4
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 12:18:25 PM »

Yes, I was born & raised in a very christian family/environment. It wasn't any particular thing or event that woke me up from those false beliefs, but rather just being honest enough to see and admit that none of the beliefs of christianity mapped onto reality in any way, shape or form. None of them.  Over the coarse of a year or two (~25 years ago) I ceased going to church, and that was the best decision I ever made. The sense of community, belonging, and love-bombing can (and, I suggest, does) keep most people within the fog of false beliefs.

No. Over the last ~25 years, I have grown to be more & more rational, skeptical, and reap the rewards of critical thinking.

No. But I would firstly like to hear what you mean by the word "god".

Gradually, as explained above.  When one is indoctrinated from birth with religion, one rarely (if ever) loses their faith in an instant. There is simply too much investment built in to the belief system. It takes time, but requires intellectual honesty and a dogged determination to seek truth, rather than what is preferred, comforting or familiar.

Why do you ask?
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +151/-4
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 12:27:58 PM »
In addition, it just occurred to me that I didn't fully answer your question: "Why have you lost faith (in God)?"

You say that like faith is a good thing.  Somehow, in some twisted way, faith (believing things without evidence) has been viewed as a good thing, but I think we are slowly waking up to the fact that  faith is the absolute worst way of getting to truth.  As W. K. Clifford said:  "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence."

Faith is believing what you know ain't so.  (Mark Twain)

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +151/-4
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 12:46:01 PM »
For your viewing pleasure: (starts at 9:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIaPXtZpzBw

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 04:51:57 PM »
As a little kid I thought it was a fun harmless fiction. Sort of a Santa Claus for adults, and everyone knew it wasn't really true.

But then in my early teens I found myself the only raised head in a sea of bowed ones and realized, "Oh shit! These people really believe it!"

I discovered I was what people called an atheist during college. And that discovery led me to appreciate the value of philosophy.

Mr. Spock had a strong influence on me as a kid.
Denis Loubet

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 08:29:30 PM »
Never had it, so I had nothing to 'lose'. And the more I learn about religion, the more ridiculous it seems.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +105/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 07:58:29 AM »
You don't lose ignorance, you gain knowledge.

You don't lose virginity, you gain sexual experience.

You don't lose faith, you gain critical thinking.
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline superfly

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • go ride a bicycle
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 10:51:01 AM »

I finally realized why I wanted to believe in a god. After that riddle was solved, I found that I didn't have any belief in any god.

Yes, many times.

nope

I suppose rapidly, but it was a gradual process to get to that point.
Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!
Kurt Vonnegut

Offline relativetruth

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 07:04:08 PM »
I don't consider myself an atheist in the sense most people mean.  My feeling is that religious belief simply doesn't matter beyond whether the individual cares about it.  I call this apatheism - basically, apathetic about theism.

Upon thinking about it, I think I've held this attitude for much of my life, although I was very slow to recognize it.  When I was growing up, religious belief never seemed 'real' to me; it had the feel of the fantastic things I would imagine inside my head, rather than something that was real and grounded in the world.  I participated in Methodist rituals (the religion I was brought up in) not because of any kind of earnest belief, but because I could tell they were important to others and felt it was worthwhile to respect that, even if I personally didn't have any interest.

I still feel that way today.  I have no issues with your religious beliefs, Lukvance, or in your desire to share them.  To me, it is the same as if you were trying to share a favored book or, perhaps, enjoyment of a favored food.  What aggravates me is your assumption that, because it is favored to you, that everyone should find it equally favorable; if it weren't for the fact that I've seen exactly this sort of attitude in other people, including myself, about things which have nothing to do with religion, I would have no patience with you at all.

I was brought in the Salvation Army in the Republic of South Africa. I was taught all those stories but I could never reconcile the fact that many of those people telling me about the Good Samaritan,camels and the eye of a needle etc. were still racists and exploited other people for money.

When I was about 12 or 13 I would listion to sermons in all serousness. But when I came away and analysed what I had heard, with all the emotions I had had, those were similar feelings I had when I had just seen a good (or bad) movie. The Holy Spirit left me just as quickly as after seeing James Bond.
God(s) exist and are imaginary

Offline urs

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 02:48:31 AM »

I don't know why I lost my faith, especially because I didn't want to. Maybe you could ask god for me? Seems he avoids me when I look for him.

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 04:10:53 AM »
My parents had no belief in gods. My grandparents and great aunts did believe but never tried to preach to us, all lovely kind people. We did attended occasional church services at school (Church of Scotland) which were all very nice and quite boring. Very few kids at school went to church (Scotland, late '70s early '80s), those very very few that did were thought of as odd-balls and I think most of us felt a bit sorry for the teasing they got.
We had one hour of Religious Education a week where it was obvious that no one in my class had any respect for the RE teacher.

I had always had a vague notion that there might be a god, probably because some adults believed and Christianity was visible in society.
About 5 - 6 years ago, I saw the social life of my wife's parents Christian community and thought I quite fancied that. So I started to read and think about it, but any religious thoughts I had vaporised once I read Christopher Hitchen's The Portable Atheist and Dawkin's works. Once I actually started to investigate it, my capacity for believing in a god went within about six months.

I went from being a 'not bothered atheist' to being a 'campaigning atheist' when I found out my wife's family actually believed the Earth was 6000 years old and evolution never happened. Not only that, they were teaching their kids this. In 2014 in the UK. In all my life I had never met people that actually believed that myth, I was quite shocked.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.