Author Topic: Rate the Last Film You Saw  (Read 55842 times)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +626/-67
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Rate the Last Film You Saw
« Reply #1218 on: May 01, 2018, 04:46:06 PM »
Avengers: Infinity War.
No comment to avoid spoilers.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-4
« Reply #1219 on: May 01, 2018, 06:24:48 PM »
spoiler alert for Avenger's Civil War:

well, deadpool is *all* about hyperviolence.   do you know much about the Marvel universe?  I've been reading for years and can probably explain some things if you'd like.

I have a question! I watched Avenger's Civil War after it had come out on Netflix with one of my kids some time ago. We got through maybe 30 minutes before we lost interest. We both loved the Iron Man and Avenger's movies before this. The problem for us was that Civil War seemed to us to be contrived. Like, why would Tony Stark support government regulation? That just seems so out of character to us. He doesn't like being reigned in. Ever. Why would he fight for the others to have to comply to being similarly reigned in? I get he feels guilty, but accepting a nanny/supervisor/gov't watchdog feels like the wrong approach for him to work this out. Can you help me understand this better?

For what it's worth, my knowledge of Marvel Universe is pretty limited to these movies. Also, I haven't watched Guardians of the Galaxy, mostly because I can't stand Chris Pratt. Do I have to be familiar with that story line to enjoy Avenger's Infinity War?

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1220 on: July 28, 2018, 10:13:11 AM »
Jack goes Home

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt4797436/

Not bad but not amongst the best movies I’ve seen either. Found it pretty gripping and interesting but was disappointed there wasn’t more to the ending than there was. At best I’d probably consider watching this just once again.

I’d personally give it a 6 out of 10.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +171/-2
« Reply #1221 on: August 06, 2018, 03:51:06 AM »
Two movies actually ... Rumor Has It (Jennifer Aniston) and Something Borrowed (Ginnifer Goodwin aka Snow White from Once upon a time)
Both are fairly straightforward romance-with-a-twist movies ... cause, well, we've done all the regular boy meets girl and marries her 90 minutes later you can think of.
Something Borrowed ... Snow White is the maid of honor. The fiance is an old sort-of-boyfriend of hers. She totally accidentally starts seducing him. He initiates ... lets call it 'physical contact'. And the rest of the movie is them dealing with the fallout. Snow White and the fiance do end up together ... huzzah!
Rumor has it ... The Graduate turns out to be based on real life events. Jennifer is the daughter and granddaughter of the women who slept with "the graduate". She thinks the graduate might be her real father, her mom having slept with him the week before her wedding. She goes to seek him out and it turns out he's sterile. Phew. Anyway, Jennifer starts flirting with THE GUY SHE UP UNTIL A HOUR AGO THOUGHT WAS HER ACTUAL DAD!!! She initiates ... 'physical contact'. she has sex with THE GUY SHE UP UNTIL A HOUR AGO THOUGHT WAS HER ACTUAL DAD!!! and the rest of the movie is Jennifer dealing with the fallout. Oh, and there's a brief moment where she thinks he might be her actual dad after all ... ah, incest, fun for the whole family! But he really is sterile. She does end up back with her fiance, Huzzah!

Now, why bother with these run of the mill movies?

In both movies there's this scene where the female lead wakes up, the morning after The Sex. And here it gets weird (weirder than would-be incest). Neither woman remembers the sex (straight away)! Snow White realizes she must have had sex when she sees the fiance next to her. But even then she only assumes to having had sex ... she doesn't actually remember the sex. When the phone rings and she sees it's her BFF, the one she's maid of honor to, she shouts at the fiance, who's getting out of bed, "Don't be naked! Don't be naked!" ... still thinking he only slept over and nothing happened.
Jennifer does remember the sex, but only after realizing she was in an unfamiliar bed.
Now, everyone involved in both movies had had some drinks ... but no one was plastered, no slurred speech, no wobbly walk.
This is really quite misandric ... it propagates the myth that woman + alcohol = rape (while the men had also drunk alcohol). And that sex + regret in the morning = rape. Yet, in both cases it's the woman who starts working towards sex, is ok with the sex and never objects until afterwards. In both movies, the woman has an option to put the blame on the man and paint herself as a victim but since this wasn't the focus of the movies, they don't.

Still, it's very easy to see where false rape claims come from. Woman has consensual sex, her friends freak out about it, she'll suffer social isolation for months or even years, she claims rape, everyone likes her again! At no cost to herself! Sure, the man's life is essentially over, but meh, who cares, right?

Anyway ... Something Borrowed ... no interesting twists, servicable acting performance predictable ending ... lets be generous and say 5/10
Rumor has it ... some interesting twists, pretty good acting, predictable ending ... 6/10

Oh, and there was a peculiar scene early in Rumor where Jennifer emotionally blackmails her fiance into airliner sex (which doesn't pan out for logistic reasons). The scene is superfluous and feels like runtime padding, but it's, again, sort of misandric in that it doesn't get brought up again later. So, Girl pressures guy into sex => barely worth a mention. Guy pressures girl into sex => rape.
2 Interwebs 7:42
And in the seventh year, thou shalt cast out the Nam from thine assembly for he haveth a potty mouth.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +242/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #1222 on: October 11, 2018, 11:08:48 PM »
A Star is Born (2018)  8.5/10

Loved it!  There is nothing Lady Gaga can't sing.  Bradley Cooper did a great job, too.  It is the classic story of a fading blues-rock star taking interest and falling in love with a talented younger singer who quickly eclipses him and his jealousy and addiction take their toll on the relationship.  The songs were excellent, the acting was good, the story was good, it was an all around enjoyable movie.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.