Author Topic: Rate the Last Film You Saw  (Read 54250 times)

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +237/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: Rate the Last Film You Saw
« Reply #1189 on: January 15, 2018, 11:06:46 PM »
I saw "I, Tonya" on Friday.  I'd give it an 8/10.  It was enjoyable.  The acting was very good and it brought back memories of when the events were really going on.  I was an avid fan of figure skating back then. 
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +118/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1190 on: January 16, 2018, 11:34:08 AM »
I finished the second season of stranger things.  It was not as good as the first, but it was still goddamn good.  8/10.

Good to know! I plan on watching this myself once I've rewatched some of the episodes from Season 1.

As a side note (in case anyone might be interested) I also recently watched Dark on Netflix which is kind of similar to Stranger Things:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5753856/

So far, I'm personally loving this! Can't wait to watch the next season once it's released!

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +118/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1191 on: January 16, 2018, 11:35:07 AM »
I saw "I, Tonya" on Friday.  I'd give it an 8/10.  It was enjoyable.  The acting was very good and it brought back memories of when the events were really going on.  I was an avid fan of figure skating back then.

Sounds interesting Lori. Thanks for the mention!

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +473/-8
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #1192 on: February 22, 2018, 02:40:13 AM »
The Clapper   3/10         Amanda does her best to hold it up, but there is nothing there besides Amanda.

What We Do in The Shadows  6-7/10
This is a kiwi film made by the same person who did Thor Ragnarok. He's like Peter Jackson, who had some small films to his name, which people showed interest in after seeing LoTR.  Taika Waititi tends to be in all his movies, and stars in WWDITS. It's a mockumentary about a stupid vampire group in Wellington, who share the same flat. It's one of those movies where you wonder if you will last to the end, but you make it. When you get there, you think that was fuckn insane, but glad I watched it.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1178/-40
  • We stand on the shoulders of giants
« Reply #1193 on: February 22, 2018, 09:39:19 PM »
What We Do in The Shadows  6-7/10

I loved this one.  Gemaine Clement is so talented.

Despicable me 3
7/10
Fun.  More or less the same as the others, with less focus on the little girls.
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1178/-40
« Reply #1194 on: February 25, 2018, 08:30:28 PM »
Dunkirk
6/10
Meh.  Too much jumping around in time made it kind of co fusing and dull.  Not enough suspense.
Acting was good.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +118/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1195 on: February 26, 2018, 02:44:05 AM »
Didn’t long watch Vegas Vacation for the second time (I can barely remember anything about the time I first saw this).

I think there were some genuinely funny/enjoyable parts. And I didn’t find the acting bad. But at the same time, to me, there was something about the film that (to me) just seemed over rushed. Plus, I saw that there was a lack of any real effort to try to show audiences much of anything new when it came to the plot.

While I didn’t dislike the film (and enjoyed it in parts)  not really one I feel inclined to rewatch much in the future either.

Rating it 5.5/10.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +615/-66
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #1196 on: February 26, 2018, 06:41:03 PM »
Black Panther: 8/10

SPOILERS BELOW. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Some parts of the plot were predictable, like when what's-his-name loses the ritual fight (I mean, it's literally right next to a means by which your opponent is unlikely to survive and will remain inaccessible to those wanting confirmation) and the rest of the story that follows. I'd have given it a 7/10, but there is one thing that I really liked: it wasn't yet another "white man/America(n) saves the colored people/world" film, like so many before it (Avatar, Independence Day, and so on). The problem originates in Wakanda and is solved in Wakanda, by Wakandans. That trope avoidance alone makes this an 8/10 film instead of a 7/10, IMO.

SPOILERS ABOVE. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +473/-8
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #1197 on: February 28, 2018, 02:43:18 AM »
Worth it to see all the White Supremacists come out and think of overly intellectual reasons why they hated it.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +113/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1198 on: March 05, 2018, 03:14:31 PM »
COCO -- 6/10 Cute animation, decent story.

Blade Runner -- no rating, I fell asleep. TWICE, and have no idea what this movie is about.
Mankind is not likely to salvage civilization unless he can evolve a system of good and evil which is independent of heaven and hell.

George Orwell

When you believe in things you don't understand
Then you suffer
Superstition ain't the way

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Professor
  • Darwins +354/-39
« Reply #1199 on: March 05, 2018, 04:24:44 PM »
The new Blade Runner or the original?
I am not sure how to describe the intricacies of this Hell, so I chose to begin with the most common or prominent theme of Hell, which is uncertainty.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Professor
  • Darwins +354/-39
« Reply #1200 on: March 05, 2018, 04:33:55 PM »
Despicable me 3
7/10
Fun.  More or less the same as the others, with less focus on the little girls.

I like the first one a lot. I think they should have just left it there but the second one wasn't too disappointing. Haven't seen the third one yet. I'm like...meh.

My three daughters absolutely love all three. Can't imagine why.
I am not sure how to describe the intricacies of this Hell, so I chose to begin with the most common or prominent theme of Hell, which is uncertainty.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +413/-24
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #1201 on: March 05, 2018, 07:25:52 PM »
Thor: Ragnarok, was a hoot.   I very much enjoyed it, especially the interaction between Banner and Thor. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1178/-40
« Reply #1202 on: March 06, 2018, 10:53:12 AM »
Valerian
6/10
Pretty movie with cool ideas and effects, but not much heart.  I know a lot of critics blamed the actors, but I’m not convinced it wasn’t the script. Still, worth watching on prime.

Girls trip
5/10
Sort of like a tame version of the Hangover with middle aged black women.  Cliche, over the top in places, but over all okay.

Padmaavat
3/10
Bollywood movie that freaked out conservative hindu idiots.  Story from an old Rajput folktale which many take as true, about a queen who set herself on fire rather than be taken captive by Mughal conquerors.  Beautiful costumes and setting.  Deepika Padukone was luminous.  It has 75% less singing and dancing than most Bollywood movies, which is still 100% too much for me.

Everything else was a catastrophe. 

Story was crap.  Not enough Deepika.  The pace was plodding.  The effects were second rate.  Movie was an hour too long. Lead Male characters were one dimensional.  Ranveer Singh is a shitty actor.  It glorified ritual suicide by fire (despite the disclaimer that said it didn’t) and by extension honor killing in general.  It praised Hindus and slandered muslims by showing the former as being honorable to a flaw and the latter as being completely without any principles.

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +113/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1203 on: March 09, 2018, 02:58:54 PM »
The new Blade Runner or the original?

New one
Mankind is not likely to salvage civilization unless he can evolve a system of good and evil which is independent of heaven and hell.

George Orwell

Then you suffer

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +113/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1204 on: March 09, 2018, 03:03:24 PM »
Valerian
6/10
Pretty movie with cool ideas and effects, but not much heart.  I know a lot of critics blamed the actors, but I’m not convinced it wasn’t the script. Still, worth watching on prime.

Yes I liked that movie, well worth watching, I am prejudice for stuff like that. It did lack something that should have taken it to the next level.

George Orwell

Then you suffer

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +263/-2
« Reply #1205 on: March 12, 2018, 08:30:14 PM »
Love Coen Bros. Movies

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:31:51 PM by shnozzola »
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Who cares if Kim Jung-Un gets a nuke. Nukes don’t kill people, people kill people.”

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +118/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1206 on: April 23, 2018, 09:19:56 AM »
Saw this Sunday evening:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0105046/

A well acted, interesting but pretty sad movie I thought. Imo John Malkovich was so strongly convincing (despite knowing who it was playing the part I still had a tough time believing it was him during the watch) as a generally harmless gentle vulnerable intellectually disabled person (who could occasionally show behaviour on the dangerous side under the right circumstances) I really found the ending pretty horrible - though very understandable.

Given how hard Gary Sinise’s character tries to protect him from bad things/tries to build a better future for them both (considering the hard times they have been living in) during the film I felt pretty bad for his character also.

One of those movies that I found pretty good/made a fairly strong impact - but one that didn’t exactly leave me feeling great (although I’m sure that it wasn’t supposed to and I had the idea that something bad was going to happen at some stage going by the Netflix movie description for this).

Rating it 7/10.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:37:44 AM by Emma286 »

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +118/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1207 on: April 28, 2018, 07:35:55 AM »
Finished watching The Breakfast Club (1985) last night and didn’t long finish rewatching it again (to make up for not paying the closest attention to it first time round).

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0088847/

A film with an interesting theme, with some genuinely good scenes/acting and amusing parts in it (I also liked all of the characters - plus thought Judd Nelson was pretty nice which also helped :-D). I also love the Simple Minds soundtrack that they include in this.

Still, I had the sense that it was somewhat rushed - with the creators trying to fit too much into too short a time frame. While I find it totally believable that a group of people (pushed together in a non every situation as the teenage characters in this are can start getting along better/bonding more after a few hours of time spent together, I didn’t find it believable that they’d be as chummy as they were by the end of the movie - especially given some of the less positive interpersonal interactions during the film.

*Spoilers included*

Regarding the “coupling up” at the end in particular, I felt that this was all suddenly sprung on the audience (in a forced way) during the last 10-15 minutes. If there’d been more of a hint here and there build up to it, I wouldn’t have had any problem with it. But as things were, it more struck me that it was something chucked in (with a half hearted attempt) at the last minute. I did think that the kissing scene between Andrew and Allison was sweet, but even so.

Also (I possibly could have misinterpreted things but still), at the point Claire pulls away from John after their kiss I strongly got the idea that she pulled away just a bit too abruptly/easily for someone who’d really been into it. He slowly pulls away as if overcome  with emotion - but with her (so far as it looks to me) it’s more like she’s pulling away because she’s fast decided she’s had enough and wants to get away! I seriously have to wonder if Molly Ringwald disliked filming this part in real life!

Anyways rating this 6/10. A worthwhile watch but it could have been better done.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:40:53 AM by Emma286 »

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +237/-6
« Reply #1208 on: April 28, 2018, 04:30:20 PM »
The Breakfast Club is one of my all time favorite movies.  I've re-watched it several times.  I've never really critiqued it.  I like it for the nostalgia factor.  I feel the same about most of the Molly Ringwald movies.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +118/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1209 on: April 28, 2018, 05:10:58 PM »
Respecting that it’s a favourite of yours Lori and, by all means, feel free to disagree with me!

Can’t say that I’ve seen Molly Ringwald in much. The Stand is the only other thing I’ve ever watched her in so far.  Have to say that I did prefer her in this. Must check out what else she’s done.

Offline kevinagain

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +24/-4
  • mean people suck.
« Reply #1210 on: April 28, 2018, 06:08:03 PM »
the fall. 2006.

10 out of 10. the most visually beautiful motion picture i have ever seen. done completely in real places, real actors. no CGI because the director couldn;t afford it.

don't make excuses for nasty people. you don't put a flower in an asshole and call it a vase.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +237/-6
« Reply #1211 on: April 28, 2018, 07:21:53 PM »
Respecting that it’s a favourite of yours Lori and, by all means, feel free to disagree with me!

Can’t say that I’ve seen Molly Ringwald in much. The Stand is the only other thing I’ve ever watched her in so far.  Have to say that I did prefer her in this. Must check out what else she’s done.

It may be my generation (50's) that appreciates her and her movies.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +118/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1212 on: April 30, 2018, 05:07:12 AM »

It may be my generation (50's) that appreciates her and her movies.

I doubt that this applies in my case regarding the movie time (I’m 36 coming up 37 very soon). I have enjoyed a number of 80’s movies.

It’s also not that I went out of my way to not watch her in anything! It’s just happened, by coincidence, she’s tended not to pop up hardly in anything I’ve chosen to watch.

My parents are in their late 50’s, and my dad (at least) I know just isn’t into watching her.

I actually did like watching her (overall) in The Breakfast Club. I just didn’t find it the most believable (right towards the end) that she was as into Judd Benson as vice versa. Maybe because she was still young and hadn’t yet had enough acting experience to get around the hurdle of having to kiss an actor that she wasn’t into in real life - without letting any awkwardness show on film? I’m sure it’s not easy to do.

Anyways I would watch her in other stuff if the chance came up and the kind of film she was in happened to be my cup of tea. It doesn’t put me off. At the end of it I’ve only seen her in two things which I know isn’t much to go on in deciding how good an actor or actress is on an overall basis!  8)

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +118/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1213 on: April 30, 2018, 05:15:03 AM »
I guess the Breakfast Club reminded you of your high school days? :-)

It did sort of remind me of mine. It was very true, for me, at my first high school (at least) that if you weren’t considered sporty or popular (at least to a point) then you would have a hard time being accepted socially by others.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +237/-6
« Reply #1214 on: April 30, 2018, 02:47:24 PM »
I guess the Breakfast Club reminded you of your high school days? :-)

It did sort of remind me of mine. It was very true, for me, at my first high school (at least) that if you weren’t considered sporty or popular (at least to a point) then you would have a hard time being accepted socially by others.

Yes, my high school was pretty cliquish.  I, of course, did not fit in to any one group and was just sort of in the middle.  Not really an outcast because I did have friends that I did things with.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +237/-6
« Reply #1215 on: April 30, 2018, 02:59:44 PM »
Last night I watched Deadpool (2016).  They are playing many of the Marvel movies all of the time lately because of the new movie that is out.  I only thought it was OK.  I would give it a 6/10.  It was very violent and there were what I thought were pretty humorous sex scenes.  There was a lot that didn't make sense to me about his transformation from Wade to Deadpool.  Not much I can say without spoilers.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +413/-24
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #1216 on: May 01, 2018, 12:11:56 PM »
Last night I watched Deadpool (2016).  They are playing many of the Marvel movies all of the time lately because of the new movie that is out.  I only thought it was OK.  I would give it a 6/10.  It was very violent and there were what I thought were pretty humorous sex scenes.  There was a lot that didn't make sense to me about his transformation from Wade to Deadpool.  Not much I can say without spoilers.

well, deadpool is *all* about hyperviolence.   do you know much about the Marvel universe?  I've been reading for years and can probably explain some things if you'd like.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +237/-6
« Reply #1217 on: May 01, 2018, 01:09:45 PM »

well, deadpool is *all* about hyperviolence.   do you know much about the Marvel universe?  I've been reading for years and can probably explain some things if you'd like.

I actually had a conversation with my son and he explained the area of my main confusion.