Author Topic: Rate the Last Film You Saw  (Read 49334 times)

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +434/-5
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
Re: Rate the Last Film You Saw
« Reply #1131 on: April 18, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »
Sing 2016    7/10

Decent feel-good animated animal fantasy singing competition. Unlike Zootopia, there is no plausible reason why they used animals, except not liking to put animated humans to this type of bullshit script.

Kubo and The Two Strings   7.5/10

Stop motion animation that plunders Japanese culture and thus annoys anime fans. The stop motion is done so well it resembles CGI - mostly because they used 3D printers to print out facial variations. It's so soulful at one point, you will be wondering if humans have a soul. Luckily, reading IMDB "hated it" reviews will snap you out of it.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:00:15 AM by Add Homonym »
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1132 on: April 24, 2017, 08:25:48 AM »
Started to watch the new Blair Witch movie over the Easter weekend. Trouble was, I seriously struggled to take a proper interest in it prior to the last half an hour or so of running time. I thought it started off looking pretty predictable/boring and so my attention kept straying away from it until then. However, watching that last half an hour totally changed my first impression. I now really want to watch it (properly) again from the beginning. Though I would have liked for a bit more to have been explained/shown, I did think it was pretty awesome!

Going by what I saw/absorbed, think it deserves at least a 6/10 (though I may well change my mind about that later).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:28:08 AM by Emma286 »

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +328/-17
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #1133 on: May 07, 2017, 04:43:57 PM »
Just watched Rogue One.  I am so disappointed and have a huge headache from my eyes straining to see anything in the darkness on the screen. 

there was just so much wrong with it, I don't know where to start, but this will suffice:

what the $^#% is up with having the "main switch" on some random console outside?   This was also done in one of the Marvel movies where some highly important computer nonsense was in the most ridiculous place.   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1134 on: May 10, 2017, 02:58:04 PM »
I am assuming you mean the Star Wars Rogue One movie? :-)

Been so long since I last watched a Star Wars film. I've missed out on a good few by now I'm sure!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +328/-17
« Reply #1135 on: May 10, 2017, 03:15:35 PM »
I am assuming you mean the Star Wars Rogue One movie? :-)

Been so long since I last watched a Star Wars film. I've missed out on a good few by now I'm sure!
well, you probably missed out on a few....how good they were I will have to leave it to the watcher.   ;)

I did like seeing Peter Cushing again.  I'm a real Hammer Films fan.   The CGI didn't look as flawless as I had heard though.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1136 on: May 11, 2017, 06:44:12 AM »
I'm glad to hear that Peter Cushing was in it! :-) I'm a Hammer movie fan too! Think the guy was a very good actor!

Yeah, I know what you mean about how CGI can be at times. Makes me think of when I (fairly) recently rewatched The Midnight Meat Train (as hadn't fully watched it the first time I started to check it out). In some scenes, I felt the CGI actually detracted from the movie (rather than adding to it). Because of how unrealistic it looked, it stopped me from taking them seriously - though they were murder scenes!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 06:47:14 AM by Emma286 »

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1137 on: June 25, 2017, 06:04:43 AM »
Picked up The Beguiled and Dirty Harry on DVD yesterday from my local HMV. They were doing a deal, 2 dvd's for £10, so I decided to take advantage of it.

These are well known movies I know. Still, will rate them anyways.

The Beguiled I didn't find to be as good as I remembered it being (though I'd seen it more than once before as my parents own it as well as the other movie).

Still think it deserves at least a 6/10 though. I didn't see that it was filmed badly, that it had some very good acting in it and felt the storyline held a fair bit of promise - despite finding it lacking to an extent.

Every time I've tried to watch Dirty Harry I've never fully taken it in for one reason or another. When trying to watch it last night, that turned out to be no different! My partner had had a bottle of wine and kept talking through it at times I was trying to concentrate on it!

Have concluded that it's best to watch it again at a time there's no distractions (probably when I am alone). Still, going by what I did take in of it, found it good enough to give a rating of 7.5/10.

Going to be seeing the new Lego movie today and will be finishing off my watch of The Conjuring 2 (watched a lot of it last night but then got too tired to watch it to the end) which I've so far really liked! May also get to see the David Brent movie starring Ricky Gervais! 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 06:23:25 AM by Emma286 »

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1130/-38
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #1138 on: June 29, 2017, 09:15:27 PM »
Which version of Beguiled?  The Dudley Moore version, or the crap version?
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1139 on: June 30, 2017, 02:02:51 AM »
Which version of Beguiled?  The Dudley Moore version, or the crap version?

The 1971 version starring Clint Eastwood:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0066819/

If that's the one you mean, I personally don't find it to be crap. I just think it could've been a fair bit better! Just my opinion of course.

How come you think it's crap?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:16:47 AM by Emma286 »

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1130/-38
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #1140 on: June 30, 2017, 09:57:39 PM »
Ah, shit.  I was thinking of Bedazzled.  There was a 1967 version with Dudley Moore, peter cook and Raquel Welch that was awesome.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061391/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

In 2000 they did a remake with Brandon Frasier and Elizabeth Hurley.  It sucked hard.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230030/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I've never seen Beguiled, that I can remember.  Sorry for my confusion.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1141 on: June 30, 2017, 10:08:55 PM »
No worries Screwtape. Thanks for explaining! :-)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +328/-17
« Reply #1142 on: July 01, 2017, 11:33:41 AM »
It's been an age since I watched Beguiled with Eastwood.  I usually end up watching him in the spaghetti westerns that I dearly love.   I spent a hot afternoon watching the Sabata movies with Lee Van Cleef.   All terribly violent and stylized.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabata_(film

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1143 on: July 04, 2017, 01:18:07 AM »
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is my favourite spaghetti western with Clint Eastwood! :-)

I don't think that I've heard of or seen any of the Sabata movies before (though wouldn't be surprised if my dad knows them/has watched them). Thanks for the mention!

Offline Martin Richards

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1144 on: August 17, 2017, 05:37:11 AM »
Shot Caller is a film who likes criminal stories

Offline jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1031/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #1145 on: August 18, 2017, 04:21:48 PM »
Shot Caller is a film who likes criminal stories

Welcome to the forum Martin Richards.

Have any other films that compare to this one?  I'm not in a position to watch the trailer right now but I'm curious what aspects of a criminal story resonate with you.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1130/-38
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #1146 on: August 18, 2017, 08:12:19 PM »
In a valley of violence
8/10
A western in the style of spaghetti western that borders on spoof.  Nothing but fun.