Author Topic: Rate the Last Film You Saw  (Read 44047 times)

Online Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +428/-5
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
Re: Rate the Last Film You Saw
« Reply #1102 on: August 23, 2016, 02:52:33 AM »
Jungle Book wasn't so bad. There is a 3D version I might take a squiz at.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline ThatZenoGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +94/-24
  • Residential Sexy Anthro Goddess
    • Spacebattles Account.
« Reply #1103 on: September 12, 2016, 10:00:32 AM »
From what I understand, they made Kaa into a seductress (Impressive, for a 40 foot long snake)...

Not sure what to say about that...
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +213/-2
« Reply #1104 on: October 14, 2016, 07:10:10 PM »
Saw "Queen of Katwe" tonight.  The true story of a Ugandan teenager, living in a poor area but good at chess. 8/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4341582/
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline ThatZenoGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +94/-24
  • Residential Sexy Anthro Goddess
    • Spacebattles Account.
« Reply #1105 on: October 16, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »
I saw "Kelly's Heroes" recently.

Fuck I love Clint Eastwood.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline gamelilgirl

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1106 on: December 18, 2016, 08:26:52 AM »
i watched the suicide squad, and god it has horrible. -2/10  >:(

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-14
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #1107 on: December 18, 2016, 08:05:06 PM »
DC movies tend to be awful.   I saw Dr. Strange and thought it did a good job with the character.  It did take a few minutes to get use to Cumberbatch speaking with an American accent. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1097/-36
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #1108 on: December 21, 2016, 10:37:08 PM »
Dr Strange 7/10
Flawed but fun with good effects.  Well integrated into marvel universe films.

Captain fantastic 8/10
One big story flaw aside, good move.  Virgo Mortenson shows his wiener, as usual.

Best man down 2/10
Awful. Could not figure out if it wanted to be the hangover or Lolita. Acting was okay, script meh, story a total mess.  Couple of funny parts, but not worth it.
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline gamelilgirl

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1109 on: December 22, 2016, 11:14:32 PM »
DC movies tend to be awful.   I saw Dr. Strange and thought it did a good job with the character.  It did take a few minutes to get use to Cumberbatch speaking with an American accent.

On the contrary i really liked batman v superman

Removed suspicious link.

Hello gamelilgirl.  The green text indicates that I am speaking in my capacity as a forum moderator and not as a regular member.  Please refrain from posting links to streaming sites of questionable legality.

Moderator-mode-jdawg70
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 01:23:50 AM by jdawg70 »

Offline jdawg70

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +993/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #1110 on: December 23, 2016, 01:27:05 AM »

On the contrary i really liked batman v superman

Hi gamelilgirl -

Are you a real person or a bot?  I ask that because a) the streaming site link that was previously associated with this post and b) this opinion of yours that Batman v Superman was a really likable film is at least kinda indicative that you may not be human.  'cause that flick was not very good and rife with problems from a casual film viewing standpoint, an artistic standpoint, and a comic-nerd standpoint.

Presuming you to be a human, welcome to the forum.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1097/-36
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #1111 on: December 24, 2016, 08:11:09 PM »
Bone tomahawk 5/10
Run of the mill western with damsel kidnapped by injuns, except these injuns are into cannibalism and extreme body modification.  Okay expect for extremely graphic gore, and Patrick Wilson, who is just and awful actor.

Kurt Russel redeems his performance in hateful eight, which sucked.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1112 on: December 25, 2016, 09:44:56 AM »
Shrek was the last one I checked out, earlier on in the week. A well known I know, but I'd never gotten around to seeing it before!

Unfortunately, fell asleep during part of it but going by what I saw thought it was pretty good for the type of film it was. Rating it 7/10.

Did start to watch the second title but not that far into the story. Am looking forward to watching the rest when I next can!

Offline gamelilgirl

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1113 on: December 30, 2016, 08:03:03 AM »
lol, you try to join a convo on a forum and you get called a bot. i'm done. take care guys.

Offline gamelilgirl

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1114 on: December 30, 2016, 08:09:37 AM »
and also you moderating nazis, look at this http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,27216.msg629559.html#msg629559

and when i added a link im a bot. seriously, life is too short to even have this conversation here.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +458/-40
« Reply #1115 on: December 30, 2016, 11:48:56 AM »
It was your 2nd post.  Shnozzola had been on here for 6 years.  So yeah, that's why shnozzola wasn't suspected of being a bot when posting a link, and you were.

Note the word "suspected".  You weren't called a bot - you were asked if you were a bot.  You were also welcomed to the forum, under the assumption that you weren't one.

But yeah, twist it however you like.  Whatever floats your boat.
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Offline gamelilgirl

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1116 on: December 30, 2016, 12:31:53 PM »
i supposed that's why they said i posted "streaming sites of questionable legality" and he got away with exactly that?

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1058/-26
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1117 on: December 30, 2016, 01:12:13 PM »
gamelilgirl, please note that it is against the rules to discuss moderator actions in-thread.  If you wish to raise concerns about other posts which may be violating the rules, please use the Report to Moderator link in the bottom-right corner of the post, or else contact one of the other global moderators or administrators.
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1097/-36
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #1118 on: January 03, 2017, 09:32:07 PM »
Hell or high water
9/10
Great. Good acting, good plot, good script, perfectly cast.

Rogue one
7/10
Really well done, though not exactly a Star Wars movie.  Darker, grittier, more morally ambiguous.  I'd say the third best Star Wars movie made.

Short term 12
7/10
Brie Larson works at a group home for messed up teens.  Very good movie.

Online Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +428/-5
« Reply #1119 on: January 24, 2017, 04:27:14 AM »
Eyesore Superman vs Batman, only a couple of nights ago. I saw in the opening credits, that it was made by the same guy who made Sucker Punch, so I knew we were in for lots of slow motion shots, and music video style. The film has very little plot, over 3 hours. I'm pushed to describe what the plot actually was. Batman gets a bit narked at Superman, because he's dangerous. Lex frames up Superman. Some other monster and Wonder Woman turns up from nowhere, and they all fight the monster and become friends.  5/10

I saw the Mythica series, which is an interesting super low budget series that is crowd funded. The first movie had a budget of $100,000. When you watch it with that in mind, it's good to see some people putting the effort in, to tell a decent fantasy story, without wasting 300,000,000 on pointless battle CGI and overblown actor fees.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3405714/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Godzilla Resurgence is amusing. It's largely about the Japanese response to a disaster, and you can see some Fukashima commentary.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4262980/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Rick and Morty cartoon TV series is worth a watch. It has a barbaric psychopathic grandfather, who solves a problem he created in ep4, by moving to a parallel universe, where he didn't make the mistake.

The Girl Who Lept Through Time 2006, is a Jap anime, styled similar to Ghibli. It can be got with a US soundtrack. People say it's one of the best.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808506/?ref_=nv_sr_1

ARQ 2016 didn't seem to have much point. A lot of other time travel movies are better, like Time Lapse. (I can watch anything with Danielle Panabaker in it.)

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline BlackLight

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1120 on: January 24, 2017, 02:19:27 PM »
Saw John Wick the other night. Could've been as dull as dishwater, given that Keanu is such a one-note actor and that you can only kill suited gangsters so many different ways, but I really liked it - looking forward to the sequel in the few weeks.
GIVLING is an online trivia game - the purpose of which is to crowd/ad-fund student loan/mortgage payments. Free to sign up and to play. Daily cash prizes awarded to winning teams. Use Invite Code AS225966 at sign-up. Happy to answer any questions - PM me. Givling.com (or DL Android/iPhone apps)

Offline CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-3
  • Proud Whovian
« Reply #1121 on: January 24, 2017, 02:23:26 PM »
Hell or high water
9/10
Great. Good acting, good plot, good script, perfectly cast.

Rogue one
7/10
Really well done, though not exactly a Star Wars movie.  Darker, grittier, more morally ambiguous.  I'd say the third best Star Wars movie made.

Short term 12
7/10
Brie Larson works at a group home for messed up teens.  Very good movie.

What are the second and first best SW movies for you? (I also loved Rogue One)
Sometimes what is unknown is the most interesting.

"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1122 on: January 24, 2017, 03:01:38 PM »
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

Stars Vivien Leigh, Marlon Brando and Kim Hunter.

About a deeply troubled woman, Blanche Dubois (Vivien Leigh), who has just lost her home in Mississippi and goes to New Orleans to stay with her sister Stella (Kim Hunter) and brother-in-law Stanley (Marlon Brando). Her brother in law has problems trusting her from almost the beginning of her stay, and treats her cruelly. However, when Blanche meets a friend of Stanley's, Mitch,  things seem to take a positive turn for a while. They start a romantic relationship and, after some time, Mitch proposes to Blanche. However, it ends up that Stanley uncovers some dark secrets about Blanche's recent past and reveals them to Stella and Mitch. Ultimately, this leads to more than one bad consequence.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044081/

Found this enjoyable/good enough to rate it 8/10. Did wish that Blanche could have been given a slightly more hopeful/positive ending though. Also thought certain parts of the film would have had more of an impact if the relevant events described had been directly shown.

Online Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +428/-5
« Reply #1123 on: January 26, 2017, 10:46:49 AM »
Kobo Sudoku  4/10

My Kobo has a Sudoku in the settings. The third puzzle it dished out to me, had two threes in one column. This made me update the software. They still haven't got rid of the problem that all the puzzles are too hard, even though you can set simple, which should be easier than easy. Easy means you can do it on the toilet.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1097/-36
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #1124 on: January 28, 2017, 03:43:57 PM »
What are the second and first best SW movies for you? (I also loved Rogue One)

For me, they were the original (episode 4) and empire strikes back. Then rogue 1, then probably return of the Jedi.  After that, it gets messy.  I'm not sure I can put episode 7 higher than the 3 prequels.  7 was much more even, but essentially a rehash of and generally okay but not awesome.  1-3 had horrendous parts and characters, but the cool parts were so goddamn cool I can hardly stand it. 

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1097/-36
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #1125 on: January 28, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »
Everybody wants some
2/10
Struck me as a wannabe Anima House nostalgia film.  About a house of college baseball players on 1980 Texas campus. Drinking, chasing women, and finally, 2/3 of the way through, playing baseball. No plot, and very boring.  Script and performances were okay. Music was throw back 80s.
2 hours long is just too much. 

Joy
7/10
Jennifer Lawrence is underachieving genius bogged down by her life and idiot family.  Finally invents the best mop known to mankind and has to fight every inch of the way.  Generally a very good movie.  Dedicated to "daring women".  Amen to that.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1126 on: March 13, 2017, 03:06:54 PM »
Clinical (2017)

About a Psychiatrist (Vinessa Shaw), Jane Mathis, who once did post trauma work. However, since experiencing a traumatic event of her own (with a young female patient Nora) she has chosen to give this up so that she can take things easier in her job as she tries to move on. However, after some further thought, she decides to make just the one exception for a new patient Alex (Kevin Rahm) At first, despite some initial difficulties, it seems like positive progress is being made, but then as intense visions of Nora continue to plague her, and it becomes clear that Alex is more troubled than she first realised, it's uncertain that she's necessarily done the right thing...

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt5577742/

Found this intriguing/interesting throughout something like the first 2 thirds of the story, but after that felt that things went downhill. I found the ending especially disappointing. Struck me as a pretty lazy effort really. A big shame imo.

Rating this 5.5/10

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:08:49 PM by Emma286 »

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1097/-36
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #1127 on: March 13, 2017, 10:14:25 PM »
Midnight in Paris
6/10
Okay for a woody Allen movie

Online Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +428/-5
« Reply #1128 on: March 15, 2017, 05:26:21 AM »
Schneider vs Bax  6/10

A movie like Mr and Ms Smith, where two hitmen are sent against each other, with no reason. Only, this one's Dutch and set in a swamp, and has no romance.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3430416/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Bunyan and Babe  6.5/10

Essentially a kid's animation, with lo tech CGI. Decent story about a boy finding a giant man down a tree, who rescues the village from an evil hypnotist.

Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant  7/10

Sci-fi series in same genre as Mazerunner and Hunger games, where the protagonists are set in a world with an implausible solution to a banal problem.

Moana 7.5/10

Very pretty animation, about pacific islanders, cast with Hawaiians and New Zealanders.

---

Looking forward to the Incorporated TV series.

Online Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +428/-5
« Reply #1129 on: March 25, 2017, 09:09:43 AM »
Mune, Guardian of the Moon 2014
Hideous  3/10. Was about animal things, dragging the sun and moon around on strings, and bitching about it.

Spectral 2016
Not too bad. Resembled The Spirits Within 2001.        6.8/10
Army team encounters strange demons in a battle zone, and apply scientific method to figure out what they are.

Ratchet and Clank 2016      6.5/10
Moderately amusing animation, where team of idiots attempt to thwart team of evil super villains.

The Love Witch  2016    6.5
Tolerable 70's nostalgia B grade, about a hot witch who goes around accidentally destroying men.