Author Topic: What happens when you die?  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Pastafarian

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: What happens when you die?
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2008, 03:51:15 PM »
Hear hear.+... ah that sucks >:(
Don't pin that on jesus! He has enough nail holes as it is - House

Offline snkiesch

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2008, 05:26:44 PM »
Are you threatening here?  ;)

You think we haven't? Worst case scenario (very very few here I suspect) we call out to an imaginary being. And?

I doubt I will, just like I doubt you'll call out to Allah, or Zhiva or a thousand other god's, just in case. You don't believe in them. I don't believe in just 1 more than you  :)

what about if you die tomorrow? or today? what then?

I have looked death in the eye a few times since Mar 2006 when I was diagnoised with colon cancer while going thru Hep-c treatments. My liver was at a level 3, 4 being cirrhois. In Aug 2006 I went to the ER and was admitted to Intensive care. everything started to shut down after finishing a year of treatments. Since Nov 2007 I have been in the ER 7 times. They kept me twice once for five days with emergency life saving surgery. I have had 4 surgeries since Feb this year for damage caused by the radiatio/surgery from the cancer treatment.

I have an appointment for the 20th of Aug to determine if the last surgery worked or not. If it did not work I face resection and /or colonstomy surgery.

The idea of calling on a god never entered my head. The reason I am an atheist is because there is no evidence for a god. Being in an emotional charged enviroment does not change that fact. If I was to call on a god in those situations would mean that I have been living a lie.  Your minister lied to you there are atheists in foxholes.
"The evangelists were inventors – not historians."

– Porphyry (Against the Christians, c. 280 AD)

Offline Pastafarian

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2008, 05:52:35 PM »
Thanks for sharing that. Ah shit, I'm sitting here wondering how to say "best of luck" without sounding like a shmuck.

...Well... you know  :)
Don't pin that on jesus! He has enough nail holes as it is - House

Offline HXCpr0n

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Logical thinking overrules superstitious faith.
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2008, 08:46:33 PM »
Human brain cannot imagine the state in which it (also consciousness) does not exist. It has no experience of such a state, because having such experience negates its existence in the first place.

So the question really cannot be answered. This is also one of the major reasons why people are so terrified by death, and why they seek alternative explanations which the brain can understand.

Genius. I had the same general idea but honestly, you worded it much better than I could have.
Would you rather live a lie, yet be satisfied, or know the truth, yet be unsatisfied? That is the real question of today's religion.

Our scientific theories may just be theories, but your religious rationalizations are just rationalizations.

Offline The Doctor

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2008, 04:19:45 AM »
As my body will continue to exist, so I believe my contentiousness will continue as well.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2008, 09:50:38 AM »
As my body will continue to exist, so I believe my contentiousness will continue as well.

If you're essentially going to be quarrelsome in the afterlife, I don't want to be in your afterlife. It's bad enough your sect, among a set of ridiculouse beliefs, inculcates individuals with annoying door to door ministering behaviour. Eternal annoyance, no thanks.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.