Author Topic: Bought a banjo  (Read 110 times)

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
Bought a banjo
« on: August 03, 2014, 03:53:15 PM »
So I just bit and bought a new, but damaged Recording King banjo online. Other than minor blemishes it has a cracked neck I'm hoping is an easy repair. If I can fix it and clean it up nice I'm thinking I can resell this one for a tidy profit.. They retail around $250 and up, but got this one for $100.  Anyone got experience with banjos? I play guitar, but never really messed much with banjos. In case you're wondering, craigslist is a breeding ground for people willing to part with hard earned cash for musical instruments..
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:55:44 PM by atheola »
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
Re: Bought a banjo
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 06:47:28 PM »
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
I can play that on the geetar but can't do the rolls.. Keep ya posted..

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 08:17:16 PM »
The banjo takes as much training and experience as the guitar, but I prefer the guitar. More refined. The banjo sounds more raw.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 06:44:07 PM »
The banjo takes as much training and experience as the guitar, but I prefer the guitar. More refined. The banjo sounds more raw.

I like that raw sound.. It arrived today exactly as described and is currently hanging up awaiting the glue to dry..  Still sounded good and held pitch and tuning before the repair..
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:46:24 PM by atheola »

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +113/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 07:06:09 PM »
So I just bit and bought a new, but damaged Recording King banjo online. Other than minor blemishes it has a cracked neck I'm hoping is an easy repair. If I can fix it and clean it up nice I'm thinking I can resell this one for a tidy profit.. They retail around $250 and up, but got this one for $100.  Anyone got experience with banjos? I play guitar, but never really messed much with banjos. In case you're wondering, craigslist is a breeding ground for people willing to part with hard earned cash for musical instruments..

I would never never never advise anyone to buy a damaged acoustic instrument, even if it is repaired.
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 02:33:34 PM »
I leaned to play a BADLY broken guitar I'd found in a junk pile, but restrung it even if my fingers bleed back then. I've owned quite a few damaged instruments over the years, some bad, some minor..
This one seems fine as is. The crack was straight at the nut and now repaired and sounds OK for cheap.. I couldn't afford a new $1000 banjo so a damaged $100 deal doesn't seem to awful.
I'm not about to become some big star so not worried..it's basically to entertain myself and turn a buck once in awhile..