Author Topic: Bible versus Quran versus Satanic Bible on rape  (Read 1215 times)

Online epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-14
Re: Bible versus Quran versus Satanic Bible on rape
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 08:00:19 AM »
So REAL Christians wrote the Satanic Bible?

Seems kinda strange, doesn't it? &)
It's that or the "real" biblegod could not give a fuck for the female. If he cares so little about women why does he hate fags so much? To look at it Biblegod sees women as little more than a sperm receptacle.

That is just stupid.  God sees them as way more than sperm recipticles,,,

Maids
Cooks
Nannies
Implementors of his will regarding the above categoryies.
They should compfort their man both sexually and mentally by building up self esteem.

Women are so much more then just sperm recepticales. 

Geeze, they

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-109
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 12:09:34 PM »
You don't even stop to wonder how it could logically be approved when it carried with it the death penalty.  But rather than question your interpretations you keep the illogical nature of your claims.

How could it be punished if they had no concept of it (no word for it) in the first place? :S

Forced sex is how they viewed it.

"If there be a damsel that is a virgin betrothed unto a husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; 24then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them to death with stones; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbor's wife: so thou shalt put away the evil from the midst of thee." (Dt 22:23,24)

Adultery.

"But if the man find the damsel that is betrothed in the field, and the man force her, and lie with her; then the man only that lay with her shall die" (Dt 22:25)

Rape.

"If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, that is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; 29then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty'shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife, because he hath humbled her; he may not put her away all his days." (Dt 22:28,29)

Fornication.

"Force her" and "lay hold on her" are not derived from the same Hebrew word and neither of them are properly translated "rape".
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2014, 12:18:13 PM »
I'm not a genius or anything, but forced sex is rape.

Either they had concept of rape and you retract your earlier statement, or you keep it up and explain how they punished someone for an offense they didn't even know.
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-109
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 12:47:33 PM »

Either they had concept of rape and you retract your earlier statement, or you keep it up and explain how they punished someone for an offense they didn't even know.

I never said they didn't have a concept of rape. 

"But if the man find the damsel that is betrothed in the field, and the man force her, and lie with her; then the man only that lay with her shall die" (Dt 22:25)

This is their concept of rape.  But there is no word in the sentence above that is accurately translated as "rape".  And "force her" and "lay hold of her" are not the same word nor the same thing.  One is actually rape and the other is consensual.
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »

This is their concept of rape.  But there is no word in the sentence above that is accurately translated as "rape".  And "force her" and "lay hold of her" are not the same word nor the same thing.  One is actually rape and the other is consensual.
if she is not betrothed it is a much different story. Good thing Jesus came around or married women would be safer,because we would be killing their rapists. Not so much for the unwed though.... A few shekels of silver and you have a new son in law
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-109
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2014, 01:14:28 PM »
So the fact that one says "and the man force her" and the other one doesn't is of no concern to you and your interpretation?

Offline urs

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2014, 01:20:44 PM »

That's not "their" concept of rape - it's the actual universal concept of rape. Just because they used a few words instead instead of one doesn't mean that it doesn't ultimately translate as rape.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2014, 01:28:02 PM »
So the fact that one says "and the man force her" and the other one doesn't is of no concern to you and your interpretation?
JST is that a question for me? The difference between a married and unmarried women in scripture is death or marriage.... The force used for sex towards a married woman means death for the rapist...or marriage if he pays the father silver when he rapes his unwed daughter..... Seems reasonable.....NOT
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-109
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2014, 01:37:12 PM »

That's not "their" concept of rape - it's the actual universal concept of rape. Just because they used a few words instead instead of one doesn't mean that it doesn't ultimately translate as rape.

Okay then that is how they put it in words.  There is no word in Hebrew that directly translates to rape.  And for me this does indicate that is was very rare.  Afterall, rapists were put to death.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-109
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2014, 01:38:09 PM »
JST is that a question for me? The difference between a married and unmarried women in scripture is death or marriage.... The force used for sex towards a married woman means death for the rapist...or marriage if he pays the father silver when he rapes his unwed daughter..... Seems reasonable.....NOT

Where does it say that?

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +700/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2014, 01:53:37 PM »

I'm scratching my head here, jst.  I don't understand the point you were trying to make here:
The Bible says no such thing.  Hebrews didn't even have a word for rape.

seriously, man.  wtf?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2014, 01:53:46 PM »
Deuteronomy 22 28-29

Exodus 22 16-17

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-109
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »
If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, that is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; 29then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty'shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife, because he hath humbled her; he may not put her away all his days." (Dt 22:28,29)

Where does it say rape her?

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-109
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2014, 02:13:32 PM »
And if a man entice a virgin that is not betrothed, and lie with her, he shall surely pay a dowry for her to be his wife. (Exodus 22:16)

Where does it say raper her?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2014, 02:28:59 PM »
And if a man entice a virgin that is not betrothed, and lie with her, he shall surely pay a dowry for her to be his wife. (Exodus 22:16)

So cleaned up language in the new Bibles take any context of Rape out of it...If the Woman should not want to marry the man she lay with what then? Women are property to men of the Bible plain and simple.....worth a certain amount of silver,much the same as livestock of it were poached

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2014, 03:12:08 PM »
I'm curious, what does "lay hold on her" mean?

In 7 verses, we have 2 different terms used: "force her" and "lay hold on her".

In Deuteronomy 22 verses 23 -24, no term is used and instead it just says that a man lies with a virgin damsel who is betrothed to another man.  What if she is not a virgin?  Is Adultery okay then? 

In Deuteronomy 22 verses 25-27, the term “force her” is used.  This is obviously a concept of rape.  These verses are regarding a damsel who is betrothed to another man.  Interestingly, virgin is not used here.  Would I be right to assume she cried out in this case?  Why the different settings, 23-24 is in the city, 25-27 is in a field?

In Deuteronomy 22 verses  28-29, the term “lay hold on her” is used.  What concept is this of?  These verses are regarding a virgin damsel who is not betrothed to another man.  Why use different terminology in this third scenario?

"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2014, 06:26:31 AM »
I'll come back when you stop denying that forced sex is rape.

Some people :/
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Online epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-14
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2014, 07:48:18 AM »
Okay then that is how they put it in words.  There is no word in Hebrew that directly translates to rape.  And for me this does indicate that is was very rare.  Afterall, rapists were put to death.

Very rare or unimportant.

It is like lynching post civil war.  finding a black guy in a tree was not exactly front page news in Mississippi in 1890.  If culturally rape (non consensual sex) with a virgin may have been seen as  boys being boys.  Pay for the ruined fruit (xvirgin) and take 'it' home with you.   The virgins consent may well have been meaningless.   To more accurately understand this look at tribal muslim countries and their treatment of daughters who are raped.  Two words (honor killing).

I used to understand honor killing.  At least when I thought it was the dad killing the rapist.  But the reality is that the raped woman bears the shame of the family and they honor kill her??????

Strange but I think that is much closer to the world view we would find 2000+ years ago in the middle east .
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:50:20 AM by epidemic »

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +104/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2014, 08:34:19 AM »

Single words in Hebrew do not generally mean a single word in English. By choosing one word in the language you are showing confirmation bias.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +700/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2014, 08:45:06 AM »
bump.  in case this got lost in the shuffle.

I'm scratching my head here, jst.  I don't understand the point you were trying to make here:
The Bible says no such thing.  Hebrews didn't even have a word for rape.

seriously, man.  wtf?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +270/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2014, 10:12:52 AM »
Putting aside linguistics and cultural attitudes from not-quite-bygone times, let's cut to the heart of the problem:

It is clear that the Bible and the Quran were written by people who didn't give a damn about the right of a woman to refuse sex.  What baffles Me is why any woman, or any man who cares about women, would continue to worship a "god" that treats them in such a hideous manner.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2014, 10:16:28 AM »

In Deuteronomy 22 verses 23 -24, no term is used and instead it just says that a man lies with a virgin damsel who is betrothed to another man.  What if she is not a virgin?  Is Adultery okay then? 

In Deuteronomy 22 verses 25-27, the term “force her” is used.  This is obviously a concept of rape.  These verses are regarding a damsel who is betrothed to another man.  Interestingly, virgin is not used here.  Would I be right to assume she cried out in this case?  Why the different settings, 23-24 is in the city, 25-27 is in a field?

In Deuteronomy 22 verses  28-29, the term “lay hold on her” is used.  What concept is this of?  These verses are regarding a virgin damsel who is not betrothed to another man.  Why use different terminology in this third scenario?

I think it could be either rape or consensual. Modern Pakistan and various Muslim places still condemn a raped woman to marry her rapist, which shows how they think, and also gives an insight into the Hebrew thinking. But I think there is also a problem that two horny children may fornicate in a field, and the damsel loses her virginity, so she is then impossible to SELL, because her hymen is broke. The dowry system works backwards to Indian and British methods where the father gives money with the woman, because she is a problem.

So, it's a case of you broke it, you pay for it.

The law is an echo of Exodus

"If a man entices (pathah) a virgin who is not betrothed, and lies (shakab) with her, he shall surely pay the bride-price for her to be his wife. If her father utterly refuses to give her to him, he shall pay money according to the bride-price of virgins." Exodus 22:16-17
http://www.answering-islam.org/Shamoun/ot_and_rape.htm
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:31:32 AM by Add Homonym »
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline frank callaway

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-32
  • it's a bird, it's a shark... you're fucked
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2014, 11:20:59 AM »

I think it could be either rape or consensual. Modern Pakistan and various Muslim places still condemn a raped woman to marry her rapist, which shows how they think, and also gives an insight into the Hebrew thinking. But I think there is also a problem that two horny children may fornicate in a field, and the damsel loses her virginity, so she is then impossible to SELL, because her hymen is broke. The dowry system works backwards to Indian and British methods where the father gives money with the woman, because she is a problem.

So, it's a case of you broke it, you pay for it.

The law is an echo of Exodus

"If a man entices (pathah) a virgin who is not betrothed, and lies (shakab) with her, he shall surely pay the bride-price for her to be his wife. If her father utterly refuses to give her to him, he shall pay money according to the bride-price of virgins." Exodus 22:16-17
http://www.answering-islam.org/Shamoun/ot_and_rape.htm

perhaps i'm totally misreading deuteronomy 22, v 25-28... but it appears to say that if a man rapes a woman that it's the man who shall be put to death and the woman considered innocent...

but i get it... it's fun to believe that people who identify as "christians" also completely 100% agree that rape is totally cool, cause it's in the bible...  i'm sure if i walked into any church on any given sunday morning and conducted a poll with the congregation as to who believes a woman that is raped should be sold to her rapists, 100% would agree... :/
When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.

-Jonathan Swift

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +104/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »
perhaps i'm totally misreading deuteronomy 22, v 25-28... but it appears to say that if a man rapes a woman that it's the man who shall be put to death and the woman considered innocent...

but i get it... it's fun to believe that people who identify as "christians" also completely 100% agree that rape is totally cool, cause it's in the bible...  i'm sure if i walked into any church on any given sunday morning and conducted a poll with the congregation as to who believes a woman that is raped should be sold to her rapists, 100% would agree... :/

The christian church moved on from the OT. When the church gained power in the Roman Empire, one of the first laws made was that if a man raped a woman, the man was put to death. Then the woman was put to death. Does that sound like they cared about the women?
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +700/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2014, 02:48:07 PM »

but i get it... it's fun to believe that people who identify as "christians" also completely 100% agree that rape is totally cool, cause it's in the bible... 

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the point.  I think the opposite is the point.  At least, it is when I make it.  xians clearly do not think that.  Sure, they do think other whacky and misogynistic things.  But not that.  So when I point out to them that they have some moral belief and the bible says the opposite of that belief, the point I am making is that the book they hold in such esteem is really terrifying and completely contrary to the morals they hold.  It is to show them the primitiveness and barbarity of the myths they think they hold dear.  My goal is to show the falseness of it.

also, just a little perspective.  Deut 22 also says:

5 A woman must not wear men’s clothing, nor a man wear women’s clothing, for the Lord your God detests anyone who does this.
6 If you come across a bird’s nest beside the road, either in a tree or on the ground, and the mother is sitting on the young or on the eggs, do not take the mother with the young. 7 You may take the young, but be sure to let the mother go, so that it may go well with you and you may have a long life. [ed. yeah, totally the key to long life]
10 Do not plow with an ox and a donkey yoked together. [ed. because they are mortal enemies?]
11 Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together.[ed. because it is totally not fashionable
12 Make tassels on the four corners of the cloak you wear.[ed. because it is totally fashionable]

It also goes on to name some marriage violations.  It is interesting that if a man slanders his new wife by saying she was not a virgin when she really was, that as punishmenthe has to give sheckles to her father, and she has to stay married to him.  Great.  That shows you who is really damaged by the slander - the woman's father.

However, if her hymen was not intact, or did not bleed when the marriage was consumated, she was to be stoned to death.

the verse in question: Deut 22:23-24 :
If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=deut+22&version=NIV

and the other horrible verse, Deut 22:28-29 :
28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[c] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.
Again, we see the perception is that the damage of the rape is against the father, who receives the fine, and not the young woman.  She gets to marry her rapist.  Lucky her. 

So, there you go.  The wisdom of the jooz.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-109
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2014, 03:01:42 PM »

So cleaned up language in the new Bibles take any context of Rape out of it...If the Woman should not want to marry the man she lay with what then? Women are property to men of the Bible plain and simple.....worth a certain amount of silver,much the same as livestock of it were poached

The same thing that happens if the man doesn't want to marry her.  Fornicators were forced to get married.

Rapists were put to death.

Offline frank callaway

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-32
  • it's a bird, it's a shark... you're fucked
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2014, 03:23:37 PM »

but i get it... it's fun to believe that people who identify as "christians" also completely 100% agree that rape is totally cool, cause it's in the bible... 

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the point.  I think the opposite is the point.  At least, it is when I make it.  xians clearly do not think that.  Sure, they do think other whacky and misogynistic things.  But not that.  So when I point out to them that they have some moral belief and the bible says the opposite of that belief, the point I am making is that the book they hold in such esteem is really terrifying and completely contrary to the morals they hold.  It is to show them the primitiveness and barbarity of the myths they think they hold dear.  My goal is to show the falseness of it.

also, just a little perspective.  Deut 22 also says:

5 A woman must not wear men’s clothing, nor a man wear women’s clothing, for the Lord your God detests anyone who does this.
6 If you come across a bird’s nest beside the road, either in a tree or on the ground, and the mother is sitting on the young or on the eggs, do not take the mother with the young. 7 You may take the young, but be sure to let the mother go, so that it may go well with you and you may have a long life. [ed. yeah, totally the key to long life]
10 Do not plow with an ox and a donkey yoked together. [ed. because they are mortal enemies?]
11 Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together.[ed. because it is totally not fashionable
12 Make tassels on the four corners of the cloak you wear.[ed. because it is totally fashionable]

It also goes on to name some marriage violations.  It is interesting that if a man slanders his new wife by saying she was not a virgin when she really was, that as punishmenthe has to give sheckles to her father, and she has to stay married to him.  Great.  That shows you who is really damaged by the slander - the woman's father.

However, if her hymen was not intact, or did not bleed when the marriage was consumated, she was to be stoned to death.

the verse in question: Deut 22:23-24 :
If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=deut+22&version=NIV

and the other horrible verse, Deut 22:28-29 :
28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[c] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.
Again, we see the perception is that the damage of the rape is against the father, who receives the fine, and not the young woman.  She gets to marry her rapist.  Lucky her. 

So, there you go.  The wisdom of the jooz.

right... but you do understand my flippant response to an obviously flippant OP, right?  the way women were treated in jerusalem in the 7th century b.c. was on par with the way women were treated in 7th century b.c. greece, babylon, or the zhou dynasty.  plus i think most xtians hold to the precepts christ demonstrated, much of which was in stark contrast to the jewish laws of the day.  that passage in deut about rape or whatever was written 700 years before christ even arrived on the scene... almost 3k years ago...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 03:28:16 PM by frank callaway »
When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.

-Jonathan Swift

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-109
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2014, 03:24:54 PM »

The same thing as if a man were to 'lay hold of his wife' and have sex.  It means to iniate it.    Remember that these were old-fashioned people.  It was customary for the man to iniate a relationship, and probably always sex too, just like it is customary now for the man to propose marriage.  That's why it always talks about men as the ones asserting their will.  A woman could reject a man's advances but it was the man that customarily made the advances.

Keep in mind that virgin was also synonomous with unmarried.  So it means a single young woman.  " 20But if this thing be true, that the tokens of virginity were not found in the damsel; 21then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones, because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the harlot in her father's house: so shalt thou put away the evil from the midst of thee."  (Dt 22)

"24then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them to death with stones; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbor's wife: so thou shalt put away the evil from the midst of thee."

If she cried out then it was rape.

Yes that is rape and is punishable by death.

Betrothed also effectually means married.  That's why Joseph was going to secretly "divorce" Mary even though they were only betrothed (engaged).

Also it is proper to translate the Hebrew word for virgin also as damsel.  They meant the same thing.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2014, 03:26:18 PM »

The same thing that happens if the man doesn't want to marry her.  Fornicators were forced to get married.

Rapists were put to death.
ya sure...scripture to back it? OT scripture please