Author Topic: religion and the damage done  (Read 118 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
religion and the damage done
« on: July 23, 2014, 10:18:51 AM »
Young children who are exposed to religion have a hard time differentiating between fact and fiction, according to a new study published in the July issue of Cognitive Science.

Researchers presented 5- and 6-year-old children from both public and parochial schools with three different types of stories -- religious, fantastical and realistic –- in an effort to gauge how well they could identify narratives with impossible elements as fictional.

The study found that, of the 66 participants, children who went to church or were enrolled in a parochial school were significantly less able than secular children to identify supernatural elements, such as talking animals, as fictional.

[continues]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/21/children-religion-fact-fiction_n_5607009.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
Re: religion and the damage done
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:33:58 AM »
Why else do you think Jesus was fond of children?

I remember from back in my witnessing days, that it was important to go after the younger people because as people get older, the chance to convert a non-believer reduces dramatically. Even the Christians admitted that.
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +50/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 12:21:05 PM »
Very timely...

Christian Evangelical Group Converting Five-Year Olds At Summer Pools And Parks

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/christian_evangelical_group_converting_five_year_olds_at_summer_pools_and_parks
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +559/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 12:49:10 PM »
I'm beginning to think that evangelism should be regulated, the same as how we regulate advertisements aimed at children.

Reading that second article linked, I find it disturbing that they're repeating the same old nonsensical schlock that a lot of evangelicals like to recite about how secularists shouldn't care what their children are taught "because it won't matter once they're dead".  Pure sophistry.  Beliefs can be perpetuated just like anything else, and wrong beliefs are far more harmful than these people would have us believe.

Especially telling:  "Each lesson uses a black heart to vividly symbolize a child's inner self.  The black heart impresses children with a deeply personal sense of their own inadequacy and sordidness."

This doesn't symbolize anything except how utterly despicable these evangelicals are.  Take a child, shatter their self-esteem with such tripe, and of course they'll cleave to your beliefs if it lets them reclaim it.