Author Topic: If only life were really like this  (Read 172 times)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +752/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
If only life were really like this
« on: July 25, 2014, 08:21:35 AM »
A cute short story about the effect scientific ignorance SHOULD have on a persons life.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v489/n7414/full/489170a.html

I wish…
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline frank callaway

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-20
  • it's a bird, it's a shark... you're fucked
Re: If only life were really like this
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 01:32:31 PM »
“I never heard anything so ridiculous! Who decided that?”

“The Universe.”

sorry, i couldn't get past this point... the "universe" decided... really?  unfortunately, the universe is dead, full of pitiless indifference.
When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.

-Jonathan Swift

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 01:39:06 PM »

“The Universe.”

sorry, i couldn't get past this point... the "universe" decided... really?  unfortunately, the universe is dead, full of pitiless indifference.

Metaphor? Adjusting your speech to the listener in order to convey the information you want to more effectively?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 01:43:39 PM »

“The Universe.”

That was the point the good Doctor was trying to make though. Because of the fact that she was no longer allowed any science he would just appeal to "magic" or mysterious things, in order to show her how utterly absurd her views were.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Online xyzzy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • "Nothing happens"
    • xyzzy
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 08:35:40 PM »

“The Universe.”

Ah, I think I can explain.

New Agers, and sometimes those that claim to be spiritual but not religious[1], will often anthropomorphize "The Universe" - aka "god" but without all that rather embarrassing O.T. violence, misogyny, and Bronze-Age practices - as a means of explaining or justifying their magical, sorry spiritual, beliefs and practices.

tl;dr, it was a piss-take at a group that is often vocally-proud of "denying science".[2]

"Magic" story though. Thanks for posting it PP!.
 1. Yet nonetheless believe in a version of "god" that seems remarkably like a SPAGed version of the god they used to believe in.
 2. See So-Called Alternative Medicine for examples.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:38:01 PM by xyzzy »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool -- Richard Feynman
You are in a maze of twisty little religions, all alike -- xyzzy