Author Topic: Nat Geo: Triple Monster Black Hole  (Read 249 times)

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
Nat Geo: Triple Monster Black Hole
« on: July 04, 2014, 06:49:30 PM »
The discovery of a trio of jumbo black holes circling the center of a distant galaxy, reported by astronomers on Wednesday, suggests that pairs or triplets of such monsters may be surprisingly common.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/06/140625-triple-black-hole-astronomy-science/?utm_source=NatGeocom&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=inside_20140703&utm_campaign=Content
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: Nat Geo: Triple Monster Black Hole
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 09:57:34 PM »
The energy and mass bound up in those objects is staggering to think about. Some SF writers have used the idea that advanced spacefaring civilizations gather at the cores of galaxies over time, either because stars are relatively close together there, or to make use of the central black holes themselves.

Thanks, schnozz.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +28/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 11:11:34 PM »
Can some one help me understand what happens as two black holes merge? Do they just "poof" together?
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 01:08:12 AM »
^^^Good question, Defiance. A quick search for "what happens when black holes merge" brought up a couple of links to start with:
http://www.universetoday.com/97686/what-happens-when-supermassive-black-holes-merge/
http://io9.com/5525150/what-happens-when-black-holes-combine

One thing that's essential to keep in mind is that black holes aren't solid or plasma, like planets or stars. They're points of nearly inconceivable density: hundreds, sometimes millions of solar masses compressed by their own gravity into tiny (for their mass) volumes. The interaction of the magnetic fields and accretion discs (the infalling matter orbiting the holes) of such objects is much more dramatic and detectable, as the articles point out, than the merger of the black holes themselves.

It isn't clear what you mean by "poof", but the models and observations show that merging singularities make the immediate neighborhood (out to quite a distance, if they're galactic-core sized) very unhealthy for life as we know it. Lots of hard radiation and heat emitted by the colliding accretion discs, tidal forces from the nearing singularities... Yow.

Something best admired and studied at a safe distance, to be sure.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +107/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 12:15:26 AM »
WTF happens to time in between these monsters?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 01:04:58 AM »
Yeah, well...some scientists argue that black holes may not even exist...or at least, haven't been proven to exist. Much ado about nothing?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +28/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 09:20:03 PM »
Yeah, well...some scientists argue that black holes may not even exist...or at least, haven't been proven to exist. Much ado about nothing?
And how do they explain, say, strangely strong gravity around which stars revolve? The fact that supermassive stars become black holes, do they disagree with that? Quasars?
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.