Author Topic: World’s Worst Predictions  (Read 5423 times)

Offline Count Iblis

Re: World’s Worst Predictions
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2008, 07:13:20 PM »
No one has (or ever will) give me a reason to deny God.

Whats the worst that could happen? Death?

One- way ticket to heaven!

What if the Muslims are right? What are you going to say to Allah when he demands to know why you turned one of his prophets into a god?
Religion is an act of sedition against reason.--P.Z. Myers

To find out more about the Evil Atheist Conspiracy visit http://www.atheistthinktank.net/

you know, hell is going to be so jammed full of lying Christians that I fear I will never get in.  --velkyn

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2008, 03:50:18 AM »
Reading this I keep coming back to one question:

Say I am a serial killer murdering for whatever personnel reason. If I accept and love Jesus will he accept me despite my sins?

Side note, would it be easier for him (Jesus) if I only kill sinners who god hates? Or would it even be a sin if I killed people cursed by the bible?

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2008, 04:33:35 AM »
I would like to remind forum members that the thread topic is "World's Worst Predictions", not "Pascal's Wager" or "dnc100589's assertions about reality".

Thank you.

Thirteen
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 04:36:47 AM by Moderator_013 »
Inactive moderator account.

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2008, 05:18:22 AM »
Oooohhh....

I'd just set up  choke slam...

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2008, 02:08:15 PM »
well, to get back to the subject.  I want my flying car!  So much for those predictions. 

some cool images of the covers when we thought we could do anything

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/covers/

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline dnc100589

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2008, 04:11:55 PM »
[modbreak=Edited by Moderator_013]Moderator note: Off-topic material removed. See following moderator message.[/modbreak]

Anyway, back to the "world's worst predictions".

(I believe that the side topic started when someone made a comment about Jesus' claims about returning again to set up His earthly kingdom and how that also belonged on the list.)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:36:38 PM by Moderator_013 »

Offline JehWit_survivor

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2008, 04:21:23 PM »
I have a horrible prediction for everyone.

in 1972 the governing body of the jehovah's witnesses predicted the end of the world would come in 1975. Considering 33 years have passed I think that was a bad prediction...

;D
"religion is a neurological disorder"
Bill Maher

Offline Freezykow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • "For the love of money is the root of all evil"
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2008, 05:46:37 PM »
^^^^^^isnt' it amazing on what you can do if you make up the context and make baseless assumptions!

People don't go around lying and performing miracles.

Yes they do, what about all the people who have claimed to be the 2nd coming of jesus? How about all those people who claim to perform miracles on tv? The power of money has a great effect on people's faith.
?
I can't recall Jesus being on TV. It seems his works carried on for thouands of peoples testimonies. True "For the love of money is the root of all evil"
When the power of love, overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. – Jimi Hendrix

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2008, 08:37:16 PM »
It seems that at least one forum member didn't get the hint the first time.

In accordance with rule 13 (Topicality), I would request that forum members please take discussion of Pascal's Wager to an appropriate section of the forum. Also, in accordance with rule 11 (Trolling), continued attempts to derail the thread - which includes attempts to "get the last word in" - are frowned upon.

Future off-topic posts will be subject to Moderator Edits and/or deletion.

Thank you.

Thirteen

(Where's those robot housemaids?)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:41:33 PM by Moderator_013 »

Offline dnc100589

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2008, 12:38:53 AM »
Sorry about that.

Offline Grogs

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2008, 11:26:17 AM »
I think the OP really dropped the ball by leaving this one out:

All that remains to do in physics is fill in the sixth decimal place.
- Albert Michelson, 1894, Nobel Laureate

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2008, 12:10:59 PM »
I think someone in IBM once predicted that the world would only ever need four computers, too.

Of course, that was before the advent of home computers. :)

Offline Tails_155

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • L!5
    • The Enigma Puzzle
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2008, 11:41:07 AM »

640K ought to be enough for anybody.
- Bill Gates, 1981

Though it refers to memory... it's also funny in the context of money :P
Live! Learn! Laugh! Love! Lead!

I'm not all analysis, I like art, too: See?

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2008, 04:05:33 PM »
Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Well my laptop only weighs 300 pounds. (not including 50 pound battery)
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Ouabache

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Godless heathen
    • ChaoSkeptic
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »
I have a horrible prediction for everyone.

in 1972 the governing body of the jehovah's witnesses predicted the end of the world would come in 1975. Considering 33 years have passed I think that was a bad prediction...

;D

"Monkey wants the food pellet, monkey pushes the button." -The Good Reverend Roger

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2008, 06:07:41 PM »
You could probably find one of those posters for every year since the printing press was invented.  [/sarcasm]   ;)

Welcome to the forum, Ouabache.
"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-32
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2008, 06:34:20 PM »
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Ouabache

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Godless heathen
    • ChaoSkeptic
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2008, 06:52:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Ouabache.
Thank you. I always like to make a grand entrance.   ;D
"Monkey wants the food pellet, monkey pushes the button." -The Good Reverend Roger

Offline kevyrat69

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • oh rats.
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2008, 11:38:09 PM »
Okay I have some here you might like and it is on the subject and it also says where I got it.  I hope it is okay and they are funny.

DECEMBER 10, 2008 12:21PM
Ten Worst Predictions for 2008 - via Politico
 Rate: 13 Flag                DESSERT -- THE 10 WORST PREDICTIONS FOR 2008, as chosen by Foreign Policy magazine, under the new editorship of Susan Glasser.

1. 'If [Hillary Clinton] gets a race against John Edwards and Barack Obama, she's going to be the nominee. Gore is the only threat to her, then. ... Barack Obama is not going to beat Hillary Clinton in a single Democratic primary. I'll predict that right now.' -William Kristol, Fox News Sunday, Dec. 17, 2006

2. 'Peter writes: 'Should I be worried about Bear Stearns in terms of liquidity and get my money out of there?' No! No! No! Bear Stearns is fine! Do not take your money out. ... Bear Stearns is not in trouble. I mean, if anything they're more likely to be taken over. Don't move your money from Bear! That's just being silly! Don't be silly!' -Jim Cramer, responding to a viewer's e-mail on CNBC's Mad Money, March 11, 2008

3. '[In] reality the risks to maritime flows of oil are far smaller than is commonly assumed. First, tankers are much less vulnerable than conventional wisdom holds. Second, limited regional conflicts would be unlikely to seriously upset traffic, and terrorist attacks against shipping would have even less of an economic effect. Third, only a naval power of the United States' strength could seriously disrupt oil shipments.' -Dennis Blair and Kenneth Lieberthal, Foreign Affairs, May/June 2007

4. '[A]nyone who says we're in a recession, or heading into one-especially the worst one since the Great Depression-is making up his own private definition of 'recession.' -Donald Luskin, The Washington Post, Sept. 14, 2008

5. 'For all its flaws, an example to others.' -The Economist on Kenya's presidential election, Dec. 19, 2007

6. 'New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg will enter the Presidential race in February, after it becomes clear which nominees will get the nod from the major parties. His multiple billions and organization will impress voters-and stun rivals. He'll look like the most viable third-party candidate since Teddy Roosevelt. But Bloomberg will come up short, as he comes in for withering attacks from both Democrats and Republicans. He and Clinton will split more than 50% of the votes, but Arizona's maverick senator, John McCain, will end up the country's next President.' –Business Week, Jan. 2, 2008

7. 'There is a real possibility of creating destructive theoretical anomalies such as miniature black holes, strangelets and deSitter space transitions. These events have the potential to fundamentally alter matter and destroy our planet.' -Walter Wagner, LHCDefense.org
Foreign Policy: 't appears that we are still here.'

8. 'The possibility of $150-$200 per barrel seems increasingly likely over the next six-24 months.' -Arjun Murti, Goldman Sachs oil analyst, in a May 5, 2008, report

9. 'It starts with the taking over of South Ossetia and Abkhazia, which has already happened. It goes on to the destruction of the Georgian armed forces, which is now happening. The third [development] will probably be the replacement of the elected government, which is pro-Western, with a puppet government, which will probably follow in a week or two.' -Charles Krauthammer, Fox News, Aug. 11, 2008

10. 'I believe the banking system has been stabilized. No one is asking themselves anymore, is there some major institution that might fail and that we would not be able to do anything about it.' -Henry Paulson on National Public Radio, Nov. 13, 2008

So anything you all wanna predict for 2009?  Huh?  Any morsel of clarity?  Just wondering.
http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/

whatever people are experiencing when they experience God, it's not something they're perceiving in the external world. It's something their brains are making up.
Greta Christina

Offline Buster Fixxitt

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Full-blown Antitheist.
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2008, 12:22:48 AM »
Here's an oldie but a goodie, and one you may not have ever heard about since it's more of a Canadian tale.

October 15, 1954 weather forecast for Toronto, Ontario: "Rain tonight."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Hazel#Canada

"When I was a child my mom put a picture up in my room of a chihuahua with big scary eyes, and I begged her to take it down. She said she couldn't, or the devil-clown under my bed would kill her." - Bug-Eyed Earl, Red Meat.

Offline spetznatz

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • It's all Bollocks...
    • Architectural Visualisation
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2008, 03:01:33 PM »
We had one of those as well:

BBC: No hurricane

Mother nature: hurricane.
http://vizarch.blogspot.com  
"Trifles, light as air, are to the zealous confirmation strong as proofs of holy writ."

Offline Buster Fixxitt

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Full-blown Antitheist.
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2008, 01:31:32 AM »
We had one of those as well:

BBC: No hurricane

Mother nature: hurricane.

Nice!  Well, technically the weatherman was right - it could not have been a hurricane, since the word hurricane is specific to TROPICAL cyclones.  Lovely as Britain is, tropical it ain't.

Curious that both of these (your example and mine) should happen on October 15th?  I'm sure there's a good meteoro-theological reason for it, though.

Probably the Jews fault as well, I should think. ;)
"When I was a child my mom put a picture up in my room of a chihuahua with big scary eyes, and I begged her to take it down. She said she couldn't, or the devil-clown under my bed would kill her." - Bug-Eyed Earl, Red Meat.