Author Topic: Rational? [#2815]  (Read 330 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Rational? [#2815]
« on: July 12, 2014, 04:51:11 PM »
Dear Group,

For a group that purports to be rational, you spend way too much time and effort trying to unseat something that is actually good. How rational is that - particularly when there are more pressing issues?

Why doesn't God heal amputees?  That's something you'll get an opportunity to ask Him in person.  Sooner than you think!

God bless!
[name removed]
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Rational? [#2815]
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 04:55:10 PM »
For a group that purports to be rational, you spend way too much time and effort trying to unseat something that is actually good. How rational is that - particularly when there are more pressing issues?

You mean like christians burning children alive in Africa, or Muslim extremists killing everyone they feel like, or christians denying equal rights to every group and breaking the law with impunity in the USA, as well as advocating the murder of millions in the USA alone? Yeah... Theism is all good.

Why doesn't God heal amputees?  That's something you'll get an opportunity to ask Him in person.  Sooner than you think!

Is this supposed to be a death threat, or another fake "prophecy"? If you want me dead, fly over to my country. I'll meet you at the airport. You can use whatever weapons you can smuggle here. I won't be using any, of course, aside from my own body (arms, hands, legs, feet, head, brain, and so on).

God bless!
[name removed]

You misspelled "Zeus". The Sky God is not going to be happy about that.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:17:35 PM by One Above All »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Online Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 05:05:58 PM »
Dear Group,

What could possibly a more pressing issue than that of eternal life? :)

First of all, you're already claiming your god is good, when in fact he she it is yet to even be proven to exist. Prove his existence and then talk about his properties. Sign up for wwgha and refer to my topic "Challenge to any theist to prove the existence of god". Then once you accomplish that, then you can prove that he she it is actually good.

But oh well, the chances of a theist proving the existence of god is zero, because god is imaginary.

And you can't prove that he exists, therefore you can't tell any one of us why he doesn't do something.

If your faith is strong, come debate on my thread mentioned above, and see how fast you rage quit.

God bless!
[name removed]

God doesn't exist, therefore he cant bless anybody or anything.
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 05:34:25 PM »
Dear Group,

You spend time addressing a question, then proceed to avoid answering it.  How rational is that?

God bless!
[name removed]

http://powerpuff.wikia.com/wiki/HIM
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 06:12:40 PM »
An irrational belief in a god, and all the shit that gets carried out in this god's name is the most pressing issue that society has ever faced.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +904/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 07:35:30 PM »
Being rational does not mean you automatically have all the answers. It means you will try to consider all logically consistent possibilities to arrive at the best answer. Whether religion is good or not is a topic for debate, which is what we do here. A lot.

When a religion gives us some logically consistent possibilities as to why god doesn't heal amputees we will be more than happy to entertain them. As it is, all people like the OP can do is try to distract us from the fact that they have no answers and make veiled threats about what will happen to us meanies when their big brother god shows up on the playground. &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 08:22:51 PM »
An irrational belief in a god, and all the shit that gets carried out in this god's name is the most pressing issue that society has ever faced.

I vote for overpopulation myself.
   Can there be a rational belief in god?
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 09:54:34 AM »
Couple things.  Well, 4 really.

1.  When you first hear it - why won't god heal amputees?  - you think, what the heck?  But after studying the web site questions, you will realize the idea comes from the ambiguity of prayer.  As a proof of the possibility that no god exists, comparing the answered healing prayer of, say, a cancer patient, to the answered prayer of an amputee is a way to remove ambiguity.  Understand?

2.  I hear the view that there are more pressing things than this debate.  But when you think of the effect worldwide of extreme Islamic views, or Hobby Lobby vs. government health care, or the ideas affecting how science should be in U.S. schools, or in fact whether it is right to teach women in any school, as some Islamic views dictate,  or how many countries treat their aboriginal peoples based on someone's perceptions of correct beliefs and customs, doesn't this debate cut to the heart of most important world issues?

3.  There is also the simple idea of truth, and the pure debate of what the truth is, and realizing the importance of discovering it.

4.  Become a member, and convince us why your belief that god is good is more important than the belief that religion is hurting society.   
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 07:02:17 PM »
   I vote for overpopulation myself.
Then "Be fruitful and multiply" should be an important issue, no? ;)
   Can there be a rational belief in god?
Sure. If an actual god comes down and establishes its existence, then it would be irrational not to believe in it.

Mind you, I'm not holding my breath...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:04:11 PM by dloubet »
Denis Loubet