Author Topic: why do xians go to the doctor?  (Read 525 times)

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +276/-31
Re: why do xians go to the doctor?
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 10:32:47 PM »
It appears the quality of critical thinking questions on this forum is going downhill fast.  :(

It's an "eh!" topic.  Seek and ye shall find.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 10:34:29 PM »
I don't know, what church do you follow?

Jesus.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 11:33:58 PM »
I don't know, what church do you follow?

Jesus.
Right. Which you learned from the bible. Which was compiled by that demon church you don't follow.
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 11:40:04 PM »
Right. Which you learned from the bible. Which was compiled by that demon church you don't follow.

No. Jesus said those things long before the Catholic Church was in existence.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +276/-31
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2014, 11:43:06 PM »

The things you're no doubt referring to[1] were selected for inclusion in that book by the Catholic Church.
 1. Stuff in the bible, right?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2014, 11:45:49 PM »

And you know this because the Catholic Church complied the bible...and you read it.
"God is just and fair"

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2014, 11:46:33 PM »
The things you're no doubt referring to[1] were selected for inclusion in that book by the Catholic Church.
 1. Stuff in the bible, right?

Doesn't matter. A Church in Corinth had Paul's letters. No Catholic Church C needed.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +276/-31
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2014, 11:47:53 PM »
Paul didn't have any words by Jesus.  Paul never met Jesus.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2014, 11:49:51 PM »
Paul didn't have any words by Jesus.  Paul never met Jesus.

Yes, he did.....on the road to Damascus. He spoke with Jesus.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +276/-31
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2014, 11:51:36 PM »
Says the letter.  Which you believe because you were taught to.

In reality, we have Paul claiming that he had telepathic communication with a dead man.  People who do that today tend only to be believed among the kooks who believe in seances and such.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2014, 11:53:27 PM »

What's the alternative? He made it up for no reason? He was persecuting Christians and scoffing at them and then just decides to stop doing that for no reason whatsoever?

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +276/-31
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2014, 11:55:20 PM »
Probably for the same reason he had to make up the conversation with Jesus.

Interesting how it worked out in the end, eh?  Paul becomes the practical center of the new religion with Jesus as figurehead.  The Catholic Church is born.

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2014, 11:56:23 PM »

What's the alternative? He made it up for no reason? He was persecuting Christians and scoffing at them and then just decides to stop doing that for no reason whatsoever?
Little suggestion; do you know the popularity you would gain if you say you literally had a face to face convo with God('s son) himself?
"God is just and fair"

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2014, 05:10:44 AM »
i like this thought,what about the Christian who ignores the symptoms and does not get to the doctor? When he dies from a preventable ailment or illness it must be part of Gods plan as well

Those are true believers, as their survival instinct just wasn't strong enough to override their beliefs.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
  • You know
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2014, 08:36:51 AM »
The very first canon was compiled by Marcion, who the Catholic Church labelled a heretic.  It contained a version of Luke and some of Paul's letters.  The material that became the Bible was available to Christians long before the Church formalized their canon.  Skep is right about that.  Though I'd be interested in knowing whether or not he accepts any of the apocrypha or conversely if there's any material currently considered canon that he thinks should be rethought.
Nah son...

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2014, 12:33:36 PM »

Nobody wrote down what Jesus said,they filled his mouth with words long after he was dead. When were the first writings of Jesus and his adventures? how long after he was dead did the Gospel writers start quoting him? here-say all of it
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »
i like this thought,what about the Christian who ignores the symptoms and does not get to the doctor? When he dies from a preventable ailment or illness it must be part of Gods plan as well

Those are true believers, as their survival instinct just wasn't strong enough to override their beliefs.
otherwise known as a Darwin award
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
  • You know
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2014, 01:39:47 PM »
Nobody wrote down what Jesus said,they filled his mouth with words long after he was dead. When were the first writings of Jesus and his adventures? how long after he was dead did the Gospel writers start quoting him? here-say all of it

My understanding is that most scholarship places Mark before the fall of Jerusalem in 70 AD.  Most scholars also believe that Mark and Matthew share a source, Q, which is a compilation of sayings attributed to Jesus. The earliest material is believed to come from Paul, but Paul only claimed to have an experience of the risen Christ.  So all of that is a few decades after his death.  John is considered the latest Gospel and conservative scholars place it some decades after Mark.  So yeah, the Gospels are closer to their source than a lot of ancient religious or historical texts but as modern people it's hard to have a lot of confidence that Jesus actually said anything attributed to him.
Nah son...

Offline Jeltz

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2014, 08:35:25 PM »
Skeptic has done an excellent job of derailing this topic.

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2014, 06:49:50 PM »
Here is a direct quote from my cousin on Facebook today:

At 10 am Samantha, my daughter-in-love,begins her treatment to FIGHT her breast cancer! Please join us in prayer that God will heal this and He will get all the Glory!

All the supporting remarks were about praying, etc.  Mine just said, "Good thoughts for you daughter-in-law and her doctors!"

Sheesh cousin, seriously?  Medical knowledge and science will cure your DIL, not prayers or God.

My cousin is a college educated woman but is deep, deep in Jesus love.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2014, 08:16:41 PM »
An acquaintance had a post recently on FB about her grandfather and a stunning recovery, complete with picture and the words "with God, all things are possible". It was interesting to note that no mention was made of the medical staff, or the hospital (where the posted photos were taken, with grandpa hooked up to several monitors and drip lines). Just thanking god for a "miracle" created by people with medical degrees and a workspace designed to prolong human life.

Funny how God's "miracles" seem to keep pace with human innovation, innit?

Skeptic has done an excellent job of derailing this topic.

It's his specialty[1], and it works like a charm.
 1. Well, that, and the endless repetition of the same refuted arguments, almost like clockwork or auto repeat. I really wish he'd think up some new material, or watch some new videos for "ideas"
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2014, 08:24:02 PM »

nobody wrote down what Jesus said as he was saying it.....first writings were around 70ad