Author Topic: JW's change tactic  (Read 304 times)

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
JW's change tactic
« on: July 08, 2014, 06:41:16 AM »
It seems the JW's aren't door knockers anymore. Shame really as I used to love inviting them in.
JW: Have you found Jesus?
Me: Yes! He's just out the back having a smoke at the moment. Do you want to come in and talk to him?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28166192

I found it interesting what the former JW had to say

But Scott Terry, a former Jehovah's Witness for 14 years and author of Cowboys, Armageddon, and The Truth: How a Gay Child Was Saved from Religion, believes that a widespread apathy towards door-to-door ministry is behind this latest approach.

"Many of the Jehovah's Witnesses I know detest door-to-door work," says Terry. "Yet they are required to turn in their time cards each month to prove that they have spent the required hours preaching. I know Jehovah's Witnesses who go to great lengths to stretch those hours by including time spent in the car, travelling to the designated neighbourhoods.

All in all I think this is a move in the right direction as I would imagine that most people (in the UK at least) don't really want to be bothered by god botherers when at home.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: JW's change tactic
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 06:43:26 AM »
BM.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +112/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 08:23:30 AM »
It seems the JW's aren't door knockers anymore.

All in all I think this is a move in the right direction as I would imagine that most people (in the UK at least) don't really want to be bothered by god botherers when at home.

Most people also don't like JWs turning up with film cameras on their doorstep, thank you very much.
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 08:47:29 AM »
You can hardly blame them, no one likes rejection and probably plenty of outright hostility they must receive.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 09:04:47 AM »
If we want your god we'll buy him off of Amazon. The rest of the door-to-door salesmen realized this some time back.
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 10:17:06 AM »
You can hardly blame them, no one likes rejection and probably plenty of outright hostility they must receive.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the only way to keep them from coming back and annoying the hell out of you. I was nice to the first pair of Jehovah's Witnesses who came knocking at my door. I told them that I was an atheist, but still heard what they had to say. They left. Then (less than a year later, IIRC) another pair came. Same thing happened, except they came back the next week - same day, same time. And the week after that. I had made up my mind to tell them to fuck off the week after that, since they said they'd be back (Terminator-style and everything), but I was absent that time, and they haven't returned since.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 11:20:23 AM »
I know it's rude to 'reject' someone before they even say a word, but I find the tactic of knocking on the door of my personal home to be intrusive. Anyone looks like they are with a religion or carrying a clipboard for any kind of petition or donation, I tell them I will not talk to them at my home. Puts you at a total disadvantage when they invade your territory.

For every door a JW knocks on, he should be prepared to have another evangelist from a different religion come to his own door and talk with him (great idea...keep them all busy knocking at each others' doors, discussing this nonsense with each other...not bothering anyone else).

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 12:05:22 PM »
They left. Then (less than a year later, IIRC) another pair came. Same thing happened, except they came back the next week - same day, same time. And the week after that.

That is how they make their quota of "witnessing hours".  If they find someone willing to listen, or who is at least nice to them, they return.  It is so much easier than knocking on more doors.

That might be a viable way to flip them back to the light side of the Force.  Get them coming back.  Be nice to them.  Give them water, tea, maybe a snack.  Make them like you before showing them how stupid and wrong their dumb religion is.

I tell them I will not talk to them at my home. Puts you at a total disadvantage when they invade your territory.

I disagree.  I think it puts them at the disadvantage.  They are there at your pleasure.  On your home field.  You have total control.  You can boot them at any time.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 02:50:42 PM »
In my experience, "I find questions about my personal faith to be as invasive as if you are asking me about my sex life, and just as offensive and inappropriate" tends to end the conversation pretty quickly.

My daughter got caught in a JW door knock fest while I was somewhere else, and we got targeted every few weeks for several months. The above quote is what I said when they finally arrived at a time when I was home to answer the door. Never saw them again.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 04:03:58 PM »
If this is true, I am majorly bummed out.  :(

I spent too many weekend hours going house to house with JW literature for them to give up on it now. How will JW young people get that all-important feeling of continual rejection needed to develop and sustain the persecution complex? If you are not being persecuted, because you are not actively putting yourself in people's faces, how can you tell that you are really the people Jehovah has chosen to be his Witnesses?

There was a song that we sang in the Kingdom Hall about going "from house to house and door to door". Are they going to ax that one from the song book? Say it isn't so!

The fact that most people don't really give enough of a damn about your faith to seek you out and persecute you must be galling to JW's in liberal countries. Gotta move to North Korea....
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 04:29:35 AM »
nogodsforme I agree, I have seen them standing next to their shelves of literature on street corners looking all forlorn and un-persecuted.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 07:04:12 AM »
I have to admit I find the JWs less annoying than the guys who keep trying to con me in to changing electricity billers.  At least the religious people aren't lying on purpose.  They think they're telling the truth whereas the electric guys are running a deliberate scam that is for some reason legal.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.