Author Topic: is hell the negation of heaven or a positive something  (Read 127 times)

Offline eh!

• Fellow
  • Darwins +163/-51
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
is hell the negation of heaven or a positive something
« on: July 07, 2014, 04:03:24 AM »
I here xians that say not choosing god is choosing hell. am assuming both exist.  when heaven is defined as such it makes it ambiguous.

Like if i am ok now but by taking the red pill i can be super duper. Is heaven like that. and do modern xians believe there is an actual lake of fire?
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +334/-38
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: is hell the negation of heaven or a positive something
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 04:17:19 AM »
Some theists do indeed believe in a literal hell. They believe the threat of something someone doesn't believe in is a good way to convert someone into a false religion (or, put in another way, a religion). It also gives them pleasure to imagine the non-believers suffering for eternity while they're "safe" in Heaven. They're sadists, basically. They'd probably kill their family in the most painful way imaginable if they believed it gave them a better chance at entering the fairy realm.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, Son of Fire, Sol Invictus.

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:48:34 AM »
Some theists do indeed believe in a literal hell. They believe the threat of something someone doesn't believe in is a good way to convert someone into a false religion (or, put in another way, a religion). It also gives them pleasure to imagine the non-believers suffering for eternity while they're "safe" in Heaven. They're sadists, basically. They'd probably kill their family in the most painful way imaginable if they believed it gave them a better chance at entering the fairy realm.

Unfortunately, you are correct.  I have gone from a belief in Hell to deciding it does not exist.  I cannot reconcile a caring God sending people to a place of eternal torment.  No, I cannot prove that belief but that is where I am at this point in time. 

As always,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +334/-38
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 06:53:06 AM »
Unfortunately, you are correct.  I have gone from a belief in Hell to deciding it does not exist.  I cannot reconcile a caring God sending people to a place of eternal torment.  No, I cannot prove that belief but that is where I am at this point in time. 

So, in your opinion, what happens to bad people? And what happens to non-believers who were good?

As always,

OldChurchGuy

About to finish the preparations for lunch (mixed meatballs - made of pork and beef),

One
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, Son of Fire, Sol Invictus.

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 07:44:12 AM »

So, in your opinion, what happens to bad people? And what happens to non-believers who were good?

As always,

OldChurchGuy

About to finish the preparations for lunch (mixed meatballs - made of pork and beef),

One

I honestly don't know what happens.  Perhaps it is a cop-out on my part, but it seems to me that passing judgment on a person's eternal destiny is way beyond the capability of this mere mortal.  I leave it up to God to make that call. 

Hope you enjoy your lunch. 

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama