Author Topic: is hell the negation of heaven or a positive something  (Read 104 times)

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-37
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
is hell the negation of heaven or a positive something
« on: July 07, 2014, 04:03:24 AM »
I here xians that say not choosing god is choosing hell. am assuming both exist.  when heaven is defined as such it makes it ambiguous.

Like if i am ok now but by taking the red pill i can be super duper. Is heaven like that. and do modern xians believe there is an actual lake of fire?
Signature goes here...

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: is hell the negation of heaven or a positive something
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 04:17:19 AM »
Some theists do indeed believe in a literal hell. They believe the threat of something someone doesn't believe in is a good way to convert someone into a false religion (or, put in another way, a religion). It also gives them pleasure to imagine the non-believers suffering for eternity while they're "safe" in Heaven. They're sadists, basically. They'd probably kill their family in the most painful way imaginable if they believed it gave them a better chance at entering the fairy realm.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +102/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:48:34 AM »
Some theists do indeed believe in a literal hell. They believe the threat of something someone doesn't believe in is a good way to convert someone into a false religion (or, put in another way, a religion). It also gives them pleasure to imagine the non-believers suffering for eternity while they're "safe" in Heaven. They're sadists, basically. They'd probably kill their family in the most painful way imaginable if they believed it gave them a better chance at entering the fairy realm.

Unfortunately, you are correct.  I have gone from a belief in Hell to deciding it does not exist.  I cannot reconcile a caring God sending people to a place of eternal torment.  No, I cannot prove that belief but that is where I am at this point in time. 

As always,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 06:53:06 AM »
Unfortunately, you are correct.  I have gone from a belief in Hell to deciding it does not exist.  I cannot reconcile a caring God sending people to a place of eternal torment.  No, I cannot prove that belief but that is where I am at this point in time. 

So, in your opinion, what happens to bad people? And what happens to non-believers who were good?

As always,

OldChurchGuy

About to finish the preparations for lunch (mixed meatballs - made of pork and beef),

One
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +102/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 07:44:12 AM »

So, in your opinion, what happens to bad people? And what happens to non-believers who were good?

As always,

OldChurchGuy

About to finish the preparations for lunch (mixed meatballs - made of pork and beef),

One

I honestly don't know what happens.  Perhaps it is a cop-out on my part, but it seems to me that passing judgment on a person's eternal destiny is way beyond the capability of this mere mortal.  I leave it up to God to make that call. 

Hope you enjoy your lunch. 

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama