Author Topic: Job suffered more than Jesus  (Read 1851 times)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Job suffered more than Jesus
« on: July 06, 2014, 01:03:31 PM »
Job lost his family,livestock and everything else he had in his life,he had to watch all that he loved suffer and die. Jesus get ridiculed and demonized( for lack of better words) for trying to establish a religion. He hardly suffered like Job did.

In the end he became a nuisance to the Romans and was disposed of like any other nuisance during that time,the only suffering he did was dying on a cross,like many others did. While  Job endured torture of seeing his entire life disappear,his faith in his God truly tested. Then there's Jesus dying on the cross like a common criminal asking his father" why have you forsaken me"?  It appears Job had much more faith in his god than Jesus did.

Old topic,new Christian guests to ask
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Job suffered more than Jesus
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 01:05:55 PM »
BM.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-109
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 06:28:55 PM »
Job is one of the finest examples of human love, selflessness, and integrity.
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 06:31:11 PM »

Given that he's a finer example than Jesus, as proven in the OP and not refuted by you, who's better than Job? Or are you just dodging?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-109
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 06:49:16 PM »

Given that he's a finer example than Jesus, as proven in the OP and not refuted by you, who's better than Job? Or are you just dodging?

A finer example for what?  How to endure suffering with integrity?
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 06:55:33 PM »

Hm... I'm guessing English is not your first language, or you had a seizure that erased your short-term memory. It's OK, though. Read your post - the innermost quote in this post. Then read my reply to it. Then get back to me once you've figured it out.
We choose our own gods.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 07:43:02 PM »
The backbone of your stupid religion is how much Jesus suffered. Job was punished by God far worse than Jesus suffered at the hands of men. In the last days maybe, being executed can't be fun. I would imagine having your entire life destroyed so God could win a wager to be much worse. And it was God who allows it for shirts and giggles
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +62/-32
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 07:59:24 PM »
Did job make himself from himself for the specific purpose of killing himself for himself to go back to heaven to be with himself??
Signature goes here...

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +62/-32
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 08:01:38 PM »
Did god feel jesus physical pain on the cross and was he just talking to himself when he cried out to the father which is himself ..... wait now i am confused.
Signature goes here...

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 08:02:27 PM »

Jesus suffered far less than Job,and upon the little suffering he did turned his back on God and asked,why have you forsaken me,Job never did,Jesus was far less a man than Job,or he new he was not a Messiah.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 08:09:43 PM »
Did job make himself from himself for the specific purpose of killing himself for himself to go back to heaven to be with himself??
I doubt it,so that would make Job's suffering much worse because he had no knowledge or foresight of what was to come. If Jesus had knowledge of what he was for and where he would go,where is the suffering?

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +62/-32
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 08:15:05 PM »
Jesus 12 you make jesus suffering seem like a short term inconvenience .
Signature goes here...

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 08:24:41 PM »
Jesus 12 you make jesus suffering seem like a short term inconvenience .
when you compare it to Job,it was a weekend getaway. For the story to have Merritt ,judas turned him in,and he was executed,not fun I would say,knowing the outcome however makes it nothing compared to the suffering Job did at the hand of his God. For the simple pleasure of winning a wager God punished Job

Online Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 09:46:07 PM »
Job lost his family,livestock and everything else he had in his life,he had to watch all that he loved suffer and die. Jesus get ridiculed and demonized( for lack of better words) for trying to establish a religion. He hardly suffered like Job did.

You forgot to mention that Job didn't believe there was an afterlife, or any point to bother suffering.

The reason Job didn't suicide, I guess, is because he was fictitious, and the author didn't want the story to evolve that way. This is a common problem with fiction - often the characters do stupid things.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 11:00:04 PM »
   This is a common refrain from Christians that somehow Jesus suffered more on the cross than anyone, anywhere or anytime did. And for this he "died for our sins". First of all I can't  imagine that someone else didn't experience the same or worse. Crucifixion was a common practice at the time and there were plenty of other forms of execution/torture over the millennia that we're no walk in the park. I can't remember whose post it was about the Persian torture whereby some unfortunate individual was wrapped up in a blanket and thrown into a swamp alive to rot to death.
     Secondly is the idea that hey Jesus didn't die after all but is alive and we'll up in heaven no worse for wear. You know the quote: Jesus didn't die for our sins he just had a really bad weekend for our sins.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 11:40:36 PM »

You forgot to mention that Job didn't believe there was an afterlife, or any point to bother suffering.

The reason Job didn't suicide, I guess, is because he was fictitious, and the author didn't want the story to evolve that way. This is a common problem with fiction - often the characters do stupid things.
being that he was praying to the vengeful Jewish God,no afterlife there,no reuniting with his wife and kids in the afterlife.......just God going full length with someone's entire life for a wager

Online skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-435
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 01:38:31 AM »
What is so bad about enduring through suffering? Would the atheists prefer the motto of, "When things get too hard, just quit?"

Job didn't quit.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 02:00:54 AM »
Much as it's been interesting having Skep here I do tend to agree with Natlegend about Skep's posting here. Once again he has deliberately avoided the question, I don't think Christians are as bad as this.
I know we need more Christians to take part here, but I think he's an atheist trying to take the p*ss
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +62/-32
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 02:03:14 AM »
I think skep is nam fukin with us.
Signature goes here...

Online skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-435
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 02:14:41 AM »
Cmon guys, stay on topic. If you can't refute it, don't just say "He's lying!"
It looks like you don't have a rebuttal when you do that.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 02:46:53 AM »
Mods; please do something about this troll.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +406/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 08:19:20 AM »
Oh yeah?  Did Jesus get a set of super-hot 2.0 daughters given to him after the Resurrection?  Yeah, I didn't think so.  Job's Consolation Prize Replacement Daughters must have been worth a fortune on B.C.-Bay.  Sure, Jesus got to start a zombie apocalypse[1] and say "Beam me up, Scotty" in Aramaic, but *ahem, cultural context, blahblahblahmumblemumble* Job still came out ahead.  IN YOUR FACE, 12 MONKEYS, IN YOUR FA--

...Oh, wait.  Jesus got crowned undisputed dread Lord and Master of the entire Universe for all eternity.  Every comic book supervillain's favorite wet dream.  Neeeeeeeverrrrrrrrrmiiiiind.  *sneaks away whistling innocently*
 1. Roman phalanx tactics would have been very effective against zombies, so they must have stamped it out so quickly that it was nothing to write home about.  Even most of the Gospel writers decided it was a fizzle best ignored, but still--zombie apocalypse!
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 09:26:36 AM »
Cmon guys, stay on topic.

you first

If you can't refute it, don't just say "He's lying!"

No one said you were lying.  They said you missed the point of the post (and/or dodged the actual topic).  Which you did.
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 09:28:45 AM »
   This is a common refrain from Christians that somehow Jesus suffered more on the cross than anyone, anywhere or anytime did. And for this he "died for our sins". First of all I can't  imagine that someone else didn't experience the same or worse. Crucifixion was a common practice at the time ...

pssshhh HELZ YEAH.  I mean, it took Jesus H what, three hours to die?  It was common practice to break the legs of crucifixion victims when they were taking too long to suffocate (for those of you who don't know that's how crucifixion kills ya), so clearly others suffered more than he did.
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 09:31:23 AM »
If you can't refute it, don't just say "He's lying!"

If you can't refute it, don't just lie about what other people said.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:17:39 AM by One Above All »
We choose our own gods.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 10:08:17 AM »

This is a terrible post.  You just throw out an opinion without any explanation or support.  For the record, nobody cares about anyone else's dumb opinions.  We care about the the rationale and facts behind the opinion.  So either include that information in your post, or don't bother posting.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-109
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 10:33:54 AM »

Hm... I'm guessing English is not your first language, or you had a seizure that erased your short-term memory. It's OK, though. Read your post - the innermost quote in this post. Then read my reply to it. Then get back to me once you've figured it out.

Endurance in suffering is not the only measure of man's love, selflessness, and integrity.  The scritptures don't say Christ came to suffer more than any other human has ever suffered.  They say he came to bare witness to the truth.  (Jn 18:37)

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-109
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 10:38:37 AM »

This is a terrible post.  You just throw out an opinion without any explanation or support.  For the record, nobody cares about anyone else's dumb opinions.  We care about the the rationale and facts behind the opinion.  So either include that information in your post, or don't bother posting.

The rationale is already known.  It's Job's suffering while keeping his integrity before God.  The claim being made is that because he suffered more than Christ that makes him better than Christ.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 10:38:53 AM »
Endurance in suffering is not the only measure of man's love, selflessness, and integrity.

Then what is? Because that's pretty much the only description we get from Job in the Bible (in fact, that's his story - endurance in the face of total and complete loss), and you said he was one of the finest examples of those things. Or could it be that... *gasp* you're making it up as you go along??? Nah, you wouldn't do that... Intellectual honesty means a lot to theists, especially Jehovah's Witnesses. Your religion certainly doesn't lie about various subjects, like the number of followers it has.

The scritptures don't say Christ came to suffer more than any other human has ever suffered.  They say he came to bare witness to the truth.  (Jn 18:37)

Off-topic.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:11:00 AM by One Above All »
We choose our own gods.