Author Topic: What's your IQ and how do you view the world?  (Read 640 times)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
What's your IQ and how do you view the world?
« on: July 06, 2014, 12:27:07 PM »
people with high IQ see the world in a different way

I'm curious to see if what 12 Monkeys said is true. How do you view the world, and what's your IQ? If you don't know your IQ, feel free to post your worldview, though it will be purely for expositional purposes, as I won't be taking your worldview into account when coming to a conclusion.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
Re: What's your IQ and how do you view the world?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 03:13:12 PM »
IIRC, one of the people with the highest IQs measured within the last decade or so worked as a bouncer for a bar. I find that interesting because some people think that those with high IQs should strive to be a scientist, teacher, whatever. But a freakin' bar bouncer! I wonder how he views the world?!?

I think this is him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_G._Rosner

Richard G. "Rick" Rosner (born May 2, 1960) is an American television writer and media figure known for his high intelligence test scores and his unusual career. There are reports that he has achieved some of the highest scores ever recorded on IQ tests designed to measure exceptional intelligence.[1][2] He has become known for taking part in activities not usually associated with geniuses. Rosner claims that he has worked as a stripper, roller-skating waiter, bouncer, and nude model.[3][4][5][6][7][8] He has appeared in numerous documentaries and profiles about his activities and views. He has also appeared in both a Domino's Pizza commercial as well as one for Burger King and sued the quiz show Who Wants to be a Millionaire over an allegedly flawed question he missed as a contestant in 2000.[9][10] He writes and produces for quiz shows and for several programs produced by Jimmy Kimmel, including The Man Show, Crank Yankers, and Jimmy Kimmel Live![11]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:17:20 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 07:02:12 PM »
<snip>

After searching images on Google, I can see why he is no longer working as a stripper or nude model. Seriously. No clue as to why they hired him in the first place.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 07:15:23 PM »
Is there an official IQ test you are expecting. there are thousands . many of out top foreign graduates in maths score low cos of the language barriers. IQ tests can be learned and thus the data is useless. a company here trains people to score high in them for job interviews. you are guaranteed an improvement in your score. they simulate public service tests, millitary eg pilot school candidates, large corporate tests, they even teach you how to fake emotional intelligence .

as far as different world view, different from what? a guy with a different world view? like different from something that is not the same?? is that a tautology?
Signature goes here...

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
Is there an official IQ test you are expecting.
<snip>

Nope.

as far as different world view, different from what? a guy with a different world view? like different from something that is not the same?? is that a tautology?

Different from people with a lower IQ. Note: Lower, which is not the same as "low".
We choose our own gods.

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
I'd be willing to bet my entire net worth[1] AND my immortal soul that different people taking the same IQ test and coming up with the same score...say...110...that everybody (or almost everybody) who scores a 110 has a different world view from most of the other people who scored 110.

I'm gonna go on record to say that 12 monkeys comment is pure conjecture.
 1. which isn't much after you factor in debt
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 11:46:05 PM by Mr. Blackwell »

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 11:48:11 PM »
Like mind does not equal like intelligence quotient.

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +21/-1
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 11:56:56 PM »
Define worldview, and provide an example.
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 03:31:31 AM »

The other way around is what 12 Monkeys was inferring. EDIT: In fact, he was inferring that "like IQ = different mind".

Define worldview, and provide an example.

Put simply, it's the way you view the world/Universe and everything in it. Of course, this must be summarized; to say what you think of every single thing would probably take longer than your lifespan. Example:[1]
Personally, I think the world is a wonderful place, full of wonderful people. Everyone wants to help each other out. Sure, some people hurt others, but they just want what's best for them, like that police officer who beat a woman to keep her from crossing the highway, even though she was already lying on the ground and was unable to move. It was for her own protection.
 1. Actual example; although I use the pronoun "I" and other such words, this is not my worldview, nor is the opposite worldview necessarily mine.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:21:35 AM by One Above All »
We choose our own gods.

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 05:51:34 PM »

The other way around is what 12 Monkeys was inferring. EDIT: In fact, he was inferring that "like IQ = different mind".

Either way you look at that, it's absurd. There are some extremely intelligent people who believe in some sort of god. There are also some extremely unintelligent people who don't...and visa versa. I bring up God belief simply because I have read arguments here and there that people who don't believe in gods are generally more intelligent. I suspect that might be why 12 monkey's said what he said.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:53:28 PM by Mr. Blackwell »

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 06:02:42 PM »
Either way you look at that, it's absurd.

It does seem like a false statement to me, but I've heard it many times, so I decided to check it out while maintaining a healthy level of skepticism toward it, rather than dismiss it outright due to personal incredulity.

There are some extremely intelligent people who believe in some sort of god. There are also some extremely unintelligent people who don't...and visa versa.

True.

I bring up God belief simply because I have read arguments here and there that people who don't believe in gods are generally more intelligent. I suspect that might be why 12 monkey's said what he said.

Not at all. He mentioned that his son "sees the mundane tasks. (sic) Of everyday living as almost painful".
We choose our own gods.

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
I bring up God belief simply because I have read arguments here and there that people who don't believe in gods are generally more intelligent. I suspect that might be why 12 monkey's said what he said.

Not at all. He mentioned that his son "sees the mundane tasks. (sic) Of everyday living as almost painful".

Ah!

That is just a father's pride speaking. If he had no pride or love for his son then he would describe him as lazy or unmotivated. His son may be very intelligent but that is no excuse for not paying attention to and taking care of mundane tasks. If you are very smart then it should be very easy to take care of normal everyday business.  I don't believe anyone should raise their children to think of themselves as being "above" certain tasks.

That kind of thinking is not a result of the ability to learn but rather a result of social conditioning. If people are conditioned from birth to believe that they are better than everybody else and are special...well...weird things happen. You end up getting people who feel that they are entitled to tell you what to do with your life and judging you if you don't see the world like they do.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 06:37:27 PM »
That is just a father's pride speaking. If he had no pride or love for his son then he would describe him as lazy or unmotivated. His son may be very intelligent but that is no excuse for not paying attention to and taking care of mundane tasks. If you are very smart then it should be very easy to take care of normal everyday business.  I don't believe anyone should raise their children to think of themselves as being "above" certain tasks.

Again, that's not it. I guess I should've quoted the entire post. My apologies. 12 Monkeys said that he was speaking of boredom, then gave the example of his son. I agree that mundane tasks are boring (after all, that's why they're called "mundane"), but I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence. Boring is boring.

That kind of thinking is not a result of the ability to learn but rather a result of social conditioning. If people are conditioned from birth to believe that they are better than everybody else and are special...well...weird things happen. You end up getting people who feel that they are entitled to tell you what to do with your life and judging you if you don't see the world like they do.

Too true.[1] I've met my fair share of idiots like that. I tell them straight-up that they are not better than everyone, nor are they special (nobody fits in either category, in fact). If they whine, I beat them down by taking their accomplishments and exposing my better versions of those same accomplishments (if they exist; if not - which does happen sometimes - I expose my friends and acquaintances' better versions of those accomplishments). That usually shuts them up.
 1. I was raised in an unstable environment in that regard. Sometimes my family told me I was smart, other times they treated me like an idiot. They still do it, unfortunately. I have proven, for example, beyond any doubt, that I'm an excellent cook. Yet they still doubt my judgement when it comes to food. Then I prove them wrong, shove it in their faces (since negative reinforcement seems to be the only way they learn anything), and they apologize for having doubted me. Wash, rinse, repeat. Thankfully, all my teachers and colleagues so far agree that I'm smart, so at least I have had a stable environment at school.
We choose our own gods.

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 07:54:46 PM »
Perhaps I should have clicked the link and read the thread from which you started this post. I am lazy. Boredom is a huge factor when it comes to children of all shapes and sizes. That boredom extends to adults. It's boring to have a regular 9 to 5 job doing the same thing every day. It doesn't matter how intelligent or ignorant you are. Doing the same thing gets mundane. People NEED a change from time to time. But changing routines is considered suspect by some. A change in routine is also catastrophic to some.

Banks in America will not give you a home loan no matter what your credit score is if you have switched jobs in the last four years. There is a lot of pressure to maintain your position. What most people need to learn is patience. Young adults do not understand that they will not become the CEO of their company in 3 or 4 years. It blows their mind that it takes 15 to 20 years to climb to the top and that's only if you are lucky and know the right people.

Success in life has very little to do with IQ.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 08:12:38 PM »
Perhaps I should have clicked the link and read the thread from which you started this post. I am lazy.

You self-entitled prick!!! D=<[1]

Boredom is a huge factor when it comes to children of all shapes and sizes. That boredom extends to adults. It's boring to have a regular 9 to 5 job doing the same thing every day. It doesn't matter how intelligent or ignorant you are. Doing the same thing gets mundane. People NEED a change from time to time.

Agreed.

But changing routines is considered suspect by some. A change in routine is also catastrophic to some.

Both those things apply to old people, from what I've experienced.

Banks in America will not give you a home loan no matter what your credit score is if you have switched jobs in the last four years. There is a lot of pressure to maintain your position.

It's not unusual for banks (and pretty much any powerful entity) to "shit on the little guy", as it were. Bizarrely, they don't care if people are healthy, regardless of whether or not they continue to provide them with money.

What most people need to learn is patience. Young adults do not understand that they will not become the CEO of their company in 3 or 4 years. It blows their mind that it takes 15 to 20 years to climb to the top and that's only if you are lucky and know the right people.

Then they're idiots. 3/4 years is basically a trial stage. However, 20 years does seem like a lot. I'd wager it's closer to 15 for most scenarios.

I can neither agree nor disagree with this statement. How do you define "very little"?
 1. Kidding, in case you couldn't tell from the smiley and overuse of exclamation marks.
We choose our own gods.

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 03:18:40 PM »

I can neither agree nor disagree with this statement. How do you define "very little"?

In this case I don't know. I guess it also depends on how one defines success.

My IQ has been clocked several times in the 120-130 range.

I am married, have three children, two cars, central heating and air and I am paying a mortgage towards the purchase of a house. I have a job that not just anybody can do. I am a military veteran of a foreign war. I have several bank accounts and own stocks. My wife is about to receive a masters degree in education.

On the flip side. My house is less than 1000 sq. feet. I live in a poor neighborhood in a town so small we don't even have a stop light...anywhere. My debt is more than I have ever made in my entire life. I only make $9 an hour and I'm lucky if I get more than 35 hours a week. My cars are both well over 10 years old. One runs well...the other...not so much, but it runs. If it wasn't for food stamps I wouldn't be able to feed my kids. The reason I am not still in the military is because I haven't passed the physical fitness test in almost 3 years so when my contract expired I did not reenlist.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 03:27:05 PM »
In this case I don't know. I guess it also depends on how one defines success.

I would assume "success" meant "getting what you want".

My IQ has been clocked several times in the 120-130 range.

That's well above the average of any country.

I
<snip>

Before I judge, I gotta ask: did you have your first, second, and third kids when you were sure you could support them?
Also, why is being a veteran of a war a good thing?
We choose our own gods.

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 04:32:10 PM »
Before I judge, I gotta ask: did you have your first, second, and third kids when you were sure you could support them?
Also, why is being a veteran of a war a good thing?

That can actually go either way. Where I live most people show respect for veterans and often a little more respect from combat veterans. Mostly it's a "good" thing because of the benefits. Which is why I joined in the first place.

We didn't make a decision to have our first child...or rather, she came a few years ahead of schedule because we didn't take the necessary precautions. We planned on the second child and tried for a few months before success. Still, with two children we were managing. I had a pretty good job and just joined up with the Tennessee Army National Guard. Our future was bright. We bought a house and about two months after my second daughters 1st birthday I was called up for active duty to go to Iraq.

We conceived our third child shorty after I got back from that mission. I had almost $30,000 in the bank and also some stocks and several 1 oz. gold coins.

Things get complicated after that. I went down hill very fast. Made some horrible life choices. And now we are back to square 1.

My wife is in school and I am working a job making about the same that I was making 11 years ago before we started our adventure only now, I have three kids instead of none.

When we come out of this current "readjustment period" we will be doing better financially than we ever have before.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 04:40:07 PM »
That can actually go either way. Where I live most people show respect for veterans and often a little more respect from combat veterans. Mostly it's a "good" thing because of the benefits. Which is why I joined in the first place.

OK.

<snip>

At least you planned for your children (mostly). I asked because most people don't really seem to make the connection that children=expenses, so they have kids before they can actually support them.

When we come out of this current "readjustment period" we will be doing better financially than we ever have before.

I hope it comes sooner rather than later. Good luck.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-4
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 03:47:23 AM »
How do you view the world, and what's your IQ?

IQ however measures just a very narrow range of "intelligence" - certain types of logical reasoning, and narrow fields of linguistic knowledge (at least, the ones I've taken).  I've never encountered IQ tests that measure the ability to take apparently disassociated facts and draw reliable conclusions from them, which I would regard as a far more reliable indicator of intelligence.

So I would in general see people with high IQs as having a larger vocabulary, and an ability to make short logical conclusions.  For the most part yes - I could call that intelligence, but then again I've known people with high IQs who make incredibly dumb decisions.

And I include myself in that.  FWIW. last time I had it professionally measured, my IQ was 172, if that's useful for you?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 05:15:10 AM »
<snip>
last time I had it professionally measured, my IQ was 172, if that's useful for you?

Now if you could post your worldview, that would be great.
We choose our own gods.

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 05:43:10 AM »
Mr B interesting story. you come across pretty positive considering yr going thru a rough patch financially. i visited a place called gallatin in Tn. worked for a mule trader nearly and foolishly joined a mercenary group to work in afganistan when the russians were there. lucky for me i did not join.  Tn was awesome, could have lived there easy.

on IQ's i read an article refuting white superiority and the tested white and black. the results showed northern blacks were more intelligent than southern whites.

On worldviews i am still trying to get one. it keeps changing.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:46:01 AM by eh! »
Signature goes here...

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 05:49:56 AM »
on IQ's i read an article refuting white superiority and the tested white and black. the results showed northern blacks were more intelligent than southern whites.

I'm pretty sure southern potatoes are smarter than the majority of people in the Bible belt.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-4
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 08:15:15 AM »
<snip>
last time I had it professionally measured, my IQ was 172, if that's useful for you?

Now if you could post your worldview, that would be great.

How many pages do I have?   :)  Seriously, worldview about what?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 08:20:49 AM »
How many pages do I have?   :)

How much space does the forum have?

Seriously, worldview about what?

Good point. To keep it simple, say what you think about people - the good, the bad, the ugly, and the obscenely hot who only exist to make others jealous and/or (physically) attracted to them.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 06:44:17 PM »
I don't know what my IQ is. I had to get both of my kids tested to get them into a gifted program at school. Let's just say the boy is over 120 and and the girl is over 120. I assume I am somewhere is there.

My world view is materialist.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 06:52:33 PM »
I don't know what my IQ is. I had to get both of my kids tested to get them into a gifted program at school. Let's just say the boy is over 120 and and the girl is over 120. I assume I am somewhere is there.

I doubt your kids' IQ is a good indicator of how high yours is, but I'll take it.

My world view is materialist.

Thanks for posting here.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-4
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 02:58:09 AM »
Seriously, worldview about what?
Good point. To keep it simple, say what you think about people.

People?  Heh - that could be several books alone.  But briefly....

Most people, most of the time, do not think - they react.
Most people want to be left alone to get on with their lives.
People are not inherently good or bad - they are primarily the product of their circumstances or environment.

Perhaps most importantly, almost everyone feels that they are doing the right thing (or convinced themselves of that).  Very, very few people spend their time doing things that they know, and admit, are bad.

In short, people are apes.  Less hairy, better finger configuration, a bit more aware and intelligent - but basically just apes.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 04:08:30 AM »
People?  Heh - that could be several books alone.  But briefly....
<snip>
In short, people are apes.  Less hairy, better finger configuration, a bit more aware and intelligent - but basically just apes.

Can't say I agree. I believe we're all selfish, deep down, no matter how we were raised. We don't do anything unless we stand to gain from our actions, even if we won't be alive to accept that gain, or even if we're not consciously aware of how we stand to gain. I've never seen, heard about, or even imagined a single action that wasn't selfish in nature.
We choose our own gods.