Author Topic: About ignoring users  (Read 386 times)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
About ignoring users
« on: June 29, 2014, 12:46:09 PM »
Is there any way to put users on ignore so that nothing whatsoever shows up from those users? For example, if I put someone on ignore, it still shows their name on the left side of their posts, along with a note that says "You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.". This kind of defeats the purpose of ignoring, IMO, if all you have to do is click a link and you can see their posts, not to mention that you are still reminded, both in-thread and on the unread posts and unread replies lists, that they've posted.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
Re: About ignoring users
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 05:40:35 PM »
That's not a bad idea. Is it possible?

I have felt the same aggravation. The way it is currently set up is like

"Hey, this person you are trying to ignore just posted something. Are you sure you don't wanna read it?"
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 06:18:39 PM »
Sometimes the flow of the thread may not make sense without the ignoree's post so you have the option to read it if that is the case.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 06:23:47 PM »
Sometimes the flow of the thread may not make sense without the ignoree's post so you have the option to read it if that is the case.

If you haven't considered that a thread may not (read: will not) make sense by removing someone's posts, you really shouldn't be using a forum, IMO.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +51/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 07:44:50 PM »
It's not a bad idea, but such a feature isn't available by default in SMF, and I just quickly browsed the SMF mod site and found nothing relating to this, so the option to complete ignore a user and forget he/she even exists at all is probably highly unlikely able to be done. (FWIW: when I browsed the mod site I searched for Ignore and Ignore user and only got about 5 mods each. None of which would be helpful to the OP)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:46:33 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 10:37:45 PM »

If you haven't considered that a thread may not (read: will not) make sense by removing someone's posts, you really shouldn't be using a forum, IMO.

why
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 02:58:31 AM »
why

Because a forum is made up of many people; not just the individual.
We choose our own gods.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 09:11:17 AM »
why

Because a forum is made up of many people; not just the individual.

Of course but each post contributes to a thread.  Sometimes when a person's post is not read the following posts don't make sense as they are responding to that post.  That is why you have the option to read it or not.  It is your choice depending on exactly how repugnant you find the person you are ignoring.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 11:03:40 AM »
Of course but each post contributes to a thread.  Sometimes when a person's post is not read the following posts don't make sense as they are responding to that post.  That is why you have the option to read it or not.  It is your choice depending on exactly how repugnant you find the person you are ignoring.

And if you're[1] not aware that other people's posts are relevant to the context, you're an egocentric idiot.
 1. General, non-specific "you".
We choose our own gods.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-91
  • "Question Everything"
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 06:01:42 AM »
Ignoring people is rude.  What if they ask you a question?  You are required to answer every question here at WWGHA.

I think they should do away with the ignore button.  If someone is bothering you; report them.

It's too christian for an atheist website.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 06:11:36 AM »
Ignoring people is rude.

Being rude is rude. Is being rude to rude people rude?

What if they ask you a question?

If I've ignored them, it's for a reason. I'm not ignoring them because they make good points or ask important questions. Quite the opposite, in fact.

You are required to answer every question here at WWGHA.

I highly doubt they (the people asking questions) care, unless the question is deemed so argument-obliterating that ignoring it is interpreted as an attempt to ignore the fact that he/she (the person being asked the question) is wrong.

I think they should do away with the ignore button.  If someone is bothering you; report them.

The offenses for which I've ignored people (blatant dishonesty and such) are not against the rules, so I can't report them and expect the mods to do anything about it.

It's too christian for an atheist website.

Not everything christians do is wrong, just like not everything atheists do is right.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +33/-115
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »
Is there any way to put users on ignore so that nothing whatsoever shows up from those users? For example, if I put someone on ignore, it still shows their name on the left side of their posts, along with a note that says "You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.". This kind of defeats the purpose of ignoring, IMO, if all you have to do is click a link and you can see their posts, not to mention that you are still reminded, both in-thread and on the unread posts and unread replies lists, that they've posted.

I wasn't even aware ignoring users is allowed.  Is it?
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 01:05:21 PM »
I wasn't even aware ignoring users is allowed.  Is it?

Technically yes. You can put users on ignore, but if a mod deems a question to be important, and said user reports you for not answering it, then the mod may tell you to answer the question, even if you're ignoring the user.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 01:52:31 PM »
Using the ignore feature also keeps unwanted parties from PMing you as well, which was a glorious blessing for me.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 02:05:05 PM »
Is there any way to put users on ignore so that nothing whatsoever shows up from those users?
Short answer: No.

Long answer: That functionality could be added by an SMF modification, but currently no such mod exists.  As you can see, the two existing "ignore user" mods are in the SMF 1.1.x series, while this forum is SMF 2.0 RC4, and the 1.x and 2.x series are incompatible.[1]

The functionality you want could be added in one of two ways:
  • Someone could write a new mod with that functionality.  However, they would most likely write it for SMF 2.0.8,[2] and it probably would not be backwards compatible with SMF 2.0 RC4.[3]
  • Someone could manually write the changes into the forum code.  However, this requires access "under the hood," and the admins do not currently have that access.[4]

I suppose someone could find the install for SMF 2.0 RC4, load it onto another server, write a mod for the complete blocking, package it, and install it onto this forum but, let's face it, no one's going to do that.  Which brings us back to the short answer...
 1. In other words, mods from 1.x will not work on 2.x.
 2. The most recent SMF version.
 3. This forum's SMF version.
 4. If they did, they would likely start by installing SMF 2.0.8 and updating all their addons before even thinking about trying to code this.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:06:39 PM by Mooby »
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 03:25:28 PM »
Hi Mooby  :D

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 10:34:58 PM »
Is there any way to put users on ignore so that nothing whatsoever shows up from those users?

I've trained my brain to ignore 99% of things worth ignoring. I just posted in a Junebug thread, so every once in a while 1% comes into view.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.