Author Topic: Challenge to any theist to prove existence of god.  (Read 3975 times)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Re: Challenge to any theist to prove existence of god.
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 11:51:20 AM »
You and your interpretations have yet to be proven correct on even the simplest level. You are not proving anything here,including your "truth"

You're absolutely right. I haven't proven it to anyone. I've proven it to myself though.
how can you tell you have not been deceived by Satan or some other demonic god like being? You really can't,can you?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 11:55:23 AM »
Science is not the enemy here; it's likely the best possible tool for the job.

Science is not the enemy.  The misuse and misunderstanding of science is the enemy.  Considering that we only know about 5% of what is in our own universe, is it at all surprising scientists have not "discovered" God?  Scientists likely couldn't even discover any sufficiently advanced or different life form in this, our own, universe but I have heard some pretty far out scientific speculations.  So to say that something does not exist because there is no scientific evidence for it is foolish.  I can imagine some cave men standing outside talking to one another, scratching their balding heads, burping and drinking beer as they agree, "Yep, the earth is flat because there is no evidence it's round". 

Really, what else are we supposed to do when confronted with multiple contradictory examples of a supposedly universal truth?

That is a very good question.  What do you think should be done?  Examine them?  Disbelieve them all?  Create your own?  I chose to examine them.

If we want to find a god, we have to start cutting away everything that doesn't look like a god.

I agree.  So is there anything that can be easily discarded?
you really are ignorant and living under a rock,science have found planets they believe could be habitable for life,but are much to far away to know for sure.....go crawl back in the cave with your god
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +27/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 09:26:25 PM »
Sigh.

Can't say I'm dissapointed. I saw it coming.

I'll just bump these incase they've forgotten.
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-39
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2014, 09:37:04 PM »
$100 Bucks says he will have you answering his questions on how science and logic can't answer how the universe exists there god is proven to be true in less than 3 posts.

that's what he does.
Signature goes here...

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +27/-2
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2014, 09:50:55 PM »
$100 Bucks says he will have you answering his questions on how science and logic can't answer how the universe exists there god is proven to be true in less than 3 posts.

that's what he does.

Then he will lose the challenge. Simple.

OP says "Prove the existence." We're not here to make me prove a negative. He is here to prove a claim.
"God is just and fair"

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +105/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2014, 10:23:41 PM »
so your god holds up because you say so,remember the other 39,999 other denominations are worshipping Satan,and think you are the Satan worshipper.

I wouldn't be surprised if they think that. Bible says that the way to the truth is narrow. So it's not surprising if a large number of people couldn't see the truth.

You're absolutely right. I haven't proven it to anyone. I've proven it to myself though.

So everyone is wrong except you! Think about that for a moment. Billions of people are wrong, but you have found the correct belief. Which is more likely that you are mistaken or that you are a genius?
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 06:58:29 AM »
So everyone is wrong except you! Think about that for a moment. Billions of people are wrong, but you have found the correct belief. Which is more likely that you are mistaken or that you are a genius?

Do you really want to hear his answer to that question?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
I did start a thread a while back about atheists providing evidence for their position but no one ever did. it got a lot of replies but no evidence was actually presented of said position.

Really?  I must have missed that one.  Can you link to it please, so I can present you with my evidence?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +415/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2014, 11:03:35 AM »
I did start a thread a while back about atheists providing evidence for their position but no one ever did. it got a lot of replies but no evidence was actually presented of said position.

Really?  I must have missed that one.  Can you link to it please, so I can present you with my evidence?

I suspect it's this one:
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,26445.0.html

Good luck sifting through it.  It's a beast.  Doubly-difficult because Jesuis has some posts in there.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2014, 04:08:42 AM »
Hum.  To be honest, I'm loathe to necromance a 45-page thread that has been dormant for ten weeks.  I'd be happy to do a one-on-one with Skeptic if he would be interested.

I'm presuming (without reading all 45 pages!) that the challenge was to prove "no God", as opposed to "no gods"?  The OP sounds like the former is correct, but I'd prefer to make sure so we don't waste our time.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2014, 04:52:20 AM »
We admit that it is a belief. Although, there is evidence if you look in the right places.

Besides, no atheist has yet to prove that God can not / does not exist. If an atheist could do this, then theism would disappear. I also never heard an atheist explain why they think God doesn't exist.

Oh for the love of Zeus, where have you ever shown this??? And then you (very rightly) follow up with this:

Proving something to yourself in no way proves it to be true.

Well, that certainly doesn't seem very fair. I have to provide evidence for my position but you don't have to provide any for yours? Life must be all gumdrops & lollipops for the atheist.  :laugh:

Can you prove that there are no flying saucers?  No?  Then I take it you believe that the Earth is being visited by aliens in disc-shaped spacecraft? 

Since your claim is that atheists are not justified in disbelieving in your particular god until they can prove it doesn't exist, that means you must believe in the existence of everything you can't prove to be non-existent.  So, rather than being a monotheist, you believe everybody's gods and goddesses exist (go ahead: prove Inanna doesn't exist).  You believe in poltergeists and spontaneous human combustion and psychic powers and the chupacabra and sea serpents and ghosts and Atlantis and...well, pretty much everything anybody has ever claimed to believe in, right?  Right?

Those things are not in the same category as God though. God is completely different. God is that which none greater can be conceived. You have to first prove they are in the same category.

Special pleading. This can be dismissed.

You really are your own special breed of troll, aren't you Skeptic54768... Burden of proof. Read about it. Try to understand what it means. Realise how it applies when used in this forum. Then, and most importantly then, STOP USING IT IN YOUR PATHETIC ATTEMPTS TO 'PROVE' THAT YOUR GOD EXISTS. Because no matter how you try to warp it, the burden of proof will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, fall on your shoulders.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-39
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2014, 05:07:32 AM »
God is that which nothing greater can be conceived is an empty statement.
Signature goes here...

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2014, 06:19:55 AM »
Defiance, honestly, no one has ever proven the existence of God. On a forum, on TV, via debate...you know it hasn't happened. Their evidence is their beliefs, often the number of their followers (though they argue internally who truly is a representative), and sometimes their books. That is all they have and will likely ever have. I don't think the majors will ever go away, people will still always want to believe that there's more than us out there, somebody superior to offer us a better existence. I just hope that eventually millions of those who want to slaughter others in the name of their god would look to the past and see that the rest of us have left that stuff behind years ago. Time to get with the reality of living on earth with others who don't believe what you do.
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2014, 07:03:01 AM »
God is that which nothing greater can be conceived is an empty statement.

Exactly. It is completely pathetic. Until Skeptic can accurately describe each and every attribute his god has, then no one will ever be able to 'conceive of anything equal to or greater' than it. And Skeptic has never, ever, ever managed to do that, despite all his blah-blah-blah holier-than-thou bullshit. Which, in his limited warped little mind, means he has somehow thinks he has 'won'.[1]

Sorry Skep. Your god is still a complete fallacy. And your Jesus. And your Holy Ghost (which you don't seem to talk about very much - have you two had a falling out or something?)  &)
 1. Yay! You get the prize! It's a heaping helping of ridicule!

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +27/-2
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2014, 07:09:13 AM »
Defiance, honestly, no one has ever proven the existence of God. On a forum, on TV, via debate...you know it hasn't happened. Their evidence is their beliefs, often the number of their followers (though they argue internally who truly is a representative), and sometimes their books. That is all they have and will likely ever have. I don't think the majors will ever go away, people will still always want to believe that there's more than us out there, somebody superior to offer us a better existence. I just hope that eventually millions of those who want to slaughter others in the name of their god would look to the past and see that the rest of us have left that stuff behind years ago. Time to get with the reality of living on earth with others who don't believe what you do.
We understand this, but do they? Do they see their fairy tales as just myths or real events? Obviously not myths, or they wouldn't believe.

A god simply does not exist. This is my stance, until someone proves me wrong. Until then, (to theists) have fun thinking fairy tales are legit.
"God is just and fair"

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-39
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2014, 07:35:17 AM »
Def its myth and parable when its too awkward to admit to but when its fantastic and just too cool for school then its all real.

its as simple as if its good it god when its bad its the absence of god..... yadayada.
Signature goes here...

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +435/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2014, 10:28:42 AM »
Those things are not in the same category as God though. God is completely different. God is that which none greater can be conceived. You have to first prove they are in the same category.

What do "categories" have to do with anything?  You can file Yahweh into the category of That Which None Greater Can Be Conceived, and decree that he exists because what category he's in.  I can file him into the category of Mythical Beings, and decree that he doesn't, but how could that possibly affect the probability of his existence, or what epistemic procedures would work best to validate or falsify the claim of his existence?  You don't really think that, if your library put the Harry Potter books in the "History" section, that it would mean Harry is real, do you?

And if you can conjure Yahweh into existence by choosing to assign him to a particular category, does that not make you greater than Yahweh? 
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2014, 12:35:37 PM »
God is that which none greater can be conceived.

Except....I can conceive of a being that is exactly as powerful as god, but diametrically opposed.  Evil where your god is good.  Forget a Satan that god will send to hell, I can conceive of a being far greater and darker, the exact mirror opposite of your god.

And because I can conceive it, it must perforce exist.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2014, 01:40:32 PM »
God is that which none greater can be conceived.

Except....I can conceive of a being that is exactly as powerful as god, but diametrically opposed.  Evil where your god is good.  Forget a Satan that god will send to hell, I can conceive of a being far greater and darker, the exact mirror opposite of your god.

And because I can conceive it, it must perforce exist.
how can you be much more evil than BibleGod? He creates a problem then kills millions (as per the story) because of the problem he created,or allowed.

Then there is He'll where most of the people who have lived and died in the last 20,000 years now take up residence. How much more evil a God can you create?

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2014, 10:50:46 PM »
I have an inarguable thread defining God.  You were there. 

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,26775.0.html

The Christian that tried failed as well.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +27/-2
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2014, 11:12:56 PM »
I have an inarguable thread defining God.  You were there. 

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,26775.0.html

The Christian that tried failed as well.
Is this directed at me? Or everyone generally?
"God is just and fair"

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +27/-2
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2014, 07:35:26 AM »
Challenge is still up for any theist to take the grab.
"God is just and fair"

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2014, 03:20:10 AM »
Jiminy Cricket, I'd just like an answer to this...

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,27041.0.htmll

It sure would clear up a few things quick smart.

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +27/-2
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2014, 09:02:07 PM »
Come on guys, if god is everywhere, the proof should be abundant and obvious.

I'm still here.
"God is just and fair"

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +54/-444
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2014, 09:25:25 PM »

I'm still here.

In my opinion, God was proven thousands of years ago. obviously, you disagree. But, this doesn't mean God is not proven.

The universe is the biggest proof there is for God. If there was no God, we shouldn't expect to see a universe at all.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2014, 11:39:28 PM »

I'm still here.

In my opinion, God was proven thousands of years ago. obviously, you disagree. But, this doesn't mean God is not proven.

The universe is the biggest proof there is for God. If there was no God, we shouldn't expect to see a universe at all.
skep,how does this statement in any way prove a god?

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +54/-444
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2014, 11:42:09 PM »

I don't know what kind of proof atheists are looking for. They make it impossible for anyone to prove God to their satisfaction because they never tell us exactly what WOULD prove to them that God is real. they always say things like, "it could be an alien!"

So, either explain what would prove to you that God is real or admit that it's futile and a waste of time to even try.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2014, 11:47:34 PM »

I don't know what kind of proof atheists are looking for. They make it impossible for anyone to prove God to their satisfaction because they never tell us exactly what WOULD prove to them that God is real. they always say things like, "it could be an alien!"

So, either explain what would prove to you that God is real or admit that it's futile and a waste of time to even try.
i agree it's a waste of time to look for evidence where there is 0% found so far

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +54/-444
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2014, 11:56:44 PM »
i agree it's a waste of time to look for evidence where there is 0% found so far

Then why are you here constantly arguing on this website and asking for proof?

Some random unnamed people might see that as a "foolish action."