Author Topic: Why Exactly Does Biblegod Hate Homosexuals?  (Read 3809 times)

Online natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-0
  • Polyatheist
Re: Why Exactly Does Biblegod Hate Homosexuals?
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2014, 12:30:48 AM »
... I mean, is there no one alive today who can speak for God?

Didn't you know? Skeptic now speaks for his (version of) god. Ask Skep, he knows it all...
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +57/-452
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2014, 01:25:07 AM »
Didn't you know? Skeptic now speaks for his (version of) god. Ask Skep, he knows it all...

I don't speak for God. I merely show you what is in the Bible. God did all the talking already. I just pass on the message. Does the messenger make up the message?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +57/-452
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2014, 01:26:58 AM »
Well, what if Billy Graham says that God told him homosexuality was not really so bad after all?

it wouldn't be God who told him that.....

I mean, is there no one alive today who can speak for God?

Correct. There is no one alive today who speaks with God directly. Once the Bible was finished, God stopped the direct communication.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-39
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2014, 02:20:36 AM »
So prayer is a fallacy is a fallacy and all those millions of xians who claim that god speaks to them are telling lies or are insane.  All those ministers listening to god in front of thousands of worshippers every sunday.... lies.

anyhoo divert away .... still no proof of god lol.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:24:06 AM by eh! »
Signature goes here...

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +57/-452
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2014, 02:29:13 AM »
So prayer is a fallacy is a fallacy and all those millions of xians who claim that god speaks to them are telling lies or are insane.  All those ministers listening to god in front of thousands of worshippers every sunday.... lies.

anyhoo divert away .... still no proof of god lol.

Prayer is perfectly fine. I am saying God does not speak audibly to people.

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-39
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2014, 03:13:20 AM »
Skep please don't be si rude and ignore my question. why did al perfect, all good, all just omni-everything make a man's anus a centre for orgasim.
Signature goes here...

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-39
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2014, 03:15:15 AM »
Er read your post audible was not mentioned conversation was slippery little demon define communication then.
Signature goes here...

Online natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2014, 03:20:00 AM »
You are so full of shit.

I don't speak for God. I merely show you what is in the Bible. God did all the talking already. I just pass on the message. Does the messenger make up the message?

it wouldn't be God who told him that.....

How do you know? I THOUGHT YOU DIDN'T SPEAK FOR YOUR GOD.

I am saying God does not speak audibly to people.

Do you seriously think people don't notice your lies?
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +112/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2014, 04:46:13 AM »
Homosexuality

Because it is just another marked imperfection in humanity.  All Christians must work to overcome their imperfections.  Some carry a heavier load than others.

Wrong. Homosexuality is not an imperfection, it is an important part of the natural variation in humans which helps to stabilise the level of population.

Your opinions show the danger of religion in spreading false information and bigotry. We have already seen what a bigot you are on another site, haven't we?
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-39
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2014, 04:51:53 AM »
Link to other site please.

btw imo it has nothing to do with population and is not an imperfection. i would like to know what else skep calls imperfections in humans.

i have worked with youth in crisis, some suicidal about their homosexuality and resolving it with their upbringing. idiots like skep make these young men feel this way. [mod edit: removed unnecessary personal attack]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:07:42 PM by jetson »
Signature goes here...

Online Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2014, 09:28:35 AM »
Christians still haven't addressed the question; What exactly is wrong with homosexuality?

It doesn't unite 2 people together as 1. The vagina was made for the penis. The butt was not made for sex, it was made for pooping.

Even heteros doing it is sinful. It makes a mockery out of the unification process known as sex.

"It doesn't unite 2 people together as 1" - explain how gay people cannot be as united as hetro folk?

So in the wacky world of Christianity, oral sex is as sinful as homosexual sex? How about kissing with tongues? Mouths are 'designed' for eating and speaking, not for sticking tongues in, so that also is as sinful as homosexuality?

How about if I use my fingers on my wife? Is that sinful or ok? I truly pity you poor Christians for the imaginary chains you force yourselves to wear!
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-1
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2014, 10:11:58 AM »

Actually, the fact that the Bible speaks against homosexuality is part of what proves that it is of divine origin.

Think about it logically. if there truly was no God, then they would have just said, "Yeah there is no God and we see that a lot of people enjoy homosexual sex so let's allow them to keep having it." The fact that they knew something was off about it shows it could not have come from human minds.

Lots of other material in this thread since this bit, but let's just go back to it.

Think about it logically.

Homosexuals are a minority. Minorities tend to be disliked and distrusted. Sex is one of the strongest drives humans have. A heterosexual man, drawn irresistibly to women will naturally find the idea of homosexual relations strange and inexplicable. He will naturally conclude that there is something "wrong" with it since he has no perspective other than his own feeling that women are desirable.

On the other hand, he could harbor homosexual feelings himself, but seeing that he is the "odd man out", he will try to suppress them, and strive (consciously or unconsciously) to develop feelings of disgust for them.

Because homosexuality, even if open, is a minority, there is already going to be a natural bias against them by people who simply cannot understand or identify with their urges.  Add in the reactions of those fighting those urges in themselves, and you have a perfect recipe for prejudice and hatred. All simply because of a lack of understanding. No "divine origin" needed.

Offline JoeNobody

• Student
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2014, 10:23:45 AM »

Woah, boy! Now I've heard it all. These crazy conspiracy theories from the non-believers are hilarious.

Nobody mentions this in the past 2,000 years of history then all of a sudden Joe-Nobody pops up and says "He was a homosexual" and expects to be taken seriously?

Could you pick another name please?

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +33/-115
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2014, 10:47:51 AM »
Homosexuality

Because it is just another marked imperfection in humanity.  All Christians must work to overcome their imperfections.  Some carry a heavier load than others.

Wrong. Homosexuality is not an imperfection, it is an important part of the natural variation in humans which helps to stabilise the level of population.

Your opinions show the danger of religion in spreading false information and bigotry. We have already seen what a bigot you are on another site, haven't we?

Answering the question posed does not make me a bigot.  The question was not about my opinion.  Jehovah doesn't like liars either.  Does that make me a bigot also?
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +28/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2014, 10:58:03 AM »
Homosexuality

Answering the question posed does not make me a bigot.  The question was not about my opinion.  Jehovah doesn't like liars either.  Does that make me a bigot also?
No. But we can see the type of person you are through the answer.

Now, is homosexuality wrong just because your non existent god says it is, or is it because bible writers were homophobes?
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +599/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2014, 11:03:29 AM »
Another thread filled with skeptic's convoluted rationalizations to justify why his belief is correct and why he has no need to change it.  Imagine that.

Well, at least he isn't hateful about it.

Actually, the fact that the Bible speaks against homosexuality is part of what proves that it is of divine origin.
Sorry to say, but it really doesn't prove a thing.

Quote from: skeptic54768
Think about it logically.
Not trying to be rude, but watching you try to use logic is like watching a train go off the rails.

if there truly was no God, then they would have just said, "Yeah there is no God and we see that a lot of people enjoy homosexual sex so let's allow them to keep having it." The fact that they knew something was off about it shows it could not have come from human minds.
As expected, major logic fail.  They didn't like it because the idea of a guy having sex with another guy was 'icky'.  It had nothing to do with it being 'wrong' or 'sinful'.  And also, the idea that homosexual sex is 'off' can't have come from human minds, but cars and airplanes and computers and rockets and submarines and the internet and (...), which are far more foreign to the human mind, did?  The only reason you think this is logical is because it happens to support what you already believe.

I forgot to clear something up. God does not "hate" homosexuals anymore than he "hates" any other sinner.

He just wants them to repent of their ways and ask for forgiveness and go to heaven.
Which, of course, is why they get to go burn in hell forever if they don't "repent of their ways and ask forgiveness".  Because the ultimate expression of love is to throw someone into a furnace if they don't do what you want them to.  Or at least that's the impression I get from Christians.

Ah, but if God did that, then God would be Satan. See how that works? It would be Satan masquerading as God if "God" actually said that.
How convenient for you that you can automatically exclude anything said by 'God' that you don't agree with. 

Since goodness is God's nature, there is no way God would ever say that rape is good. Euthrypo is a false dilemma.
Funny how he gave the Hebrews permission to commit mass rape and mass murder whenever they conquered a city.  Actually, he didn't give 'permission', he ordered them to; all the men right down to the infants and all the non-virgin women were slaughtered, and all the women and girls who were still virgins were prizes so their conquerors could fulfill their sexual desires.

I am sorry but it appears that some of you guys simply just do not get it.

The laws of fabric were in the OT, correct? Jesus did away with those laws.
Or at least that's the spin you're putting on "it is finished", so you can justify why all those Jewish laws were no longer valid the moment Jesus died.

Now you will say, "Aha! But skep! The verse against homosexuality is in the OT too! Does that mean you can throw it out?"
To which I would reply, "No, because Paul condemns homosexuality in the NT. Had Paul condemned clothing of mixed fabric, you can bet your bottom dollar that we Christians would be following that as well."
So because Paul thought homosexuality was icky, it must still be hated by God?  Yeah, somehow I don't really buy into Paul speaking for God the way you do.

Lots of prophecies have been fulfilled. The problem is that the ones that have not yet been fulfilled have been dubbed "Failed" by the atheists.
It's really easy to 'fulfill' a prophecy, too.  Just invent whatever attributes you need for your formerly-human 'divinity' to have, let simmer for a few years or decades, and voila.  Bonus points if you took those attributes from some other (false) deity.

It doesn't unite 2 people together as 1. The vagina was made for the penis. The butt was not made for sex, it was made for pooping.
So...why put the waste disposal chute right next to the pleasure center?  I mean, seeing as having it there allows for stimulation of the pleasure center through it.  Wouldn't it have been better to make sure they were separate enough to prevent that?

Even heteros doing it is sinful. It makes a mockery out of the unification process known as sex.
Actually, the purpose of sex isn't to 'unify' two individuals, it's to allow the semen from a male to reach the egg from a female.  This whole 'unification' business is an attempt to make sex seem like it's somehow more mystical than it actually is.

It serves a purpose. See, this a problem among evolutionists over the meaning of vestigial. Just because you can live without something doesn't mean they aren't important.
I think you'd better check the definition of 'vestigial' again.  It doesn't mean something you can live without, it means a rudimentary or degenerate structure.

For example, I can get both my arms and both legs amputated and still live. Does this mean those are all vestigial? Not hardly.
As the arms and legs are not rudimentary or degenerate, I would hardly call them vestigial.

reboots the digestive system.

Look it up.
That's one hypothesis, yes.  And hypotheses can be wrong.  Quite easily, in fact.  Maybe you'd better rethink this line of argument.

Same with the appendix, then. It serves a purpose but you could still live without it.
We are in agreement, then.
Actually, we don't know if the appendix serves a purpose or not.  The "reboots digestion" thing is simply a hypothesis.  A more recent one is that it acts as a safe house for 'good' bacteria to prevent the immune system from destroying them.  But we don't know for sure if either is true.

Time for the evolutionists to find something that actually serves no purpose, yet we still have.
Actually, everything in the body "serves a purpose".  The question is whether it serves a meaningful purpose, rather than being the vestige of something that served a real purpose at one point.

You are going off the deep end now. We are talking about organs that SERVE NO PURPOSE, yet still exist in the body. You haven't given one example of this yet. I will then assume we need everything in our bodies.
Actually, we don't need everything in our bodies.  For example, the body suffers no ill effects from the removal of the appendix, for example.  Most people actually benefit from the removal of the wisdom teeth.  And nobody's ever figured out why we have a tailbone (easily explained by being the result of evolution from an ancestor organism which did have a tail)).  Let's not forget the muscle groups that, at best, allow people to wiggle their ears (again, easily explained by being the result of evolution from an ancestor organism which needed to be able to swivel its ears).  Oh, let's not forget the tonsils, which cause way more problems than they're worth.

I can go on, if you'd like.

So what? I already agreed to this. We are specifically speaking of organs that serve no purpose whatsoever that evolutionists use to try and prove their beliefs. If there is no such organ, then you can still believe there is a useless organ, but that wouldn't be called science.
As I just showed, there are more than a few organs which did serve a purpose at once point, but serve no purpose now.  Well, unless you think having a tailbone serves some purpose.

What makes you think the message is from God?  I'm quite serious here.  The whole Bible, from start to finish, could have been nothing more than a deception made up by these demons of yours to trick people into thinking that they aren't powerless, but to keep them from actually being able to do anything meaningful.

If you don't like that, how about propaganda to try to make people fear and worship a particular god (whether existent or not).  I'm sure I could come up with plenty of examples of this that came straight from the Bible.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +33/-115
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »
Link to other site please.

btw imo it has nothing to do with population and is not an imperfection. i would like to know what else skep calls imperfections in humans.

i have worked with youth in crisis, some suicidal about their homosexuality and resolving it with their upbringing. idiots like skep make these young men feel this way. idiots like skep are scum.

Skep didn't say that.  I did and the question wasn't about my opinion.  Check the subject of this topic.  And parents that make their homosexual children suicidal are another example of human imperfection.  Consider the case of Jesus and the prostitute.  He did not condemn her.  Neither will I condemn a homosexual.
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +107/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2014, 11:34:26 AM »
Christians still haven't addressed the question; What exactly is wrong with homosexuality?

have you stated the OT is just a bunch of stories....or not ? Adam and Eve is just a story then right.... No fall of mankind associated to the A&E "story" then.... Right? Stop using the OT as your go to reference guide as fact when you need it..... And as story when it's pure evil.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline superfly

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • go ride a bicycle
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2014, 11:43:44 AM »
I'm still waiting for the Jesusists to show me where Jesus spoke out against homosexuality.
Considering how much time, effort and importance so many of them place on this subject, you'd think that the man/God they follow would have railed against it. But he didn't.

All i hear is the chirping of crickets.

Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!
Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +33/-115
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »

have you stated the OT is just a bunch of stories....or not ? Adam and Eve is just a story then right.... No fall of mankind associated to the A&E "story" then.... Right? Stop using the OT as your go to reference guide as fact when you need it..... And as story when it's pure evil.

I've never stated the Hebrew scriptures are just a bunch of stories.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +107/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2014, 12:20:53 PM »
So in your opinion they are all real time events?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline YRM_DM

• Graduate
  • Darwins +92/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2014, 01:03:31 PM »
What's the deal with Biblegod's hatred of gay people? He's ok with slavery but hates two men or women loving each other? What precisely does he have against this? I've heard it's because Biblegod wants us to reproduce; so does he also hate single people? People that biologically can't have children? Old people that marry and can't have kids? Married couples that can have kids but choose not to?

Now to me it's simple; as gods don't exist, this is just bronze age tribesmen not liking something without knowing why.

So theists; what precisely is wrong with homosexuality? Why do you think your god doesn't like it? Imagine some concrete evidence could be shown to you to prove your god doesn't exist; would you still dislike homosexuality and why?

I think it must be about reproduction.  A lot of places in the bible, it says women are only saved through having children... and when Jepthath came home and had to kill his daughter after a rash promise to God in Judges, his daughter's big lament was that she wouldn't marry and have children.

I'm not a theist now, but, when I was, I guess homosexuality bothered me because I wasn't all that educated about it, and growing up in the 1980s, the worst thing you could call someone was F-----!.   Every insult among teenage guys was about the other one being gay.

Two of the most abusive, bullying kids actually turned out later to be gay, I guess giving some truth to the rumors about homophobes secretly being gay and self-hating because of the times and stigma.

After growing up in that environment, it was hard to shed some of those bad feelings.

I think most churches teach that it's "wrong" but it doesn't mean that the people are bad or evil or not worth talking to... at least, the churches I'd attended were teaching along those lines.

Once I figured out that god was imaginary, one of the first things to go were feelings about giving any kind of crap what other people do in the privacy of their bedroom, or whether they are married, or what gender they are... who cares?

Are they hurting anyone?  No?   Go have fun.

At this point, I've worked with organizations that have helped gay couples to adopt babies, so, I really came a long way from a religious kid growing up in the 80s where being "gay" was the worst thing a person could possibly be, to now, where I am totally fine with it other than maybe flipping away from Brokeback Mountain.

I guess in answer to your question?

Realizing God was Imaginary made Homosexuality "a-ok" in my world view.

You can't spell BELIEVE without LIE...  and a few other letters.  B and E and V and I think E.

Online Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2014, 01:18:52 PM »
I'm still not understanding why Biblegod has such a problem with homosexuals. Christians; can you be clearer?
The way I see it from Christians so far;

1. The Natural Argument - 'Being gay isn't 'natural' in Biblegod's eyes. But as we've mentioned, neither is flying in aeroplanes, using the internet or getting tattoos. Please explain why the latter is ok but the former is not.

2. Biblegod wants babies, that's what sex is for - Please explain why being gay is a sin but marrying with no intention of having children isn't. Do all you Christians only have sex when you want a baby?

3. Penises mustn't go in bottoms - Why not? Are sex toys used by married couples also sinful? How about ear rings? By this argument metal mustn't go in ear lobes; is this also sinful?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline YRM_DM

• Graduate
  • Darwins +92/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2014, 01:33:48 PM »
Like I tried above, I can sort of answer the question as an ex-Christian...

But I think the main reason why it's called to the carpet as a sin in Christianity is because it's not something that most Christians are doing openly.

They come down really hard, in churches, on the use of porn, or sexual sin... but nobody can really be singled out for that, y'know?  The pastor probably has 4Gb of Porn on his church computer but nobody knows it until it becomes a scandal.

Homosexuality is something "outside" the circle of normal church sins like adultery, porn, stealing, violence, etc.

All those things are "bad" and get a big shaming finger if they are exposed, but, most church goers understand them, and want to forgive that if the person says, "I did bad" because they're doing a lot of the same things.

It's easier to single out because it's an outside group and it's "different"

There's no actual "good reason" for all the homophobia or aversion.   You'll never get one.   When I was Christian, and had a poor view on the topic, I didn't have good reasons for it either.

Christians are always taking a beating for "not being good enough" without the grace of god and Jesus... "God loves you just how you are... but believe this or burn forever, and are you turning sunday football into your new "god" and blah blah blah sin sin sin you're not good enough."

It helps to have a group lower on the totem pole of God's hate... remember how much he hates humanity as evidenced all throughout the OT.

It really comes from low self esteem and delusions of this imaginary god that's watching everything and judging it.
You can't spell BELIEVE without LIE...  and a few other letters.  B and E and V and I think E.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +33/-115
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2014, 01:46:58 PM »
So in your opinion they are all real time events?

You are just not understanding.  I am not here to promote my opinion.  The less I do that here the better.  I will tell you what the scriptures say.  The scriptures present them as historical facts.  That is all I'm going to tell you.  Anything beyond that is personal opinion.  The scriptures say this. "Do not go beyond what is written." Then you will not be puffed up in being a follower of one of us over against the other." (1 Cor 4:6)

If you want to know someone's opinion then ask someone else.  If you want to know what is written then I will do my best to tell you without projecting my opinion onto it.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +33/-115
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2014, 02:15:53 PM »
What causes homosexuality?

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +28/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2014, 02:23:06 PM »
What? Cause?

What causes colour choice? Blue is pretty? Green is nice?

Are you trying to imply a biological cause?
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +280/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2014, 02:27:12 PM »

It's still being researched, but I'd guess that it has both a genetic component and an environmental component.  I doubt that it's socially driven, in the sense that someone's upbringing can substantially determine it, but more likely a chemical switch that activates a gene sequence under certain conditions such as high population density.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline YRM_DM

• Graduate
  • Darwins +92/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2014, 02:49:42 PM »

It's still being researched, but I'd guess that it has both a genetic component and an environmental component.  I doubt that it's socially driven, in the sense that someone's upbringing can substantially determine it, but more likely a chemical switch that activates a gene sequence under certain conditions such as high population density.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit of nature + nurture, and there are probably a lot of shades rather than just "gay vs straight".

I think the social component can have an effect, and here are some examples.

- It's a lot less of a stigma for young, pretty, college women to experiment.   I don't have stats to back this up but I think there's more experimentation when you're not going to suffer for trying things out.

- In ancient armies... the Greek army for example, soldiers often had relationships while at war, and then went back home to their wives and kids.

- In prison, guys who, outside of prison, are perfectly attracted to women, somehow rationalize that it's ok in the joint as long as they're not on the receiving end.   But they're clearly able to become interested or even have limited relationships.

- I knew a few guys in college who seemed very interested in girls.  After some rejections or life-changing experiences, they found acceptance with homosexual friends and gradually steered that way.   Maybe some people stop on the group that accepts them most.

What I'm saying is, for many people, if you put them in different circumstances, or raised them differently, or whatever, they could end up preferring same sex partners or they could end up exclusively preferring same sex partners.

I don't think it's an overt choice... the greek soldier didn't "choose" to be drafted into a years long war and fall for the guy next to him in the phalanx out of loneliness and horniness... the prisoner didn't intend to go to prison... the college girl having the drunk slumber party didn't go in imagining she'd try out a few new things.

So people experiment, and some find that it's more for them.   People are just people, if you put 20 guys on a space ship for 20 years, a few of them would end up together because they are friends anyway, and then stuff happened.

There are people you meet that you could swear fit the "born gay" category but are apparently happily married, and there are manly men and feminine women who are gay/lesbian.

So maybe genetics control which way you lean?   But reality is what gives you the push over the fence to one side or the other.

Based on all that, I'd be really surprised if they proved it was 100% genetics... like, no environment issues factor in at all?

I think politically, a gay person benefits from saying that they have "no choice" because it takes away the bite and blame from religious corners... if they have no choice, it takes the argument from bible Sally.

But let's say it's part choice/part genetics?  Who cares?   God is imaginary anyway.  Bible Sally is wrong.    If some straight guy down the street decides to try the other side one day and likes it and doesn't come back, I don't see how that concerns me or why it'd be wrong, even if it IS partially a choice.

Like the song says, "I can't change... even if I tried..."   But so what if she could change and just doesn't want to change?

How about "I could change... but I don't want to because I'm in love and happy!"   What'd be wrong with that?

God is imaginary.   There's no sin going on there.   Who cares?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:53:33 PM by YRM_DM »