Author Topic: Nowhere to Run and Hide  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +300/-32
Re: Nowhere to Run and Hide
« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2014, 06:40:09 AM »
Simple scenario:  There is a single small life-raft available on a sinking ship.  The ship holds 1000 people.  The life-raft can hold at most a dozen.

I don't see it as morally wrong to use the life-raft to save some people.  Junebug would apparently prefer that nobody be saved.

Junebug prefers there be enough life boats.  Can't you comprehend any thing?

Weak very weak.  Not impressed at all. :blank:

So if you're in a sinking ship, and people are scrambling for enough life rafts your solution will be to prefer that there be more.

That's lovely.  It won't save anyone's life, but it's just lovely.

Now, do you have an answer to the actual hypothetical I put forth?  Here it is so that you can read what it really says:
Simple scenario:  There is a single small life-raft available on a sinking ship.  The ship holds 1000 people.  The life-raft can hold at most a dozen.

What would you prefer, given the scenario as described?  Rejecting the scenario doesn't deal with it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 06:51:15 AM by Azdgari »
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Online Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +28/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2014, 07:08:54 AM »

God has proved God to me.  Maybe if you had a better less scenical more sincere desire you may find God as well.  According to my definition of God our existence is proof.

I will refer you back to my thread, How do you define God?
Like I said, if you have any new evidence, present it.

We're not getting lost in definitions. You have to prove your god. You have no right to be mad at anyone for your loss of an argument.
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2014, 07:17:05 AM »
If atheism can't bring something positive to this world it is useless. 

If the whole world were atheist maybe things like this wouldn't happen. Surely that would be a positive thing?

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +300/-32
« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2014, 07:19:23 AM »
^^ Junebug will just prefer that it didn't happen.  That's good enough, apparently.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +411/-5
« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2014, 07:21:56 AM »
....remember animals are also souls and so is Jehovah.  It means living being and is often translated that way.  Further, I'm not the one using it.  I quoted scripture and OAA objected to the use of the word soul in reference to Jehovah, wrongly saying that I said souls do not exist.

I do generally refrain from using the word so people don't get the wrong idea, but I don't remove the word from scripture where it appears.

Understood.  Thanks for clarifying. 
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2014, 07:50:22 AM »
The remark about chemo brain was a low blow.  That hurt a little bit because of who said it.  Being a poor loser is how I decided someone one say such a thing.

You commented that you were experiencing the symptoms of chemo brain. I've been having a hard time making sense of the thread (as far as I can tell, the topic is about what to do with the remaining humans on Earth in 4.5 billion years when the sun explodes), and in light of your observation that you are experiencing the symptoms of chemo brain I decided not to try to get clarity on the topic.

Thus I'm a poor loser.

You still haven't rebuked my reply to you.  It was the only reason I could think that such a kind and caring person would hit below the belt.

I hope you learned something about chemo brain.  I really wish I hadn't shared that info here.  I did not think it would be used against me.

Sigh. I really hate it when you get like this junebug. The internet doesn't allow for the kind of exchange we should be having right now, so I'll have to work with the limits of this medium.

First, I can't address your post the way you have it written. Here's why:

Rebuke
: to speak in an angry and critical way to (someone)
re·bukedre·buk·ing
Full Definition of REBUKE
transitive verb
a :  to criticize sharply :  reprimand
b :  to serve as a rebuke to
:  to turn back or keep down :  check
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rebuke
I'm pretty sure you already think I've done this. I'm also fairly certain that you actually meant "refute", and the rest of this post will assume so.

So, refuting your reply to me. What did you say that you would like me to argue against? I've looked back at the two posts I see that you directed to me, and I think I've responded appropriately to each.

I did write a post to you that I haven't seen any reply to, and I'm wondering if you've seen it yet. It's right here: http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,27010.msg622160.html#msg622160 <---   This post will further explain my thoughts on this thread and a few others you've started or participated in.

Also, I've indicated that I'm having a hard time understanding what you are arguing in favor of - my understanding of this thread (based on something I'm pretty sure you said) is that you are asking how to save the people on Earth when the sun explodes. I've already stated my position on this question - I expect humans to be long gone by then - either dead[1] or spread out to other habitable planets. Technology will be vastly different - notice I didn't say "better"? No way to guess WHAT will be possible in 4.5 billion years, give or take a few million, so I see this thread as arguing based on things we have no way of addressing or even guessing about NOW.

If you have something to say that you want me specifically to discuss, let me know what it is.

edited to add: missed the chemo brain remark that I intended to address. I'm familiar with the concept - you're not the first person I know to undergo chemotherapy. Believe it or not, it didn't occur to me that it might be influencing your posts because I don' keep a file folder of every details of fellow members circumstances at any moment in time. Once you posted a reminder, I immediately backed off out of consideration for the difficulties you have to deal with under these circumstances.

Yet somehow, once again, I'm the bad guy - for letting you off the hook based on the explanation you offered.
 1. by which I mean extinct or evolved into something we today may not even recognize as "human"
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:00:18 AM by Jag »
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-14
« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2014, 11:26:46 AM »

I didn't say that.  I've said humans don't have an immortal soul.  I've explained this here just recently.  People ARE souls.  They do not HAVE souls.  "My soul" is the same thing as saying "I".

Jstwebbrowsing, being one of the few to take on the soul can you follow this link and explain what the soul is?

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2014, 05:54:33 AM »

I didn't say that.  I've said humans don't have an immortal soul.  I've explained this here just recently.  People ARE souls.  They do not HAVE souls.  "My soul" is the same thing as saying "I".

Jstwebbrowsing, being one of the few to take on the soul can you follow this link and explain what the soul is?

How about starting a new thread.  This one is already mangled enough.  Thanks.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2014, 05:58:43 AM »
The remark about chemo brain was a low blow.  That hurt a little bit because of who said it.  Being a poor loser is how I decided someone one say such a thing.

You commented that you were experiencing the symptoms of chemo brain. I've been having a hard time making sense of the thread (as far as I can tell, the topic is about what to do with the remaining humans on Earth in 4.5 billion years when the sun explodes), and in light of your observation that you are experiencing the symptoms of chemo brain I decided not to try to get clarity on the topic.

Thus I'm a poor loser.

You still haven't rebuked my reply to you.  It was the only reason I could think that such a kind and caring person would hit below the belt.

I hope you learned something about chemo brain.  I really wish I hadn't shared that info here.  I did not think it would be used against me.

Sigh. I really hate it when you get like this junebug. The internet doesn't allow for the kind of exchange we should be having right now, so I'll have to work with the limits of this medium.

First, I can't address your post the way you have it written. Here's why:

Rebuke
: to speak in an angry and critical way to (someone)
re·bukedre·buk·ing
Full Definition of REBUKE
transitive verb
a :  to criticize sharply :  reprimand
b :  to serve as a rebuke to
:  to turn back or keep down :  check
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rebuke
I'm pretty sure you already think I've done this. I'm also fairly certain that you actually meant "refute", and the rest of this post will assume so.

So, refuting your reply to me. What did you say that you would like me to argue against? I've looked back at the two posts I see that you directed to me, and I think I've responded appropriately to each.

I did write a post to you that I haven't seen any reply to, and I'm wondering if you've seen it yet. It's right here: http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,27010.msg622160.html#msg622160 <---   This post will further explain my thoughts on this thread and a few others you've started or participated in.

Also, I've indicated that I'm having a hard time understanding what you are arguing in favor of - my understanding of this thread (based on something I'm pretty sure you said) is that you are asking how to save the people on Earth when the sun explodes. I've already stated my position on this question - I expect humans to be long gone by then - either dead[1] or spread out to other habitable planets. Technology will be vastly different - notice I didn't say "better"? No way to guess WHAT will be possible in 4.5 billion years, give or take a few million, so I see this thread as arguing based on things we have no way of addressing or even guessing about NOW.

If you have something to say that you want me specifically to discuss, let me know what it is.

edited to add: missed the chemo brain remark that I intended to address. I'm familiar with the concept - you're not the first person I know to undergo chemotherapy. Believe it or not, it didn't occur to me that it might be influencing your posts because I don' keep a file folder of every details of fellow members circumstances at any moment in time. Once you posted a reminder, I immediately backed off out of consideration for the difficulties you have to deal with under these circumstances.

Yet somehow, once again, I'm the bad guy - for letting you off the hook based on the explanation you offered.
 1. by which I mean extinct or evolved into something we today may not even recognize as "human"

QUIT BLAMING YOUR WEAKNESS ON ME, GOT IT, GET IT, GOOD!!!

for now...
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +411/-5
« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2014, 06:09:41 AM »

What would you prefer, given the scenario as described?  Rejecting the scenario doesn't deal with it.

I would prefer - always - that SOME people get saved.  Similarly, if I'm in a burning building with my two children, and I can only reach and rescue ONE of them, I will do so - I won't leave both to die just because I cannot save both.

Doesn't mean there would not be consequences for me, or the survivors, as a result of that decision.  Nor does it necessarily say anything about the decision process that I should go through.

In the lifeboat example, for example, I can think of a few criteria that might be useful - but equally have pitfalls.

Save the women and children?  Sounds good - but weaker upper body strength means they may not be able to row far enough from the ship to avoid the undertow.
Save the strongest men, so they can row?  Makes the lifeboat heavier for the same number of people, making it more likely to sink once launched.
Save a mix of women and children and men?  Sounds good - but this is a family of four, and that is a family of eight.  Do we reject the family of eight, so that two families of four can live?  Is that "fair"?

In the lifeboat scenario described - fortunately - it probably would have no time for thought, it would be first in would be saved (survival of the fastest runners?  Or survival of those more likely to barge to the front?)  In the spaceship scenario, where we have more time to decide - and where we CANNOT save everyone - then I stand by what I originally said: you send the people who would have the greatest chance (through skills or health or whatever) or succeeding in establishing and surving in a colony on that other world.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2014, 06:20:00 AM »
QUIT BLAMING YOUR WEAKNESS ON ME, GOT IT, GET IT, GOOD!!!

No junebug, I don't. I still don't know what you are talking about.

for now...

Ooh, ominous.....
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2014, 06:39:53 AM »
Simple imple dimple topic: 
Religious; there is no deliverance.  If there is we all go or nobody goes.

Atheist; there is no other planet to live on this is our HOME.  If there is we all go or nobody goes. 5 billion years is not long enough!  My bloodline may still exist. 

This is it.  There is nowhere to run and hide.  No god/s or science is going to get us OUT.  There is a very simple yet for some reason extremely complicated cure for suffering and here it is.

We have to save ourselves here on Earth.   We need to cure "narcissism."

DIAGNOSIS DICTIONARY
Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Individuals with narcissistic personality disorder generally believe that the world revolves around them. This condition is characterized by a lack of ability to empathize with others and a desire to keep the focus on themselves at all times.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder

We can cure many Mental Health Disorders by changing the society that creates it. 

Yes the more I think about it the more I see mankind suffering from an epidemic of poor mental health.  I think it will only hold us back if you do not make this a TOP PRIORITY!!!  I see this this curing many other health problems, many. i.e. cancer, diabetes, heart problems, lung problems, or at reducing the # substantially.

Now who has the gloomiest outcome? ;)

Jag I'm asking where can I run, where can I hide.  Religion and Science both tell me the world is going to end.  You are telling me I'm right.  I'm fighting for the life of the Gibson bloodline.  Don't you want to save yours?

I have a hard time believing such an intelligent woman can't get it.  Maybe you should look deeper inside.  I think you can't stand for a theist to be right.  Geeze it doesn't mean God exists.  I'm half atheist half theist.  Maybe that will make it easier for you to except.  Then maybe, just maybe we can find a place to run and hide.

I have a lot of respect for your heart Jag.  You love your fellow man.  I know you do.  Come on now, you can admit it here,  It's going to feel real good I promise. :D
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2014, 06:44:20 AM »

Humm, what do you want me to say.  I'll say that. 

You make no sense whatsoever here.

How could having more life rafts not save lives?  Really, I mean really?  That's 4th grade math Azgardi.

10/1000=100  bam all lives are saved!!!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:25:46 AM by junebug72 »
Thomas Paine

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2014, 06:50:13 AM »
^^^RUN AND HIDE FROM WHAT?

As I've stated at least twice - I understand that we are discussing the evacuation of the planet when the sun explodes in roughly 4.5 billion years. I've also explained at least twice why I see no reason to participate in a discussion about that. Is that the scenario we are working with here, or have you changed your mind about what is going to provoke this mass exodus?

Did you read the post at the other end of the link I provided?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2014, 06:51:13 AM »
<snip>

Here's an example of a theist who can't answer a simple question, most likely because she herself does not know the answer. However, instead of being honest about it, she decides to dodge. Oh well. Reported, like your other dodge.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2014, 06:52:06 AM »

...Do you honestly think she read any part of your post?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2014, 06:58:45 AM »
What do the feelings of hatred by Jehova have to do with whether it's morally right for him to save some and not others?

It is morally right for him to get rid of the wicked and the violent while he rewards those that love peace.  It would be morally wrong to make those that love peace to forever live in a world with the violent.  Once the violent are gone, there will be peace.

God created the righteous and the wicked, no?  So for God to destroy them for being what God created is morally wrong in human terms.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2014, 07:12:23 AM »

God has proved God to me.  Maybe if you had a better less scenical more sincere desire you may find God as well.  According to my definition of God our existence is proof.

We're not getting lost in definitions. You have to prove your god. You have no right to be mad at anyone for your loss of an argument.

Okay but you have to cooperate sincerely.  Just let me know. 
Thomas Paine

Online Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +28/-2
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2014, 07:16:29 AM »

If by cooperate you mean agree with you, and not ask you for evidence where evidence is due, then no.

This is what your position needs to do:
-Provide Evidence that god is not imaginary, that he exists regardless of humans imagining him existing.
-Or concede, AND admit your god is imaginary, and does not exist outside of imagination and make-belief worlds.
"God is just and fair"

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2014, 07:17:27 AM »
If by cooperate you mean agree with you, and not ask you for evidence where evidence is due, then no.

That's exactly what she (and other theists) means when she says something like that. That's also what theists mean by "keeping/maintaining an open heart" and "keeping/maintaining an open mind" and other such phrases.
We choose our own gods.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2014, 07:19:20 AM »

As I've stated at least twice - I understand that we are discussing the evacuation of the planet when the sun explodes in roughly 4.5 billion years. I've also explained at least twice why I see no reason to participate in a discussion about that. Is that the scenario we are working with here, or have you changed your mind about what is going to provoke this mass exodus?

From the end of the world.

Take your pick.  Armageddon, asteroids, every volcano erupting at the same time,  disease, etc...

What I'm truly running from are two concepts.  Religion and atheism.  I'm deep like an ocean.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2014, 07:21:16 AM »

-Provide Evidence that god is not imaginary, that he exists regardless of humans imagining him existing.
-Or concede, AND admit your god is imaginary, and does not exist outside of imagination and make-belief worlds.

If you're not willing to cooperate quit demanding evidence.  I have to take you to it.  It does not come to you.

I did not say agree I said cooperate.
Thomas Paine

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2014, 07:46:15 AM »

Edit: gotta go to work junebug, I'll check back later for a reply.

Take your pick.  Armageddon, asteroids, every volcano erupting at the same time,  disease, etc...

What I'm truly running from are two concepts.  Religion and atheism.  I'm deep like an ocean.

Well, I'm not running from either so this really sounds like your problem, not mine. Again, specifically please junebug, what exactly are you expecting me to argue against? It's clear that YOU know what you are thinking, but I don't.

And you didn't answer my question about the other post I linked for you.

Past the first line, you ignored my entire last post.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:06:59 AM by Jag »

Online Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +28/-2
« Reply #168 on: July 17, 2014, 02:37:01 PM »

If you're not willing to cooperate quit demanding evidence.  I have to take you to it.  It does not come to you.

I did not say agree I said cooperate.
Sigh. What do you mean by cooperate?
"God is just and fair"

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2014, 04:23:42 AM »

Edit: gotta go to work junebug, I'll check back later for a reply.

Well, I'm not running from either so this really sounds like your problem, not mine. Again, specifically please junebug, what exactly are you expecting me to argue against? It's clear that YOU know what you are thinking, but I don't.

And you didn't answer my question about the other post I linked for you.

Past the first line, you ignored my entire last post.

I don't consider important enough to lose a buddy over it.  You're the only 1 I got. 

I think you're not getting it because I don't want to argue.  I really thought this was a topic we could all work peacefully together on.  A theist just can't make peace with atheist I guess.  I've tried so very hard.  I give up.  I'm leaving TR today to stay with some friends so I'm at rock bottom right now.  I couldn't make it w/o God right now.  I'm hurting real bad right now.  My belief in God is the only thing keeping me together right now.  That and I believe in myself.  I'm going to tell more in the advice section.

I'm very sorry I missed your question.  No to be honest I haven't looked at the link.  I'll do it now.  It's been a very, very busy week.  Again advice section.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #170 on: July 18, 2014, 04:25:48 AM »
Again thanks for pointing out my error.  I'll be sure to return the favor. 

Again really tough few weeks. I apologize sincerely for not replying to your post.  Your reply has been posted.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:58:19 AM by junebug72 »
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #171 on: July 18, 2014, 06:01:12 AM »

I don't consider important enough to lose a buddy over it.  You're the only 1 I got. 

I think you're not getting it because I don't want to argue.  I really thought this was a topic we could all work peacefully together on.  A theist just can't make peace with atheist I guess.  I've tried so very hard.  I give up.  I'm leaving TR today to stay with some friends so I'm at rock bottom right now.  I couldn't make it w/o God right now.  I'm hurting real bad right now.  My belief in God is the only thing keeping me together right now.  That and I believe in myself.  I'm going to tell more in the advice section.

I'm very sorry I missed your question.  No to be honest I haven't looked at the link.  I'll do it now.  It's been a very, very busy week.  Again advice section.

I changed my mind.  I'm not sharing. 
Thomas Paine

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
« Reply #172 on: July 18, 2014, 02:33:15 PM »
junebug, I honest to goodness do not understand the problem. I don't understand what you are asking for. I don't understand how to address your points the way you want them addressed because I don't understand what you want from this discussion.

How any given end-of-the-world scenario is going to play out is going to depend completely on what resources are available to help "solve" the problem at the moment in time that it occurs, assuming that a solution is even possible. Evacuating the planet is not feasible at this point in time, even for just a small number of people - it's simply not an option. I don't know what else to say about it without some clarity from you.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +300/-32
« Reply #173 on: July 18, 2014, 04:31:20 PM »

Humm, what do you want me to say.  I'll say that.

I originally asked you whether you would, in the case where you could save some in the life-raft or save none in the life raft, prefer the former or the latter.  You decided to prefer another scenario entirely.

You make no sense whatsoever here.

How could having more life rafts not save lives?  Really, I mean really?  That's 4th grade math Azgardi.

10/1000=100  bam all lives are saved!!!

I never said anything about this.  I gave a scenario - a situation where for whatever reason there aren't enough life-rafts.  I asked what you would do.  You chickened out from answering it.  Why?