Author Topic: People who say 'I'll pray for you'  (Read 130 times)

Offline shokenman

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
People who say 'I'll pray for you'
« on: October 28, 2014, 12:14:56 PM »
Ok just curious how you guys react to someone saying 'I'll pray for you'
IT used to be I would say 'Thank you for thinking of me'.
But now i actually find it annoying.
Its like I can't do anything tangible or worthwhile to help you out, but I'll pray to god for you.
I actually will say in response  'don't bother'

How about you guys?

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +406/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: People who say 'I'll pray for you'
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 12:19:08 PM »
I think you should try to go back to taking it as 'Thank you for thinking of me.'

Seriously - that's pretty much the primary sentiment most people are really trying to get across to you.  Yes, some of them really do mean that they'll think to the airpray for you, and that's their business, but really, I'm pretty sure even those people are, first and foremost, letting you know that you'll be in their thoughts.

Or, I suppose, they're saying it as a mindless pleasantry similar to 'Have a nice day'  and are just fulfilling their end of the social contract in the way they best see fit.  And you still shouldn't be too annoyed by it.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 12:31:45 PM »
The only circumstances I would find that offensive would be where I needed someone's direct, immediate assistance and they felt that prayer alone was sufficient. That's yet to occur in my life; all believers that I know recognize that prayer by itself isn't going to cook a meal, drive someone to the hospital or move a 300-lb sofa.

So I see it as a social pleasantry, much as I say "Take care," or "Have a good trip." In all honesty, at times I find it mildly irritating, but not worth getting worked up about. Life is too short.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline YRM_DM

• Graduate
  • Darwins +82/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 01:00:46 PM »
Its like I can't do anything tangible or worthwhile to help you out, but I'll pray to god for you.

How about you guys?

A lot of times it's like a blow-off.  They're not going to think of you, pray for you, or try to help you.   They don't even spend a few minutes considering your situation.
You can't spell BELIEVE without LIE...  and a few other letters.  B and E and V and I think E.

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +114/-1
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »
"Praying is the least one can do!"

That is literally true and people who say they will pray for you really mean it - that's all they will do for you.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 02:14:36 PM »

How about you guys?
To say "I'll pray for you" is a very insulting statement, though those that say do not realise it is, they think they are doing something positive for you.  It is however saying that you are somehow lacking something. When it is said to me. I reply with "And I will take time out of my day to cast a spell in your honour." I do this so they actually think about what they said. Even though I think it may fall on deaf ears.

Bert
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 04:45:49 PM »
Just tell them you will think for them.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 11:12:13 PM »
If they don't know I'm an atheist, then I let it slide, and take it in the spirit intended.

If they know I'm an atheist, then they're just thumbing their nose at me in their passive/aggressive bullshit way, and I treat it accordingly.
Denis Loubet