Author Topic: Skep; Please accept the chair of Creationist Studies.  (Read 343 times)

Online Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Skep; Please accept the chair of Creationist Studies.
« on: August 04, 2014, 03:57:38 AM »
I accept that peer reviewed science is the best way to explain reality. I have read much peer reviewed research into star age, universe age, Earth age and evolution, and I am satisfied that this is the best way to explain reality.

But perhaps I'm too hasty in throwing out non peer reviewed explanations by creationists? So Skep, here is your chance to teach us for a change. I think we have all made a strenuous effort to educate you, now it's your turn.

Explain in detail;

1. How carnivores such as cats, that only survive on meat, were able to survive on a vegetarian diet. You can of course state 'sin' caused this, but I will expect you to show how 'sin' affected the physiology of cats to turn them from vegans into carnivores. Here you will need to cover dentistry and digestion at least, explaining how the cats body turned to meat eating. And how the act of eating fruit caused this physically.

2. Explain in detail how a human body can live for 900 years. Again you can state 'sin', but you will be required to show how a man's body can survive for this time.

3. Explain where the flood water came from and went to.

4. Explain how all the animals were kept in the Ark, separated and fed. What, for example, did the cats eat?

5. Explain how the speed of light changes to allow us to see star light that is billions of light years away but is only 6000 years old.

6. Explain how trigonometry is 'wrong'.

Best wishes,
Ron.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Online Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Skep; Please accept the chair of Creationist Studies.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 05:58:30 AM »
I'd like to open this up to any creationist. Please feel free to answer the above.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Online Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 01:22:25 AM »
Hmmm, looks like it's down to me to answer these questions that creationists run away from;

1. **!!**Magic!!**
2. **!!**Magic!!**
3. **!!**Magic!!**
4. **!!**Magic!!**
5. **!!**Magic!!**
6. **!!**Magic!!**

Now why can't you atheists see that our view of the world is right and your scientific mumbo jumbo is wrong? Why can't you accept **!!**Magic!!**?

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +543/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 04:34:44 AM »
I mentioned that I had a pair of JWs at the door the other day. I asked them to explain to ne the difference between "magic" and "God doing supernatural things."

Apparently, the answer is, "Because they are. It is obvious."
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 06:34:35 PM »
I think the word 'magic' carries its own baggage - I know that when I hear the word I immediately conjure (ha!) the image of a guy wearing a cape pulling a rabbit out of a hat. Can the word magic be replaced with anything else?
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline DunkleSeele

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »
I think the word 'magic' carries its own baggage - I know that when I hear the word I immediately conjure (ha!) the image of a guy wearing a cape pulling a rabbit out of a hat. Can the word magic be replaced with anything else?
Well, creationists replace it with "Goddidit".

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +792/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 08:48:45 AM »
Welcome DunkleSeele

The big difference between religion and magic is that the religious think they sort of know how god did the tricks, while few of us know how magicians like David Copperfield did anything. Most especially how he managed to marry model Claudia Schiffer. That was some feat.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline DunkleSeele

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 09:11:09 AM »
Welcome DunkleSeele

The big difference between religion and magic is that the religious think they sort of know how god did the tricks, while few of us know how magicians like David Copperfield did anything. Most especially how he managed to marry model Claudia Schiffer. That was some feat.
Thank you ParkingPlaces!

True about the religious, and when they have to admit they don't know, they trot out the usual "Gawd's ways are mysterious" routine.

As for David Copperfield: that made me laugh quite loud (my co-workers are looking at me in a strange way while slowly typing "straightjacket" in the ebay search engine)!

Online jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +413/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 02:19:47 PM »

There was a member here not that long ago who essentially defined 'magick' as 'doing stuff', though apparently 'magick' was in some way different than just 'doing stuff'.  S/he went away before any traction could be made in the conversation.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 03:58:43 PM »
There was a member here not that long ago who essentially defined 'magick' as 'doing stuff', though apparently 'magick' was in some way different than just 'doing stuff'.  S/he went away before any traction could be made in the conversation.

Ahhhh classic.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 08:21:05 PM »
But theists don't know how god does stuff. That is the whole problem between religion and science. If we can't explain something with science, we are supposed to accept a magical supernatural explanation that makes even less sense and is worth even less than the limited science we have.

For example, I have taken medication for depression and other mental problems. The doctors don't know exactly how the stuff works, but it does work and we have the double-blind peer reviewed studies to show it. Plus lots of field testing in patients like me to back up the lab studies.

When some theists hear that scientists are not sure how the brain drugs work, they say, "Aha! You admit you don't know. So how do you know that god is not healing people of depression? Huh? Huh? If you don't know, it could be absolutely anything, including god, right? "

Well, if it could be anything, the girl who came from Planet Claire could be healing people from depression. The Fantastic Four could be healing people from depression. And on and on.  We can't consider every single random impossible thing. We have to look at what we have actual evidence for.

You know, those double-blind peer reviewed studies? Gods, alien girls and superhero families are equally conspicuously absent from the research.

Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +413/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 03:07:21 PM »
The Fantastic Four could be healing people from depression.

Based on the last two films, I think it is rather safe to say that The Fantastic Four is not responsible for healing people from depression.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +100/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »
The Fantastic Four could be healing people from depression.

Based on the last two films, I think it is rather safe to say that The Fantastic Four is not responsible for healing people from depression.

I dunno...I think looking at Jessica Alba enough (regardless of the venu) would cure me of depression
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 05:07:05 PM »
Quite a task. Good luck skeptic.

I am a student of science even then the details worked by my peers are amazingly complex, though precise.
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.