Author Topic: Ebola! From whence did you come?  (Read 288 times)

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
Ebola! From whence did you come?
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:30:28 PM »
I had an 80-year-old JW come to my door the other day out of the blue. A very pleasant fellow, but it didn't take me long to get exasperated with him, especially when he tried to tell me that the Ebola virus was created by people not washing their hands. The interesting bit was, he was trying to tell me that his god created everything that we see here and now (creationist nut), and I pulled him up on his Ebola bollocks by pointing out that if his god didn't make it, then it must have evolved through bad hygiene, as he stated. He started backtracking then.

So the crux, where did the filo-viruses come from? Did god make them? If he did, why? If he didn't, then did they evolve? Where they on the ark? (My JW friend reckons bacteria and viruses started to exist after the flood, and I smacked him down by pointing out that the flood was supposed to have destroyed every living thing, so how did germs survive if they weren't on the ark?)

What was god thinking when he made Ebola?
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
Re: Ebola! From whence did you come?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 06:50:07 PM »
Simple:

Take 1 original sin (must be original).
Marinate the sin in talking snake blood for 6 days.
On the seventh day, cook it in 7,000 degrees Celsius flames of hell. Keep flipping it, to avoid it being burned out of existence before Jesus comes to take it away.
Add one act of sexy time between Adam and Eve.

Let it cool for 6000 years.

Bam, you have Ebola.
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +768/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 07:02:37 PM »
Did he mention that the reason people didn't wash their hands was because they have no clean water or soap or sewage systems or other basic hygienic needs? What evolved isn't ebola, but the indifference of millions to the suffering of other millions.

What has evolved is the human propensity to not give a shit about anything not directly involved with our gathering of wealth. Poor people who won't ever be able to buy the gadget my factory makes in China? Screw 'em.

But yea,  JW who wants to voluntarily introduce the concept of evolution for one specific disease and dismiss it for everything else is just as useless as a JW who don't want to admit evolution at all. Science isn't something to accept only when it helps your back story.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 07:42:05 PM »
LOL he tried to tell me that lions didn't eat meat until after the flood, and that Eve was the most beautiful woman to have ever existed - like that matters.

I've been on this forum for a few years now, and nowhere have I ever seen any theists tackle the germ problem. I'd love to see what Skeptic's take is on it...

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 09:16:13 PM »
LOL he tried to tell me that lions didn't eat meat until after the flood, and that Eve was the most beautiful woman to have ever existed - like that matters.

I've been on this forum for a few years now, and nowhere have I ever seen any theists tackle the germ problem. I'd love to see what Skeptic's take is on it...
To be honest, there's no way out of it.
"God is just and fair"

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +372/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 12:30:54 PM »

He was thinking of Job, and how awesome it is to garner praise from entities regardless of how badly you treat them or how much you ignore them.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 10:10:20 PM »
Good question. Waiting for a theist to answer.
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 10:13:57 PM »
Good question. Waiting for a theist to answer.
Yes to REALLY answer it.

"God is just and fair"

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +887/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 01:58:25 AM »
I have frequently asked which of Noah's family members got to be the incubator for all the bacteria and viruses--I would guess Itchy Seth the Unlucky, or Stinky Ephraim, or maybe Typhoid Mishmannah.

There would also have had to be lots of animals with diseases on board the ark. Sick horses, elephants, warthogs and gorillas. Yum.  :P

I have yet to get a response from any creationist.

It's basically like how Oog the Caveman would explain the world theologically: planet good, sin, planet bad, ark, planet good, sin, planet bad, Jesus, planet good.

What's the next item in the pattern, kids? What always comes after planet good? What do you think god will come up with next to try to fix the mess?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 07:33:16 AM »
Thinking like a creationist, I suppose that certain microbes and bacteria could have survived the flood in the bodies of all the people and animals which perished, then micro-evolved further in what was, no doubt, a feast of rotting flesh and other organic matter afterward. There's scope there for all sorts of nasty diseases to arise.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 05:23:06 PM »
Thinking like a creationist, I suppose that certain microbes and bacteria could have survived the flood in the bodies of all the people and animals which perished, then micro-evolved further in what was, no doubt, a feast of rotting flesh and other organic matter afterward. There's scope there for all sorts of nasty diseases to arise.

Uh uh, creationists don't get to use the word 'evolved'... Also, I'm pretty sure the flood was supposed to kill EVERYTHING.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 09:17:42 PM »

Uh uh, creationists don't get to use the word 'evolved'... Also, I'm pretty sure the flood was supposed to kill EVERYTHING.
They do manage to deal with micro-evolution for the most part, which bacteria to bacteria, germs to germs, etc, would probably not send them into conniptions. And if it enabled their story to hold together better, I think they could manage to exclude microbes from the "EVERYTHING" definition.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 10:43:15 PM »
Funny how creationists have to keep shuffling backwards when it comes to the scientific method and evolution...

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +887/-6
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 12:24:25 AM »
Uhhh. Wasn't the whole point of the flood to get rid of all the evil in the world? Of course it didn't work. People got evil again right away.

Maybe it was because of all the germs god left lying around. We know that certain illnesses (like syphilis and rabies) can cause people to act crazy and do bad things. So, why would god let all the disease germs fester and spread? That does not seem like a plan for making the world less evil.

It is almost as if almighty god did not know that microscopic organisms existed-- and could cause disease. That could not be true, could it? :angel:

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 12:29:39 AM »
It is almost as if almighty god did not know that microscopic organisms existed-- and could cause disease. That could not be true, could it? :angel:

Heretic! God is... he's... HE'S TESTING US!!! Relax, it's all part of the plan.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +887/-6
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 12:55:55 AM »

Heretic! God is... he's... HE'S TESTING US!!! Relax, it's all part of the plan.

Now drink this test tube full of ebola. God's plan requires that you bleed from your eyeballs.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 08:14:51 AM »
Back in the day, this topic was a favorite ongoing stoned conversation. I remember concluding that "God is a mad scientist" was the most reasonable explanation our stoned brains could come up with. 20+ years later, it still fits better than any BS I've ever heard from a true-blue believer. It explains pretty much everything if Earth is the equivalent of a giant petri dish.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 04:11:32 PM »
Oh stop! Everyone knows ebola is a direct result of gay marriage.. All knowing, all loving god just has a really shitty sense of direction.  &)
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +887/-6
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 06:15:25 PM »
Oh stop! Everyone knows ebola is a direct result of gay marriage.. All knowing, all loving god just has a really shitty sense of direction.  &)

No, ebola is because of African countries not allowing teachers to lead prayer in schools. Oh, they do have public prayers in African schools?

Never mind.

God just likes to see Africans suffer for no reason, I guess.  :P

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +221/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 12:49:40 AM »

The nasty viruses come out of rainforests from rats and monkeys, due to human encroachment, and poor hygiene.

Some famous ones are Hanta, Machupo, Marburg, Ebola, HIV.

The reason why they are so lethal, is due to the recent nature of the expansion into humans, due to their recent insistence in penetrating new habitats and then dwelling in rat poo.

With time, either the virus adapts to humans, to be less lethal, or humans adapt to the virus. The black plague in Europe shows a lot of signs of being one of these viruses, rather than yersinia pestis.

Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.